Men's 2018 Basketball Recruiting

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Men's 2018 Basketball Recruiting

Post by mslacat » Thu May 31, 2018 7:02 pm

In reponce to Fish's comments above. He believe he is absolutely correct about the changing landscape of NCAA spring/summer basketball recruiting. I think, though, it is still a very competitive recruiting market right now for the remaining players. That said I will address this the same way I will address the upcoming season. GET IT DONE.

duelalumnicat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by duelalumnicat » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:40 am

Mslacat, do you have any additional information regarding Max Schuecker?

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:56 am

I looked him up on the internet last night and it was real hard to get a lot of information on him. The most relevant information I thought was the video I posted here and on twitter last night. This is what I do know. He is older than most freshman, 20 year old as of right now. He has been playing the last 2-3 year on a "Pro" team as an amateur, so he has been playing against guys who are between the age of 19 and mid thirties. This means he will be adjusted to playing against bigger stronger players which should help his adjustment to the NCAA game although I suspect, though, he will still need some time to adjust to the speed of the game. It appears he has been a bench player for his team the past three year. Can not be too sure of his stats but based on what I saw, he appears to average about 16 minutes a game maybe something like 6-8 point and 4-6 rebounds a game. Unlike the reputation most European big men have it does not appear he is a deep perimeter shooter. He is a low post guy out to about 15 feet shooting wise. He is more of a banger and appears to be about 215-220 lbs but has a frame that should allow him to put more muscle. It appears he had a few D-1 offers but I have not been able to find out yet who they were.

dayday
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by dayday » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:26 am

mslacat wrote:I looked him up on the internet last night and it was real hard to get a lot of information on him. The most relevant information I thought was the video I posted here and on twitter last night. This is what I do know. He is older than most freshman, 20 year old as of right now. He has been playing the last 2-3 year on a "Pro" team as an amateur, so he has been playing against guys who are between the age of 19 and mid thirties. This means he will be adjusted to playing against bigger stronger players which should help his adjustment to the NCAA game although I suspect, though, he will still need some time to adjust to the speed of the game. It appears he has been a bench player for his team the past three year. Can not be too sure of his stats but based on what I saw, he appears to average about 16 minutes a game maybe something like 6-8 point and 4-6 rebounds a game. Unlike the reputation most European big men have it does not appear he is a deep perimeter shooter. He is a low post guy out to about 15 feet shooting wise. He is more of a banger and appears to be about 215-220 lbs but has a frame that should allow him to put more muscle. It appears he had a few D-1 offers but I have not been able to find out yet who they were.
He’s about the only true post player on the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:29 am

dayday wrote:
mslacat wrote:I looked him up on the internet last night and it was real hard to get a lot of information on him. The most relevant information I thought was the video I posted here and on twitter last night. This is what I do know. He is older than most freshman, 20 year old as of right now. He has been playing the last 2-3 year on a "Pro" team as an amateur, so he has been playing against guys who are between the age of 19 and mid thirties. This means he will be adjusted to playing against bigger stronger players which should help his adjustment to the NCAA game although I suspect, though, he will still need some time to adjust to the speed of the game. It appears he has been a bench player for his team the past three year. Can not be too sure of his stats but based on what I saw, he appears to average about 16 minutes a game maybe something like 6-8 point and 4-6 rebounds a game. Unlike the reputation most European big men have it does not appear he is a deep perimeter shooter. He is a low post guy out to about 15 feet shooting wise. He is more of a banger and appears to be about 215-220 lbs but has a frame that should allow him to put more muscle. It appears he had a few D-1 offers but I have not been able to find out yet who they were.

He and Kirby

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:32 am

After yesterday’s announcements it was stated we have one scholarship left to offer. I am still betting we will have one more scholarship open up. Giving us room to sign 2 mote players

GrizgradCatFan

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:35 pm

mslacat wrote:After yesterday’s announcements it was stated we have one scholarship left to offer. I am still betting we will have one more scholarship open up. Giving us room to sign 2 mote players

Who ya think Nikki?

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:45 pm

dayday wrote:
mslacat wrote:I looked him up on the internet last night and it was real hard to get a lot of information on him. The most relevant information I thought was the video I posted here and on twitter last night. This is what I do know. He is older than most freshman, 20 year old as of right now. He has been playing the last 2-3 year on a "Pro" team as an amateur, so he has been playing against guys who are between the age of 19 and mid thirties. This means he will be adjusted to playing against bigger stronger players which should help his adjustment to the NCAA game although I suspect, though, he will still need some time to adjust to the speed of the game. It appears he has been a bench player for his team the past three year. Can not be too sure of his stats but based on what I saw, he appears to average about 16 minutes a game maybe something like 6-8 point and 4-6 rebounds a game. Unlike the reputation most European big men have it does not appear he is a deep perimeter shooter. He is a low post guy out to about 15 feet shooting wise. He is more of a banger and appears to be about 215-220 lbs but has a frame that should allow him to put more muscle. It appearsz he had a few D-1 offers but I have not been able to find out yet who they were.
Well....we know he can dunk if he gets the ball next to the basket!

2024 Resume dominance

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:18 am

Helcat72 wrote:
dayday wrote:
mslacat wrote:I looked him up on the internet last night and it was real hard to get a lot of information on him. The most relevant information I thought was the video I posted here and on twitter last night. This is what I do know. He is older than most freshman, 20 year old as of right now. He has been playing the last 2-3 year on a "Pro" team as an amateur, so he has been playing against guys who are between the age of 19 and mid thirties. This means he will be adjusted to playing against bigger stronger players which should help his adjustment to the NCAA game although I suspect, though, he will still need some time to adjust to the speed of the game. It appears he has been a bench player for his team the past three year. Can not be too sure of his stats but based on what I saw, he appears to average about 16 minutes a game maybe something like 6-8 point and 4-6 rebounds a game. Unlike the reputation most European big men have it does not appear he is a deep perimeter shooter. He is a low post guy out to about 15 feet shooting wise. He is more of a banger and appears to be about 215-220 lbs but has a frame that should allow him to put more muscle. It appearsz he had a few D-1 offers but I have not been able to find out yet who they were.
Well....we know he can dunk if he gets the ball next to the basket!
Welllllll he has a nice little hook kind of shot

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:34 am

At least he got a body. I was appalled that he couldn't even fill one seat with a presentable big man. Just need someone that can slow people down at the rim and get some offensive rebounds and we would look so much better as a team.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:15 pm

technoCat wrote:At least he got a body. I was appalled that he couldn't even fill one seat with a presentable big man. Just need someone that can slow people down at the rim and get some offensive rebounds and we would look so much better as a team.
I think we're OK defensively, what we need is some kind of offensive threat to free up our shooters!

2024 Resume dominance

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:43 pm

I tweeted this the other day but 6-10 C Ethan Steinbronn from Little Priest Tribal College JC who the Bobcats were recruiting before he signed with Little Rock University has asked for a release from his LOI and could be on the market again. I believe Steinbronn was down MSU's list (as well as a few other schools) a few notches when Little Rock asked him in for a visit and offered him. I think as it now stands he would be at the top of MSU's list if he was still available. No word on if they will grant him a release or idf the Bobcats would be interested. Steinbronn averaged 16.1 points, 8.7 rebounds, 2 blocks and shot 52.9% from the field, 28.2% from 3 point range and 72.4% from the free-throw line. Little Priest was 14-17 last season.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:27 pm

mslacat wrote:I tweeted this the other day but 6-10 C Ethan Steinbronn from Little Priest Tribal College JC who the Bobcats were recruiting before he signed with Little Rock University has asked for a release from his LOI and could be on the market again. I believe Steinbronn was down MSU's list (as well as a few other schools) a few notches when Little Rock asked him in for a visit and offered him. I think as it now stands he would be at the top of MSU's list if he was still available. No word on if they will grant him a release or idf the Bobcats would be interested. Steinbronn averaged 16.1 points, 8.7 rebounds, 2 blocks and shot 52.9% from the field, 28.2% from 3 point range and 72.4% from the free-throw line. Little Priest was 14-17 last season.
Interesting...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:15 am

mslacat wrote:I tweeted this the other day but 6-10 C Ethan Steinbronn from Little Priest Tribal College JC who the Bobcats were recruiting before he signed with Little Rock University has asked for a release from his LOI and could be on the market again. I believe Steinbronn was down MSU's list (as well as a few other schools) a few notches when Little Rock asked him in for a visit and offered him. I think as it now stands he would be at the top of MSU's list if he was still available. No word on if they will grant him a release or idf the Bobcats would be interested. Steinbronn averaged 16.1 points, 8.7 rebounds, 2 blocks and shot 52.9% from the field, 28.2% from 3 point range and 72.4% from the free-throw line. Little Priest was 14-17 last season.
Any idea why he has asked for his release?

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:05 am

phantom wrote:
Any idea why he has asked for his release?
No firm Idea but thay have been under going a lot of coaching changes at Little Rock, but I thought the new head coach was chosen before he signed.

GrizgradCatFan

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:38 pm

Everybody is thinking the same thing, but not sure how ethical that is by a coach to poach anothers player, but hey we need a big guy with some weight and this guy would fit the bill. Plus he looks like he can post up and has a few moves. Biggest issue is can he guard any of the fizz bigs without fouling out in the first 5 minutes of the game.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:17 pm

GrizgradCatFan wrote:Everybody is thinking the same thing, but not sure how ethical that is by a coach to poach anothers player, but hey we need a big guy with some weight and this guy would fit the bill. Plus he looks like he can post up and has a few moves. Biggest issue is can he guard any of the fizz bigs without fouling out in the first 5 minutes of the game.
Let me make the following things clear:
1 I do not know if the MSU Coaches would be interested if he did become eligible.
2 I do not know if Little Rock has or if they will grant him a release. I have only read where he has asked for a release.
3 It would be a major NCAA violation if ANY D-1 or D-2 school/coaches/or even boosters contact him about about anything that could be construed in any form or fashion as recruiting.
4 Coach Fish is a stickler for NCAA rules, he would not go any where near a situation that could possibly be a NCAA rules violation.

My point is and always has been if Steinbronn does indeed want a release and if he is granted a release would the MSU coaches be interested? Keep in mind, if he does go on the market again at this late date I would imagine a lot of school who may not have landed their big man yet would be VERY tempted to take a serious look at a 6-10 guy who avg 16pts 9 rebs per game.

GrizgradCatFan

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:23 pm

Know I agree I bet he would have a lot of offers at this time from schools trying to fill any vacancy at this time. I am not saying Fish or anyone would contact him, but I am sure he follows MSU and now knows with Tyler back we stand a fighting chance every game this season. Should be interesting especially if we have two schollies open.

mslacat wrote:
GrizgradCatFan wrote:Everybody is thinking the same thing, but not sure how ethical that is by a coach to poach anothers player, but hey we need a big guy with some weight and this guy would fit the bill. Plus he looks like he can post up and has a few moves. Biggest issue is can he guard any of the fizz bigs without fouling out in the first 5 minutes of the game.
Let me make the following things clear:
1 I do not know if the MSU Coaches would be interested if he did become eligible.
2 I do not know if Little Rock has or if they will grant him a release. I have only read where he has asked for a release.
3 It would be a major NCAA violation if ANY D-1 or D-2 school/coaches/or even boosters contact him about about anything that could be construed in any form or fashion as recruiting.
4 Coach Fish is a stickler for NCAA rules, he would not go any where near a situation that could possibly be a NCAA rules violation.

My point is and always has been if Steinbronn does indeed want a release and if he is granted a release would the MSU coaches be interested? Keep in mind, if he does go on the market again at this late date I would imagine a lot of school who may not have landed their big man yet would be VERY tempted to take a serious look at a 6-10 guy who avg 16pts 9 rebs per game.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:48 am

Little Rumor update: This should truly be considered in the realm of rumor as it come to from someone who heard it from someone else. Jesse Barnes a 6-8 PF/C who was took an official visit to MSU 3-4 weeks ago but nothing seem to has resulted from the visit. The assumption has been that he was not fully enamored enough with MSU to commit at the time or since. My scuttlebutt/rumor is actually that Fish and/or his coaches were not impressed enough with him and on the trip that they pulled the offer. They felt he did not add anything to the program that we did not already have. Again rumor.

BTW Barnes still has not signed with anyone as of yet. Not sure he has taken any other visits. It sounds like a bunch of Canadian schools (he hails from Canada) are showing a lot of interest now though.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:59 am

Pssst .... don't tell any body I said this but the Griz have and are putting together another outstanding recruiting class! The only thing missing is a Tyler Hall caliber player. WE are F*@^ed for a while.