Heck, why not emulate Schaefer??

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Heck, why not emulate Schaefer??

Post by aucat » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:36 pm

I don't need to just focus on Geno at Uconn. How about Vic Schaefer at Miss. St?

Did you notice that his star center played THE ENTIRE 40 MINUTES PLUS OVERTIME???????

The same was pretty much true for the great AA Vivians.

Again, as a Cat fan, I just don't understand seeing very good players taken out two minutes into the game,
only to go back in three minutes later, only to go back out three minutes later.

I don't see how this maintains chemistry or team flow. I hope Coach Binford is watching these games.

Maybe she will realize that, gosh, maybe it IS INDEED POSSIBLE for a young lady to play most of the
game and not have to sit half the game on the bench. ESPECIALLY IF SHE IS ONE OF YOUR BEST PLAYERS

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Heck, why not emulate Schaefer??

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:37 am

aucat wrote:I don't need to just focus on Geno at Uconn. How about Vic Schaefer at Miss. St?

Did you notice that his star center played THE ENTIRE 40 MINUTES PLUS OVERTIME???????

Again, as a Cat fan, I just don't understand seeing very good players taken out two minutes into the game,
only to go back in three minutes later, only to go back out three minutes later.

I don't see how this maintains chemistry or team flow. I hope Coach Binford is watching these games.

Maybe she will realize that, gosh, maybe it IS INDEED POSSIBLE for a young lady to play most of the
game and not have to sit half the game on the bench. ESPECIALLY IF SHE IS ONE OF YOUR BEST PLAYERS
For the season the Mississippi State starting 5 average playing time was 29.6 MPG (Bobcats average 27.6 mpg), Players 6,7,8 average 14.6 MPG (Bobcats average 17 mpg), All the rest average 6.4 MPG (Bobcats average 4.8 MPG). The most any of the starters averaged during the season was Schaefor who averaged 32 mpg. So your assumptions are not correct, Mississippi State plays the bench too. Now for the game against Louisville the McGowan girl played 45 minutes and the Williams girl played 38 minutes (I think I got the right two girls numbers). In critical games, your horses sometimes have to step up.

And obviously with the intensity you watch the time on the court, I am sure you certainly have it nailed to the second and have full knowledge that on the last tourney game for the Bobcats against Idaho that Seniors Caudill and Junkermeir both played 35 minutes and that was without OT minutes so they were pretty much on the court the full time... at least as much as the Williams girl for your Mississippi State team.

You are hoping Binford is watching the games. Wonderful..... I hope she is enjoying them too. But I will let her dictate playing time. Thank you.

And I quite enjoyed seeing Martel getting time off the bench, you could see her confidence and shot growing throughout the season and several games towards end of the season she was in double figures sparking a couple key wins.... so would you have kept her hind end on the bench the whole year? And you could see Van Sickle grow, would you have kept her on the bench all season even though you wanted to be developing her to come behind Caudill next year or just let her experience the pressure and speed of the game next year fresh off the plastic? And Pranger got stronger throughout the year, should she be sitting all the time or perhaps are you expecting her to instantly hit the court next year with all of that game time experience and toughness absorbed through the backside osmosis from the plastic chairs/bench or playing 2 minutes of mush ball at the end of the game. Annika Lai last year was always an energy boost when she came in and I suppose you will tell me that Peyton Ferris should have had much more enjoyable bench time her sophomore and junior year as if she wasn't a power bar added to the game when she came in? It is building a stronger team for the future. Playing off the bench builds chemistry too and you are only an injury away from needing that bench more than you realize. Some of the best coaches I know aren't afraid of building an 8 to 10 deep bench and rotate seamlessly. And a lot depends on the type of kids and type of team you are building. And yep there are times you expect your senior stars and leaders to step up more.

But guess we can both do our arm chair coaching as we see it.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Re: Heck, why not emulate Schaefer??

Post by Cataholic » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:21 am

BobcatDel wrote:
aucat wrote:I don't need to just focus on Geno at Uconn. How about Vic Schaefer at Miss. St?

For the season the Mississippi State starting 5 average playing time was 29.6 MPG (Bobcats average 27.6 mpg), Players 6,7,8 average 14.6 MPG (Bobcats average 17 mpg), All the rest average 6.4 MPG (Bobcats average 4.8 MPG). The most any of the starters averaged during the season was Schaefor who averaged 32 mpg. So your assumptions are not correct, Mississippi State plays the bench too. Now for the game against Louisville the McGowan girl played 45 minutes and the Williams girl played 38 minutes (I think I got the right two girls numbers). In critical games, your horses sometimes have to step up.

And obviously with the intensity you watch the time on the court, I am sure you certainly have it nailed to the second and have full knowledge that on the last tourney game for the Bobcats against Idaho that Seniors Caudill and Junkermeir both played 35 minutes and that was without OT minutes so they were pretty much on the court the full time... at least as much as the Williams girl for your Mississippi State team.

You are hoping Binford is watching the games. Wonderful..... I hope she is enjoying them too. But I will let her dictate playing time. Thank you.

And I quite enjoyed seeing Martel getting time off the bench, you could see her confidence and shot growing throughout the season and several games towards end of the season she was in double figures sparking a couple key wins.... so would you have kept her hind end on the bench the whole year? And you could see Van Sickle grow, would you have kept her on the bench all season even though you wanted to be developing her to come behind Caudill next year or just let her experience the pressure and speed of the game next year fresh off the plastic? And Pranger got stronger throughout the year, should she be sitting all the time or perhaps are you expecting her to instantly hit the court next year with all of that game time experience and toughness absorbed through the backside osmosis from the plastic chairs/bench or playing 2 minutes of mush ball at the end of the game. Annika Lai last year was always an energy boost when she came in and I suppose you will tell me that Peyton Ferris should have had much more enjoyable bench time her sophomore and junior year as if she wasn't a power bar added to the game when she came in? It is building a stronger team for the future. Playing off the bench builds chemistry too and you are only an injury away from needing that bench more than you realize. Some of the best coaches I know aren't afraid of building an 8 to 10 deep bench and rotate seamlessly. And a lot depends on the type of kids and type of team you are building. And yep there are times you expect your senior stars and leaders to step up more.

But guess we can both do our arm chair coaching as we see it.
I am not going to say that Binford should be playing her best players longer, but Del’s comparison on playing time with Mississippi State is missing a major factor. Miss State won almost half of their games by 30+ points. Some by 50 and 60+ points. This guarantees the bench will play and brings down the average minutes for their starters. It is not as close as you portray above.