Men's 2018 Basketball Recruiting

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Men's 2018 Basketball Recruiting

Post by thefrank1 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:14 pm

Is Tyler graduating this year and looking to go the grad transfer route?

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:09 pm

I would have no problem with a 6-8 JC player who only weighed 210 as long as he was athletic and quick. From watching the program for the past 3 1/2 years I do not think there is any chance a non-athletic and nor quick big man would get any playing time for Fish. I have said quite consistently over the past 2 years I would love to get an athletic 6-7 power forward in the system , much like Karl Nicholas of the Griz. If there is a true big man who would manage to garner minutes from Fish (short of a Pac-12 player) that would be the type. I want 3 or 4 true big man, and by that what I mean are players who have played the position consistently throughout their career and who instinctively know how to play against other big men/ post players. Converting a wing to a 4 spot may work occasionally but not consistently and when you have wings playing both the 4 and 5 spot game in and game out you better be a high scoring three point shooting team to have any chance of winning the majority of your games. I want 4's and 5's! I don't care if they are Durham 6-6 or 6-7 version of 4's and 5's just as long as they know how to play and defend the position. I think Wade can do that....... at least better than anyone we have right now!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:20 pm

thefrank1 wrote:Is Tyler graduating this year and looking to go the grad transfer route?
I doubt it, he's a true junior. Pretty tough to graduate in 3 years, especially for athletes since they don't have a lot of time for extra classes.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:49 pm

OK this should make some happy!!

The Bobcats have offered d 6-11 & 275LB (yes I said 275) Ethan Steinbronn from Little Priest Tribal College. He is averaging 16 points. 8.1 reboundss while shooting 53% from the field and 29% from three point range. He offers from Nichols State, Pittsburgh State, Clark Atlanta as well as Montana State. He transferred this year to Little Priest Tribal College from Upper Iowa.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:10 pm

Well now-that's intriguing. :-k

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:48 am

Bigger Bacon?

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:47 am

FYI: I think a 1 or 2 more JC big will be offered soon.

Aside from that, but assuming the coaches can find a JC big man that Fish will actually let on the court (and that is a big assumption) is signing ONE big man going to be enough to make a noticeable difference. With a JV big man that would give us a total of 2 true big men on the roster (the signie and Kirby). If we assume we will have 3 scholarships this spring, it appears the coaches are looking at a HS PG, JC Wing and a JC Big. For the 2018 recruiting class that would give us a class of 4-wings, 1 -PG and 1-PF. I think we need a PG, but would not it be better to forget about a 4th wing and get another big!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:13 pm

https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/status/974807191487049728 https://twitter.com/mslacat/status/975104362593710080 https://twitter.com/amel_kuljuhovic/status/966851468761485313

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:50 pm

https://twitter.com/RickettsLadan/status/973776634074378240

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:48 pm

mslacat wrote:FYI: I think a 1 or 2 more JC big will be offered soon.

Aside from that, but assuming the coaches can find a JC big man that Fish will actually let on the court (and that is a big assumption) is signing ONE big man going to be enough to make a noticeable difference. With a JV big man that would give us a total of 2 true big men on the roster (the signie and Kirby). If we assume we will have 3 scholarships this spring, it appears the coaches are looking at a HS PG, JC Wing and a JC Big. For the 2018 recruiting class that would give us a class of 4-wings, 1 -PG and 1-PF. I think we need a PG, but would not it be better to forget about a 4th wing and get another big!
I agree....a 6-8 or 9 PF if we get a center.

2024 Resume dominance

GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:59 pm

Are any of these big guys actually a possibility? Hopefully we can land one and then a decent 6-8 power forward would be great. Someone that can help out against a team like the Griz that could start two 6'10 or 7 footers. Fingers crossed!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:14 am

https://twitter.com/DChan0211/status/977016130165460992

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:08 pm

Truth be told, and I know I am sounding like a broken record, I would sacrifice a little hieght for athletisim. I am real leary of that any 6-10 or taller big man will be athletic enough to be able to run Fish's defensive scheme and get off the bench. If they were 6-10 and athletic they will be signing with Pac-10 schools. I would be happy with a pair of guys (again assuming Fish plans to sign 2 big men) 6-9 & 6-7 or even a pair of 6-8ish guys, as long as they were both real and true big men. A little muscle on their frames would also be nice.

On this topic

******* Rumor Alert********

I have heard that 6-10 JC center Ethan Steinbronn from Little Priest Tribal College JC (14-17) who the website Verbal Commits has reported was offered by MSU (Nichols State and a ton of D-2 have also offered), is on a holding pattern with the Bobcats. Again I have heard, he was told by MSU (and Nichols State) that he is their #2 target at center and will let him know after they get word from their #1. Rumor has it he would commit immediately to MSU (or Nichols State) otherwise. Steinbronn averaged 16 points 9 rebounds while shooting 53% from the field and 28% from 3 point range. Little Priest Tribal College is a smaller NJCAA D-2 in Maryland.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:17 pm

Hawks86 wrote:https://twitter.com/DChan0211/status/977016130165460992
Dedoch Chan is a 6-8 power forward from Mississippi Gulf Coast JC and averaged 17 points, 9 rebounds, 2 assists while shooting 47% from the feild and 31% from 3 point range. He is an NCAA qualifier, which means he can transfer now (he is a freshman) and have three years of eligibility remaining. His only two D-1 offered are McNeese St and Montana State as of right now.

He is originally from Rochester Minnesota and average 17 points 8 rebounds and 2 steals as a high school senior in 2016-17 season.

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:08 pm

mslacat wrote:Truth be told, and I know I am sounding like a broken record, I would sacrifice a little hieght for athletisim. I am real leary of that any 6-10 or taller big man will be athletic enough to be able to run Fish's defensive scheme and get off the bench. If they were 6-10 and athletic they will be signing with Pac-10 schools. I would be happy with a pair of guys (again assuming Fish plans to sign 2 big men) 6-9 & 6-7 or even a pair of 6-8ish guys, as long as they were both real and true big men. A little muscle on their frames would also be nice.

On this topic

I have heard that 6-10 JC center Ethan Steinbronn from Little Priest Tribal College JC (14-17) who the website Verbal Commits has reported was offered by MSU (Nichols State and a ton of D-2 have also offered), is on a holding pattern with the Bobcats. Again I have heard, he was told by MSU (and Nichols State) that he is their #2 target at center and will let him know after they get word from their #1. Rumor has it he would commit immediately to MSU (or Nichols State) otherwise. Steinbronn averaged 16 points 9 rebounds while shooting 53% from the field and 28% from 3 point range. Little Priest Tribal College is a smaller NJCAA D-2 in Maryland.
Not that it matters much, but Little Priest Tribal is in Nebraska. Plays in a very good NJCAA D2 Region XI with Kirkwood and Southwestern (who won the D2 National tournament last year and is in Final Four this year). Traditionally Little Priest has been horrendous, but this year they were a little better.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:17 pm

phantom wrote:
mslacat wrote:Truth be told, and I know I am sounding like a broken record, I would sacrifice a little hieght for athletisim. I am real leary of that any 6-10 or taller big man will be athletic enough to be able to run Fish's defensive scheme and get off the bench. If they were 6-10 and athletic they will be signing with Pac-10 schools. I would be happy with a pair of guys (again assuming Fish plans to sign 2 big men) 6-9 & 6-7 or even a pair of 6-8ish guys, as long as they were both real and true big men. A little muscle on their frames would also be nice.

On this topic

Not that it matters much, but Little Priest Tribal is in Nebraska. Plays in a very good NJCAA D2 Region XI with Kirkwood and Southwestern (who won the D2 National tournament last year and is in Final Four this year). Traditionally Little Priest has been horrendous, but this year they were a little better.
Thanks for the correction. Steinbronn is from Maryland, that is where I made my mistake. Funny thing is he played for an Iowa AAU team also, and played for Upper Iowa University (a d-2 school I believe) his freshman year, so he is very well traveled.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:43 pm

mslacat wrote:
phantom wrote:

On this topic

Thanks for the correction. Steinbronn is from Maryland, that is where I made my mistake. Funny thing is he played for an Iowa AAU team also, and played for Upper Iowa University (a d-2 school I believe) his freshman year, so he is very well traveled.

So Steinbronn and Chan could be an interesting duo. Some height/length. Maybe some athleticism. Will be interesting!!

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:11 pm

mslacat wrote:
phantom wrote:

On this topic

Here's an article. Seems like he might be from small town Iowa judging by this article from the Cedar Rapids newspaper. https://www.google.com/amp/www.thegazet ... te=amphtml

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:59 am

mslacat wrote:
phantom wrote:

On this topic

Looks like he's from Maynard (probably Iowa) not Maryland.

2024 Resume dominance

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:00 am

mslacat wrote:
phantom wrote:

On this topic

Looks like he's from Maynard (probably Nebraska or Iowa) not Maryland.

2024 Resume dominance