Nehme's possible other schools

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Nehme's possible other schools

Post by phantom » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:10 pm

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the 4 position isn't going to be a position of need next year for the Bobcats.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:02 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:Nehme is going to have a lovely time in Bozeman if he chooses another Big Sky school. I guarantee it. :twisted:
That's assuming the fans come back. As of last season Worthington Arena was slightly less intimidating than a My Little Pony convention.
I'd like to think that just the coaching change itself will be enough to breath some life back into the fan base, at least temporarily. It won't last long unless he produces better results than Huse did, but I think MSU fans are hungry for a reason to come back to The Brick, and the hope offered by a new coaching staff will provide that. That will only work for the first couple of years though. If we don't become more competitive on the court, the honeymoon won't last long. t will also be helpful if his teams play a little more exciting style of ball. The only thing worse then a losing team, is a boring, losing team.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:25 pm

DeJong will go down as a miss in the later years. I'm not a fan of passing up players with that much athleticism, especially when they have pretty good size too.

MSUcantouchus
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MSUcantouchus » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:10 pm

I talk with people all the time that want to root for a Montana boy on the Cats.

I hate dark pink

desmond1957
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by desmond1957 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:35 pm

"DEJONG IS THE MOST TALENTED MONTANA HIGH SCHOOL PLAYER I HAVE EVER SEEN"? You have GOT to be kidding! (Either that or you need to get out more!) That's why the griz gave him a walk-on!

MSUcantouchus

Post by MSUcantouchus » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:45 pm

I take it you haven't seen him lately. I stand by that comment 100%

I hate dark pink

DicTater

Post by DicTater » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:17 pm

I've never seen Nehme play, but it seems to me that perhaps he thought that his big senior year would lead to some big time offers. He probably got some bad advice. As I understand it, since he had signed a LOI, other schools couldn't contact him until he got released. He thought, or was led to believe, that once he got his release some bigger schools would come a'courtin'. However, it appears that it was pretty much Big sky schools that had any interest.

As to DeJong, I've never seen him play either. Obviously, I have no idea what communication there was between he and Fish. But, since Fish is planning to run a more wide open, speed offense and pressure defense, maybe DeJong didn't fit that style. Maybe he is more suited to the Huse snooze offense. I don't know, but maybe Fish just thought he probably didn't need a 6'6" power forward. I really kind of doubt that DeJong is more talented than Josh Heustis, though. I Don't know how long you've been watching high shool basketball MSUCantouchthis, but I've seen Ray Howard, Jack Gillespie, Ben DeMers, Craig Henkle, Larry Krystowiak, Krall and Shann Ferch, Danny Sprinkle, Finberg and Durham, Scott Hatler, and Bobby Howard all play. I'm thinking he might not be better than those guys.

MSUcantouchus

Post by MSUcantouchus » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:08 pm

Not the defender Josh was but his offensive game is way more polished.

I hate dark pink

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:02 am

DicTater wrote:I've never seen Nehme play, but it seems to me that perhaps he thought that his big senior year would lead to some big time offers. He probably got some bad advice. As I understand it, since he had signed a LOI, other schools couldn't contact him until he got released. He thought, or was led to believe, that once he got his release some bigger schools would come a'courtin'. However, it appears that it was pretty much Big sky schools that had any interest.

As to DeJong, I've never seen him play either. Obviously, I have no idea what communication there was between he and Fish. But, since Fish is planning to run a more wide open, speed offense and pressure defense, maybe DeJong didn't fit that style. Maybe he is more suited to the Huse snooze offense. I don't know, but maybe Fish just thought he probably didn't need a 6'6" power forward. I really kind of doubt that DeJong is more talented than Josh Heustis, though. I Don't know how long you've been watching high shool basketball MSUCantouchthis, but I've seen Ray Howard, Jack Gillespie, Ben DeMers, Craig Henkle, Larry Krystowiak, Krall and Shann Ferch, Danny Sprinkle, Finberg and Durham, Scott Hatler, and Bobby Howard all play. I'm thinking he might not be better than those guys.
Agreed. I've never seen DeJong, but I remember Danny Sprinkle a little, and there is no way you could convince me that all the Big Sky schools, and all the Pac-12 schools, missed somebody that was better than Josh Huestis. And as you said above Tater, I think Larry Krystowiak had a pretty decent career after leaving the state of Montana didn't he? Polished offensive game without great athleticism generally works ok for Montana kids in the big sky, but I'd be very surprised if this guy's career surpasses that of even a Bobby Howard, Mike Warhank, Scott Hatler type of career, much less enter the rarified air of those mentioned earlier.

Plainiac
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Plainiac » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:06 pm

Sour grapes make stinky jelly. You cat fans keep on whining and losing and us Griz fans will keep on laughing and winning. \:D/

MSUcantouchus

Post by MSUcantouchus » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:34 pm

I think he will be a good one, plus he is a Montanan right in our back yard, those type of kids are fun to root for. I just would like to cheer for him, in blue and gold. He may not turn out to be a all timer but he is D1 talent all the way. Keep in mind no one was seen him play in a year and he has grown several inches and added some heft to his frame. He is firmly under a lot of radars right now.

I hate dark pink

DicTater

Post by DicTater » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:28 am

MSUcantouchus wrote:I think he will be a good one, plus he is a Montanan right in our back yard, those type of kids are fun to root for. I just would like to cheer for him, in blue and gold. He may not turn out to be a all timer but he is D1 talent all the way. Keep in mind no one was seen him play in a year and he has grown several inches and added some heft to his frame. He is firmly under a lot of radars right now.
My post wasn't to imply that the kid can't play. I have no idea whether he can or not. However, I will be pulling for him no matter where he goes to school. I root for all Montana kids to do well, whether they're at MSU or um. Unlike a lot of people, I like to see kids do well, and, if they don't, I take no joy or satisfaction from that. So, I hope DeJong does well at um and becomes an all conference player. Just because I'll root for the Cats to win when they play, doesn't mean I am rooting against any player. Heck, I hope Brock Coyle and Jordan Tripp make it in the NFL. They're MT kids and they deserve respect for their achievements.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue May 13, 2014 5:09 pm

For those who are interested this what I hear. Right now the schools that he has at the top of his list are Boise State, UNC Wilmington, and Western Illinois but it more likely at this point he will do what is known as a reclassification and attend a prep school next season and become a member of the 2015 recruiting class and start his recruiting process all over again next fall. This is good news because I had heard Wayne Tinkle and Montana put on a full court press to sign him this spring when he became available and it became obvious that Tinkle was going to cut two underclassmen guards (one a starter off of last years team). My head would have exploded if he signed with the Griz.