NCAA Transfer Rule Proposal

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

NCAA Transfer Rule Proposal

Post by mslacat » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:20 am

As Colter at Skyline Sports has mentioned a few times there is a proposal in front of the NCAA that will allow D-1 players the opportunity for a one time only transfer to any other D-1 school with no penalty (sitting out a year). From what I am hearing if it passes it will be on a very close vote. In general head coaches are against it. In my opinion, because it takes power away from them, and gives a little more power to the players. In general, I have to support this rule change for that same reason. Right now athletes who sign with a school are only guaranteed a scholarship for a single year. After that first year and for every year thereafter it is up to the coach as to whether the coach will renew the scholarship for next year. A coach can cut a player at the end of the year for whatever reason they wish with no penalty to the coach or school and yet if the player who loses their scholarship, wants to try to get on with another D-1 school they are punished by having to sit out a year. Furthermore, even though a player is cut by a school that school also can prohibit what schools the athlete can transfer to. Unless the NCAA requires schools to give out 4-year scholarships to players who sign with a school, I believe that player should be able to transfer at will.

Now the downside to this new rule will be that conference like the Big Sky are going to become minor leagues to the bigger conferences. I can see it now, every player who starts or plays significant minutes the freshman or sophomore year will seriously look at transferring at the end of the season. And there will be enough mid to upper division D-1 schools who will jump at grabbing a young Big Sky star to fill out their bench. There will be some drop downs, that will help Big Sky schools but overall I think this rule will hurt conference like the Big Sky.

It is hard to tell right now whether this rule change will pass, I am betting the coaches will get their way and it will be defeated but will continue to pop up every couple year until passed, but I would not bet a significant amount of money either way.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: NCAA Transfer Rule Proposal

Post by allcat » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:27 am

mslacat wrote:As Colter at Skyline Sports has mentioned a few times there is a proposal in front of the NCAA that will allow D-1 players the opportunity for a one time only transfer to any other D-1 school with no penalty (sitting out a year). From what I am hearing if it passes it will be on a very close vote. In general head coaches are against it. In my opinion, because it takes power away from them, and gives a little more power to the players. In general, I have to support this rule change for that same reason. Right now athletes who sign with a school are only guaranteed a scholarship for a single year. After that first year and for every year thereafter it is up to the coach as to whether the coach will renew the scholarship for next year. A coach can cut a player at the end of the year for whatever reason they wish with no penalty to the coach or school and yet if the player who loses their scholarship, wants to try to get on with another D-1 school they are punished by having to sit out a year. Furthermore, even though a player is cut by a school that school also can prohibit what schools the athlete can transfer to. Unless the NCAA requires schools to give out 4-year scholarships to players who sign with a school, I believe that player should be able to transfer at will.

Now the downside to this new rule will be that conference like the Big Sky are going to become minor leagues to the bigger conferences. I can see it now, every player who starts or plays significant minutes the freshman or sophomore year will seriously look at transferring at the end of the season. And there will be enough mid to upper division D-1 schools who will jump at grabbing a young Big Sky star to fill out their bench. There will be some drop downs, that will help Big Sky schools but overall I think this rule will hurt conference like the Big Sky.

It is hard to tell right now whether this rule change will pass, I am betting the coaches will get their way and it will be defeated but will continue to pop up every couple year until passed, but I would not bet a significant amount of money either way.
I would be against it, for precisely your downside, plyers will be getting poached if they are any good. The ones doing the poaching will then kick some kid to the curb. I would be for it if they poaching school had to offer a 4 year schollie.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:43 am

If a player got cut, or lost her/his scholly, I'd be fine with a non-penalized transfer. But not in any other case. This would give the players more power, but avoid the minor league problem you guys mentioned.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:33 pm

91catAlum wrote:If a player got cut, or lost her/his scholly, I'd be fine with a non-penalized transfer. But not in any other case. This would give the players more power, but avoid the minor league problem you guys mentioned.
That is a great reason that I did not think of.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:04 pm

I could imagine players moving together, like in Miami with Wade, James and Bosh. It would certainly set it up that you have only a handful of teams benefiting.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:36 pm

The Butcher wrote:I could imagine players moving together, like in Miami with Wade, James and Bosh. It would certainly set it up that you have only a handful of teams benefiting.
Players aren’t indentured servants, but obviously there needs to be regulation of the process.

My proposal is that they get one move without penalty which means that during a predetermined period ( April 15- Oct 1) the player can transfer without having to sit out a year. They cannot transfer during the basketball season and must remain academically eligible.

During their college career, they are eligible to transfer one additional time, but will be required to sit out a season. The player will still be required to finish their athletic career over a 5 year period.

I wish you could add something for if the coach leaves or is fired.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:50 pm

Catlady wrote:
The Butcher wrote:I could imagine players moving together, like in Miami with Wade, James and Bosh. It would certainly set it up that you have only a handful of teams benefiting.
Players aren’t indentured servants, but obviously there needs to be regulation of the process.

My proposal is that they get one move without penalty which means that during a predetermined period ( April 15- Oct 1) the player can transfer without having to sit out a year. They cannot transfer during the basketball season and must remain academically eligible.

During their college career, they are eligible to transfer one additional time, but will be required to sit out a season. The player will still be required to finish their athletic career over a 5 year period.

I completely agree that players are not indentured servants... But I see how this could be detrimental to smaller programs like MSU. It doesn’t take much imagination to see the affects on how it will damage programs. You could really view this as a move to make small schools in all divisions more like a junior college system than a 4-5 year system.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:22 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Catlady wrote:

I completely agree that players are not indentured servants... But I see how this could be detrimental to smaller programs like MSU. It doesn’t take much imagination to see the affects on how it will damage programs. You could really view this as a move to make small schools in all divisions more like a junior college system than a 4-5 year system.
I think I agree that you might be right. But another possibility is that the talent in a conference like the Big Sky will go up because players who aren't playing much can drop down without punishment. The end result might be that it really won't change much. Except we'll never know any of the players by their first name--but then again, that won't change much! :shock:

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:42 pm

LTown Cat wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
Catlady wrote:

I think I agree that you might be right. But another possibility is that the talent in a conference like the Big Sky will go up because players who aren't playing much can drop down without punishment. The end result might be that it really won't change much. Except we'll never know any of the players by their first name--but then again, that won't change much! :shock:
That would be a reason for putting names on the back of the jerseys :-^ :-^

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.