Caleb Bellach Commits!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Caleb Bellach Commits!

Post by RobertCats » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:45 pm

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Caleb Bellach Commits!

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:32 pm

\:D/

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by wapiti » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:29 am

=D^ \:D/ :thumbup: :-D

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:53 am

Awesome.

It’ll be fun to have a local kid on the team.

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:37 pm

Will be interesting to see how his game translates. Kid is a great player in class C and has some good upside, but that’s a big jump for sure. I want to keep watching Malatare for the same reason. Always good to get a MT kid!

1990cat
New Recruit

Post by 1990cat » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:02 pm

Saw this and had to join the BN conversation. Been a long time lurker here, but never a participant. Really excited to see Caleb's addition to the Cat team. As an MC grad and a blue and gold blooded MSU alum it doesn't get any better than this. Congrats to Caleb and kudos to the Cat coaches for making it happen. Can't help but think this has got to help fill a few more seats at the fieldhouse.

As an aside, a great deal of thanks to mslacat for all the great info he provides for the Cat basketball team.

KIX
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by KIX » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:06 am

Yes, it will certainly be very interesting to see how his game translates. My thoughts are that he will fill seats only for the fans to watch him sit the bench as an overrated HS player. Bobby Howard was the last MT kid that saw time and was productive. He was hard nosed and aggressive with ball skills...can't say the same about Bellach...plays no D so he has a big adjustment at the D1 level. Seems like another token MT recruit who has family with big booster ties in Danhof. Will be interesting to say the least...

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:17 pm

KIX wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:06 am
Yes, it will certainly be very interesting to see how his game translates. My thoughts are that he will fill seats only for the fans to watch him sit the bench as an overrated HS player. Bobby Howard was the last MT kid that saw time and was productive. He was hard nosed and aggressive with ball skills...can't say the same about Bellach...plays no D so he has a big adjustment at the D1 level. Seems like another token MT recruit who has family with big booster ties in Danhof. Will be interesting to say the least...
Tell us what you really think! :shock: :lol:

GO CATS GO!!!

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:21 pm

KIX wrote:
You've made your opinion blatantly clear with numerous posts like this one. In the end, you may be right or you may not. But what blows my mind is that you are basing it off of watching him play class C MHSA ball and seeing him in some MT all-star tourneys. MSU did not offer him based off of how he plays in his high school season! They offered him based off of how he played on a visit against their guys, as well as how he played in the spring and summer AAU circuit. He has proven he can defend and play at those levels against competition better than anything he'll see in his days at MSU. They played against a future Kentucky player, a future Kansas player, the #4 overall ranked player for 2019, and the #4 overall ranked player for 2021...not to mention the numerous PAC12 or Gonzaga caliber players. Remember he's an 18 year old kid. A reasonable trajectory for him wouldn't see him providing major minutes for possibly 2-3 years from now. Caleb had a great spring...got on a lot of D1 radars. He had a solid summer and MSU pulled the trigger and offered. He earned it. Not because you think Danhof's are boosters (I don't believe they are--but probably will be now!).

So long and short...we get it! You don't agree he can play at that level. I for one am rooting for him to succeed and prove you wrong.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:34 pm

So my knowledge of Caleb is limited, and I know there are folks out there who has seen him more than I have. Does someone want to try to give us a quit run down on his strengths. What is his three game like, his inside game and or intermediate game. Does he have a post up game or is he a slasher? What kind of athleticism and or hops does he have. Where does he like to score. How are his handles. Give us a picture on what he could be as a college player.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:04 pm

LTown Cat wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:21 pm
KIX wrote:
You've made your opinion blatantly clear with numerous posts like this one. In the end, you may be right or you may not. But what blows my mind is that you are basing it off of watching him play class C MHSA ball and seeing him in some MT all-star tourneys. MSU did not offer him based off of how he plays in his high school season! They offered him based off of how he played on a visit against their guys, as well as how he played in the spring and summer AAU circuit. He has proven he can defend and play at those levels against competition better than anything he'll see in his days at MSU. They played against a future Kentucky player, a future Kansas player, the #4 overall ranked player for 2019, and the #4 overall ranked player for 2021...not to mention the numerous PAC12 or Gonzaga caliber players. Remember he's an 18 year old kid. A reasonable trajectory for him wouldn't see him providing major minutes for possibly 2-3 years from now. Caleb had a great spring...got on a lot of D1 radars. He had a solid summer and MSU pulled the trigger and offered. He earned it. Not because you think Danhof's are boosters (I don't believe they are--but probably will be now!).

So long and short...we get it! You don't agree he can play at that level. I for one am rooting for him to succeed and prove you wrong.
Good Lord @KIX , looking through all your posts you sound like a pissed off high school kid who sits the bench behind Bellach or bitter because you play in Eastern Montana and didn't make the state's top 20 list. I sincerely hope that is true, because the idea of a grown adult coming onto a message board and anonymously bashing 17-year-old kids about being lackadaisical, overrated, and lacking mental toughness is just poor form.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:52 pm

RobertCats wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:04 pm
LTown Cat wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:21 pm
KIX wrote:

Good Lord @KIX , looking through all your posts you sound like a pissed off high school kid who sits the bench behind Bellach or bitter because you play in Eastern Montana and didn't make the state's top 20 list. I sincerely hope that is true, because the idea of a grown adult coming onto a message board and anonymously bashing 17-year-old kids about being lackadaisical, overrated, and lacking mental toughness is just poor form.
Great Post

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:22 pm

I would love to see 2 more just like him from MT join Bobcat Basketball. We haven't been real good for some time. Give some MT kids a chance. At least they will play their hearts out and probably stay the entire 4/5 years. He is already better than both of last years recruits who both quit shortly after the season started.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:00 pm

mslacat wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:34 pm
So my knowledge of Caleb is limited, and I know there are folks out there who has seen him more than I have. Does someone want to try to give us a quit run down on his strengths. What is his three game like, his inside game and or intermediate game. Does he have a post up game or is he a slasher? What kind of athleticism and or hops does he have. Where does he like to score. How are his handles. Give us a picture on what he could be as a college player.
I’ve watched him play quite a bit. His strengths are his explosiveness, both off the dribble slashing to the hoop and scoring and his hops. He can dunk easily and has won a dunk competition or two, which always surprises many. He can shoot the 3 ball, but I wouldn’t say that is his strength. He has good vision and can run the floor, find the hoop or the open man.

Keep in mind that is always against some pretty weak Class C competition though, so it’s going to be interesting to see if his game can translate. I believe he has some upside and the talent to get better and possibly hang with the big boys.

Where he will have to dramatically improve his game is on the defensive side. But that’s the case for many of these high powered offensive kids. But to be successful at D1 his defense will have to come a long ways.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:30 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:00 pm
mslacat wrote:
I’ve watched him play quite a bit. His strengths are his explosiveness, both off the dribble slashing to the hoop and scoring and his hops. He can dunk easily and has won a dunk competition or two, which always surprises many. He can shoot the 3 ball, but I wouldn’t say that is his strength. He has good vision and can run the floor, find the hoop or the open man.

Keep in mind that is always against some pretty weak Class C competition though, so it’s going to be interesting to see if his game can translate. I believe he has some upside and the talent to get better and possibly hang with the big boys.

Where he will have to dramatically improve his game is on the defensive side. But that’s the case for many of these high powered offensive kids. But to be successful at D1 his defense will have to come a long ways.
So what you are saying is that he is more of a Kral Ferch them a Tom Domako

MTCat75
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by MTCat75 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:26 pm

Have yet to hear a coach say " we recrited this kid but he is not an athletic kid at all. In fact ne cannot walk and chew gum at the same time. We don't expect him to score very many points if any. He is not a floor leader and his passing really sucks. We recruited this kid because he plays good defense."
Defense can be taught if themkid has the desire. Being athletic can not be taught. I am living proof of that.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:55 pm

mslacat wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:30 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:00 pm
mslacat wrote:

So what you are saying is that he is more of a Kral Ferch them a Tom Domako

I'm not an expert on Caleb as I only saw three of his games this year.... one against Class B Whitehall and two at the state tourney. I echo many of the comments by Grizaddict on his observations though.

Hudl reports his vertical is 36" and he shot 48% from the floor this year. I think as a sophomore he was at 49% but that includes inside and outside shooting, I didn't find stats anywhere on his 3 point percentage. I didn't see Kral Ferch play but from the videos I have seen I would say Caleb is not a Kral Ferch on jumping, Kral looked to be really really special that way. But that being said, Caleb does get up and after it but I just didn't see the 36" vertical. I like his high ball release on his jump shots. The 3 point shot may not be his strength but I wouldn't be afraid to let him take the shot as he has a good shot and he made several in the games I saw... just not quite at the Steph Curry level yet though.

At 6'5" in Class C you might think Caleb would be one of the big underneath guys but thats not where he played. He is active and athletic and as noted runs the floor very well for a bigger kid. Caleb does have an athletic frame to build on and at 6'5" as a junior player in high school I wonder if he couldn't add another inch or so in the next year.

You know who he reminded me of was Scott Koelzer from Bozeman Rosary who played for the Cats about a century ago back when I was in my middle ages. I like that he is a coaches kid and has probably had a lot of one on one coaching. Just my thoughts.

I hope Caleb develops into a nice addition for the Cats.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:05 pm

[
Last edited by Helcat72 on Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2024 Resume dominance

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:13 pm

[/quote]

I'm not an expert on Caleb as I only saw three of his games this year.... one against Class B Whitehall and two at the state tourney. I echo many of the comments by Grizaddict on his observations though.

Hudl reports his vertical is 36" and he shot 48% from the floor this year. I think as a sophomore he was at 49% but that includes inside and outside shooting, I didn't find stats anywhere on his 3 point percentage. I didn't see Kral Ferch play but from the videos I have seen I would say Caleb is not a Kral Ferch on jumping, Kral looked to be really really special that way. But that being said, Caleb does get up and after it but I just didn't see the 36" vertical. I like his high ball release on his jump shots. The 3 point shot may not be his strength but I wouldn't be afraid to let him take the shot as he has a good shot and he made several in the games I saw... just not quite at the Steph Curry level yet though.

At 6'5" in Class C you might think Caleb would be one of the big underneath guys but thats not where he played. He is active and athletic and as noted runs the floor very well for a bigger kid. Caleb does have an athletic frame to build on and at 6'5" as a junior player in high school I wonder if he couldn't add another inch or so in the next year.

You know who he reminded me of was Scott Koelzer from Bozeman Rosary who played for the Cats about a century ago back when I was in my middle ages. I like that he is a coaches kid and has probably had a lot of one on one coaching. Just my thoughts.

[/quote]
Wasn't Koelzer more of a power forward? I seem to remember he was like 6'8" or so, wasn't he? He played while I was there with like Nick Fullerton....

2024 Resume dominance

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:13 pm

Bobcat Del wrote:

Wasn't Koelzer more of a power forward? I seem to remember he was like 6'8" or so, wasn't he? He played power forward while I was there with like Bill Brickhouse and Willie Weeks

2024 Resume dominance