MBB UND

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

John K
Golden Bobcat

Re: MBB UND

Post by John K » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:36 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
cerk wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:Is it the player not playing with enough effort, or is it the coach not coaching well enough? Maybe a combination of both, but this is unacceptable.
https://twitter.com/kyle_sample6/status/971143995916038150
Not disagreeing with you MSU01, or the sentiment... but Kyle Sample is an asshat hack. I don't take anything he says with any relevance whatsoever. He's a griz homer, the only time he feels the need to pop in and comment on anything Bobcat related is when something like this happens. He should stick to playing kissy face with Hauck and his minions.

Hahahaha...... the dude is a suck ass, tool bag, griz lover. Damn glad he's back in Missoula with all the other doucher's.
Despite what you guys think of Kyle, he isn't wrong here. It was an issue all season.
I 100% agree with Vim on this.
Not disagreeing with you BozoneCat, but are you sure that it's Hauck's face that Sample is kissing?
Hee hee [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

As I said, I wasn’t necessarily disagreeing with Kyle’s post/sentiment in this instance, but it bothers me that he only feels the need to chime in when it’s something negative about MSU, never for anything positive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tyler Hall did not take a shot in the last 18 minutes of the game and only touched the ball twice in the final 5:05, the first touch leading to a contested 3-pointer after Geno Crandall tied the game at 74 with a 3-point play that missed and led to UND's eventual game-winning possession, the second a turnover after UND took the lead with seven seconds left. You can blame whoever you want - Fish, Hall, the refs, Kyle Sample - but if the preseason MVP doesn't shoot in the second half and doesn't touch the ball while the team is blowing a 19-point lead, that is unacceptable.
I understand what you're saying, and for the record, I'm not blaming the refs or Kyle for the utter disaster that Bobcat basketball has devolved into. [emoji38]

I agree that the few touches that Hall got (and that's not the first time it has happened this year) is unacceptable. Personally, I put the blame for that equally between Coach Fish and Tyler. I don't think Coach does a great job of drawing up plays to free up the one guy that can shoot us into a win. That said, I think Tyler tends to get lazy and may do an even worse job of fighting to get himself open. They should just lock him up and have him watch tape of Steph Curry for a month straight. That guy works like crazy to free himself up, it's beautiful to watch.

You almost have to TRY to lose a 19-point lead that late in the game, so blame has to go across all levels of the program. Coaching was terrible, lots of players missed easy shots and free throws, and Hall was nonexistent. There will be repercussions.
This is an excellent synopsis of the problems with the Cats this year. The offense just doesn't work. A lot of this has to do with Hall and his lack of working to get himself open and "hungry" for the ball. But this also falls directly on Fish for the mentality and tone he sets for his players and the offense he designs for the team. Hall essentially "walks" through his sets and then camps on the weak side if he isn't involved in the play. This type of movement and lack of involvement leads to him not getting the ball, much less getting good shots. This is a mentality and failure on Hall's part and one that should not have been acceptable to Fish early in the season. Why Fish found this behavior acceptable is a mystery? Perhaps he didn't want to ruffle Hall's feathers fearing he might lose him next year? Perhaps Hall just would not work to this degree? Perhaps Fish simply didn't recognize how to deal with changing the offense to get Tyler more touches? Whatever the reason, the end result was a stagnant offense that could not deliver performance and wins and one that did not capitalize on its two best players. And this failure and responsibility must fall directly on Fish. He sets the tone. He designs the strategy based on the team he has been dealt. And he is responsible for getting the best out of each individual player on the team. And in each of these goals, he failed this year.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
this is an excellent post.

I've been trying very hard not to get specific and bash players personally. that was hard to do this year. let's just say I was pretty disappointed all season with the effort and attitudes from several of our players; including our best players.

some of those who had backed fish always pointed out that he recruited back to back frosh of the year. and i'll concede that is cool. however, I don't care if you recruit tre young and marvin bagley if you don't know how to use them! did hall being a freshman of the year help us this year? did it help us that he was PRESEASON player of the year? what has the fact that he's the most talented player we've landed in years done for us this season?

this isn't meant to bash hall. but he sure didn't play like a player of the year. or even a freshman of the year. if it's a forgone conclusion that if we get rid of fish we lose hall too...let me be the first to say thank you tyler for your contributions as a bobcat, and best of luck to you in the future. at some point, especially your junior and possibly your senior seasons, you need to let your play speak for you and not preseason accolades.

I have many reasons I think fish needs to move on. his lack of ability in using a talent like hall is right up at the top of the list. can you imagine hall on the griz?! :sick:
Those are all great points, and it's obvious that our offense was often completely stagnant this season. We scored only 10 points in the last 12 minutes against UND yesterday, but very often the defense was equally as bad. We allowed 60 in the 2nd half against UM, and we gave up 31 to UND yesterday in barely more than half of a half. After we got our largest lead of 19 points, UND outscored us 31-10 the rest of the way. And that pathetic performance came against a bad team. UND was only 6-12 in conference, tied for 8th/9th place with MSU. And remember last year when we also blew a big lead in our 1st round game, against the last place team?

Domako
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Domako » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:21 am

To lose a 19 pt lead you have to be bad on both ends of the court. Play good defense the rest of the way and you win, play good offense and you win.
We played bad on both ends of the court for 11 minutes.

We are awful on the defensive end of the court. There are just a few things that you have to do in the college game today. Don't give up uncontested 3 pt
shots to even decent shooters. 33% from 3 pt range is equivalent to 50% from 2 pt range, so you have to guard the 3 pt line. The next thing is don't give
up layups and don't send your opponent to the free throw line. Those 3 things are key on the defensive end in college. We were horrible at all three.
I constantly see us giving up wide open 3's to even there great shooters. We also have no rim protectors so we constantly give up layups or foul players
on the drive.

On the offensive end, Tyler and Harry don't get enough shots. I'm not sure what the team is doing on offense, but it seems that we got better shots
the last 3 years then we did this year. When that happens, both start taking bad shots which just compounds the problem. I saw too many shots with
hands in our face or 3 feet behind the 3 pt line. Most college offenses need penetration into the middle of the key for dump off layups or kickouts
to 3 pt shooters stepping into their shots. We can do better the step back 3's and shots from 4 feet beyond the line. The only player that is good at
penetrating off the dribble is Klines and unfortunately he doesn't look to pass when he gets in the lane. We need Harry and Tyler to get better at
getting in the lane and creating their own "good" shot, because nobody is creating open looks for them.

I also don't see off ball screens very much or any post ups. Penetration can come from posting up a player so that you draw a double team and create
the kickout for an open jump shot. You can post any player that you think has a matchup advantage, not just centers and forwards.

Anyway, that is what I see. I know as a player that I would never disappear during a game. If the team was struggling to score, I wanted the ball in my hands
to create a shot, or an open look for a teammate. Watching Tyler defer when things got tough was hard to watch. Hopefully he matures and learns from this
year.

Tom Domako

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:33 am

Thanks, Tom. I think we all appreciate your insight.

I was young and not really a basketball fan when you played, but I remember my dad was a huge fan of yours and continued to talk about you for years after you left the program.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:29 am

Domako wrote:To lose a 19 pt lead you have to be bad on both ends of the court. Play good defense the rest of the way and you win, play good offense and you win.

We are awful on the defensive end of the court. There are just a few things that you have to do in the college game today. Don't give up uncontested 3 pt
shots to even decent shooters. 33% from 3 pt range is equivalent to 50% from 2 pt range, so you have to guard the 3 pt line. The next thing is don't give
up layups and don't send your opponent to the free throw line. Those 3 things are key on the defensive end in college. We were horrible at all three.
I constantly see us giving up wide open 3's to even there great shooters. We also have no rim protectors so we constantly give up layups or foul players
on the drive.

On the offensive end, Tyler and Harry don't get enough shots. I'm not sure what the team is doing on offense, but it seems that we got better shots
the last 3 years then we did this year. When that happens, both start taking bad shots which just compounds the problem. I saw too many shots with
hands in our face or 3 feet behind the 3 pt line. Most college offenses need penetration into the middle of the key for dump off layups or kickouts
to 3 pt shooters stepping into their shots. We can do better the step back 3's and shots from 4 feet beyond the line. The only player that is good at
penetrating off the dribble is Klines and unfortunately he doesn't look to pass when he gets in the lane. We need Harry and Tyler to get better at
getting in the lane and creating their own "good" shot, because nobody is creating open looks for them.

I also don't see off ball screens very much or any post ups. Penetration can come from posting up a player so that you draw a double team and create
the kickout for an open jump shot. You can post any player that you think has a matchup advantage, not just centers and forwards.

Anyway, that is what I see. I know as a player that I would never disappear during a game. If the team was struggling to score, I wanted the ball in my hands
to create a shot, or an open look for a teammate. Watching Tyler defer when things got tough was hard to watch. Hopefully he matures and learns from this
year.
Exactly. The great teams are good on both ends consistently. Average teams that can beat anyone on any night are typically very consistently good on one end or the other. Bad teams are consistently bad on both ends. Unfortunately I think most people can see where MSU fit into that this season.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:54 am

Domako wrote:To lose a 19 pt lead you have to be bad on both ends of the court. Play good defense the rest of the way and you win, play good offense and you win.

on the drive.

year.
Great analysis. Once again, these are items that a coaching staff has to pick up and make adjustments. If these aren’t happening, the coach is ultimately responsible.

On another note, my favorite MSU teams were during the Domako era. I can’t recall specifically, but didn’t you play with Chris Conway? I remember his passing opened up so many opportunities for the rest of the team.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:59 am

on the drive.

year.
Great post Tom! On a somewhat related note, VT blew a 21 point 2nd half lead to lose to ND last night so at least they had a bigger melt down than us. LOL

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Domako
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Domako » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:02 pm

Cataholic wrote:

on the drive.

year.
Great analysis. Once again, these are items that a coaching staff has to pick up and make adjustments. If these aren’t happening, the coach is ultimately responsible.

On another note, my favorite MSU teams were during the Domako era. I can’t recall specifically, but didn’t you play with Chris Conway? I remember his passing opened up so many opportunities for the rest of the team.
Yes, Chris was on the team my junior and senior years. Chris played at the same high school with Ray Willis and transferred after playing at a junior college for 2 years.
I was blessed to play with other great players, makes it much easier.

Tom Domako

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:03 pm

Cataholic wrote:

on the drive.

year.

Those teams were fun to watch. Tom and the Ferches and Tony Hampton and Ray Willis and Conway. It was so awesome when as a 6 seed we beat top seeded UM in the 1986 title game, and then we swept UM the next year in 1987. I believe that's only happened maybe 2 or 3 times in the 40 years that I've been following MSU hoops.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:08 pm

We had zero inside scoring threat this year, at least post-wise. We scored in the paint a decent amount from penetration and backdoor layins, but we couldn't just feed the post, not even as a distraction because who needs to double team undersized Neumann in the paint? Mvuezolo is a wing player all the way, no inside game.

Teams in our conference can succeed without a huge inside threat, but we didn't do the things that teams with that problem typically do to offset it.

Our talent was always going to cap us this year, but we didn't get the most out of our guys. I agree with msclacat that I don't think Fish was great an putting the right 5 guys on the floor at any given time for that circumstance.

But really our playcalling in our slide was just head-scratching sometimes.

When we were clicking the Cats were really fun to watch, but the team just never was consistently... a team, for a lack of a better way to describe it. Something was broken, as others have said, and sometimes that's hard to put a finger on.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:24 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:Middle of the first half. Tyler Hall gets in rhythm and drops back-to-back 3-pointers. Looks great. Immediately goes to the bench.
:roll:

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:38 pm

PHAT CAT wrote:
griz5700 wrote:
seataccat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
seataccat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:Just when you think it can't possibly get any worse....
Oh it can get way worse, 2002 is still causing nightmares.
That team won a NIT game....this is way way worse.
The collapse against the griz in the BSC tourney was way worse yes... Way worse they were the conference regular season champions with a 20 something lead on the griz and lost the game.
That Dan Trammel dunk....awesome.
Don Holst and Jim Sampson are good friends of mine. With that in mind. Go F yourself prick lover.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:49 pm

on the drive.

year.

I agree. Hard to watch and thanks for your insight, Tom. Loved watching you play BTW!

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:52 pm

CelticCat wrote:We had zero inside scoring threat this year, at least post-wise. We scored in the paint a decent amount from penetration and backdoor layins, but we couldn't just feed the post, not even as a distraction because who needs to double team undersized Neumann in the paint? Mvuezolo is a wing player all the way, no inside game.

Teams in our conference can succeed without a huge inside threat, but we didn't do the things that teams with that problem typically do to offset it.

Our talent was always going to cap us this year, but we didn't get the most out of our guys. I agree with msclacat that I don't think Fish was great an putting the right 5 guys on the floor at any given time for that circumstance.

When we were clicking the Cats were really fun to watch, but the team just never was consistently... a team, for a lack of a better way to describe it. Something was broken, as others have said, and sometimes that's hard to put a finger on.
Joe and Konner needed to play more IMO

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:17 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
CelticCat wrote:We had zero inside scoring threat this year, at least post-wise. We scored in the paint a decent amount from penetration and backdoor layins, but we couldn't just feed the post, not even as a distraction because who needs to double team undersized Neumann in the paint? Mvuezolo is a wing player all the way, no inside game.

Joe and Konner needed to play more IMO
Yea, the lack of Frey in particular was a bit puzzling to me. Seemed like a pretty solid player that should've had a bigger impact than he did, through no fault of his own.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

BobcatFan68
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BobcatFan68 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:40 pm

sacstateman wrote:You guys best look where the problem lies and I don't see it at Fish's feet....Tyler Hall is the reason you lost today...he did nothing to get open the whole second half...you will be much better without him....you should be hoping he goes pro (he will be lucky to play overseas)....Tyler Hall is a selfish player who doesn't know how to work through the hard times...if things don't go his way, he basically disappears as he did in the second half today...sorry, I'm not trying to piss anyone off but I'm just telling you what I see...if you watch a replay of this game, you too will see what I just described, Tyler hanging out in the corner hoping the guy guarding him falls asleep long enough for him to get a shot off...no movement to the ball, basket or around screens...Watch it for yourself...you'll see....
Not sure you know basketball. Selfish? He probably is the most unselfish player on the floor and that hurts him. As far as standing in the corner, that is part of the offense--it is called the Spread offense--not saying it works-just stating a fact. You can't take shots if you do not have the ball. I just watched the game again and yes Tyler is standing in the corner but that is because the ball gets STUCK in the flow of the offense. If the ball gets STUCK than there is no where to go or move. Tyler and Harry both got shut out by their own offense. I would not disagree with you that Tyler needs to move but to say he lost the game is just absurd--that is coaching. Gotta control the guys that won't run the offense. It is apparent to me that you must not have played or coached the game--my guess you know someone on the team.

sacstateman
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by sacstateman » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:13 pm

BobcatFan68 wrote:
sacstateman wrote:You guys best look where the problem lies and I don't see it at Fish's feet....Tyler Hall is the reason you lost today...he did nothing to get open the whole second half...you will be much better without him....you should be hoping he goes pro (he will be lucky to play overseas)....Tyler Hall is a selfish player who doesn't know how to work through the hard times...if things don't go his way, he basically disappears as he did in the second half today...sorry, I'm not trying to piss anyone off but I'm just telling you what I see...if you watch a replay of this game, you too will see what I just described, Tyler hanging out in the corner hoping the guy guarding him falls asleep long enough for him to get a shot off...no movement to the ball, basket or around screens...Watch it for yourself...you'll see....
Not sure you know basketball. Selfish? He probably is the most unselfish player on the floor and that hurts him. As far as standing in the corner, that is part of the offense--it is called the Spread offense--not saying it works-just stating a fact. You can't take shots if you do not have the ball. I just watched the game again and yes Tyler is standing in the corner but that is because the ball gets STUCK in the flow of the offense. If the ball gets STUCK than there is no where to go or move. Tyler and Harry both got shut out by their own offense. I would not disagree with you that Tyler needs to move but to say he lost the game is just absurd--that is coaching. Gotta control the guys that won't run the offense. It is apparent to me that you must not have played or coached the game--my guess you know someone on the team.

Not sure you know much either....I have no connection to MSU at all nor do I really care about MSU, just saying what I saw which is pretty much the same as your former player Domako saw....I have played but not for quite a few years....been around the game for over 50 years and when I see a player who mopes around the court when the going gets tough, I consider that a selfish move since he is basically only concerned with 1 person on the court....when things are going good he looks like a world beater but if things go awry he disappears...not a very "team first" behavior....You must be a wantabe who thinks Hall is NBA material but he won't be drafted at all, probably gets the cursory free agent signing and maybe a few minutes in the summer league but that is about it unless he changes his whole attitude about the game...sorry, but we will have to agree to disagree on this one until he proves me right next year or if he is really dumb, he may declare for the draft this year and then he doesn't even get the cursory look....Oh and BTW, I see you have all of 17 posts on this site, you must be a really involved fan...

BobcatFan68
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BobcatFan68 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:55 pm

sacstateman wrote:
BobcatFan68 wrote:

Not sure you know much either....I have no connection to MSU at all nor do I really care about MSU, just saying what I saw which is pretty much the same as your former player Domako saw....I have played but not for quite a few years....been around the game for over 50 years and when I see a player who mopes around the court when the going gets tough, I consider that a selfish move since he is basically only concerned with 1 person on the court....when things are going good he looks like a world beater but if things go awry he disappears...not a very "team first" behavior....You must be a wantabe who thinks Hall is NBA material but he won't be drafted at all, probably gets the cursory free agent signing and maybe a few minutes in the summer league but that is about it unless he changes his whole attitude about the game...sorry, but we will have to agree to disagree on this one until he proves me right next year or if he is really dumb, he may declare for the draft this year and then he doesn't even get the cursory look....Oh and BTW, I see you have all of 17 posts on this site, you must be a really involved fan...
More involved than you and by your post, I actually know the game a lot more. Just saw this as I had to stay away from some of the nonsense on this board and this will be my exit.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:39 pm

Hall has a lot to work on to get to the next level. but "selfishness" is no where on the list. remember, watching a guy from the stands is often not near enough to judge his character and desire.