Why can’t we be happy with the trajectory of MSU WBB ?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Why can’t we be happy with the trajectory of MSU WBB ?

Post by Catlady » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:15 am

Binford is building a quality program and is now attracting major talent to her program. Bozeman is growing into a destination for WBB! Can we quit having wanderlust for other coaches and programs and embrace what’s happening at MSU?

We got players on the squad playing at a high level and transfers joining the program that chose MSU over a ton of suitors. The future looks bright. Why can’t we enjoy the ride and embrace Coach Binford and her staff? This is the best time in the history of this program and one thread wants to credit John Stockton, this week the threads are on how to emulate UCONN and Mississippi State. Is it hard to praise our coaches?

It’s ok to want your program to be the best it could possibly be, but Coach Binford has built a winning program with 1/7 the annual budget that those programs enjoy. Maybe Coach B should put up a thread asking our supporters to emulate UCONN and donate millions more in funds? Triple her recruiting budget. The key is we’re enjoying great success and the program is trending in the right direction. Why can’t we embrace our program and continue to build a winning program with our administration, players and coaches?

I consider the threads to emulate other programs to be disrespectful to the administration, alumni, coaches, players, students and the Bozeman community who give a tremendous amount to build and maintain a successful program. I get that we’re a fan forum and negativity is commonplace, but we rip apart the Men’s program for not winning enough ( me too!) and then we rip the women’s program for not winning big enough! Play your players 40 minutes a game like UCONN.. players don’t need to rest! Really?
Sorry for the rant, but the negativity to the woman’s program just isn’t right!

Btw..... Geno lost tonight because his team was tired in Overtime...... because of the high number of minutes they’re 0-4 in OT during the tournament.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Why can’t we be happy with the trajectory of MSU WBB ?

Post by imacat » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:19 am

Catlady wrote:Binford is building a quality program and is now attracting major talent to her program. Bozeman is growing into a destination for WBB! Can we quit having wanderlust for other coaches and programs and embrace what’s happening at MSU?

We got players on the squad playing at a high level and transfers joining the program that chose MSU over a ton of suitors. The future looks bright. Why can’t we enjoy the ride and embrace Coach Binford and her staff? This is the best time in the history of this program and one thread wants to credit John Stockton, this week the threads are on how to emulate UCONN and Mississippi State. Is it hard to praise our coaches?

It’s ok to want your program to be the best it could possibly be, but Coach Binford has built a winning program with 1/7 the annual budget that those programs enjoy. Maybe Coach B should put up a thread asking our supporters to emulate UCONN and donate millions more in funds? Triple her recruiting budget. The key is we’re enjoying great success and the program is trending in the right direction. Why can’t we embrace our program and continue to build a winning program with our administration, players and coaches?

I consider the threads to emulate other programs to be disrespectful to the administration, alumni, coaches, players, students and the Bozeman community who give a tremendous amount to build and maintain a successful program. I get that we’re a fan forum and negativity is commonplace, but we rip apart the Men’s program for not winning enough ( me too!) and then we rip the women’s program for not winning big enough! Play your players 40 minutes a game like UCONN.. players don’t need to rest! Really?
Sorry for the rant, but the negativity to the woman’s program just isn’t right!

Btw..... Geno lost tonight because his team was tired in Overtime...... because of the high number of minutes they’re 0-4 in OT during the tournament.
Ditto! Great post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:16 am

Good post but don't attribute one persons views toward everybody.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:20 pm

Hawks86 wrote:Good post but don't attribute one persons views toward everybody.
Agree, you’re right. Getting tired of the negative posts. I think we’re about to really go to another level.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:02 pm

I am very happy with the Bobcat Women Basketball program!

nuff said!

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:24 pm

Agreed. I, for one, feel very fortunate to be a fan of the program MSU has. Quality, true student-athletes who play an exciting and entertaining style. And win and compete in a lot of games. And always give me something to look forward to next year, even as the stars of the current year graduate. Go, Cats!

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:51 pm

Kudos. I enjoy watching the ladies play. Since taking over the head coaching job, Coach Binford has only had losing seasons the first two years.

Her teams have finished six times in the top 3 in the Big Sky. They have won the conference regular season outright twice. They have played in the Big Sky tourney championship game 3 times winning it all last year. She has recruited and coached a Kodak All American - 1 year, Big Sky Defensive Player of the Year - 2 years, Big Sky Conference Player of the Year - 2 Years, Big Sky Newcomer or Freshman of the Year - 3 Years.

Join the Fastbreak Club and sit down across the table with some of the Lady Bobcats. Wow... just some great young ladies that I am proud to have representing Montana State University. To a person when I have asked them about recruiting, they say we are underselling the positive atmosphere at Montana State and the program Coach is building....several have said that once they got here they wondered why they ever looked any place else. These kids are the ambassadors for the future.

I am anxious to see how our sophomores and freshmen continue to grow next year and to see how the addition of the two Seton Hall girls add to the team. Hopefully we can add the North Dakota lady this year but if not, will be fun watching her the following year with the Billings lady coming is as a freshmen and the new Oregon guard moving into her sophomore year and some of our freshman class developing into the leadership roles I expect.

I will be there to watch. Thanks Coach Binford.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:06 pm

This is the most successful Bobcat team the last several years. I'm over the moon happy with their success and feel like they are going to continue on a long run.

aucat

Post by aucat » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:29 pm

As a season ticket holder, I didn't mean to give the impression of being negative, but rather just
discussing coaching strategy.

Coach Binford's success during the 2015-16 and 2016-17 seasons proved that she is an outstanding coach
for the Cats. Goodness knows, I'm not calling for a new coach.

However, as big of a Cat fan as I am, I'm not a homer. I thought the Lady Cats underachieved
this year, and had some really awful games against opponents we should have at least competed with.

The terrible loss at UM was certainly one example.

I think we have some really good players and I was simply making the point that while Coach Binford's overall success
speaks for itself, as a fan simply discussing coaching strategy on a Cat Blog, I just don't agree with her strategy of
subbing her players in and out and in and out.

That's just my opinion, but I do notice that some of these great teams in the final four do not constantly
sub players in and out of the game, but rather leave them in for lengthy periods and it seems, at least to
this observer, that the players have a better chemistry and team flow.

I will say this about women's basketball--the entertainment value of the women's games in the Final Four so far has
exceeded that of the men by a factor of about 100 to 1.

And I do agree that the overall trajectory of the MSU women's basketball program is up.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:47 pm

aucat wrote:As a season ticket holder, I didn't mean to give the impression of being negative, but rather just
discussing coaching strategy.

Coach Binford's success during the 2015-16 and 2016-17 seasons proved that she is an outstanding coach
for the Cats. Goodness knows, I'm not calling for a new coach.

However, as big of a Cat fan as I am, I'm not a homer. I thought the Lady Cats underachieved
this year, and had some really awful games against opponents we should have at least competed with.

The terrible loss at UM was certainly one example.

I think we have some really good players and I was simply making the point that while Coach Binford's overall success
speaks for itself, as a fan simply discussing coaching strategy on a Cat Blog, I just don't agree with her strategy of
subbing her players in and out and in and out.

That's just my opinion, but I do notice that some of these great teams in the final four do not constantly
sub players in and out of the game, but rather leave them in for lengthy periods and it seems, at least to
this observer, that the players have a better chemistry and team flow.

I will say this about women's basketball--the entertainment value of the women's games in the Final Four so far has
exceeded that of the men by a factor of about 100 to 1.

And I do agree that the overall trajectory of the MSU women's basketball program is up.
My apologies if I misunderstood your comments. I agree this wasn’t a great year, but I’m confident very confident that the program is well positioned for the future. Glad to hear you’re a supporter.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:49 pm

Like I said earlier I think Binford has done a great job and I am a lot happier with the trajectory of the bobcats right now than that of our cross state rivals. We are going to be really good the next couple years

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:40 am

mslacat wrote:Like I said earlier I think Binford has done a great job and I am a lot happier with the trajectory of the bobcats right now than that of our cross state rivals. We are going to be really good the next couple years

Yep, it will be fun to see the two Seton Hall transfers on the court next year. With next year's team having only one senior and another talented transfer in Freije waiting in the wings for the 2019-20 season it should be a very successful next couple of years for them!

aucat

Post by aucat » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:33 am

And don't forget Kola Bad Bear coming in