Big Sky Tournament in Billings

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Big Sky Tournament in Billings

Post by allcat » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:46 am

I would love to see the 4 smaller football divisions take the championships to Vegas. Play Division 3 and NAIA on friday, and play Division 2 and FCS on Saturday. I would consider going there so I could watch all 4 games.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

sacstateman
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by sacstateman » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:17 pm

If you book your flights before let's say November, you shouldn't have that much trouble getting a flight. How hard do you think it was for teams to get flights to Grand Forks, N.Dak. on a Saturday night for the next Wednesday? That is what happened in 2013. Not even considering cost for flights on short notice versus cost when you book 10 months in advance. No matter what, the tournament is going to be in Reno for 3 years. You can either suck it up, go to Reno and have some fun or you can watch on Big Sky TV. I for one am going to opt for the first option and enjoy the hell out of my visit. If you decide to go let me know and I'd love to meet you there...maybe take some of your money on the poker table...lol

oedipuss
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by oedipuss » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:48 pm

Reno isn't a terrible option at all. $550 flight and well apportioned room for 5 days and 4 nights seems a good value - just hope the Fightin's can make it to the end of the week with me [-o<

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:40 am

I've thought about this quite a bit over the last couple of months, ever since the BSC announced that they were considering going to a pre-determined, neutral site for the tourney, and I've decided that I don't like it. I guess I understand the reasons for doing it, but it sure takes away a lot of the incentive for winning the regular season title. The team that wins the regular season (and their fans) deserves the reward of hosting the tourney. As an MSU fan, with one RS title in the past 20 years, it isn't really all that relevant, but i wold be pissed off about this change, if I was a UM or WSU fan, teams that have won the RS and hosted the tourney frequently over the years. For a one bid league like the BSC, it's important that the RS should be as meaningful as possible, and a neutral site tourney really detracts from that. Admittedly, I'd probably feel somewhat less negative about it if Billings had been chosen as the site, but I still wouldn't be in favor of it.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:17 pm

If all you want to do is protect the #1 seed. Why have a tournament at all? I don't follow other conferences that close, but what do other leagues do for their tournaments? Everybody included? Neutral site?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:06 am

Hawks86 wrote:If all you want to do is protect the #1 seed. Why have a tournament at all? I don't follow other conferences that close, but what do other leagues do for their tournaments? Everybody included? Neutral site?
The Big 12 has there tourney every year in Kansas City and everyone is invited. Same goes for the Big 10 and the ACC. Differences are, those conferences get about 5-6 teams in, not just one.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:23 am

Hawks86 wrote:If all you want to do is protect the #1 seed. Why have a tournament at all? I don't follow other conferences that close, but what do other leagues do for their tournaments? Everybody included? Neutral site?
I'm probably a bit off on the exact number but the BSC was one of only about 4 D1 conferences who didn't have their tournament at a neutral site.