MBB & WBB stuff

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

MBB & WBB stuff

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:20 am

Last edited by Hawks86 on Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Willneal
BobcatNation Redshirt

Re: MBB stuff

Post by Willneal » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:04 am

Those are SHARP!! Hoping it leads to a big step on the court! (I'm hopeful!!)

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Re: MBB & WBB stuff

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:07 pm

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:20 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:07 pm
Congratulations =D^ =D^

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:23 am

duelalumnicat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by duelalumnicat » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:21 pm

Go Cats! :)

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:51 pm

Looks like the rumors were true about DK living in the weight room. I think he has a lot of potential.

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by wapiti » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:54 am

Since practice has started what is the prediction this year? Will we finish above .500?

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:22 pm

Wow went and looked at the MBB roster and we actually have some legit size this year. How much of an impact that size will have remains to be seen but hopefully we won't just be olèing people though the lane this year.

Women look like they are ready for another solid year.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:47 pm

wapiti wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:54 am
Since practice has started what is the prediction this year? Will we finish above .500?
If you combine the records of the men's and women's teams I'd say they'll finish over .500! Thinking the women are in for a special year and the men are in for a typical season with brief flashes of promise ending in completely unsurprising disappointment.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:23 pm

The men's team will look much more impressive walking through the airport anyway. On the court-who knows??? Can one of our 6'll" centers beat out our incumbent 6'5" center for the job? Will Ricketts help divert some attention away from Hall. Will the tourney being in Boise be our good luck charm? (not holding out much hope there).
The women's team should be really good...if they can replace Caudill at the point. Those are some huge shoes to fill.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:21 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:23 pm
The men's team will look much more impressive walking through the airport anyway. On the court-who knows??? Can one of our 6'll" centers beat out our incumbent 6'5" center for the job? Will Ricketts help divert some attention away from Hall. Will the tourney being in Boise be our good luck charm? (not holding out much hope there).
The women's team should be really good...if they can replace Caudill at the point. Those are some huge shoes to fill.
The team is definitely going to have some options at the center spot, but I am betting Sam starts at center to start the season if not the entire season. I think in Fish's mind someone needs to come in and take it from him, and while we now have a lot of option at center only Sam is a proven Commodity. Even Haruna never started a game and got very little playing time at East Carolina so he still needs to prove himself. Interestingly enough for the first time since he has been at MSU Sam now is listed solely as a center on the official roster. That is not by accident. What also could be more interesting is who backs up Blevins at the 4 (PF) spot. Could Sam move over at times to the 4 and we bring in a true center. In some of Fish interviews he indicated that Kirby was not a true center, he has a good mid range and three point shot and is athletic enough to play facing the basket. Could we bring him at the 4? Could we run a twin tower situation when Sam and Blevin are out together? I am also hearing some very good things about freshman 6-7 Zeke Quiinlan who if ready might be the natural sub for Blevin. Quinlan is a little bigger and a better three point shooter but only a freshman but their games are similar. The final option is an oldie but goodie and that is to bring one of our many wings over from the small forward spot to the 4. I am hearing really good things about our freshman so it should be interesting to see how much they play. I have even heard some predict we may end up redshirting a freshman this year who when everything is said and done may have the biggest impact on the program.

My predicted starting line up
PG Harald
SG Hall
SF Ricketts (although a freshman or two may push)
PF Blevins
C Neuman

Although based on what Fish has been talking about expect to see Daniels (PG), Frey (SG) and Hall (SF) line up a lot this season.

Excited to get both the men's and women's season get started on the court.

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:29 am

I think the biggest thing Haruna's biggest impact will be on the defensive end playing the middle of the 2-3 zone. If he can anchor the zone in the middle, they'll have to get creative on how they hide him offensively (judging by his previous numbers) or make him effective, maybe as a backside rebounding threat. I think the JUCO point guard is going to make an impact in letting Frey play off the ball some. I think the freshman will help and I'm hoping Kirby's length and athleticism is going to be a difference maker. Rickets and Martin will be pivotal pieces with their ability to shoot the basketball and stretch the defense.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:51 am

phantom wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:29 am
I think the biggest thing Haruna's biggest impact will be on the defensive end playing the middle of the 2-3 zone. If he can anchor the zone in the middle, they'll have to get creative on how they hide him offensively (judging by his previous numbers) or make him effective, maybe as a backside rebounding threat. I think the JUCO point guard is going to make an impact in letting Frey play off the ball some. I think the freshman will help and I'm hoping Kirby's length and athleticism is going to be a difference maker. Rickets and Martin will be pivotal pieces with their ability to shoot the basketball and stretch the defense.
I agree with you on Haruna, it will be great to have a very physical presence down low on defense. With all of our new big men I am in a optimistic (as always) but "you are going to have to prove yourselves to me before I get excited" mode.. I mean a lot of big men have had a tough time playing defense the way Fish wants them to. As with most College programs you don't get minutes if you are not playing solid defense. I also think Martin is primed to have a good year as a freshman. He is a shooter and Fish puts a premium on shooting the 3 ball, but also he (and Quinlan also) has the body of a guy who has been in the program for a few years. He is not a skinny freshman who will where down in games and as the year goes on. I think he is a prefect Fish player.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:01 pm

The big question regarding the big guys is-can they stay on the floor for 5 minutes without fouling out? That's been an issue for every true center Fish has brought in here.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:39 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:01 pm
The big question regarding the big guys is-can they stay on the floor for 5 minutes without fouling out? That's been an issue for every true center Fish has brought in here.
Yes I was trying to spin it a little more positive, but having a 6-9+ center is one thing, but if they can not play significant minutes in the game, it is like not having them at all. Again I am optimistic about our new big men, but still Fish is gong to have prove to me he can get 1 or 2 on the floor and keep them on the floor for significant minutes. Belgrade is right Fish has not been able to do that with big men in his tenure especially big men transfers. I think (OK maybe hope) Kirby though being in the program for going on his 3rd year has a chance to break this trend.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:35 pm

https://twitter.com/CoachBin/status/1046208570818097152 Coach Binford with a Saturday evening boom. Hope this is the highly regarded player from Minnesota!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:42 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:35 pm
https://twitter.com/CoachBin/status/1046208570818097152 Coach Binford with a Saturday evening boom. Hope this is the highly regarded player from Minnesota!

SG,PG from Timberline in Boise class of 2020.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:34 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:42 pm
MSU01 wrote:

SG,PG from Timberline in Boise class of 2020.
Just did a little research on the Bobcat's latest commit, sorry it took so long but a busy week. Ava Ranson is a 5-8 PG/SG junior to be from Timberlake HS in Boise Idaho. She plays with PG 5-6 junior to be Elena McHargue. Last season McHargue was a first team all 5-A district, while Ranson was a 2nd team all district also. I could not find Ranson's season stats, but I did read that she was 3rd in scoring in 5A and 1st in assists. She started at the shooting guard spot with McHargue playing the point guard spot, but played a lot at point also. Same thing should be true this year as both her and Mchargue return this year, but is projected to play the point guard spot in college (no to mention her senior year at Timberlake). Like I said not overall stats but in the handful of games I saw stats for her points were between 16-20. She has been coming on strong as a scorer. Her freshman year she was the back up point guard who was more of a distributor, but her coach asked he to be more selfish this year and score the ball, and has becoming better scorer as the season progressed. She also has a reputation as being a scrapper and a very high basketball IQ. All three Idaho schools were recruiting her, and I believe had offers out (among other schools), but Binford was very aggressive, offering her and getting her in for a visit this past weekend and she committed. Her early commitment surprised a lot of folks. Snooze you lose. I found some video of her but all of it is from her freshman year. If she continues to develop this and next year she could make an impact very early in her carrier.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:37 am

MSU01 wrote:
The Minnesota Guard committed to Seton Hall