Big Sky Tournament in Billings

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Re: Big Sky Tournament in Billings

Post by grizzh8r » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:07 am

bincitysioux wrote:Big Sky officials are visiting Billings today and tomorrow.

Billings preps bid to host 3 years of Big Sky men's basketball tournaments: http://missoulian.com/news/state-and-re ... 3eff8.html

Gazette opinion: Bring Big Sky basketball to Billings: http://billingsgazette.com/news/opinion ... 8d116.html

Spokane's point of view........

Big Sky Tournament considers Spokane as host: http://www.krem.com/story/news/local/sp ... /25011631/
Driving home from work yesterday I noticed that the Metra had "Welcome Big Sky Conference" on the billboard. Kinda cool.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

msu_agfan
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by msu_agfan » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:19 am

I liked how they put up the star player from each of the 12 teams on the 12 large windows. Looked just like something out of the NBA. Very creative and I hope it helped sway them a little more!

Animal Science/ Ag Business '96

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:23 pm

bincitysioux wrote: Spokane's point of view........

Big Sky Tournament considers Spokane as host: http://www.krem.com/story/news/local/sp ... /25011631/
Spokane has the advantage of being centrally located to a lot of Big Sky teams. It's a pretty easy trip for MSU, UM, UI, PSU, and EWU. But with Gonzaga in town and Wazzu and UW down the road, the Big Sky is very minor league to them. Other than that, Spokane wouldn't be a bad location.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:46 pm

If the tournament were near me, I'd probably catch a few games, if not the whole thing if I had time for it, even if the Cats weren't in it.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

bincitysioux
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by bincitysioux » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:37 am

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:33 am

The problem I have with the Metra is that the seating is not comfortable and cramped. I was hoping when that tornado came through that they would have upgraded the seating

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

kcatz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by kcatz » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:05 pm

WeedKillinCat wrote:The problem I have with the Metra is that the seating is not comfortable and cramped. I was hoping when that tornado came through that they would have upgraded the seating

At least you can safely place a soda cup into the cup holders :kicksrock: :kicksrock:

bincitysioux
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by bincitysioux » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:39 pm

The more I analyze this, the more and more I think that Billings is going to be awarded the tournament.

If the point of this exercise is to contain costs, then avoiding airports for team travel is the #1 way to do that I think. I count 8 teams that would likely bus to Billings. I could be wrong but I think that includes Weber who is probably right on the line as to whether they would fly or bus that distance of 525 miles.

If they do fly, Billings has direct flights not only to SLC, but also to Portland. I'm not sure if althletic departments are able to use an airline like Allegiant very often, but if they can Billings has service to both Vegas and Phoenix which SUU and NAU could both theoretically utilize if they were creative.

I am going to guess that attendance would be similar to what it has been in Missoula in recent years ranging between 4,000-7,000 for any game that either UM or MSU participated in. If the Griz and Cats met during the tournament, there would be the potential for 10,000+ at that game.

Lastly, if the presidents are set on making this change, I think Fullerton is going to push for Billings. He is on record as preferring to keep the current format, but as native of Montana, former MSU A.D., my gut tells me he'll probably think it is better off in Cat-Griz land if it has to change.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:36 pm

bincitysioux wrote:The more I analyze this, the more and more I think that Billings is going to be awarded the tournament.

If the point of this exercise is to contain costs, then avoiding airports for team travel is the #1 way to do that I think. I count 8 teams that would likely bus to Billings. I could be wrong but I think that includes Weber who is probably right on the line as to whether they would fly or bus that distance of 525 miles.

If they do fly, Billings has direct flights not only to SLC, but also to Portland. I'm not sure if althletic departments are able to use an airline like Allegiant very often, but if they can Billings has service to both Vegas and Phoenix which SUU and NAU could both theoretically utilize if they were creative.

I am going to guess that attendance would be similar to what it has been in Missoula in recent years ranging between 4,000-7,000 for any game that either UM or MSU participated in. If the Griz and Cats met during the tournament, there would be the potential for 10,000+ at that game.

Lastly, if the presidents are set on making this change, I think Fullerton is going to push for Billings. He is on record as preferring to keep the current format, but as native of Montana, former MSU A.D., my gut tells me he'll probably think it is better off in Cat-Griz land if it has to change.
He has never been very giving to MSU. Not sure if it's his call or if it comes down to a vote. In a vote the money wins.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:13 pm

Billings is out. Looks like the mens and womens tournament will be in Reno.

http://billingsgazette.com/sports/colle ... slimkimmel

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:03 pm

Hawks86 wrote:Billings is out. Looks like the mens and womens tournament will be in Reno.

If that is the case I will be in attendance.....

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:12 pm

RickRund wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:Billings is out. Looks like the mens and womens tournament will be in Reno.

If that is the case I will be in attendance.....
This is about the only reason I would go to Reno and not keep driving all the way to Montana. :wink:

I may need to work this into our plans in future years.

bincitysioux
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by bincitysioux » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:54 am

From an attendance perspective, I think Reno is the worst choice when compared to Billings, Spokane, and Ogden. The monetary part of their bid must have blown everyone else's away.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:03 am

bincitysioux wrote:From an attendance perspective, I think Reno is the worst choice when compared to Billings, Spokane, and Ogden. The monetary part of their bid must have blown everyone else's away.
I think that is a given. What's the largest attendance when at the winner's site? Ticket sales would be minimal revenue. I would alsmost bet that the free tickets are pretty close to the sales.

bincitysioux
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by bincitysioux » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:36 pm

I totally understand the financial and logistical reasons for doing this. All things considered, Reno was the logical choice among the candidates, even though I hate it, I understand it. Billings really shot themselves in the foot by only bidding the men's side. Ogden/SLC/Weber shot themselves in the foot by not pursuing an off campus venue.

I think the thing I will miss the most about the old format even more than the champion hosting, is that not all teams got into the tournament. That alone really made the regular season exciting.

I know attendance is probably one of the least important factors in something like this, but I really question whether or not the title game will even draw 2,000 fans even if it is Weber v. Montana who have the best fanbases.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:46 pm

allcat wrote:
bincitysioux wrote:From an attendance perspective, I think Reno is the worst choice when compared to Billings, Spokane, and Ogden. The monetary part of their bid must have blown everyone else's away.
I think that is a given. What's the largest attendance when at the winner's site? Ticket sales would be minimal revenue. I would alsmost bet that the free tickets are pretty close to the sales.
Honestly, as far as a destination goes, Reno probably would draw a lot more people from the various schools simply because it is kind of a poor-man's Vegas and has that whole nightlife scene that might appeal to students and rowdy sports fans. It won't draw many locals, but it will likely draw a decent number of travelers, especially now that people can plan ahead and make it a vacation thing.

It's probably horrible to get to from North Dakota, but it should be a relatively easy trip from most other conference schools. It's not even a horrible drive from a place like Bozeman (well, scenery-wise most of it actually is a horrible drive, but distance-wise it's do-able).

This will certainly get the BSC teams more visible on the sports books in Nevada. :wink:

It looks like a pretty cool venue right in downtown Reno.

http://www.visitrenotahoe.com/meetings- ... ts-center/

So if you want to grab some drinks, play some cards, and even grab a hooker or two (or just head back to your room to take a nap because you did all of that until 6 am the night before) in between games, it will be a short walk from the arena. The arena is about the right size as well -- small enough to not look goofy is only a few thousand people happen to be there for a particular game, but large enough for a good sized crowd to give a "big time" look.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:22 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:
allcat wrote:
Honestly, as far as a destination goes, Reno probably would draw a lot more people from the various schools simply because it is kind of a poor-man's Vegas and has that whole nightlife scene that might appeal to students and rowdy sports fans. It won't draw many locals, but it will likely draw a decent number of travelers, especially now that people can plan ahead and make it a vacation thing.

It's probably horrible to get to from North Dakota, but it should be a relatively easy trip from most other conference schools. It's not even a horrible drive from a place like Bozeman (well, scenery-wise most of it actually is a horrible drive, but distance-wise it's do-able).

This will certainly get the BSC teams more visible on the sports books in Nevada. :wink:

So if you want to grab some drinks, play some cards, and even grab a hooker or two (or just head back to your room to take a nap because you did all of that until 6 am the night before) in between games, it will be a short walk from the arena. The arena is about the right size as well -- small enough to not look goofy is only a few thousand people happen to be there for a particular game, but large enough for a good sized crowd to give a "big time" look.
It does not have the flights that Vegas has.

oedipuss
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by oedipuss » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:30 am

Ya, but it does have Amtrak :D

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:40 am

oedipuss wrote:Ya, but it does have Amtrak :D
Man, that is a long trip from Montana.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:26 am

allcat wrote:
Bay Area Cat wrote:
allcat wrote:

It does not have the flights that Vegas has.
Yeah, another element of the "poor man's" thing that I mentioned.