Caleb Bellach Commits!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Caleb Bellach Commits!

Post by BobcatDel » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:19 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:13 pm
Bobcat Del wrote:
I'm not an expert on Caleb as I only saw three of his games this year.... one against Class B Whitehall and two at the state tourney. I echo many of the comments by Grizaddict on his observations though.

Hudl reports his vertical is 36" and he shot 48% from the floor this year. I think as a sophomore he was at 49% but that includes inside and outside shooting, I didn't find stats anywhere on his 3 point percentage. I didn't see Kral Ferch play but from the videos I have seen I would say Caleb is not a Kral Ferch on jumping, Kral looked to be really really special that way. But that being said, Caleb does get up and after it but I just didn't see the 36" vertical. I like his high ball release on his jump shots. The 3 point shot may not be his strength but I wouldn't be afraid to let him take the shot as he has a good shot and he made several in the games I saw... just not quite at the Steph Curry level yet though.

At 6'5" in Class C you might think Caleb would be one of the big underneath guys but thats not where he played. He is active and athletic and as noted runs the floor very well for a bigger kid. Caleb does have an athletic frame to build on and at 6'5" as a junior player in high school I wonder if he couldn't add another inch or so in the next year.

You know who he reminded me of was Scott Koelzer from Bozeman Rosary who played for the Cats about a century ago back when I was in my middle ages. I like that he is a coaches kid and has probably had a lot of one on one coaching. Just my thoughts.

I hope Caleb develops into a nice addition for the Cats.
Wasn't Koelzer more of a power forward? I seem to remember he was like 6'8" or so, wasn't he? He played power forward while I was there with like Bill Brickhouse and Willie Weeks
There you go trying to make me remember again!

But after thinking about it some more I believe you are right. He was a bit taller than Caleb and played tougher on the inside. Yep he played with Weeks and Brickhouse.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:18 am

MTCat75 wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:26 pm
Have yet to hear a coach say " we recrited this kid but he is not an athletic kid at all. In fact ne cannot walk and chew gum at the same time. We don't expect him to score very many points if any. He is not a floor leader and his passing really sucks. We recruited this kid because he plays good defense."
Part of the reason you never hear that is because in the modern game, you pretty much have to be athletic to play good defense. Either you have to be quick enough to stay in front of your opponent's best athletes, or you have to be huge and a good athlete for your size, to specialize in rim protection. The guys who are liabilities on defense tend to either be offensive stars who don't need to focus much of their energy on that part of the game to keep their spot (the Charles Barkley type), and the team's most marginal athletes (the "guy at the end of the bench" type).

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

Willneal
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Willneal » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:36 pm

AWESOME!!!! Congrats Caleb and the CATS!!

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:55 pm

Wasn't Koelzer more of a power forward? I seem to remember he was like 6'8" or so, wasn't he? He played power forward while I was there with like Bill Brickhouse and Willie Weeks
[/quote]

There you go trying to make me remember again!

But after thinking about it some more I believe you are right. He was a bit taller than Caleb and played tougher on the inside. Yep he played with Weeks and Brickhouse.
[/quote]

There were three sophomore starters from Montana high schools during Brickhouse’s senior season ... Weeks, Koelzer and Mark Beckwith. Freshman were not eligible for varsity ball in those years.