Recruiting of Montana D-1 Basketball Players

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Re: Recruiting of Montana D-1 Basketball Players

Post by gtapp » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:34 am

I think it would be fun, exciting and interesting to have a Bobcat team made up of almost all MT guys. I was going to add that we may need to recruit a few out of state guys for some height but then I realized we don't do that now so might as well stick with the in state guys. I bet the interest in MSU Basketball would go through the roof even with a 500 or below record. MSU basketball has been average to bad for so long that the apathy has really set in. One game a few weeks ago there was not even a game thread started. Nothing to lose. Sign 6 MT guys this year and see what happens.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:07 am

gtapp wrote:I think it would be fun, exciting and interesting to have a Bobcat team made up of almost all MT guys. I was going to add that we may need to recruit a few out of state guys for some height but then I realized we don't do that now so might as well stick with the in state guys. I bet the interest in MSU Basketball would go through the roof even with a 500 or below record. MSU basketball has been average to bad for so long that the apathy has really set in. One game a few weeks ago there was not even a game thread started. Nothing to lose. Sign 6 MT guys this year and see what happens.
While an interesting thought, there are not 6 guys that can play D1 in the state. We would go 1-27 with the only win an exhibition game against an NAIA school. You are right about generating interest, but in the long run, we would be terrible. I could get behind a 1 or 2 person a year MT kid and have 4 or 5 kids on the roster each year due to attrition. From what I have read, the Griz his year have signed Anderson from Bozeman High and have also talked to Malatare from Arlee. I am not sure either will make it in the long run. The Cats had a walk on from Choteau playing guard with them this year, but I am not sure if he got cut. Does anybody know?

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:31 pm

Do mt kids need time (a year or two) to ramp up their game to the higher level of comparison??

Or do they just don’t have the talent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

catsack
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by catsack » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:04 pm

77matcat wrote:Do mt kids need time (a year or two) to ramp up their game to the higher level of comparison??

I think there’s more Mt kids in the pac 12 then big sky

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:45 pm

catsack wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
PapaG wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:Sweet spin move by Philip Malatere of Arlee. Note the super quick move and then the actual making of the layup...a skill very few current members of the Montana State men's basketball team can accomplish. https://twitter.com/jordyhansen/status/969767957462073344
It's a nice move but the tallest guy protecting the rim looks to be about 6'2" at best. That's not that unique a move with nobody protecting the rim.
I watched the game last night. Malatare was impressive but not sure he is D1 caliber only because of the style of play. It was very undisciplined play (but super entertaining). There were more half court passes to beat the defense getting back than I have ever seen in a high school basketball game. Arlee has a solid 3 to 4 players that could play AA but then the talent starts to drop. Scobey was good, but some of his moves probably won’t translate to a higher level. How will his jump shot fade with a 6’4” athletic wingman guarding him? With that being said, Malatare can play! Easily a Frontier level guy. He can shoot, is quick, can handle the ball, has a great basketball IQ with a fiery will to win. He was ill last night and actually was vomiting during a timeout. He still dropped in 28 points, many which were in crucial situations. On one possession, he was pushing the ball down court, dribbled it off his leg at a high speed, and as it was heading out of bounds about 20 feet away, he was able to run it down and while going out of bounds, he cradled the ball and called a timeout. One of the best mental plays I have ever seen in high school. A couple of his moves (especially the spin moves) left me in awe. I did not see the athleticism that we look for in D1 players like Tres Tinkle, but that doesn’t mean that it doesn’t exist. If I was Fish, I would get him to a camp and see what he can do against some higher level guys.
I heard he was a beast at Griz camps last summer! I know he has at least a walk on offer with the griz !

Yeah he worked out with Griz and apparently has a walk on offer. Eastern has apparently had some interest. I suspect we will be playing against the kid someday.

The kid plays bigger than his 6'. Will make the same move against the 6'6" folks. Quickness is exceptional. I havent seen a game where he gets less than three steals and if he doesnt get the steal he is disruptive. If you noticed, teams started to move away from him bringing the ball up the court. Outstanding vision and situational awareness on the floor which you need to see in person to appreciate. Stops on a dime to shoot the jumper...one of best I have seen at this....full speed drive to an instant stop and shot with everyone else falling away. Can shoot the 3 ball but often prefers to make a move to collapse the floor and feed back out to the other 3 ball shooters on Arlee. Outstanding work ethic for a high school kid. Another poster on thread said he is a walking quadruple double and I concur

Folks tend to discount the Class C kids but two years ago I went to the all classes all star game in Havre. The C kids beat the B,A,AA teams on the first round. And beat the B,A squads on second round with a loss to the AA group. I did not see it but I understand Malatare and Bellach played all star together last year and were outstanding.

I told Fish the kid would make Lasse look silly. He is type of kids whose teamwork and assists lifts the rest of the team.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:52 am

catsack wrote:
77matcat wrote:Do mt kids need time (a year or two) to ramp up their game to the higher level of comparison??

True! But the Montana kids aren't good enough for Big Sky basketball...especially MSU. It's really hard to recruit to MSU we've been told.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:21 am

gtapp wrote:I think it would be fun, exciting and interesting to have a Bobcat team made up of almost all MT guys. I was going to add that we may need to recruit a few out of state guys for some height but then I realized we don't do that now so might as well stick with the in state guys. I bet the interest in MSU Basketball would go through the roof even with a 500 or below record. MSU basketball has been average to bad for so long that the apathy has really set in. One game a few weeks ago there was not even a game thread started. Nothing to lose. Sign 6 MT guys this year and see what happens.
You want the Frontier Conferece All-Stars to compete in the Big Sky? It would be interesting, sure, but I don't find anything "fun" or "exciting" about watching MSU get their heads kicked in winning maybe 5 total games, conference and OOC combined, each season.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:30 am

Talent, most MT kids play 2 or 3 other sports, and a lack experience playing against D1 size when it is basketball season. I know first-hand and I played at the top level of Montana basketball, as I posted my thoughts on it earlier in this thread.

Are there posters here who think both DeCuire and Fish are intentionally not offering MT kids that would make their teams better solely because those players are from Montana? I disregard anything Cat Grad posts as kooky, but a few others seem to be following that path and quite simply it isn't the case. We have video in this thread of a 5'10" Class C PG with a routine spin move finishing a layup 2' under the rim and people think that's a D1 player that is going to improve either the Cats or the Griz. I could dunk and so could half of my HS team and none of us were athletic enough or had the size for anything above NAIA, which 3 of our AA team eventually played and two of those went to a JC first.
Last edited by PapaG on Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:34 am

catsack wrote:

One of them, the player from Skyview, is now almost completely out of the rotation at Oregon State and could be a transfer opportunity. I saw him live along with Tres Tinkle last month at that UDub-OSU 2OT classic in Corvallis. The Skyview guy played sparingly in the first half and not at all in the 2nd and OTs and it seems hasn't played much at all since.

What a ride

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:21 am

BobcatDel wrote:
catsack wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
PapaG wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:Sweet spin move by Philip Malatere of Arlee. Note the super quick move and then the actual making of the layup...a skill very few current members of the Montana State men's basketball team can accomplish. https://twitter.com/jordyhansen/status/969767957462073344
It's a nice move but the tallest guy protecting the rim looks to be about 6'2" at best. That's not that unique a move with nobody protecting the rim.
I watched the game last night. Malatare was impressive but not sure he is D1 caliber only because of the style of play. It was very undisciplined play (but super entertaining). There were more half court passes to beat the defense getting back than I have ever seen in a high school basketball game. Arlee has a solid 3 to 4 players that could play AA but then the talent starts to drop. Scobey was good, but some of his moves probably won’t translate to a higher level. How will his jump shot fade with a 6’4” athletic wingman guarding him? With that being said, Malatare can play! Easily a Frontier level guy. He can shoot, is quick, can handle the ball, has a great basketball IQ with a fiery will to win. He was ill last night and actually was vomiting during a timeout. He still dropped in 28 points, many which were in crucial situations. On one possession, he was pushing the ball down court, dribbled it off his leg at a high speed, and as it was heading out of bounds about 20 feet away, he was able to run it down and while going out of bounds, he cradled the ball and called a timeout. One of the best mental plays I have ever seen in high school. A couple of his moves (especially the spin moves) left me in awe. I did not see the athleticism that we look for in D1 players like Tres Tinkle, but that doesn’t mean that it doesn’t exist. If I was Fish, I would get him to a camp and see what he can do against some higher level guys.
I heard he was a beast at Griz camps last summer! I know he has at least a walk on offer with the griz !

Yeah he worked out with Griz and apparently has a walk on offer. Eastern has apparently had some interest. I suspect we will be playing against the kid someday.

The kid plays bigger than his 6'. Will make the same move against the 6'6" folks. Quickness is exceptional. I havent seen a game where he gets less than three steals and if he doesnt get the steal he is disruptive. If you noticed, teams started to move away from him bringing the ball up the court. Outstanding vision and situational awareness on the floor which you need to see in person to appreciate. Stops on a dime to shoot the jumper...one of best I have seen at this....full speed drive to an instant stop and shot with everyone else falling away. Can shoot the 3 ball but often prefers to make a move to collapse the floor and feed back out to the other 3 ball shooters on Arlee. Outstanding work ethic for a high school kid. Another poster on thread said he is a walking quadruple double and I concur

Folks tend to discount the Class C kids but two years ago I went to the all classes all star game in Havre. The C kids beat the B,A,AA teams on the first round. And beat the B,A squads on second round with a loss to the AA group. I did not see it but I understand Malatare and Bellach played all star together last year and were outstanding.

I told Fish the kid would make Lasse look silly. He is type of kids whose teamwork and assists lifts the rest of the team.
You make an excellent point in your last two paragraphs. I remember when Montana had the Big 32 AND I remember why it was broken up. The "big" schools were tired of getting their asses kicked by the little schools. In fact, Libby, Laurel and Wolf Point won it--even dominated during conference play so the big towns went strictly Double A. The Meet of Champions was all about going and watching the B and C kids run away from the "big city" kids. They don't want to compete with the country kids because they know they'll be outworked and whipped.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:33 pm

PapaG wrote:You want the Frontier Conferece All-Stars to compete in the Big Sky? It would be interesting, sure, but I don't find anything "fun" or "exciting" about watching MSU get their heads kicked in winning maybe 5 total games, conference and OOC combined, each season.
This is where we're at right now. I truly believe this team would struggle and probably lose to Carroll College.
https://twitter.com/pschweds/status/970696439159455745

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:25 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
PapaG wrote:You want the Frontier Conferece All-Stars to compete in the Big Sky? It would be interesting, sure, but I don't find anything "fun" or "exciting" about watching MSU get their heads kicked in winning maybe 5 total games, conference and OOC combined, each season.
This is where we're at right now. I truly believe this team would struggle and probably lose to Carroll College.
https://twitter.com/pschweds/status/970696439159455745
I don't know if you were in Montana yet when Mike Harkins was coaching Eastern. The Cats would play them and not do very well. The Griz wouldn't play them. Other than a few great Cat players from the 50s and 60s teams, I liked that Harkins filled his teams with kids from all over not just Montana. He took Eastern to the National Tournament 10 of the 12 years he coached if my memory is correct. One of my favorite players to watch was a kid named Kaz. His son was a decent football player for the Cats.

GRIZFNZ

Post by GRIZFNZ » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:33 pm

PapaG wrote:

Talent, most MT kids play 2 or 3 other sports, and a lack experience playing against D1 size when it is basketball season. I know first-hand and I played at the top level of Montana basketball, as I posted my thoughts on it earlier in this thread.

Are there posters here who think both DeCuire and Fish are intentionally not offering MT kids that would make their teams better solely because those players are from Montana? I disregard anything Cat Grad posts as kooky, but a few others seem to be following that path and quite simply it isn't the case. We have video in this thread of a 5'10" Class C PG with a routine spin move finishing a layup 2' under the rim and people think that's a D1 player that is going to improve either the Cats or the Griz. I could dunk and so could half of my HS team and none of us were athletic enough or had the size for anything above NAIA, which 3 of our AA team eventually played and two of those went to a JC first.
Who from the 89 team played JC ball? I know Travis played at Linfield for a year. Maybe Wyatt before playing at Western for a bit? I thought Robb D played football and never heard where John K ended up after high school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:42 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
This thread has officially jumped the shark.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:50 pm

PapaG wrote:

I thought you said you played AA? Some are advocating getting the best Montana kids.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:00 pm

GRIZFNZ wrote:
PapaG wrote:

Who from the 89 team played JC ball? I know Travis played at Linfield for a year. Maybe Wyatt before playing at Western for a bit? I thought Robb D played football and never heard where John K ended up after high school.

Steve Pearson went JC or he walked on at EMC. I can't remember since he was a year behind. He's no longer with us, by the way, and neither is Brian Markuson, and neither is Dundas. 3/5 of that starting 5 for the 89-90 team are all dead, and Robb was what, over 20 years ago now?

Jon K was my roommate at MSU for two years, did some track for the Bobcats, and lives in PHX now. He kind of screwed up his knee Jr. year basketball and was never the same in terms of lateral quickness. I see him every other year or so when I head out for some sun and golf in the desert.
Last edited by PapaG on Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:04 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
I thought you said you played AA? Some are advocating getting the best Montana kids.
My only point is that if there is instate talent that can compete at the Big Sky level, they would on the rosters and be recruited. I think the case can be made that football recruits are underutilized in MT simply because while a "team" sport, football has many different positions and require much more scouting to evaluate a prospect, which is why it seems it's yearly the Cats and Griz get Montana kids who were never offered scholarships, or offered partials, become All-Conference players. Who is the last Montana HS player to make Big Sky All-Conference? I honestly don't know, but it's not like Montana players haven't played for UM and MSU.

What a ride

GRIZFNZ

Post by GRIZFNZ » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:21 pm

PapaG wrote:
GRIZFNZ wrote:
PapaG wrote:

Steve Pearson went JC or he walked on at EMC. I can't remember since he was a year behind. He's no longer with us, by the way, and neither is Brian Markuson, and neither is Dundas. 3/5 of that starting 5 for the 89-90 team are all dead, and Robb was what, over 20 years ago now?

Jon K was my roommate at MSU for two years, did some track for the Bobcats, and lives in PHX now. He kind of screwed up his knee Jr. year basketball and was never the same in terms of lateral quickness. I see him every other year or so when I head out for some sun and golf in the desert.
3/5’s is sad and very much like the tribal teams from back in our days.
I played in the Phoenix BCI tournament with John and Travis summer of 88. Travis ended up at Tech after Linfield and we played many leagues and tournaments together. Think I may have met Markuson at 87 MSU camp when hanging out with Travis, Todd Dundas and Peckovich. Robb I met at MSU camp in 88, May have met you as well. I knew Steve very well as he grew up in Deer Lodge a year behind me but left for Billings after 8th grade. I thought he played football at Rocky. How did they all pass away?

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:13 pm

PapaG wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
My only point is that if there is instate talent that can compete at the Big Sky level, they would on the rosters and be recruited. I think the case can be made that football recruits are underutilized in MT simply because while a "team" sport, football has many different positions and require much more scouting to evaluate a prospect, which is why it seems it's yearly the Cats and Griz get Montana kids who were never offered scholarships, or offered partials, become All-Conference players. Who is the last Montana HS player to make Big Sky All-Conference? I honestly don't know, but it's not like Montana players haven't played for UM and MSU.
In the 90s, the Air Force Academy had a great run of successful teams and I vividly recall the head coach of the staff I was on brought their roster to our Sunday Film Session. Eight Montana kids who did not play high school football were on that team. We have many kids in this state who can play. That's why I love seeing a school like Harvard come to a tiny little town like Troy and give a full scholarship to a track athlete and neither of our schools knew a thing about him.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:40 pm

phantom wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
This thread has officially jumped the shark.
Why? You don't think this MSU basketball team would struggle and possibly lose to a 26-5 Carroll Saints team? Look at the scores between common opponents. There's quite a few and they indicate a very competitive match up. On a neutral court I think Carroll would win.