Triva Question for the Week

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Triva Question for the Week

Post by aucat » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:47 am

When was the last time MSU defeated UM in ANY team sport (men's basketball, women's basketball,
football, volleyball) in Bozeman??

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Re: Triva Question for the Week

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:55 am

aucat wrote:When was the last time MSU defeated UM in ANY team sport (men's basketball, women's basketball,
football, volleyball) in Bozeman??
9/27/14

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

aucat

Post by aucat » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:15 am

Ha, you got me on the "anything" alright. Yes, we did win 2 volleyball games but unfortunately,
UM won the match 3-2. So....did the MSU fans leave Stroyer Gym celebrating a victory? Nope!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:27 am

aucat wrote:Ha, you got me on the "anything" alright. Yes, we did win 2 volleyball games but unfortunately,
UM won the match 3-2. So....did the MSU fans leave Stroyer Gym celebrating a victory? Nope!
I have no idea how I was looking at the Brawl of the Wild points on both the griz and Cats sites and thought we won that game ? :oops:

It's tied 5-5 BTW.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:01 pm

2005?

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:49 pm

Is tennis a sport? A team sport? What about Rodeo? Or is this trivial pursuit limited to the Athletic Department?

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:34 pm

Football - 2005
MBB - 2010
WBB - 2008
VB - 2008

In each of these sports except for MBB, we've won at least two times in Missoula, since our last win at home. That's very bizarre...that our teams have generally fared so much better in Missoula, than in Bozeman, when playing UM. Our record at home against the Griz has been pretty dismal in recent years, to say the least. 4 straight losses in FB and MBB, and 6 straight in WBB and VB.

Jobu
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Jobu » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:15 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
aucat wrote:Ha, you got me on the "anything" alright. Yes, we did win 2 volleyball games but unfortunately,
I have no idea how I was looking at the Brawl of the Wild points on both the griz and Cats sites and thought we won that game ? :oops:

It's tied 5-5 BTW.

Hey, we already have two more total points than we scored all last year!

But yeah, our inability to win -- anything -- in Bozeman is just strange. I'd like to feel confident that the string will end this weekend, but....

Hats for bats. Keeps bats warm.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:38 pm

Could it be that the contest with our rival has gotten so big that players get so nervous they struggle to perform up to their normal level??? Think the same is true for those guys. Except for last year we were winning football games in Missoula.

I have ask the question a couple of time and am asking again. If we don't already shouldn't we engage a sports phycologist to help coaches get teams ready for big games?? Only reason I suggest is we don't seem to do a good job of the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:24 pm

77matcat wrote:Could it be that the contest with our rival has gotten so big that players get so nervous they struggle to perform up to their normal level??? Think the same is true for those guys. Except for last year we were winning football games in Missoula.

I have ask the question a couple of time and am asking again. If we don't already shouldn't we engage a sports phycologist to help coaches get teams ready for big games?? Only reason I suggest is we don't seem to do a good job of the same.

Okay, I can't help myself...The first question will be: "How does that make you feel? I suppose that makes you angry!"
Then, "What is your inner self telling you? Would you like to kick his little ass?"
And last: "Son, you've got problems causing you all kinds of issues and issues causing you all kinds of problems! Get a fooking grip!"

aucat

Post by aucat » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:49 pm

John K wrote:Football - 2005
MBB - 2010
WBB - 2008
VB - 2008

In each of these sports except for MBB, we've won at least two times in Missoula, since our last win at home. That's very bizarre...that our teams have generally fared so much better in Missoula, than in Bozeman, when playing UM. Our record at home against the Griz has been pretty dismal in recent years, to say the least. 4 straight losses in FB and MBB, and 6 straight in WBB and VB.

Thanks John K, that stuff is not easy to find.
I think we have a chance Sat. to stop the "all sports streak at home" with the women. I have seen most of their games
this year and the potential is definitely there to whip the Lady Griz. The men, however, well, that may be a different
story. But then, that's just it.....how many time do you see the HOME team pull off a big upset when playing at home??

Wouldn't it be great to see both the Lady Cats and Bobcats come out and pull off two upsets this Saturday!
Go Cats! End the "All Sports Home Streak"

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:25 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
77matcat wrote:Could it be that the contest with our rival has gotten so big that players get so nervous they struggle to perform up to their normal level??? Think the same is true for those guys. Except for last year we were winning football games in Missoula.

Okay, I can't help myself...The first question will be: "How does that make you feel? I suppose that makes you angry!"
Then, "What is your inner self telling you? Would you like to kick his little ass?"
And last: "Son, you've got problems causing you all kinds of issues and issues causing you all kinds of problems! Get a fooking grip!"
Hahaha. Good questions.

I have an acct degree so don't really know exactly how a sports phycologist goes about their business, but pretty sure your questions wouldn't be asked.

Believe they are more about getting folks prepped to give their best. Sometimes the better athlete doesn't win because they are not in the correct frame of mind. Successful athletes who participate in individual sports figure out what frame of mind lends itself to being successful quickly or they are not successful. If you are not ready to compete you know it as soon as the whistle blows.

In team sports a few folks can not be ready and the team can still win. The more that are not ready the steeper the hill for the rest of the team.

Just seems to me that for a while now we just don't appear ready to play. I believe it's tied into the injury thing also.

Just my humble opinion.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:34 pm

Well for BB . The griz simply had better teams and coaching. For us to win(including this week) we need to play a damn near perfect game combined with them not playing well.