WBB vs ND

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

WBB vs ND

Post by Mtcatfan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:23 pm

Quite a nice big run by the ladies to go up 36-21 at the half. Gotta keep going to the hoop along with the up tempo.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: WBB vs ND

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:13 pm

Cats up 7 with 30 seconds and the ball. Make free throws!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:16 pm

Yes! Cats win 68-58. Only got to see that last two minutes. Hopefully the replay is available.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:18 pm

Nice job ladies! Moving on to play Idaho next, which will be tough - they beat MSU by about 20 in Bozeman a few weeks ago.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:23 pm

Congrats to the MSU women on advancing to the QF. It got a bit more dramatic in the 4th quarter than you'd like, but we hit a couple of big threes that gave us a little bit of a cushion again, and then hit enough FT at the end to win by a comfortable margin.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:26 pm

This win sews up another winning record for this program. Very good to keep it north of .500. I will never take a winning record for granted when it comes to a Bobcat basketball team.
Idaho is very tough match up. When I saw them in Bozeman they couldn't miss, plus they are huge inside. Maybe they'll have the opening game jitters and our team can jump on them. In any case, it's all gravy from here on out for this team.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:35 pm

Hatchard with 18. She really rises to the occasion in Reno. https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/970860784807903232

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:38 pm

Huge first half run, clutch shooting lifts Bobcats past UND
https://skylinesportsmt.com/huge-first- ... -past-und/

LISTEN: Big Sky women's tournament - Montana State 68, North Dakota 58
https://skylinesportsmt.com/big-sky-wom ... dakota-58/

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:13 am

Really a good, hard-fought win against a very "physical" opponent — that is code for a team that pushes and shoves and fouls a lot. Loved the way we took advantage of our quickness, and kudos to Blaire Braxton and Madeline Smith for hanging tough with all the muscle inside. The only thing that seemed to keep this closer than it should have been was that continuing layup bugaboo — the final total was only 7-19 which is the same percentage that they shot from 3-point range. Some of the misses were pretty good looks. Idaho is just about a polar opposite of North Dakota. The air will be full of basketballs. Good luck again, and I hope ever so much we can pull the upset.

Go Cats!

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:16 pm

Just observed that all the 20 win teams are in the other side of the bracket. The Cats need to beat a 17 win team (Idaho) and then with winner of a 17 vs. 18 win team. Not sure it makes any difference and clearly Idaho is playing extremely well right now, but it gave me a glimmer of hope.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:12 pm

Darth Yoda wrote:Just observed that all the 20 win teams are in the other side of the bracket. The Cats need to beat a 17 win team (Idaho) and then with winner of a 17 vs. 18 win team. Not sure it makes any difference and clearly Idaho is playing extremely well right now, but it gave me a glimmer of hope.
Honestly, I don't think overall records are very relevant when comparing the relative strength or weakness of various teams. A team's record in NC games is largely a function of how difficult a schedule they played, and also those NC games were played in November and December, and many teams have gotten either significantly better or worse since then. I think you have to mainly consider just the conference records when making those sorts of evaluations. I realize that's not even completely accurate anymore, since the BSC no longer plays a full round robin schedule, but it's a lot more valid means of comparison than looking at the overall records.

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:32 pm

John K wrote:
Darth Yoda wrote:Just observed that all the 20 win teams are in the other side of the bracket. The Cats need to beat a 17 win team (Idaho) and then with winner of a 17 vs. 18 win team. Not sure it makes any difference and clearly Idaho is playing extremely well right now, but it gave me a glimmer of hope.
Honestly, I don't think overall records are very relevant when comparing the relative strength or weakness of various teams. A team's record in NC games is largely a function of how difficult a schedule they played, and also those NC games were played in November and December, and many teams have gotten either significantly better or worse since then. I think you have to mainly consider just the conference records when making those sorts of evaluations. I realize that's not even completely accurate anymore, since the BSC no longer plays a full round robin schedule, but it's a lot more valid means of comparison than looking at the overall records.
Yeah I know I'm stretching things. I just like to find ways to be optimistic. Just a casual observation.