Recruiting of Montana D-1 Basketball Players

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Recruiting of Montana D-1 Basketball Players

Post by mslacat » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:35 pm

KIX wrote:
mslacat wrote:For those of you claiming Caleb Bellach is not D-1 material he is starting to make some noise and get the attention of D-1 coaches this spring playing basketball for Idaho in the AAU tourneys. Named as one of the top surprises at the Double Pump Hoop Fest:
Prephoops.com
Double Pump Hoop Fest: Biggest Surprises
Caleb Bellach, 2019 6-5 SG, Team Select Black
Bellach who hails from Montana, was the biggest revelation of the weekend. He shot the lights out in Select’s victory over Prodigy Elite. While his shooting is impressive (quick, smooth release and great footwork), Bellach is much more than a shooter. He did a solid job attacking off the dribble against Prodigy’s stout halfcourt defense, and was strong enough to absorb the contact and finish at the rim. He also has solid bounce, which allows him to corral rebounds at the high point and make plays above the rim in transition. Bellach, whose father was a star at NAIA Montana Tech, claims interest from Denver and Incarnate Word. Expect the local D1 schools (Idaho, Montana and Montana State) to get in the mix sooner than later.
We all realize, mslacat, that you are a "Bellach to D1 homer" and we all know that he can dunk and shoot but can he PLAY D at a D1 level? Time will tell...I've seen him play and he lacks on that end of the floor.
For the record ! am not a "Bellach Homer"!! I am a "Montana Kid Homer" Too often since the mid-2000's the Montana D-1 coaches have ignored home grown talent, simply becuase they were from Montana, for the so-called riches of other so called bigger states. Only to miss or jump on board late after the Montana kids gets national notice. No I don't think we should be signing 2-3 Montana kids a year. D-1 kids are rare in Montana, but the UM and MSU coaches should at least give them the same attention and consideration a kid from California! Every year it is pretty obvious who the better Montana players are SCOUT them honestly, them make a decision. Right now the MOntana coaches leave it up to the Montana kids to contact them, hell the Montana coaches won't even contact kids with the idea of walking on!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:13 pm

mslacat wrote:
KIX wrote:
mslacat wrote:For those of you claiming Caleb Bellach is not D-1 material he is starting to make some noise and get the attention of D-1 coaches this spring playing basketball for Idaho in the AAU tourneys. Named as one of the top surprises at the Double Pump Hoop Fest:
Prephoops.com
Bellach who hails from Montana, was the biggest revelation of the weekend. He shot the lights out in Select’s victory over Prodigy Elite. While his shooting is impressive (quick, smooth release and great footwork), Bellach is much more than a shooter. He did a solid job attacking off the dribble against Prodigy’s stout halfcourt defense, and was strong enough to absorb the contact and finish at the rim. He also has solid bounce, which allows him to corral rebounds at the high point and make plays above the rim in transition. Bellach, whose father was a star at NAIA Montana Tech, claims interest from Denver and Incarnate Word. Expect the local D1 schools (Idaho, Montana and Montana State) to get in the mix sooner than later.
We all realize, mslacat, that you are a "Bellach to D1 homer" and we all know that he can dunk and shoot but can he PLAY D at a D1 level? Time will tell...I've seen him play and he lacks on that end of the floor.
For the record ! am not a "Bellach Homer"!! I am a "Montana Kid Homer" Too often since the mid-2000's the Montana D-1 coaches have ignored home grown talent, simply becuase they were from Montana, for the so-called riches of other so called bigger states. Only to miss or jump on board late after the Montana kids gets national notice. No I don't think we should be signing 2-3 Montana kids a year. D-1 kids are rare in Montana, but the UM and MSU coaches should at least give them the same attention and consideration a kid from California! Every year it is pretty obvious who the better Montana players are SCOUT them honestly, them make a decision. Right now the MOntana coaches leave it up to the Montana kids to contact them, hell the Montana coaches won't even contact kids with the idea of walking on!
Why would we recruit him when there's so many single digit scoring JC players for us to get instead. How else are we gonna win those 13-15 regular season games and almost but not quite win a Big Sky tournament first rounder?

desmond1957
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by desmond1957 » Tue May 01, 2018 11:38 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
mslacat wrote:
KIX wrote:
Prephoops.com
Why would we recruit him when there's so many single digit scoring JC players for us to get instead. How else are we gonna win those 13-15 regular season games and almost but not quite win a Big Sky tournament first rounder?
GREAT POINT!! From what I've seen the Bellach kid sure deserves a VERY close look by Fish, he has the size and hops as a junior that some of the present Cats could only WISH for. Like Belgrade Bobcat I was blown away by the stats of Fish's last addition. What the hell is going on and when do we get a CENTER????

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue May 01, 2018 5:43 pm

All I ask is give the kid a chance before Idaho signs him and he comes back to haunt 2-3 times a year for the next 4 years!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon May 07, 2018 10:30 pm

https://twitter.com/406mtsports/status/993656997466771458 I think this is a good move for this kid. If he impresses for a season or two at the JC he could get an offer-maybe even from Fish who at least has shown he'll look at Montana kid after a couple of JC seasons by signing Ladan Ricketts. It'll be fun to follow him and see if his game translates in college.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Tue May 08, 2018 9:22 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:https://twitter.com/406mtsports/status/993656997466771458 I think this is a good move for this kid. If he impresses for a season or two at the JC he could get an offer-maybe even from Fish who at least has shown he'll look at Montana kid after a couple of JC seasons by signing Ladan Ricketts. It'll be fun to follow him and see if his game translates in college.
It's a great move for him. If over the next 2 years he proves he can play at that level then he'll have D1 options. Unfortunately though, I can't see him playing D1 ball in Montana for anyone other than UM.

rosco_cat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by rosco_cat » Tue May 08, 2018 8:18 pm

Apparently he feels this is the best option, but playing jc doesn't mean you'll automatically have D1 looks or offers. Seems like the majority of jc players move on to lower level NCAA programs or NAIA.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue May 08, 2018 10:30 pm

LTown Cat wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:https://twitter.com/406mtsports/status/993656997466771458 I think this is a good move for this kid. If he impresses for a season or two at the JC he could get an offer-maybe even from Fish who at least has shown he'll look at Montana kid after a couple of JC seasons by signing Ladan Ricketts. It'll be fun to follow him and see if his game translates in college.
It's a great move for him. If over the next 2 years he proves he can play at that level then he'll have D1 options. Unfortunately though, I can't see him playing D1 ball in Montana for anyone other than UM.
I think we may take in some games and watch him...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Wed May 09, 2018 11:58 am

rosco_cat wrote:Apparently he feels this is the best option, but playing jc doesn't mean you'll automatically have D1 looks or offers. Seems like the majority of jc players move on to lower level NCAA programs or NAIA.
You're absolutely right and there isn't anything wrong with that.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu May 10, 2018 5:00 pm

https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/994705878526836738 https://twitter.com/q2scottbreen/status/994703708523974656

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Thu May 10, 2018 6:10 pm

All the best to Brendan and Kendal (except for Kendal in the Cat-griz games).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu May 10, 2018 6:50 pm

Hawks86 wrote:https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/994705878526836738 https://twitter.com/q2scottbreen/status/994703708523974656
Had no idea Bobby was an assistant there.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.