Food Bank Night at the Brick

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Food Bank Night at the Brick

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:22 am

They haven't publicized this very much, but tonight is a double header and $5 tickets with a food bank donation. WBB vs. Providence (formerly U of Great Falls), MBB vs. UM-Western. Hopefully neither will be close, but you never know. https://twitter.com/MSUBobcats/status/930524645488451584

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Food Bank Night at the Brick

Post by LTown Cat » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:06 am

Western could be scary. Cats better show up.

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by wapiti » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:17 pm

I thought I saw where Western is #4 in the nation in NAIA.
Western is not going to be an easy win.

rosco_cat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by rosco_cat » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:25 pm

Preseason ranked #8.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:17 pm

I believe they also have the pre-season player of the year in the Frontier.

College of Idaho is a legit NAIA DII national contender. They only lost at Boise State by 5. Hung with Gonzaga for awhile, eventually losing by 25ish. Western beat them by 9. I know they are lower division and so is Western but they are damn good teams. Better than Northern who gave MSU a scare for sure.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:58 pm

I missed the name change of UGF to Providence. Here's the story from last June.
http://helenair.com/sports/college/fron ... 29cb6.html
Also on Tuesday, UGF created a new position of assistant athletic director of facilities and event management, hiring Montana basketball legend Doug Hashley to fill the post. Hashley will, among other things, oversee the use and scheduling of the McLaughlin Center, Argo Field, and UGF wrestling facilities.
Good luck to Hashley!

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:38 pm

Bobcats cannot take a game lightly just because it's an NAIA game.
Northern Arizona took it on the chin against Embry Riddle Aeronautical University of Prescott AZ a couple days ago. Biggest win ever for Embry Riddle.

http://prescott.embryriddlesports.com/n ... izona.aspx

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:42 pm

Women win 66-31 over Providence with a stifling defensive performance, and the men win 109-81 using a huge run in the second half in a...not-so-stifling defensive performance. 32 points on 9-12 shooting for Tyler, so nice to see him break out of the struggles a little. Next up is a trip to Louisiana Tech on Saturday for the men before they head to Cancun over Thanksgiving, while MSU travels to Omaha who might as well join the Big Sky with how often they play MSU.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:07 am

Argonauts is gotta be one of the coolest nicknames in sports and when they shorten it to Argos-well that's almost even cooler. =D^
The women's game looked like an NAIA team against a D-1 team. The Argos could barely get a shot off. Madeline Smith was dominant and ended up with 19 boards! We have some extremely talented freshmen on this squad.
The men played great for the first five minutes and great for the last 10 minutes. In between the Bulldogs really gave us a game. For a stretch there they couldn't miss. Their little point guard reminded me of Jeremiah Dominquez from Portland State a few years back. We couldn't keep him in front of us. But finally, their shots stopped falling and then it was off to the races. And oh by the way, Tyler Hall had 32 points. Nobody's saying anything, but I think Tyler his carrying a leg injury. He was favoring it now and then and hobbled off and got worked on by the trainer for quite a while before coming back and running off a bunch more points. Isaac Bonton will be a really good player for us. But right now he turns it over too much and misses too many contested layups. But look out when he gets it figured out. Klines started and it wouldn't surprise me if he keeps on starting the rest of his career. Fish loves him-despite his terrible free throw shooting.

rosco_cat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by rosco_cat » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:39 am

I think it could have been much closer if Western's Coach Keller would have coached to win. Pretty evident when the Bobcat's lead in the second half was cut to 6 and Keller is pulling starters. As far as the final 10 minutes looking great, at that point they were playing against Western's second and third string. We have no big inside presence and that's going to be an issue against most Big Sky teams.

msu_agfan
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by msu_agfan » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:24 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:Argonauts is gotta be one of the coolest nicknames in sports and when they shorten it to Argos-well that's almost even cooler. =D^
The women's game looked like an NAIA team against a D-1 team. The Argos could barely get a shot off. Madeline Smith was dominant and ended up with 19 boards! We have some extremely talented freshmen on this squad.
The men played great for the first five minutes and great for the last 10 minutes. In between the Bulldogs really gave us a game. For a stretch there they couldn't miss. Their little point guard reminded me of Jeremiah Dominquez from Portland State a few years back. We couldn't keep him in front of us. But finally, their shots stopped falling and then it was off to the races. And oh by the way, Tyler Hall had 32 points. Nobody's saying anything, but I think Tyler his carrying a leg injury.[/b] He was favoring it now and then and hobbled off and got worked on by the trainer for quite a while before coming back and running off a bunch more points. Isaac Bonton will be a really good player for us. But right now he turns it over too much and misses too many contested layups. But look out when he gets it figured out. Klines started and it wouldn't surprise me if he keeps on starting the rest of his career. Fish loves him-despite his terrible free throw shooting.
According to this Gazette article, looks like an ankle injury that isn't too serious hopefully. http://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky- ... user-share

Animal Science/ Ag Business '96

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:51 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:Argonauts is gotta be one of the coolest nicknames in sports and when they shorten it to Argos-well that's almost even cooler. =D^
The men played great for the first five minutes and great for the last 10 minutes. In between the Bulldogs really gave us a game. For a stretch there they couldn't miss. Their little point guard reminded me of Jeremiah Dominquez from Portland State a few years back. We couldn't keep him in front of us. But finally, their shots stopped falling and then it was off to the races. And oh by the way, Tyler Hall had 32 points. Nobody's saying anything, but I think Tyler his carrying a leg injury. He was favoring it now and then and hobbled off and got worked on by the trainer for quite a while before coming back and running off a bunch more points. Isaac Bonton will be a really good player for us. But right now he turns it over too much and misses too many contested layups. But look out when he gets it figured out. Klines started and it wouldn't surprise me if he keeps on starting the rest of his career. Fish loves him-despite his terrible free throw shooting.
From what I've seen I agree with this move. He always brings a spark and he's vocal! He's a leader. Something this team is lacking.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:02 pm

rosco_cat wrote:I think it could have been much closer if Western's Coach Keller would have coached to win. Pretty evident when the Bobcat's lead in the second half was cut to 6 and Keller is pulling starters. As far as the final 10 minutes looking great, at that point they were playing against Western's second and third string. We have no big inside presence and that's going to be an issue against most Big Sky teams.
So Western pulled all of their starters with a 6 point deficit? Pretty confused.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:26 pm

CelticCat wrote:
rosco_cat wrote:I think it could have been much closer if Western's Coach Keller would have coached to win. Pretty evident when the Bobcat's lead in the second half was cut to 6 and Keller is pulling starters. As far as the final 10 minutes looking great, at that point they were playing against Western's second and third string. We have no big inside presence and that's going to be an issue against most Big Sky teams.
So Western pulled all of their starters with a 6 point deficit? Pretty confused.
I have to admit I wasn't paying too close attention to UMW's personnel at that point in the game. They had a bunch of skinny guys who all could shoot it. Probably what happened was UMW was playing very hard and their main guys tongues were starting to drag so he subbed them out. About that same time, Tyler Hall came back in after getting his ankle wrapped and promptly hit a deep three. The lead blew up from 6 points to 20 points in what seemed like a matter of seconds and the game was suddenly out of reach.

msu_agfan
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by msu_agfan » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:37 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
I have to admit I wasn't paying too close attention to UMW's personnel at that point in the game. They had a bunch of skinny guys who all could shoot it. Probably what happened was UMW was playing very hard and their main guys tongues were starting to drag so he subbed them out. About that same time, Tyler Hall came back in after getting his ankle wrapped and promptly hit a deep three. The lead blew up from 6 points to 20 points in what seemed like a matter of seconds and the game was suddenly out of reach.
I just watched the replay on 'watch big sky'. I don't think they were coached to lose, there were a couple subs at 13:13 with the score at 71-66, at 12:40 the score was even closer 73-69 . 12:11 to go 77-69, and the subs went back out, or, better said, their big guy who was playing a monster game, needed a 1 minute break and came back in. It seems that Western just started to miss some shots (back to earth) they had a run before they started to sub where they hit 9 of 10 shots I think. at least 4 or 5 threes.

Animal Science/ Ag Business '96

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Mtcatfan » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:17 am

Tyler tweaked his ankle in the game against Omaha in Great Falls when he came down awkwardly after a shot. It appeared to be a high ankle sprain the way he reacted, but speculating.

rosco_cat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by rosco_cat » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:36 am

I watch a lot of Frontier games and Western had players getting minutes in this game that won't see the court in close conference games. In looking at NAIA stats, I don't think Western missing a few shots as in the "back to earth" comment is really correct. They are currently #18 NAIA Div. I in field goal percentage, 51%, so they do have the ability to score consistently and they are also #1 in scoring offense. Surprised they didn't go inside to the post more as our "bigs" were unable to get stops when he did get the ball.

Another thing I don't get is any reason to have Frey playing 32 minutes in a game like that. Getting injured in a nearly 30 point win definitely wouldn't look like a good coaching decision.