MBB @ SacSate

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Re: MBB @ SacSate

Post by Helcat72 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:37 pm

Sam has become our best post defender and rebounder. He even hits 3's and gives us a sort of inside presence. Because of Walker's rebounding shortcomings and non ability to.play a lot of minutes...I think Lecolat , Ford and Goracki are our most valuable players.

2024 Resume dominance

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:47 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:37 pm
Sam has become our best post defender and rebounder. He even hits 3's and gives us a sort of inside presence. Because of Walker's rebounding shortcomings and non ability to.play a lot of minutes...I think Lecolat , Ford and Goracki are our most valuable players.
Agreed, but I would add Walker because of his fearless offense while matched against much taller opponents.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

Cats92
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Cats92 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:21 pm

PapaG wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:39 pm
Joe Bobcat wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:21 pm
PapaG wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:25 am
Cats92 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:59 am
PapaG wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:16 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:12 pm
High school talent wins again! Some interesting results tonight in the Big Sky, if PSU holds on against the Griz the Cats will be alone in 2nd place after tonight.
Ford/Walker/Goracke are plus players being put into positions to succeed by Logie. Guy can clearly coach and hopefully recruit.
I feel like the person who asks where the “Gris” thing came from with this question, but what’s the deal with people calling the Cats “High School players” where did that come from? I’ve seen it a few times and I feel out of the loop.
It’s an insult on their abilities to play D1 basketball. I’d never call them that but it seems some think it’s funny. This isn’t the most talented roster, losing who they did would typically cripple a program the next season, but putting players in a position to succeed is mostly what college hoops at mid- and low-majors is about and that’s what Logie is doing this season. This team right now would not lose to Rocky IMO. It takes time for things to gel and good coaches see their teams improve over a season. Dana Altman at Oregon is a great example of this type of coach who doesn’t typically have an elite talent yet puts players in the correct spots and they tend to peak later in the season.

I don’t think this teams can win the Big Sky tournament title based on their lack of size, it has to catch up with them over time, but they can put up a good fight against anyone in the conference.
The idea that, "This is high school talent" originated from a post by WYCAT who at that time seemed to be in a dark place and was unable to see that in fact this team does have D1 talent. It was insulting and quite inaccurate but to be fair he wasn't the only one who basically thought that.

Each time it's brought up now is kind of a way of throwing it back in the face of posters that were hyper critical of the players and hyper critical of coach Logie as well. It may still come across as an insult but each time this team goes out and exceeds expectations it serves as a reminder that whatever their talent level is and no matter who their up against this Bobcat team will punch above their weight.

Credit to coach Logie and his staff for coaching them up, improving their skills, and bringing them together as a cohesive team. Credit also to the players for taking to the coaching and playing with so much heart.

Edit to add: good post PapaG
I was hoping that was the case! Thanks for the clarification.
I feel that I’m back in the loop now. Thanks to all that contributed!

Desert_Bobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Desert_Bobcat » Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:49 pm

thefrank1 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:47 pm
Helcat72 wrote:
Agreed, but I would add Walker because of his fearless offense while matched against much taller opponents.
This isn’t meant to be a slight at Walker because he has proven to be valuable on offense. But would you honestly call a guy that can run up and down the court 2 or 3 times without walking valuable? He is a good offensive player but his stamina is nonexistent and should be his #1 priority in the offseason. You’re lucky to get 20 quality minutes out of him on a given night. We expect Ford, Patterson, Goracke, to put in 30-40 minutes a game without a dip in their production. Shouldn’t we be holding other players to the same standard when it comes to their effort on the court?

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:50 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
I'm watching the Sac State replay. The Hornets are really huge. Having Lecholat in there instead of going with two point guards keeps Gorake from having to guard a power forward-which usually gets him in foul trouble. The problem is Sam draws fouls like cows draw flies. Against ISU he fouled out. If he can consistently defend without fouling he can be a huge asset for our size challenged front line.

HighPlainsBobcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by HighPlainsBobcat » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:51 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:50 pm
Helcat72 wrote:
I'm watching the Sac State replay. The Hornets are really huge. Having Lecholat in there instead of going with two point guards keeps Gorake from having to guard a power forward-which usually gets him in foul trouble. The problem is Sam draws fouls like cows draw flies. Against ISU he fouled out. If he can consistently defend without fouling he can be a huge asset for our size challenged front line.
A bulk of BCN is just now finding out how valuable #25 is to the team! He does the intangibles well, isn’t afraid to get dirty and really muck things up underneath. Even when out sized! Sam isn’t the only one that’s routinely in foul trouble game in game out. Walker, Chicka, Gorake, ET3, and even RF3 have found themselves in plenty of foul trouble.

As Desert pointed out, Walker continues to get gassed early and often. The upside is he seems to score early and often allowing Sam to enter stage left and do his thing. His confidence is growing. His abilities, as Belgrade has astutely pointed out, allows Gorake more freedom. Starting Sam instead of ET3 could make a lot of sense.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:17 pm

Desert_Bobcat wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:49 pm
thefrank1 wrote:
Helcat72 wrote:
This isn’t meant to be a slight at Walker because he has proven to be valuable on offense. But would you honestly call a guy that can run up and down the court 2 or 3 times without walking valuable? He is a good offensive player but his stamina is nonexistent and should be his #1 priority in the offseason. You’re lucky to get 20 quality minutes out of him on a given night. We expect Ford, Patterson, Goracke, to put in 30-40 minutes a game without a dip in their production. Shouldn’t we be holding other players to the same standard when it comes to their effort on the court?
Ideally you’d want all of your players to be in elite cardio shape but with his build, I don’t see how Walker can be expected to be a sprinter. Larger guys that run the floor are kind of anomalies in the basketball world, and those like Barkley that were true runners didn’t play much on the defensive end.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Desert_Bobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Desert_Bobcat » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:49 pm

PapaG wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:17 pm
Desert_Bobcat wrote:
thefrank1 wrote:
Helcat72 wrote:
Ideally you’d want all of your players to be in elite cardio shape but with his build, I don’t see how Walker can be expected to be a sprinter. Larger guys that run the floor are kind of anomalies in the basketball world, and those like Barkley that were true runners didn’t play much on the defensive end.
While that might be true in this moment, his frame could and should drop about 25 pounds in the offseason. I don’t really care that he looks like a marshmallow. The fact is he needs to score 12-18 every night because his lack of effort on defense and rebounding the basketball is going to give up as many points as he scores.
Thats what made Belo such a force. He didn’t have that great a motor either (26 min/game) but he’d work just as hard if not harder on defense. Belo was a guy who’d give you 12 points and would make up for the “lack of scoring” with effort plays on defense by picking up rebounds, blocking shots, and not letting his man score.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:54 pm

Desert_Bobcat wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:49 pm
PapaG wrote:
Desert_Bobcat wrote:
thefrank1 wrote:
Helcat72 wrote:
While that might be true in this moment, his frame could and should drop about 25 pounds in the offseason. I don’t really care that he looks like a marshmallow. The fact is he needs to score 12-18 every night because his lack of effort on defense and rebounding the basketball is going to give up as many points as he scores.
Thats what made Belo such a force. He didn’t have that great a motor either (26 min/game) but he’d work just as hard if not harder on defense. Belo was a guy who’d give you 12 points and would make up for the “lack of scoring” with effort plays on defense by picking up rebounds, blocking shots, and not letting his man score.
That’s a lot of weight to ask a guy to lose and still play the position he is at with those 25 lbs to bang in the paint. His build is his build. Hoping his cardio improves some but I would t count on a drastic weight loss considering he isn’t a ball-handling wing.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:29 am

Joe Bobcat wrote:
The idea that, "This is high school talent" originated from a post by WYCAT who at that time seemed to be in a dark place and was unable to see that in fact this team does have D1 talent. It was insulting and quite inaccurate but to be fair he wasn't the only one who basically thought that.

Each time it's brought up now is kind of a way of throwing it back in the face of posters that were hyper critical of the players and hyper critical of coach Logie as well. It may still come across as an insult but each time this team goes out and exceeds expectations it serves as a reminder that whatever their talent level is and no matter who their up against this Bobcat team will punch above their weight.
It was a terrible take at the time, and looks even worse now that Ford and Goracke have proven that they are capable not only of playing at this level, but of being star players. Walker has shown glimpses of that as well.

Given how easy it can be to misinterpret, I wonder if it's maybe time to retire this meme.
Helcat72 wrote:
Lecholat's shooting allows the team to defend teams that play two big men while still being able to space the floor. Or it would, if Walker could play starter minutes and/or Logie had any intention of playing Olmsted at all.

Walker isn't that bad a rebounder, actually. If you look at his rebounding on a per minute or percentage basis, he's second behind Ford. His totals are mainly low because his minutes are low. His real shortcomings are conditioning and defense. The defense may or may not be tied to the conditioning. The nice thing is that fitness is something that can be improved. I just hope that it will be.
Desert_Bobcat wrote:
I don't think Belo's time was limited by his conditioning. I think the main factor was not having enough minutes to go around with both Belo and Osobor.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:34 am

Belo's minutes were also quite often limited due to foul trouble.

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:52 am

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:29 am
Joe Bobcat wrote:

It was a terrible take at the time, and looks even worse now that Ford and Goracke have proven that they are capable not only of playing at this level, but of being star players. Walker has shown glimpses of that as well.

Given how easy it can be to misinterpret, I wonder if it's maybe time to retire this meme.
Helcat72 wrote:
Lecholat's shooting allows the team to defend teams that play two big men while still being able to space the floor. Or it would, if Walker could play starter minutes and/or Logie had any intention of playing Olmsted at all.

Walker isn't that bad a rebounder, actually. If you look at his rebounding on a per minute or percentage basis, he's second behind Ford. His totals are mainly low because his minutes are low. His real shortcomings are conditioning and defense. The defense may or may not be tied to the conditioning. The nice thing is that fitness is something that can be improved. I just hope that it will be.
Desert_Bobcat wrote:
I don't think Belo's time was limited by his conditioning. I think the main factor was not having enough minutes to go around with both Belo and Osobor.
I agree with you that it's a meme that is due for retirement. History shows that these kinds of things don't die and fade away from a fan base quickly and easily though. Whatever, this team will continue to believe in themselves and play with heart and a chip on their shoulder no matter what.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:36 pm

Walker to Belo comparisons should be made at the same point in their careers. Some of the comparisons here seem to compare a mature Belo with newcomer Walker.

When Belo first played for us, he was the reverse of Walker, good on defense and horrible on offense. He also suffered from lack of good conditioning. He could stop a runaway freight train on defense but could not hold onto the basketball very well. He was a turnover machine. He continued to improve his game over the four years he played here under the tutelage of Chris Haslam and was outstanding on both ends of the court when healthy his last two years.

This is Walkers first year with us and he appears to be the mirror image of Belo. Good on offense (sometimes unstoppable) but a liability on rebounding and defense. His conditioning does not support his ability to play full time. As this team has learned and become proficient in Logie's schemes, his rebounding and defense have improved. Part of this improvement is due to others on the team becoming more proficient in the schemes as well. Sam, Tyler, Jed, Patrick, and Robert all had major adjustments to make in the new scheme. Walker continues to develop additional skills and his attitude remains good. He is performing at a similar level to Belo in his first year. If we can keep him, we have a good one.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

Kadeezy
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Kadeezy » Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:42 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:52 pm
This gym reminds me of when we had to play in Saco after the gym in Malta burned down on Christmas Eve. Unreal. Isn’t sac like 40,000 college students?
At least the sellout crowd of 1,400 could watch us lose lol. Not sure if you guys were aware, but this was the last game the Cats will ever play in the nest. New on campus facility opens up in time for next hoops seasons.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:50 pm

Kadeezy wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:42 pm
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
This gym reminds me of when we had to play in Saco after the gym in Malta burned down on Christmas Eve. Unreal. Isn’t sac like 40,000 college students?
At least the sellout crowd of 1,400 could watch us lose lol. Not sure if you guys were aware, but this was the last game the Cats will ever play in the nest. New on campus facility opens up in time for next hoops seasons.
Aren't they renovating a gym that already exists into the new facility? Too bad they could never find the funding for a brand new facility like Idaho and PSU did, but I'm sure it will be an improvement.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:51 pm

Kadeezy wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
That’s great to hear. I didn’t know that.

Kadeezy
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Kadeezy » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:05 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:50 pm
Kadeezy wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Aren't they renovating a gym that already exists into the new facility? Too bad they could never find the funding for a brand new facility like Idaho and PSU did, but I'm sure it will be an improvement.
PSU was a renovation.

This area was originally intended to be an events center, but the economy exploding in 2007 ruined that.... So, it was modified to 4 full size courts.

This space is being renovated into a two-level arena with suites, and a capacity of 4-5k.

https://thewellatsacstate.com/book-the- ... servations

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:20 pm

Kadeezy wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:05 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:50 pm
Kadeezy wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
PSU was a renovation.

This area was originally intended to be an events center, but the economy exploding in 2007 ruined that.... So, it was modified to 4 full size courts.

This space is being renovated into a two-level arena with suites, and a capacity of 4-5k.

https://thewellatsacstate.com/book-the- ... servations
Looks super nice, grats on the facility!

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:20 pm

PapaG wrote:
Desert_Bobcat wrote:
thefrank1 wrote:
Helcat72 wrote:
We never had to spell Great like this. We did with Belo but that was to protect his knees.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz