Tyler hall

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Tyler hall

Post by allcat » Wed May 30, 2018 5:41 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/1001940104699633666
i'm thrilled the kid is coming back. I just don't have faith that Fish can manage the team well.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed May 30, 2018 8:10 pm

Well I'm excited. I want to see Larry Chaney's all time MSU scoring record fall. Not sure how far Hall has to go to get it. I'm sure it will get published. What other records will Hall get next season if he stay's healthy?

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu May 31, 2018 11:51 am

Last night as the clock ticked towards the 10:00 MST hour and the deadline for players to withdrawing their names for the NBA draft various basketball reporters started to tweet about the players who had not announced either way (NBA or return to college). Montana State's Devonte Klines was amoung those players. As the clock got closer and closer to 10:00 MST the list got shorter and shorter. Finally at 10:01 the only one name on the list and it was...... Devonte Klines. The final tweet I saw was "who is Devonte Klines"

Now that does not mean lines did or did not with draw his name it just means he did not announce it.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu May 31, 2018 2:17 pm

https://twitter.com/pschweds/status/1002280924766130176

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu May 31, 2018 2:55 pm

https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/1002291826554912768

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu May 31, 2018 4:24 pm

Hawks86 wrote:https://twitter.com/pschweds/status/1002280924766130176
Wow!!! Good luck in your endeavor Devonte.
Now, does this mean we now have two schoolies available?

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu May 31, 2018 4:27 pm

Hall withdraws from NBA Draft, returns to Montana State
https://skylinesportsmt.com/hall-withdr ... ana-state/
Last edited by Colter_Nuanez on Thu May 31, 2018 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Thu May 31, 2018 4:48 pm

It's been awhile since I've posted, but I'm too curious to not ask the question -- what is up with Klines? He seems like he was a mediocre BSC player, yet he's hiring an agent, yada, yada, yada.

Does he have some serious talent that wasn't shown last season, or is he essentially just dropping out of school in a way that sounds way cooler on twitter? Is his agent legit or just a buddy who now gets to tell people at parties that's he's a pro sports agent?

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu May 31, 2018 4:51 pm

SonomaCat wrote:It's been awhile since I've posted, but I'm too curious to not ask the question -- what is up with Klines? He seems like he was a mediocre BSC player, yet he's hiring an agent, yada, yada, yada.

Does he have some serious talent that wasn't shown last season, or is he essentially just dropping out of school in a way that sounds way cooler on twitter? Is his agent legit or just a buddy who now gets to tell people at parties that's he's a pro sports agent?
Where did you see he hired an agent? It is my understanding that he is the only player who declared for the draft who did not hire an agent that did not remove his name from the process. Every other player who tested the waters like Tyler Hall or Ahmaad Rorie did withdrew before the deadline.

There's a lot to the Devonte Klines story but an elevated sense of his own ability is definitely part of it. Either way, Fish is willing to help him.

“Devonte is going to pursue his professional dreams no matter where that may be,” Fish said. “I think it’s good. I think he has a chance to go and make some money overseas if he works and hopefully he does it. We are going to help him anyway we can because my job as a coach and teach is to try to help these guys chase their career so hopefully we can help him get something overseas.”

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Thu May 31, 2018 5:16 pm

Kudos to Coach Fish!!! I wish Devonte much success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Thu May 31, 2018 6:05 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:Where did you see he hired an agent?
I probably got that part wrong during my half-assed skimming of tweets. I thought I read that someplace but I may well have missed a "not" in a sentence along the way.

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:55 pm

Random question, with Hall coming back for his senior year, will this help Fish keep his job?

I'm excited and relieved to know Hall is coming back for his senior year....not that often the Cats get a player like Hall.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:48 pm

It is not often you get to watch player of this caliber live. I'm retiring this year, thus I personally intend to try to make more games this year (not hard to do, all I gotta do is get to 2).

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:50 pm

FTG247365 wrote:Random question, with Hall coming back for his senior year, will this help Fish keep his job?

I'm excited and relieved to know Hall is coming back for his senior year....not that often the Cats get a player like Hall.
IMO: NO. If Fish has another year like last year and maybe even if he has a slightly better year I think he is gone. The new Athletics plan has been released and the money raising phase is in full swing. The best way to get donations is to win, primarily in the main revenue sports like Men's BB. After losing both his 2017 recruits early in the season and the concerns about his coaching style and now this years recruiting failures I don't think he comes back without a top 4 finish and 2 wins in the tournament.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:09 pm

allcat wrote:It is not often you get to watch player of this caliber live. I'm retiring this year, thus I personally intend to try to make more games this year (not hard to do, all I gotta do is get to 2).
I also plan to watch Tyler as often as I can. It is a treat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:29 pm

FTG247365 wrote:Random question, with Hall coming back for his senior year, will this help Fish keep his job?

Fish is in the last year of his latest contract and things took a major step backwards last season when the opposite was expected to happen. Fish needs to accumulate wins this season, and prove he can win. No matter how you look at it the Bobcats will be a much better team with Hall in uniform. As a matter of fact, Big Sky teams with talent like Hall's have historically done very well in the conference. So with out a doubt Hall coming back will help Fish keep his job, BUT the biggest factor is Fish himself. If he wants a 3rd contract he is going to have to get it done and earn it himself!

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:11 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:Well I'm excited. I want to see Larry Chaney's all time MSU scoring record fall. Not sure how far Hall has to go to get it. I'm sure it will get published. What other records will Hall get next season if he stay's healthy?
The Big Sky 3 point and scoring records may also be in danger.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:17 pm

Hall’s return sets the table for a banner year filled with records. Hall has 1,861 points in his career, the third-most in the history of Montana State and the 10th-most in the history of the league. If he stays healthy, he will likely become the sixth player in Big Sky history to score 2,000 points in his career before the non-conference even exists. Hall needs 174 points to pass Larry Chanay as Montana State’s all-time leading scorer. He needs 309 points to surpass Bogdan Bliznyuk as the Big Sky’s all-time leading scorer, a mark that last season’s MVP earned just a year ago.

https://skylinesportsmt.com/hall-withdr ... ana-state/

grizband
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by grizband » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:15 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:Well I'm excited. I want to see Larry Chaney's all time MSU scoring record fall. Not sure how far Hall has to go to get it. I'm sure it will get published. What other records will Hall get next season if he stay's healthy?
Sitting at 1,861 points through 3 years, I would be surprised if Hall doesn't break the conference scoring record next year (2,102). His total of 544 points last year was his lowest output in three years playing for the Cats. What makes the current records standout, though, is that Gordon Lightfoot set the record in 3 seasons, and didn't have the advantage of the 3 point shot. For example, if all of Hall's 3 point shots were converted to 2 points, he would only have 1,546 points thus far.

Hall also only needs 31 3-pointers to break the all-time Big Sky record in that category. This should easily be accomplished, as he averages 3.4 3-pointers/game for his career.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:51 pm

grizband wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
Sitting at 1,861 points through 3 years, I would be surprised if Hall doesn't break the conference scoring record next year (2,102). His total of 544 points last year was his lowest output in three years playing for the Cats. What makes the current records standout, though, is that Gordon Lightfoot set the record in 3 seasons, and didn't have the advantage of the 3 point shot. For example, if all of Hall's 3 point shots were converted to 2 points, he would only have 1,546 points thus far.

Hall also only needs 31 3-pointers to break the all-time Big Sky record in that category. This should easily be accomplished, as he averages 3.4 3-pointers/game for his career.
The Big Sky scoring record is now 2,164 points set by Eastern Washington's Bogdan Bliznyuk last season. Hall needs 309 points to break that record, or about 10 points per game if he plays all the games in his senior year.

Gordon Lightfoot is a folk singer. Orlando Lightfoot of Idaho was the former all-time record holder. He set the record in three seasons, from 1991 until 1994, when the Big Sky had the 3-point line. All NCAA conferences adopted the 3-point line in 1986-97 season. From 1981 until 1985, the Big Sky had the longest 3-point line in the country at 22 feet, about 15 inches farther than it currently sits.