Why not emulate Geno?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Why not emulate Geno?

Post by aucat » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:19 am

Watching the Uconn Lady Huskies is poetry in motion. The team is absolutely a finely tuned machine
that runs efficiently. I wonder if Coach Binford studies this incredible coach's strategies?

It appears to me that the Uconn players have an unbelievable awareness of each other on the court.
They seem to know exactly where their teammates are located and are able to anticipate their moves.

I think this is because of two things: 1. There is great chemistry and 2. Geno does not substitute a whole bunch.

No, I didn't keep track of it, but I did notice that their star players did not go in and out of the game.

For example, the tall shooting player, #33 Katie, played just about the entire game and rarely exited, even
with huge leads. Also, the little guard Dangerfield (I believe she was #5) was absolutely on fire against
South Carolina, and you didn't see Geno take her out. He rode that magnificent horse throughout the game.

I have always had a huge problem with Coach Binford constantly taking players in and out, in and out, even when
a player hits two straight shots to open the game, two minutes into the first quarter, out she goes.

Here are four reasons this fan thinks Geno is a great coach: 1. Obviously, he is a great recruiter. 2. He really develops
the players once he recruits them. 3. His coaching techniques and strategies are outstanding, and 4. His teams never let
up. Even with huge leads, they play their hearts out on both ends of the court.

It's fun to coach from the sofa as I am now doing. And all I know is, if I were a coach, I would really study and try to
emulate Geno's coaching style, because the guy can flat out get it done.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Why not emulate Geno?

Post by mslacat » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:46 pm

I do not want to sound mean or hostile to your point, but it is easy to play like Geno when you recruit and land 4-5 of the top 25 players in the country every year. Geno almost gets to hand pick each year what players he wants. The level athleticism, skill, and size he gets makes running his offence look effortless. Don't get me wrong, Geno got Connecticut to where it is by being a damn good coach. When you look though at the talent and skill level of the top 10th players vrs the 300 to 400th player (where we probably get our recruits from) the difference is much greater than in the men's game. Like wise the difference between a Duke (men's) Connecticut (women's) and a Big Sky team is much broader in the women's game. What may work for a team like Connecticut may not work for Weber or Montana State, because we simply don't have that level of talent. I don't want to blow off your idea off hand, because maybe you are right, I just wonder how much the size, talent and athleticism of Connecticut players and the coaching of Geno makes his system look so damn efficient and look effortless. Just a thought.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:21 pm

aucat wrote:Watching the Uconn Lady Huskies is poetry in motion. The team is absolutely a finely tuned machine
that runs efficiently. I wonder if Coach Binford studies this incredible coach's strategies?

It appears to me that the Uconn players have an unbelievable awareness of each other on the court.
They seem to know exactly where their teammates are located and are able to anticipate their moves.

I think this is because of two things: 1. There is great chemistry and 2. Geno does not substitute a whole bunch.

No, I didn't keep track of it, but I did notice that their star players did not go in and out of the game.

For example, the tall shooting player, #33 Katie, played just about the entire game and rarely exited, even
with huge leads. Also, the little guard Dangerfield (I believe she was #5) was absolutely on fire against
South Carolina, and you didn't see Geno take her out. He rode that magnificent horse throughout the game.

I have always had a huge problem with Coach Binford constantly taking players in and out, in and out, even when
a player hits two straight shots to open the game, two minutes into the first quarter, out she goes.

Here are four reasons this fan thinks Geno is a great coach: 1. Obviously, he is a great recruiter. 2. He really develops
the players once he recruits them. 3. His coaching techniques and strategies are outstanding, and 4. His teams never let

It's fun to coach from the sofa as I am now doing. And all I know is, if I were a coach, I would really study and try to
Or like when a certain team has a lineup out there that gets a 19 point lead and then the coach, for some reason, replaces that lineup and said 19 point lead gets blown. ](*,)

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:01 am

mslacat wrote:I do not want to sound mean or hostile to your point, but it is easy to play like Geno when you recruit and land 4-5 of the top 25 players in the country every year. Geno almost gets to hand pick each year what players he wants. The level athleticism, skill, and size he gets makes running his offence look effortless. Don't get me wrong, Geno got Connecticut to where it is by being a damn good coach. When you look though at the talent and skill level of the top 10th players vrs the 300 to 400th player (where we probably get our recruits from) the difference is much greater than in the men's game. Like wise the difference between a Duke (men's) Connecticut (women's) and a Big Sky team is much broader in the women's game. What may work for a team like Connecticut may not work for Weber or Montana State, because we simply don't have that level of talent. I don't want to blow off your idea off hand, because maybe you are right, I just wonder how much the size, talent and athleticism of Connecticut players and the coaching of Geno makes his system look so damn efficient and look effortless. Just a thought.
Geno is a good coach. Yes now he gets his pick of the players, but I doubt it was that way when he started. He was able to build the program , which then gradually allowed him to get the players he wanted. Look at Tennessee. They had the best players stacked into the roster for the new coach, they are gradually loosing their luster.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

aucat

Post by aucat » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:14 pm

I am not giving it to Geno yet. All number 1 seeds are very good and are capable of beating the other.

We'll see tonight

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:35 pm

aucat wrote:I am not giving it to Geno yet. All number 1 seeds are very good and are capable of beating the other.

We'll see tonight
I would actually give odds of them making the final four for the 12th straight year.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:36 pm

And yes I do realize that is next year.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:33 pm

aucat wrote:Watching the Uconn Lady Huskies is poetry in motion. The team is absolutely a finely tuned machine

Re substitution, I said it earlier on another thread and I will say it again, he does indeed substitute. UCONN starting 5 average 29.4 mpg (MSU average 27.6 mpg). UCONN Players 6, 7, 8 average 15.2 mpg (MSU average 17 mpg). UCONN all the rest 6.6 mpg (MSU 4.8 mpg). The game you were watching might have had them not substituting because of the tightness of the ball game but the season stats don't lie. He probably wishes he had developed the bench a little more if they were "flagging it" at the end.

The MSU girls have good chemistry also. Sit down and get to know them. You will see. Tell me they didn't have it last year in all those comeback games (the 10 point comeback in Missoula in the last minute, Delaney's 3 pointer to tie the game, Anika's performance in the tourney games, Peyton 33 against Washington). They didn't have the same horses this year that they had last year but they didn't lack chemistry.... Gino's bench is phenomenal compared to what we can recruit at our level and he can churn in a new group every year... I hope we can get there some year in the Big Sky.

So is the point you want to change coaches? Or Coaching style? Or just making comments and observations? Do you want us to fund BB to a whole new level? Lets just build our new $25MM basketball arena. Like others have said, increase the recruiting and imaging budget around the country by 10 to 20 fold so we can get the top 4 or 5 in the nation. Maybe move to the PAC 12 so we can compete against the "big ladies" programs. Oh lets plan on managing that $2.4 MM per year salary for Coach Binford when she starts getting those top 5 recruits and starts making runs into the Sweet 16/Final 4.

No doubt Geno is a great coach. Love the success he has and love the way he coaches. And get jealous of what he has achieved. I love the way Kim Mulkey coaches at Baylor after watching her for several years while living in the south. But they are at a whole other level in terms of resources and recruiting than we have. I continue to love the program the Bobcats are building and I want to continue to help Coach Binford be as successful as she can be with the resources and talent we have and we continue to grow.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:40 pm

aucat wrote:

In the South Carolina game, the top two scorers Williams and Dangerfield played 32 minutes and 30 minutes respectively which was above the season average but they did sit about a quarter each.

Yes the bigger lady had 38 minutes I think so she didn't sit much.