Men's 2018 Basketball Recruiting

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Men's 2018 Basketball Recruiting

Post by mslacat » Tue May 08, 2018 4:33 pm

Bobcats have offered 6-8 230 lb Jesse Barnes from Otero JC (29-5) (I believe this is where asst Coach Haslam coached before joining the Bobcats). Barnes averaged 5.9 points, 4.8 rebounds while shooting 61.8% from the field while starting 16 of the 20 games he played in. He is originally from Skidegate, Canada. He holds offers from Montana State and U of Detroit.

My gut tells me this guy will be a Bobcat.

Here is some video on him.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed May 09, 2018 9:26 am

I am still curious, though, how may big men is Fish looking to sign this spring. If we were to sign Barnes (big if) that would fill our scholarships on paper. That said I was under the impression one of our returning players was looking to move on and Colter also reported that he knew of a player who might not be returning. That said, though, in all of his reporting for the Bozo Chronicle Paul Schwedelson Fish will only sign 3 players this spring (Ricketts, Daniels and a Big man) and I get the feeling that this is coming from questions asked of Fish directly.

I also wonder if the player Colter was refering to was Klines, who did though his name into the NBA pool. Klines though is not the name I have heard bantered about.

Now that school is done for the year, if we do not get any word about another transfer in the next two week, I am thinking Paul Schwedelson has a better idea of what is really going on than myself and Colter.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu May 10, 2018 9:57 pm

Jesse Barnes' (mentioned above) recruitment is taking off a little one more D-1 offer and other showing interest.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue May 15, 2018 2:09 pm

mslacat wrote:Jesse Barnes' (mentioned above) recruitment is taking off a little one more D-1 offer and other showing interest.
Jesse Barnes is in for an official visit today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Tue May 15, 2018 6:09 pm

mslacat wrote:
mslacat wrote:Jesse Barnes' (mentioned above) recruitment is taking off a little one more D-1 offer and other showing interest.
Jesse Barnes is in for an official visit today

He couldn't of came to Bozeman on a nicer day.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Fri May 18, 2018 3:10 pm

Well I just realized the spring signing period ended last Wednesday. Players who want play for MSU for next year, can still sign a letter of aid with MSU, but not a Letter of Intent (LOI). A letter of aid is less restrictive for the player than a LOI and actually favors the players in some ways. The only player I know MSU is still waiting to hear from is 6-8 C/F Jesse Barnes who visited earlier this week. Last I heard he has at least a couple offeres from other D-1 schools on the table, and I believe MSU was his first visit, so we will have to wait to see if he chooses to take all his visits before committing somewhere.

duelalumnicat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by duelalumnicat » Tue May 22, 2018 9:21 am

If Jesse Barnes does not sign with the Cats, are there any other big men in the picture?

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue May 22, 2018 9:47 am

I don't have a lot after Barnes but my list but by no means should my list be considered to be all knowing. Dedoch Chan (one of my favorites is still on the board but I really get the feeling he will stay at the JC level for his Sophomore season in hopes of getting a "bigger offer". There is also a prep school (5th year high school student) who I heard months ago we were interested, but I think he will have to go the JC route.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Fri May 25, 2018 10:51 am

The end of the Spring signing period was May 16th, but as I said before that date is not all that important because programs can still sign players after that date, just not to an official LOI. Here he tough is a date that could mean something. Three weeks from now on or about June 15th the players will report back to campus for summer classes and basketball camp. The coaches are going to want to get their new players on campus to play and get to know the returnees. If we don't have someone signed by then I doubt it will happen or if we do sign a big man after that date he is not going to be the impact player we hoped for.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Fri May 25, 2018 11:12 am

mslacat wrote:The end of the Spring signing period was May 16th, but as I said before that date is not all that important because programs can still sign players after that date, just not to an official LOI. Here he tough is a date that could mean something. Three weeks from now on or about June 15th the players will report back to campus for summer classes and basketball camp. The coaches are going to want to get their new players on campus to play and get to know the returnees. If we don't have someone signed by then I doubt it will happen or if we do sign a big man after that date he is not going to be the impact player we hoped for.
I'd say that we are already at the point where "he is not going to be the impact player we hoped for".

But yes, I agree with the point you are making.

GrizgradCatFan

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Wed May 30, 2018 9:48 am

Any word on this kid? Or any else. I mean with the draft option ending soon any chance of a drop down wanting to be a big fish in small pond?

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed May 30, 2018 9:53 am

No word what so ever! No indication from him or his coach that he has visited anywhere else. If Hall and or Klines decide not to return we could be real thin on the bench next year.

On a positive note I have heard some good things about Kirby's progress over his redshirt year. Put 10-15 lbs in muscle on and has gotten more aggressive offensively.

GrizgradCatFan

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Wed May 30, 2018 2:56 pm

Kirby will need 30 to 40lbs to be a force in this league. Seems like a great kid, but I just don't see the intensity in a big tall athletic guy that he will need to be. He also is too eager to give the ball up instead of drop stepping to the hoop and going up. We will see and I hope I am wrong or it could be a long season.

mslacat wrote:No word what so ever! No indication from him or his coach that he has visited anywhere else. If Hall and or Klines decide not to return we could be real thin on the bench next year.

On a positive note I have heard some good things about Kirby's progress over his redshirt year. Put 10-15 lbs in muscle on and has gotten more aggressive offensively.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed May 30, 2018 3:13 pm

GrizgradCatFan wrote:Kirby will need 30 to 40lbs to be a force in this league. Seems like a great kid, but I just don't see the intensity in a big tall athletic guy that he will need to be. He also is too eager to give the ball up instead of drop stepping to the hoop and going up. We will see and I hope I am wrong or it could be a long season.

mslacat wrote:No word what so ever! No indication from him or his coach that he has visited anywhere else. If Hall and or Klines decide not to return we could be real thin on the bench next year.

You're basing this from his true frosh season?
With his past serious leg injuries, I don't think it would be smart to put him on a football O-line diet. He'll gain weight and strength gradually each year.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed May 30, 2018 3:15 pm

GrizgradCatFan wrote:Kirby will need 30 to 40lbs to be a force in this league. Seems like a great kid, but I just don't see the intensity in a big tall athletic guy that he will need to be. He also is too eager to give the ball up instead of drop stepping to the hoop and going up. We will see and I hope I am wrong or it could be a long season.

Suppose you’re right Al Beye was worthless in the Big Sky

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu May 31, 2018 2:50 pm

https://twitter.com/pschweds/status/1002284184113573888

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu May 31, 2018 4:44 pm

here is some video on our new center

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Thu May 31, 2018 5:18 pm

Welcome to the Bobcat Family Max!!!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu May 31, 2018 5:25 pm

https://twitter.com/pschweds/status/1002292616589922307

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Thu May 31, 2018 6:08 pm

Hawks86 wrote:https://twitter.com/pschweds/status/1002292616589922307
Interesting comment. Let’s see what happens.