One assistant coach opening each for men's and women's hoops

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

One assistant coach opening each for men's and women's hoops

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:32 am

https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/1004027700674060288 https://twitter.com/HoopDirt/status/1004007073175261184 I'll have more on Harris' next move as well as the men's hoops opening later this week.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Re: One assistant coach opening each for men's and women's h

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:13 pm

https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/1004123925888897024

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:47 pm

This is more and more sounding like he was let go not moving on. When you look at our recruits all but one are Haslam's recruits with Quinlan being a Fennelly recruit.

WYCAT
Member # Retired

Post by WYCAT » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:11 pm

I know a former player from this area who is interviewing for the men's position. He would be an excellent addition - connected recruiter, great athlete in his own right and awesome role model. I hope he gets it.

You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves." - Abraham Lincoln

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:06 pm

WYCAT wrote:I know a former player from this area who is interviewing for the men's position. He would be an excellent addition - connected recruiter, great athlete in his own right and awesome role model. I hope he gets it.
this wouldn’t happen to be a guy who is currently hanging out and in New Mexico

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:57 am

Not great news about Nate Harris. Coach Binford upgraded her assistants with each opportunity lately, and I think that helped push the whole team over the proverbial hump.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:15 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:Not great news about Nate Harris. Coach Binford upgraded her assistants with each opportunity lately, and I think that helped push the whole team over the proverbial hump.
I would agree he was a great recruiter and also was a big part of the defense scheme.

DawsonPirate
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by DawsonPirate » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:41 am

Heard last night through sources Tyler Hurley - former Anaconda - UMW star under Steve Keller. Heard he just moved Hobbs, NM and new assistant at New Mexico JC. That school and town is like landing on Mars.

Another name heard throw-in - but doubt he applies; another Keller former star player is Tyler Miller. Hurley temmate, who is entering his fifth season per Central Arkansas - Southland Conference site. Also saw they just completed Top 100 2018 recruiting class with NO JUCO players.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:25 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:Not great news about Nate Harris. Coach Binford upgraded her assistants with each opportunity lately, and I think that helped push the whole team over the proverbial hump.
These things happen and it’s a positive for the program. Binford knows her strengths and weaknesses and will be looking for an assistant to help her with the X and O’s.

Congrats to Harris! Well deserved! If you have an assistant that’s not getting recruited to larger schools or for Head Coaching positions, they’re the wrong assistant. Harris will be a head coach in the very near future. He’s got the chops to be a very good one.

Another positive news story for MSU!
Last edited by Catlady on Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:28 am

If I was Fish I would go out and look for a X's and O's guy, some one maybe with a few grey hairs. Some one who Fish might be able to bounce some ideas off of as we get closer to the season and also during game situations. This person might be hard to find but I think it could be invaluable for Fish. The problem with this idea is that depending on your make-up admitting this need could be a little bit of an ego hit.

I am real curious as to where Nate Harris will end up. You know he has experience on men's basketball staff. I wonder if any AD out there would give him serious consideration for a men's head coaching spot if he applied. I know I would give him serious consideration for a men's or women's spot.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:43 am

Might as well get Sprinkle comfortable for a year before his first head coaching job. :coffee:

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

WYCAT
Member # Retired

Post by WYCAT » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:07 pm

mslacat wrote:
WYCAT wrote:I know a former player from this area who is interviewing for the men's position. He would be an excellent addition - connected recruiter, great athlete in his own right and awesome role model. I hope he gets it.
this wouldn’t happen to be a guy who is currently hanging out and in New Mexico

Negative.

You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves." - Abraham Lincoln

WYCAT
Member # Retired

Post by WYCAT » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:55 pm

Hey mslacat, I tried to PM you but it wouldn't go through.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:00 pm

WYCAT wrote:Hey mslacat, I tried to PM you but it wouldn't go through.
You sent me a direct email which I guess is different than a PM. I replied to your email so check your email. If you received an email from Robert Robinson that is I.

....and now back to your normally schedule Bobcats Basketball Thread.

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:19 am

Last time there was an opening, the DBO was promoted. Would make sense this time with Dominguez being an experienced assistant coach.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:18 am

phantom wrote:Last time there was an opening, the DBO was promoted. Would make sense this time with Dominguez being an experienced assistant coach.
Dominquez has plenty experience as an assistant coach in D1 basketball so many are thinking that might be the case I really don’t have a good feeling as to whether that will happen or not what do your little birdies tell you

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:55 am

mslacat wrote:
phantom wrote:Last time there was an opening, the DBO was promoted. Would make sense this time with Dominguez being an experienced assistant coach.
Dominquez has plenty experience as an assistant coach in D1 basketball so many are thinking that might be the case I really don’t have a good feeling as to whether that will happen or not what do your little birdies tell you

I have no inside knowledge on this, just opened the thread this morning and saw there was an opening. Last year, Luke was promoted and Silvey was brought in as the DBO. Silvey is popular with the players and has a lot of experience as an assistant coach. It just seems to me like that is the logical move and bring in a younger person as the new DBO.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:08 am

phantom wrote:
mslacat wrote:

I have no inside knowledge on this, just opened the thread this morning and saw there was an opening. Last year, Luke was promoted and Silvey was brought in as the DBO. Silvey is popular with the players and has a lot of experience as an assistant coach. It just seems to me like that is the logical move and bring in a younger person as the new DBO.
I would agree, I have heard that Dominguez was a private basketball coach after leaving Washington State and before being hired by the Bobcats and one of his clients was Incoming Bobcat recruit Jarad Martin. That most likely did not hurt our recruiting with Martin. I also believe, by state law, that if Fish chose to hire from with in his program he could without having to advertise the position. Still it is always nice to know who might be out there looking for work. That might make it tough for younger JC/D2/NAIA coach looking to move up to the position with Dominguez already on campus. One thing we don't know though is if there is any specific needs that Fish is looking for in his new coach, and that is very Fish like.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:53 am

Perhaps Fish can find an assistant that can bring a big guy with him.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:24 pm

Rich K wrote:Perhaps Fish can find an assistant that can bring a big guy with him.
That is Hassan. In his first and only year as an assistant with Huse He landed two big man from Britain. This was one of the reasons I’m told fish decided to keep them on the staff. Unfortunately the first one ended up bombing out at the D1 level and then bombing out at the D2 level. The second one could make the grade and when he finally did become eligible signed on with the Pac-12 School instead. Since then we haven’t been able to find a big man that’s been able to contribute in the last four years although The jury is still out for current bobcat Delvin Kirby