Recruiting of Montana D-1 Basketball Players

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

KIX
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Recruiting of Montana D-1 Basketball Players

Post by KIX » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:37 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
Yes, MC has been a worthy opponent and the Scobey's and Melstone's but I beg you to name a fifth in the whole state? If you are a talented one or two man show at the Class C level, you can dominate. All you have to be is better than the one best player on the opposing team. If you have a second or a third legit player at that level, you feel like you've won the lottery.
Well Heart Butte went into state undefeated including a win over a Class B school and victories over the Bobcat fan favorite Pickering in Sunburst (a highly touted one man team like you mention above). Heart Butte has a quality player in the 6'3" guard Spoonrunner kid who is a sophomore which I guess means they should have won it all this year.... but you might remember the Heart Butte kids had not been home for nearly 3 weeks due to the snow/wind in the Browning/Heart Butte area and the kids were puking on the sidelines at state (as was Malatare). Fairview started 4 sophomores and a junior and made state with its only losses to Scobey and an upset loss in Division to Park City...which they avenged at State, also had a win over a Class B school.

I will ask again.... did you go see the kid play? And how much Class C ball have you watched? Who are you kidding about winning state with one or two kids? I can tell you that you ain't gonna win Class C with one or two guys. It takes 7 or 8 quality players to win state in Class C. Chinook had 4 kids in the 6'4" range this year and no guard play so could not get out of Divisional. Highwood four years ago in Billings had 5 great starters but no bench and could not even get into Saturday night at state... a great team though. CJI had 4 players that could have played on any team in the state 3 years ago and couldn't make it out of the division with no bench. But if you want to assemble a mighty duo and try to win it all...... well just go for it and prove me wrong.[/quote]

Thank you for this post. You said it much better than I could ever do and I get so damn mad at the asshat AA graduates and psuedoballplayers still living their glory days (Thanks Bruce Springsteen!) that I just quit reading their bull sheet and consider the source. Just a bunch of lazy, worthless dumbs**ts who come on these sites bragging about how "great" they were in high school and making excuses why they weren't worth a sh*t in college. Especially the sorry asses who got beat out by a kid from someplace like Drummond or Westby.[/quote]

I've seen Philip play a lot. Good player, but still, I just don't see the extreme infatuation. Maybe he'll prove me wrong.

Asshat AA graduates? That's hilarious...at least its not the "me against the world" Class C & B asshats! Get a decent athlete from a C or B school that makes a college roster and the "town folk" get all excited and then start talking statewide about the past over their Saturday morning coffee at the café. Anyway, I'd love to see a few of these smaller school athletes maintain their composure when they go up against 6-10, 6-9, 6-7 guys everynight. I'll leave it at that.

desmond1957
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by desmond1957 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:25 pm

Years ago Durham (I think) recruited a kid from Class C Willow Creek (Nolan Murphy?) who was a lights out shooter from downtown. Can't remember how many years he played but his defense was his weakness. From watching a lot of Class B and C thru the years he kind of illustrates what some of these players have to overcome, the emphasis is on shooting and less so on defense. Games are really entertaining but transitioning to D1 is a difficult process. Of course one still has to wonder if the present Cat roster has gone too far the other way watching players miss wide open layups over and over!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:55 pm

https://twitter.com/KurtKFBB/status/977805044115390465 Some buzz about Malatere at the HIT. I believe the Class C kids beat the AA kids for the title.
Does MSU scout these post season tournaments at all? Or are we out hard recruiting the 80th best player in Nevada right now (who we probably won't get)?

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:12 pm

(this is the first time I have attempted to post Twitter tweets to this message board. Have patience)
Friday I saw this tweet.
https://twitter.com/WylieTom/status/977338654732435456 I responded thus
https://twitter.com/mslacat/status/977348415095894017 This was one of the reply tweets from Shawn Harrison
https://twitter.com/sharrison_mt/status/977381859213565952 That reply/response was "liked" by 9 folks including Caleb Bellach, Jaden Graham, Wes Holquist and a few more High school coaches. Is MSU getting a deserved/undeserved repution around the state?

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:38 am

mslacat wrote:
That reply/response was "liked" by 9 folks including Caleb Bellach, Jaden Graham, Wes Holquist and a few more High school coaches. Is MSU getting a deserved/undeserved repution around the state?
Considering they've taken two and one was the Freshman of the Year (I don't count Fisher as he was signed by Huse), it's undeserved to this point. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter whether it is deserved or undeserved, it is what it is.

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:53 am

mslacat wrote:(this is the first time I have attempted to post Twitter tweets to this message board. Have patience)
Friday I saw this tweet.
https://twitter.com/WylieTom/status/977338654732435456 I responded thus
https://twitter.com/mslacat/status/977348415095894017 This was one of the reply tweets from Shawn Harrison
https://twitter.com/sharrison_mt/status/977381859213565952 That reply/response was "liked" by 9 folks including Caleb Bellach, Jaden Graham, Wes Holquist and a few more High school coaches. Is MSU getting a deserved/undeserved repution around the state?
Harrison also thinks that there is about 4-5 kids a year that should be playing for the griz or Cats....

KIX
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by KIX » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:08 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:https://twitter.com/KurtKFBB/status/977805044115390465 Some buzz about Malatere at the HIT. I believe the Class C kids beat the AA kids for the title.
Does MSU scout these post season tournaments at all? Or are we out hard recruiting the 80th best player in Nevada right now (who we probably won't get)?
The HIT/Senior Classic are both jokes unless you like watching an undisciplined free-for-all...Any post season all star tourney of this magnitude is useless and this year was no exception. But if you want to see dunks, no defense and run and gun threes for 40 minutes (Bellach/Graham) by all means, go. I was hoping to see other players that didn't show up - especially AA & B - so I'd put little cred in any of these tournaments, let alone for scouting. Please keep in mind also..just because you can dunk and hit a three at the HIT, you still need to play D and be a team player at the next level.

rosco_cat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by rosco_cat » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:28 pm

KIX wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:https://twitter.com/KurtKFBB/status/977805044115390465 Some buzz about Malatere at the HIT. I believe the Class C kids beat the AA kids for the title.
The HIT/Senior Classic are both jokes unless you like watching an undisciplined free-for-all...Any post season all star tourney of this magnitude is useless and this year was no exception. But if you want to see dunks, no defense and run and gun threes for 40 minutes (Bellach/Graham) by all means, go. I was hoping to see other players that didn't show up - especially AA & B - so I'd put little cred in any of these tournaments, let alone for scouting. Please keep in mind also..just because you can dunk and hit a three at the HIT, you still need to play D and be a team player at the next level.
You nailed it. Pretty much run and gun no defense one man show type of basketball. Very little real information about an individuals basketball skills, knowledge, or actual ability comes from these tournaments.
Last edited by rosco_cat on Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:29 pm

BTW when I started this thread, the point was not "Boy what did MSU do to ticked off these two Montana high school players". It was more the big picture "is the program some how getting a bad name among the Montana high school Coaches and Player" I must admit I find it odd that MSU is being single out for having too many foreign players on our roster, when only two were recruited from Europe the others were recruited from US colleges. Additionally UM is recruiting and has quite a few foreign players on their roster.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:41 pm

Had the opportunity to attend some McDonald's All Star games. I believe every coach at a P5 and G5 school was there talking to a few of the kids during the events...but they didn't know what a waste of time these tournaments are...just wasted their time I guess.

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:39 pm

mslacat wrote:BTW when I started this thread, the point was not "Boy what did MSU do to ticked off these two Montana high school players". It was more the big picture "is the program some how getting a bad name among the Montana high school Coaches and Player" I must admit I find it odd that MSU is being single out for having too many foreign players on our roster, when only two were recruited from Europe the others were recruited from US colleges. Additionally UM is recruiting and has quite a few foreign players on their roster.
I agree that MSU is getting an unfair rep in Montana, but losing will do that. I have heard from many people (some that we both know) that say "If we are going to suck this bad, at least suck with Montana players." I think, also, when you see that Fish has basically lost an entire recruiting class in the last year, it doesn't help either. Fish and crew have a HUGE uphill battle on their hands...

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:08 pm

KIX wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
Asshat AA graduates? That's hilarious...at least its not the "me against the world" Class C & B asshats! Get a decent athlete from a C or B school that makes a college roster and the "town folk" get all excited and then start talking statewide about the past over their Saturday morning coffee at the café. Anyway, I'd love to see a few of these smaller school athletes maintain their composure when they go up against 6-10, 6-9, 6-7 guys everynight. I'll leave it at that.

Well I never called anyone an asshat but if a town of 200 to 300 folks and 40 kids in high school gets a kid playing D-1 ball I am happy as hell for them and they have the right to brag all they want in my eyes. Why does that incense you? Are the "town folks" a bit below you? Hell you should be happy if a kid comes out of some podunk and excels for the Griz or Cats or whoever.

I have seen the other side of this too. You know the AA folks who think they are "anointed" and only deserve to go the bathroom on heated toilet seats, with a warm water bedet to cleanse and the aroma of rose petals and lavender as they walk out of the stall.

I enjoy watching basketball at all levels and try to make many games. I don't care whether a kid is a AA, A, B or C player... if they are good they deserve a look. Nobody is stupid, just by sheer numbers alone the AA schools are going to produce more players. But you won't get any kids with any more heart and hustle than the C and B kids. There are more students in Bozeman and Belgrade than all of Class C in the state so if AA can't produce more candidates there is a problem. But if you pick out the best of the C and B folks you will get competitive kids with the AA and A kids. Robin Selvig didn't build a 600 win program with a continuous core of Montana kids by only recruiting AA.... he recruited the state and thats what he did very well. And I will leave it at that.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:32 pm

KIX wrote:

Yeah Kurt, I try to make these if I am in the area but was unable this year. You are right that the C girls won all their games. The C boys lost to the B squad by 2 but won out over A and beat AA twice so they won the championship.

I didn't get to see the Worster kid play for AA all year but obviously just looking at the stats he must be a helluva player and apparently has already committed to the Griz, I see he was the MVP and only shot the ball 70 times to be the leading scorer. I also saw that Malataire got the assist award, and as only a 5'6" kid that apparently can't jump ( calm down.... just a bit of sarcasm) he was the leading rebounder in the tourney (someone who was there needs to explain that one to me), and shot 57% from 2 point range which I was told earlier was going to be impossible against bigger folks (unlike others at the tourney he only attempted one 3 point shot so he must have been an abnormality).

Since I don't get to the whole state to watch games I do enjoy going to just see the kids. This is a recognition event for them not for me, i.e. picked by coaches and others as the tops in their Class. And I think most of the kids like the recognition/honor of being nominated....at least the ones I visit with said so. You do pick up on some truly talented folks out of the scrum during the games. And yep it is pure "run and gun" and fun which is what I think it should be. I am sure there is a bit of pride for winning for your Class also and I find the Classes to be pretty competitive against one another.......I think the last time i was there the Class B girls were dominant with the Malta/Fairfield connection and the AA guys won over the C guys.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:47 pm

Griznationalist wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:All the guys I can think of that are currently playing DI basketball all come from AA schools.
There you go again, Hawks86, spoiling the fun by presenting some facts. Just when it was getting rolling, too.

Ha! That is a good one. Would you like me to order the participation trophies tomorrow?

Just facts now... you know thats all we want....I already placed the order for the higher level trophies for the last two years for the guys and gals in basketball and football. You know:
- Mac Bignell... Class C, First Team all Big Sky Defense, Bobcats
- Jill Barta... Class B, Three time First Team all WCC and 2017-18 WCC Player of the Year, Gonzaga
- Peyton Ferris... Class C, Big Sky MVP, Bobcats
- Troy Andersen.... Class A, Big Sky Freshman of the year, Bobcats
- I am sure there others I missed but these are a few I came up with quickly.

I know, I know we can keep going back and forth on this one for a long time. We can make it as narrow as you want or as broad as you want.

Guess I wonder why we don't want all the kids in Class AA, A, B and C to be successful and to get candidates out of anywhere. My ideal scenario would be that I could list 10 kids for awards like those listed every year that came out of any high school no matter what level across the state. We could cheer for them all whether they were AA, A , B, or C... or homeschool..... I don't care as long was they were Montana kids excelling at the D1 level and representing the state well.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:57 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Griznationalist wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:All the guys I can think of that are currently playing DI basketball all come from AA schools.
There you go again, Hawks86, spoiling the fun by presenting some facts. Just when it was getting rolling, too.

Ha! That is a good one. Would you like me to order the participation trophies tomorrow?

Just facts now... you know thats all we want....I already placed the order for the higher level trophies for the last two years for the guys and gals in basketball and football. You know:
- Mac Bignell... Class C, First Team all Big Sky Defense, Bobcats
- Jill Barta... Class B, Three time First Team all WCC and 2017-18 WCC Player of the Year, Gonzaga
- Peyton Ferris... Class C, Big Sky MVP, Bobcats
- Troy Andersen.... Class A, Big Sky Freshman of the year, Bobcats
- I am sure there others I missed but these are a few I came up with quickly.

I know, I know we can keep going back and forth on this one for a long time. We can make it as narrow as you want or as broad as you want.

Guess I wonder why we don't want all the kids in Class AA, A, B and C to be successful and to get candidates out of anywhere. My ideal scenario would be that I could list 10 kids for awards like those listed every year that came out of any high school no matter what level across the state. We could cheer for them all whether they were AA, A , B, or C... or homeschool..... I don't care as long was they were Montana kids excelling at the D1 level and representing the state well.
You should have included catgrads comment. That is the only reason I responded with what I did.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:48 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
You should have included catgrads comment. That is the only reason I responded with what I did.[/quote]

Sorry......missed that.... it blew right by me.....but then a lot "blows right by me" these days.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:30 pm

https://twitter.com/montanasports/status/983799783381962758

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:10 pm

Hawks86 wrote:https://twitter.com/montanasports/status/983799783381962758
Kendall is in a difficult situation. He is just finishing out his sophomore year at OSU and has two years of eligibility, BUT he has already used his redshirt year at OSU. If he transfers to a D-1 school under current rules he will need to sit out a year and thus have only one year of eligibility remaining. If he wants to play two years he may need to transfer to a D-2 or NAIA school where he will not need to sit out a transfer year. One possible chance to go D-1, play right away and retain both years of eligibility would be if the NCAA adopts the proposed rule change next June that would allow D-1 players a one time transfer to another D-1 school with-out penalty (ie sitting out a transfer year). As I have said before though, the majority of coaches seem to be against this rule change, so I am not sure if it will have the votes (AD's are thee ones that actually vote.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:09 pm

For those of you claiming Caleb Bellach is not D-1 material he is starting to make some noise and get the attention of D-1 coaches this spring playing basketball for Idaho in the AAU tourneys. Named as one of the top surprises at the Double Pump Hoop Fest:
Prephoops.com
Double Pump Hoop Fest: Biggest Surprises
Caleb Bellach, 2019 6-5 SG, Team Select Black
Bellach who hails from Montana, was the biggest revelation of the weekend. He shot the lights out in Select’s victory over Prodigy Elite. While his shooting is impressive (quick, smooth release and great footwork), Bellach is much more than a shooter. He did a solid job attacking off the dribble against Prodigy’s stout halfcourt defense, and was strong enough to absorb the contact and finish at the rim. He also has solid bounce, which allows him to corral rebounds at the high point and make plays above the rim in transition. Bellach, whose father was a star at NAIA Montana Tech, claims interest from Denver and Incarnate Word. Expect the local D1 schools (Idaho, Montana and Montana State) to get in the mix sooner than later.

KIX
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by KIX » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:01 pm

mslacat wrote:For those of you claiming Caleb Bellach is not D-1 material he is starting to make some noise and get the attention of D-1 coaches this spring playing basketball for Idaho in the AAU tourneys. Named as one of the top surprises at the Double Pump Hoop Fest:
Prephoops.com
Double Pump Hoop Fest: Biggest Surprises
Caleb Bellach, 2019 6-5 SG, Team Select Black
Bellach who hails from Montana, was the biggest revelation of the weekend. He shot the lights out in Select’s victory over Prodigy Elite. While his shooting is impressive (quick, smooth release and great footwork), Bellach is much more than a shooter. He did a solid job attacking off the dribble against Prodigy’s stout halfcourt defense, and was strong enough to absorb the contact and finish at the rim. He also has solid bounce, which allows him to corral rebounds at the high point and make plays above the rim in transition. Bellach, whose father was a star at NAIA Montana Tech, claims interest from Denver and Incarnate Word. Expect the local D1 schools (Idaho, Montana and Montana State) to get in the mix sooner than later.
We all realize, mslacat, that you are a "Bellach to D1 homer" and we all know that he can dunk and shoot but can he PLAY D at a D1 level? Time will tell...I've seen him play and he lacks on that end of the floor.