Men's 2018 Basketball Recruiting

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Men's 2018 Basketball Recruiting

Post by mslacat » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:19 pm

I am not sure but I think Jordan Robinson from Riverside JC in Riverside Ca did not visit this week end

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:26 am

Tid Bits
Another recruiting week end coming up this week. I don't expect a lot activity most likely 1 prospect in Maaaaaaybe two. Likely hood of Jordan Robinson coming in probably high. I wish we would bring in Isaac Bonton former teammate 6-9ish Wilfried Likayi, but you are all most likely tired of hearing me wine about that. Robinson would be a great get though and give the strongest rebounding presence we have had in almost a decade.

Griz Got a commit from 6-3 PG Rollie Worster 2020 (currently a sophomore) who plays for Hellgate here in Missoula. Averaged 15 points 4.9 rebounds, 2.5 assists and 1.6 steals as a freshman. Should be interesting Worster is said to be still growing and could be a Pac-12 calibur player by the his senior year. There was a survey done a couple years ago about players who commit early to schools. Players who commit to a schools in their sophomore year usually go on to play for that school only about 40% of the time. If he turns out to be as good as he says he is the Griz could be looking at a bunch of schools trying to poach him before November of his senior year when he can officially sign. That said I have heard he strong ties to Missoula and playing at home means a lot to him.

This years Fall signing period for most sports (except football) will start in about 2 week on November 8th and will end November 15th. Look for the Bobcat men to sign at least 3 maybe 4. The Bobcats Women have at least 3 to sign out of 5 open scholarships.

Surprisingly enough the Griz still have only 1 commit so far that being Anderson of Bozeman. They had 2 commits but a 6-8 PF from Oregon de-committed last month. Given I believe they have 5 scholarships to offer I am surprised they do not have 1 or 2 more commits. Look though for the Griz to hold one of two scholarships for the spring, they are very high on recruiting D-1 drop down transfers and may look to keep there options open this spring. The Griz were recruiting Europe hard last year, but their main recruiting coach for Europe is now working for Hawaii hurt those efforts.

The Bobcat Women will be holding their Blue/Gold scrimmage this Friday evening and will then be receiving their Big Sky Championship rings at half time of the MSU vs Idaho State game Saturday.

I have not heard boo on what the men are up to concerning a blue/gold game and I am almost get the feeling they will be skipping it all together. If there are any 6th Man club Members out their PM me if you know of any preseason events coming up. Again Fish is pretty much radio silence on such issue.

Secret Scrimmages: Every year the NCAA allows its D-1 programs to scrimmage against other D-1 teams once before the season begins. The scrimmages are required to be close to the media and public and not information can be released about the outcome and stats. About 80% of the colleges take advantage of this. These games have been given them the Name "Secret Scrimmages". In the past MSU has scrimmaged against Wyoming quite a few times, but also Idaho, Utah Valley and Washington State. As I understand it Montana State will not have a secret scrimmage this year. The Griz will scrimmage against U of Seattle on the U of Idaho campus on the 29th of October.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:05 pm

mslacat wrote:Tid Bits
Another recruiting week end coming up this week. I don't expect a lot activity most likely 1 prospect in Maaaaaaybe two. Likely hood of Jordan Robinson coming in probably high. I wish we would bring in Isaac Bonton former teammate 6-9ish Wilfried Likayi, but you are all most likely tired of hearing me wine about that. Robinson would be a great get though and give the strongest rebounding presence we have had in almost a decade.

Griz Got a commit from 6-3 PG Rollie Worster 2020 (currently a sophomore) who plays for Hellgate here in Missoula. Averaged 15 points 4.9 rebounds, 2.5 assists and 1.6 steals as a freshman. Should be interesting Worster is said to be still growing and could be a Pac-12 calibur player by the his senior year. There was a survey done a couple years ago about players who commit early to schools. Players who commit to a schools in their sophomore year usually go on to play for that school only about 40% of the time. If he turns out to be as good as he says he is the Griz could be looking at a bunch of schools trying to poach him before November of his senior year when he can officially sign. That said I have heard he strong ties to Missoula and playing at home means a lot to him.

This years Fall signing period for most sports (except football) will start in about 2 week on November 8th and will end November 15th. Look for the Bobcat men to sign at least 3 maybe 4. The Bobcats Women have at least 3 to sign out of 5 open scholarships.

Surprisingly enough the Griz still have only 1 commit so far that being Anderson of Bozeman. They had 2 commits but a 6-8 PF from Oregon de-committed last month. Given I believe they have 5 scholarships to offer I am surprised they do not have 1 or 2 more commits. Look though for the Griz to hold one of two scholarships for the spring, they are very high on recruiting D-1 drop down transfers and may look to keep there options open this spring. The Griz were recruiting Europe hard last year, but their main recruiting coach for Europe is now working for Hawaii hurt those efforts.

The Bobcat Women will be holding their Blue/Gold scrimmage this Friday evening and will then be receiving their Big Sky Championship rings at half time of the MSU vs Idaho State game Saturday.

I have not heard boo on what the men are up to concerning a blue/gold game and I am almost get the feeling they will be skipping it all together. If there are any 6th Man club Members out their PM me if you know of any preseason events coming up. Again Fish is pretty much radio silence on such issue.

Secret Scrimmages: Every year the NCAA allows its D-1 programs to scrimmage against other D-1 teams once before the season begins. The scrimmages are required to be close to the media and public and not information can be released about the outcome and stats. About 80% of the colleges take advantage of this. These games have been given them the Name "Secret Scrimmages". In the past MSU has scrimmaged against Wyoming quite a few times, but also Idaho, Utah Valley and Washington State. As I understand it Montana State will not have a secret scrimmage this year. The Griz will scrimmage against U of Seattle on the U of Idaho campus on the 29th of October.
Thanks for the updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:57 pm

I have been told that the Bobcat Men will hold a Blue/Gold type scrimmage Saturday Morning from 10:00 - 11:30 in Shroyer gym

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:13 pm

Weekly tidbits

One week from today is the early signing period. Men should sign at least 3, Women at least 3

At the men's Open practice Saturday 6-4ish junior G/SF Jaden Graham from Fergus high school in Lewistown Montana was in attendance with his family. The coaches were snoozing. Graham is getting a fair amount of attention from Both Montana and Idaho D-1 School. He averaged 15.6 points last year but what is really impressive is he shot 43% from three point range. He was listed last year at 6-4 and he looked a solid 6-5 in the gym. He was in for an unofficial visit. I will have more later.

I do not believe the coaches had any recruits in last week-end. I have heard nothing about this week-end. I hear they are looking for a big man. I have started to hear about 3 European big men they are now showing interest in 2 playing in Europe and 1 in the states. All rumor at this point and I can not confirm any offer's or Visits. There is still the possibility of a rectuit visiting this week end.

Binford Had a recruit in this week end a tall (6-2 or better) thin you lady, but no name.

The Men Offered 2019 6-3 JR PG Ade Adebayo Barking Abbey Club in Great Britain. The only 2019 prospect I have heard they have offered. More on that later

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:10 pm

https://twitter.com/pschweds/status/958199564346867712 https://twitter.com/RickettsLadan/status/958143370408337414 Livingston kid now playing at Sheridan College JC in Wyoming. Looks like he has an offer from Louisiana-Monroe as well. From the youtube video I saw he has a really quick release and a lot of range. Anybody remember his Park High days?
I hope he commits. We need some in state talent on the roster.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:48 am

He's taken 288 shots in Sheridan and 232 of them were threes. That makes sense, since even his highlight tape from Sheridan doesn't show him beating anyone to the rim off the dribble. I see him listed at 6'5" in some places and 6'6" in others, which means Fish will play him at power forward.

Better learn a post game. :lol:

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:34 pm

Any big guys on the radar? Or has anybody heard where Shultz ended up?

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:59 pm

With three scholarships I was really hoping that we would sign at least two big men and I've heard fish is really interested in getting another point guard in the system but for this offer it looks like a point guard or shooting guard and a big man is what he's after although we don't know if another scholarship or two will be opening up

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:10 pm

We desperately need someone who can hit threes consistently to keep defenses honest against Hall and Frey. Defenses are sagging way off anybody not Hall or Frey. This kid looks to fill Mvezulo's role, but hopefully he's a way better shooter (if we get him). One of the kid's fron Arizona could fill that role as well. If Hall leaves, this kid would have to fill his shoes.
We definitely need another point guard as well as I don't think Nikkarinen is the answer if Frey gets hurt or is in foul trouble.
https://twitter.com/JUCOadvocate/status/909961019086139392

GrizgradCatFan

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:46 pm

[quote="mslacat"]With three scholarships I was really hoping that we would sign at least two big men and I've heard fish is really interested in getting another point guard in the system but for this offer it looks like a point guard or shooting guard and a big man is what he's after although we don't know if another scholarship or two will be opening up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quot

I would love to know who you are thinking else would take off. I am hoping its the same person I think if it is as he isn't D1 material.

msu_agfan
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by msu_agfan » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:10 am

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:He's taken 288 shots in Sheridan and 232 of them were threes. That makes sense, since even his highlight tape from Sheridan doesn't show him beating anyone to the rim off the dribble. I see him listed at 6'5" in some places and 6'6" in others, which means Fish will play him at power forward.

Better learn a post game. :lol:
The other 50 shots were probably a step or two inside the three pt line. He utilizes the fake in a great way to come closer to the basket and get an open shot, once or twice it was a shot on the run so that looks promising.

Animal Science/ Ag Business '96

wapiti

Post by wapiti » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:15 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:We desperately need someone who can hit threes consistently to keep defenses honest against Hall and Frey. Defenses are sagging way off anybody not Hall or Frey. This kid looks to fill Mvezulo's role, but hopefully he's a way better shooter (if we get him). One of the kid's fron Arizona could fill that role as well. If Hall leaves, this kid would have to fill his shoes.
We definitely need another point guard as well as I don't think Nikkarinen is the answer if Frey gets hurt or is in foul trouble.
He appears to have a quick release and a hustle to get open. Get this guy a few picks/screens every game and he could be great.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:40 pm

wapiti wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:We desperately need someone who can hit threes consistently to keep defenses honest against Hall and Frey. Defenses are sagging way off anybody not Hall or Frey. This kid looks to fill Mvezulo's role, but hopefully he's a way better shooter (if we get him). One of the kid's fron Arizona could fill that role as well. If Hall leaves, this kid would have to fill his shoes.
He appears to have a quick release and a hustle to get open. Get this guy a few picks/screens every game and he could be great.
You hit what I remember as his greatest trait from his Park High days--hustle. He had a relentless motor to get open. Good elevation and quick release on his jumper. I actually talked to Fish about him his senior year. I thought then that he was a kid worthy of a spot. 6' 5", athletic, and could shoot. MSU's roster is filled with guys who have 2 of those categories. Trouble then was that Tyler was a frosh and I don't think that position was being recruited that particular year. It will be interesting to see what he decides to do. His little bro is a heck of a player (senior at Park this year) too. Although not as big as Ladan. He'll be a college bball player as well.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:14 pm

LTown Cat wrote:
wapiti wrote:
You hit what I remember as his greatest trait from his Park High days--hustle. He had a relentless motor to get open. Good elevation and quick release on his jumper. I actually talked to Fish about him his senior year. I thought then that he was a kid worthy of a spot. 6' 5", athletic, and could shoot. MSU's roster is filled with guys who have 2 of those categories. Trouble then was that Tyler was a frosh and I don't think that position was being recruited that particular year. It will be interesting to see what he decides to do. His little bro is a heck of a player (senior at Park this year) too. Although not as big as Ladan. He'll be a college bball player as well.
The last time we had a couple of brothers from Livingston it worked quite well.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:07 pm

“I thought Dawson Fowler showed why he’s one of the best players in the area,” Deming said. “The Bobcats missed out big time on this guy. He’s a great player.”

http://www.belgrade-news.com/sports/pan ... f7354.html

We're going all over the world to recruit guys who can't shoot the basketball when there are kids in our own back yard who I believe are better basketball players. Not many, but far more than none. I don't know if Dawson Fowler is good enough to get a D-1 scholarship. He's going to UM-Western as of now. He'll probably come in here and drop 20 on us in a pre-season game someday. The kid from Livingston is encouraging (if he signs). I think a big missing ingredient to this team is the lack of instate talent-and not just offering walk-on spots, but full scholarships. Our football team can't win without Montana players, why would the basketball team be any different?

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:51 pm

So, you're not sure if the kid is a division 1 player, he's going to a NAIA school, so no other division 1s have offered, but it's an example of what's wrong with Montana State's basketball program? Sorry, that doesn't make sense.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:55 pm

None offered him last fall but I've talk to some coaches in high school who thinks he is now a D1 player. Kind of like Quentin Guliford Who had no offers last fall after averaging six points a game for Liberty high school. Then in late October a D1 coach named Brian fish stop by his high school and saw enough that he was willing to offer him a scholarship when no other D1. Didn't look good on paper back that looks really good today

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:50 pm

phantom wrote:So, you're not sure if the kid is a division 1 player, he's going to a NAIA school, so no other division 1s have offered, but it's an example of what's wrong with Montana State's basketball program? Sorry, that doesn't make sense.
This is Fish's 4th season and we have a bad basketball team. He has not signed one single in state player to a full scholarship in those four years. To me that doesn't make sense. I don't watch enough high school ball to know if Fowler is a D-1 talent. My guess is he's one of the better players in the state, but there might be better players. His coach seems to think he's worth a look. Our coaches go to all these big AAU tournaments or wherever where we have to recruit against every other college in the country. Montana may have fewer players, but among those players MSU would be the first choice for many of them, instead being the consolation choice after every other school has passed them over.

So here's a question: Would Fish have recruited Scott Hatler (Great Falls), Adam Leachman (Bozeman), and Danny Sprinkle (Helena)? They were starters on our last NCAA tournament team lo those many years ago.

BobcatFan68
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BobcatFan68 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:19 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:“I thought Dawson Fowler showed why he’s one of the best players in the area,” Deming said. “The Bobcats missed out big time on this guy. He’s a great player.”

http://www.belgrade-news.com/sports/pan ... f7354.html

We're going all over the world to recruit guys who can't shoot the basketball when there are kids in our own back yard who I believe are better basketball players. Not many, but far more than none. I don't know if Dawson Fowler is good enough to get a D-1 scholarship. He's going to UM-Western as of now. He'll probably come in here and drop 20 on us in a pre-season game someday. The kid from Livingston is encouraging (if he signs). I think a big missing ingredient to this team is the lack of instate talent-and not just offering walk-on spots, but full scholarships. Our football team can't win without Montana players, why would the basketball team be any different?

I am sorry, but I am not sure how recruiting instate talent guarantees wins. That make absolutely no basketball sense.