Fish's tactics

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Fish's tactics

Post by Common Cat » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:56 pm

Fish's vocal approach to coaching has been a topic of conversation since his arrival. Admittedly I haven't been to a game while he has been our coach. I'll try when we come to Eastern this year. Having no inside info, I'd be interested to see/hear how his players receive him. If you read accounts and player stories of Bob Knight, you will not find a healthy culture. I'm not saying Fish is night, but some parallels could be drawn in his vocallity. Although, I've never heard of Fish of humiliating his players like Knight would.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Fish's tactics

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:08 pm

Yeah-I don't know if his style would be something I would have liked when I played-but if I were a coach I'd probably act just like him-because I know I get frustrated. In quiet early season games you can hear him through the whole arena. He seems especially hard on the big guys-or seems to be most frustrated with them. We haven't seen how Fish will behave when the team is really good, not such a work in progress, and all five guys get his vision. Maybe his demeanor will change...if we ever get there.

Cats15
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Cats15 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:12 pm

"SAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!"

bobcatfan4life
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan4life » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:03 pm

Here is my thoughts on Fish's Tactics as you say...

First, I will say I have been at every single home game since Fish came on board. Yes he is vocal, but what coach isn't at times! He does seem to get loud at times, but I don't mind that as long as it isn't inappropriate or demeaning to players. I do believe he gets frustrated, and it does seem to come at certain guys at certain times. I watch so much college basketball though, I see it as a regular occurrence on the sidelines for any coach, even the ones considered the best out there.

Second, I would like to specify that with the yelling, there is also teaching. You can see when he is on the sidelines and pulls a guy out, if there is a teaching moment he pulls them aside and talks to them and usually pats them on the butt. It is a sign of he is trying to help them and show them where to improve, it isn't always yelling and never seems to be demeaning. I know the get frustrated with players, but what coach doesn't. I personally can't hear what he is saying to players in those moments.

I would not say the culture currently is an any way unhealthy. I believe you would find similar tactics in a lot of college arenas in the nation. Coaches yelling at players on sideline or in practice, yet you also see coaching, which is what Fish is doing. He is coaching. It may come with some yelling, and I imagine practices or even more vocal and maybe not always nice, but question is does a player really learn and improve if the coach babies them along. Coach Fish is great for the program and believe we are headed in a great direction with him.

I can handle a little yelling, I had some problems with a past coach actually really cursing at players on the sideline and getting really carried away. I actually have a huge problem if a coach is cursing out players on the sideline and doing it in front of kids and the fans. I believe that is crossing the line, and Fish has never gone that far. It is one thing to yell out of frustration if a player is not getting back on defense or not in the place he needs to be he yells. I believe there is a balance, I imagine practices may not be as fun, but I am sure players in every college sport will at some point have a complaint about a coach or practice. It is the way it goes.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:17 pm

bobcatfan4life wrote:Here is my thoughts on Fish's Tactics as you say...

First, I will say I have been at every single home game since Fish came on board. Yes he is vocal, but what coach isn't at times! He does seem to get loud at times, but I don't mind that as long as it isn't inappropriate or demeaning to players. I do believe he gets frustrated, and it does seem to come at certain guys at certain times. I watch so much college basketball though, I see it as a regular occurrence on the sidelines for any coach, even the ones considered the best out there.

Second, I would like to specify that with the yelling, there is also teaching. You can see when he is on the sidelines and pulls a guy out, if there is a teaching moment he pulls them aside and talks to them and usually pats them on the butt. It is a sign of he is trying to help them and show them where to improve, it isn't always yelling and never seems to be demeaning. I know the get frustrated with players, but what coach doesn't. I personally can't hear what he is saying to players in those moments.

I would not say the culture currently is an any way unhealthy. I believe you would find similar tactics in a lot of college arenas in the nation. Coaches yelling at players on sideline or in practice, yet you also see coaching, which is what Fish is doing. He is coaching. It may come with some yelling, and I imagine practices or even more vocal and maybe not always nice, but question is does a player really learn and improve if the coach babies them along. Coach Fish is great for the program and believe we are headed in a great direction with him.

I can handle a little yelling, I had some problems with a past coach actually really cursing at players on the sideline and getting really carried away. I actually have a huge problem if a coach is cursing out players on the sideline and doing it in front of kids and the fans. I believe that is crossing the line, and Fish has never gone that far. It is one thing to yell out of frustration if a player is not getting back on defense or not in the place he needs to be he yells. I believe there is a balance, I imagine practices may not be as fun, but I am sure players in every college sport will at some point have a complaint about a coach or practice. It is the way it goes.
:goodpost:

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:25 pm

Cats15 wrote:"SAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!"
Nailed it! =D^ :lol:

bobcatfan4life
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan4life » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:55 pm

This is funny! :lol:
He does that plenty!

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:37 pm

bobcatfan4life wrote:Here is my thoughts on Fish's Tactics as you say...

Thanks, good to know.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:18 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Nailed it! =D^ :lol:
I wonder when he'll show up?

2024 Resume dominance

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:54 pm

I guess the jury is still out for me. I can understand both points of view. As mentioned in another thread, if you get yelled at too much, you never get comfortable.

We started off well, but have been crappy in the month of December. Three years into this and still not seeing consistent improvement. Improvement, yes, but still egregious lapses of play that leave me saying "WTH?" Not sold on Fish. We will see how conference play turns out.

bobcatfan4life
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan4life » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:19 pm

Yes, if you get yelled at a lot, you may be scared to make a mistake and may not get that comfortable, so I get that side of it too. It is easy to see both sides of it and understand both sides of it.

We did start off well, with that said, I would also make the point that it isn't like we are playing cupcake teams. Now if we were playing easy teams, that we could beat by 30, would that really be useful down the line? There have been improvements and there have been lapses, but I would expect that happens with every team, even the best when you are working in freshman and new players. We have things to work on and hopefully that will only get better as the year goes on.

I believe we will compete in conference and could do well if we can improve on a couple of these things that need work.

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:13 am

If you don't yell at kids so they are comfortable, they will become very comfortable making mistakes.