Men's 2018 Basketball Recruiting

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Men's 2018 Basketball Recruiting

Post by mslacat » Wed May 02, 2018 7:54 am

GrizgradCatFan wrote:Which two bigs are you referring about that are left?
Based on what I heard yesterday we are probably done to 1. It appears 6-7 or 6-8 f/c Dedoch Chan (one of my favorites all along) just finished finished his Freshman year at Mississippi Gulf Coast JC but was a NCAA qualifier (meaning he could go D-1 after his Freshman year) is most likely going to remain at MGC and try to improve his recruiting status. That leaves 6-10 Anand Hundal Las Positas Junior College in California. He visited 3 or so weeks back. My gut tells me Pacific might be in the drivers seat for his services.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed May 02, 2018 11:05 am

Geting some indications that the Bobcat coaches are reaching out to more JC bigs. BelgradeCat may have a field day when he see's their stats.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed May 02, 2018 1:06 pm

mslacat wrote:Geting some indications that the Bobcat coaches are reaching out to more JC bigs. BelgradeCat may have a field day when he see's their stats.
What happened to the big kid from Iowa?
A big who can play defense and rebound but doesn't score much is probably okay. He'll help get us to an upper half league finish and an almost win in the Big Sky tournament.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed May 02, 2018 3:05 pm

There were two:

Ethan Steinbronn a 6-10 center from Little Priest Tribal College Jc (originally from Maynard, IA West Central High School signed with Little Rock Ark.
In Late March he was complaining on Twitter that all his colleges had him as their back-up plan and it sounded like he stressing quite a bit. Little Rock had him in for a visit, he committed while at Little Rock. I do not believe he visited MSU

Amel Kuljuhovic a 6-10 center from Lake Land College in Iowa and went to high school at Waterloo West High School in Iowa, visited Bozeman late Friday and Saturday after visiting Cal St Fullerton Wednesday-Thursday. He committed to Cal St Fullerton on Monday and signed yesterday.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Fri May 04, 2018 2:05 pm

Just FYI 6-10 Anand Hundal from Las Positas Junior College in California is still in play. I heard he took an official to Seattle Wednesday is back today. He has taken visits to Canisius, MSU and Seattle so far. He seems to be on a slow cook in making his decision. I had thought when Pacific offered that they would be the favorite because of their proximity to his home town but as of yet he has not taken a trip there.

autocat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by autocat » Fri May 04, 2018 5:16 pm

Thanks for all the updates MSLACAT

GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Sat May 05, 2018 10:48 am

Hopefully we find a big guy. Any leads on any euro big guys or any drop downs Fish maybe working on yet? I was excited about Chan as he looked like a promising guard/post player and wondering if he knew if Tyler would be back that he would change his mind and make the move. I guess we will know with Tyler in the next few weeks and I am wondering if that will help maybe bring a big guy. Also any word from Colter yet on who the other person leaving is yet? I mean school is out for the most part so why not let us know who else is taking off.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Sat May 05, 2018 12:49 pm

Have another name for you. I know the coaches have been looking at him but I do not know how how seriously. Harvey Barr a 7-0 center from Lake Region State in North Dakota. Averaged 6.8 points and 9 rebounds in 20 minutes a game. He shot 50.6% from the field and did not take a 3 point shot. He is originally from Southhampton in the UK.

As far as players not returning. Now that school has been completed expect any announcements of players not returning to happen soon.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat May 05, 2018 1:44 pm

There's gotta be another Greg Walters out there somewhere. Must keep the faith! :!: :wink:

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Sat May 05, 2018 9:39 pm

mslacat wrote:Just FYI 6-10 Anand Hundal from Las Positas Junior College in California is still in play. I heard he took an official to Seattle Wednesday is back today. He has taken visits to Canisius, MSU and Seattle so far. He seems to be on a slow cook in making his decision. I had thought when Pacific offered that they would be the favorite because of their proximity to his home town but as of yet he has not taken a trip there.
Hundal committed to Seattle this evening

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Sun May 06, 2018 5:43 am

Let's just go with an all guard line-up. Have 12 real quick, fast guys. Final score will always be 140-130. Or we could go all Indian players and out run everyone. We would be the best conditioned team in the BSC.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon May 07, 2018 12:44 pm

gtapp wrote:Let's just go with an all guard line-up. Have 12 real quick, fast guys. Final score will always be 140-130. Or we could go all Indian players and out run everyone. We would be the best conditioned team in the BSC.
Ha. sometimes I wonder if that is what fish is actually trying to do. Who cares about interior defense, we will just try to outscore them..................... unfortunately, last year there were more games than not where we could not defend OR score.... so it didn't really work. :lol: ](*,)

The fact that Sam Newman continues to be our best option at center is beyond laughable.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon May 07, 2018 1:37 pm

I am not sure I would say laughable, I think Sam shifting to the 4 spot would be advantageous at times with his shooting range. Given out recent lack of success on the recruiting trail made me think, may be Kirby has made good sue of his redshirt year and is ready to be a force for the Bobcats? :^o

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon May 07, 2018 10:22 pm

Kirby better be ready because we will need him. And maybe most importantly, he better know how to stay out of foul trouble-which he couldn't do as a freshman trying to play Fish's defense.
We graduated every other tallish player we had with the exception of Blevins. So not only do we lack height, but we totally lack depth. We have no fouls to give. I don't think Ricketts is built to venture inside the three point line. Heck, Klines might have to play spot duty at the 4 the way we're going. We don't just need a big man, we need several.
The 2018-19 season is looking really scary to me.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Mon May 07, 2018 11:35 pm

Baring some miraculous change in fortune, this should be Fish's last year.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue May 08, 2018 9:14 am

Don't expect any news/signings for either Basketball program for the next week. I am not sure why the NCAA did this from the May 7th to 13th coaches are not allowed ANY contact with recruits including on site visits, letters, email, from or to absolute contact black-out during these dates. So recruiting does a 100% shut down for a week and then the coaches have to fire it up again before the end of the signing period on the 16th of May.

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Tue May 08, 2018 11:57 am

[quote="mslacat"]Don't expect any news/signings for either Basketball program for the next week. I am not sure why the NCAA did this from the May 7th to 13th coaches are not allowed ANY contact with recruits including on site visits, letters, email, from or to absolute contact black-out during these dates. So recruiting does a 100% shut down for a week and then the coaches have to fire it up again before the end of the signing period on the 16th]

The calendar I'm looking at says the dead time is May 17-25, 2018 which makes sense because it is after the end of the signing period.

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Tue May 08, 2018 11:58 am

phantom wrote:
mslacat wrote:Don't expect any news/signings for either Basketball program for the next week. I am not sure why the NCAA did this from the May 7th to 13th coaches are not allowed ANY contact with recruits including on site visits, letters, email, from or to absolute contact black-out during these dates. So recruiting does a 100% shut down for a week and then the coaches have to fire it up again before the end of the signing period on the 16th]
The calendar I'm looking at says the dead time is May 17-25, 2018 which makes sense because it is after the end of the signing period. http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files ... 170619.pdf

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue May 08, 2018 11:59 am

phantom wrote:
phantom wrote:
mslacat wrote:Don't expect any news/signings for either Basketball program for the next week. I am not sure why the NCAA did this from the May 7th to 13th coaches are not allowed ANY contact with recruits including on site visits, letters, email, from or to absolute contact black-out during these dates. So recruiting does a 100% shut down for a week and then the coaches have to fire it up again before the end of the signing period on the 16th]
The calendar I'm looking at says the dead time is May 17-25, 2018 which makes sense because it is after the end of the signing period. http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files ... 170619.pdf
I was just going to correct myself the "" recruiting shut down only affects women's basketball for some reason so the man can continue recruiting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue May 08, 2018 4:21 pm

mslacat wrote:
phantom wrote:
phantom wrote:
I was just going to correct myself the "" recruiting shut down only affects women's basketball for some reason so the man can continue recruiting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well that makes sense :crazy:

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic