2015 Recruiting (Spring)

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

2015 Recruiting (Spring)

Post by mslacat » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:02 pm

Just a heads up on the remaining of 2015 recruiting. We signed 4 really good players this fall in Tyler Hall, Sam Neumann, Madrell Worthy and JC player Quinton Everett, but for the most part these are all perimeter players. Quinton Everett is a very physical player and dispite his size (6-3) I expect him to play some a the small forward for the Bobcats. Neumann is also still growing and now is listed at 6-7 (projected to possibly top out at 6-8) not yo mention is a pretty physical player for a guard so it would not surprise me if down the line he played the SG, SF and PF spot for the Bobcats. I could see him as kind of a Domako/Howard cross. Still the Bobcats are so thin this year at the power forward and center spot I really see the coaches looking this fall at these spots for their spring recruiting targets.

Where we stand scholarship wise.
We have three seniors, and one open scholarship to fill for a total of four scholarships that will be open. As I have said before typically on average most D-1 schools lose 1-2 players every year to transfer, this is especially true in programs with new coaches as both players and coaches come to realise that they are not a good fit with each other in the new program. As a result I expect 1-2 additional scholarships to open up at season end, and based on what I am seeing on the recruiting trail I think the coaches are too.

One thing to keep a big eye on is that with the one open scholarship right now (as a result of Kavell Bigby-Willians not meeting NCAA eligibility requirements) Fish has stated he would be very interested in landing a drop down transfer recruit (Fish specifically mentioned a possible Pac-12 or Big-10 transfer) at the Christmas/semester break. A lot of transfer players will decide to transfer after their first quarter/semester (usually disappointed with playing time after the start of the new season). These guys can transfer to new schools in January sit out a year practicing with the team and then become eligible the following January (just in time for conference play). As I type this a little over 30 players from around the country have already declaired their intention to transfer and that list will grow very quickly. Fish has said he would be very interested in using Bigby-Williams scholarship to land a transfer who could make an instant impact on the team, so would expect to Fish and his coaches to be looking hard at the transfer list. One has to imagine that they will primarily be looking for big men, but it would not surprise me at all if the signed a pg, sg, or sf, but the player would have to be a very good one!

The coaches are also hitting the high school and JC ranks pretty hard looking for big men and I would expect one or two signings this spring. Here is a guy who the coaches I hear have offered and are VERY high on. I believe he will be a prime target this spring.

Brandon Rosser 6-8 Forward Central Arizona JC 15 points 6 rebounds a game while shooting 54% field goal 34% 3-field goal, Rosser is best described as a stretch power forward who can play inside or out and I think that fits very well into Fish's future plans. Northern Arizona has also offered Rosser along with a couple other team.

I have of a couple other JC big men the Cat's have been showing an interest in but right now Rosser seems to be getting the most interest.

Also keep in mind Kavell Bigby-Williams will not be eligible to play for the Bobcats until 2016-17

And since I have mentioned the 2016 class, the coaches are VERY active in the high school ranks in that class especially in the Seattle and Portland area.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2015 Recruiting (Spring)

Post by wbtfg » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:13 pm

Good to have you back on board, mslacat! Thanks for the info.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:44 pm

Any in state player possibilities in the next couple of years? Or have we all but given up on that?

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:59 pm

The only instate player who I know for a fact the are recruiting (and have offered) is Brendan Howard of Great Falls. I wish they had taken a look at Samuelson and at least offered him. I know many think it may have been a long shot to land him but you should always offer states D-1 players. I am hearing that Billings Skyview Kendall Manual has legit D-1 player potential but given who we signed this fall I am not sure we can afford to spend another scholarship on a guard.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:02 pm

BTW speaking of Montana D-1 players. You wonder after this year whether 7-0 Ryan Edwards will be looking to transfer from Gonzaga

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:07 pm

mslacat wrote:BTW speaking of Montana D-1 players. You wonder after this year whether 7-0 Ryan Edwards will be looking to transfer from Gonzaga
I think I read somewhere that he is redshirting this season???

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:19 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
mslacat wrote:BTW speaking of Montana D-1 players. You wonder after this year whether 7-0 Ryan Edwards will be looking to transfer from Gonzaga
I think I read somewhere that he is redshirting this season???
Yea he is redshirting but you look at the young up and comers on playing this year for Gonzaga I wonder when he expects to get playing time. I also saw him play last year in very limited minutes and he just did not look quick/fast enough to play at that level. I hope he proves me wrong!

duelalumnicat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by duelalumnicat » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:23 pm

For what it is worth, Brendan Howard's parents were at the Utah Valley State game. For those who don't know, the Howards have strong ties to MSU (especially his mom, who played for the Lady Cats), and of course his brother, Bobby played for the Cats as well. Mslacat, do you see Brendan Howard as a 2 or 3? I see that he is listed at 6"3".

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:41 am

Coach Fish and his assistants went back to Oregon this past week to offer a new high school big man recruit. The coaches have offered 6-10ish PF-C Isaiah Robinson from Jefferson High school in Oregon. Robinson is the son of former Portland Trailblazers Cliff Robinson. Robinson is some what of a sleeper this year and has been getting a lot of interest, but no scholarship offeres from the likes of Washington, Washington State, Oregon and Boise State but so far it appears his only other offer is from Cal Bakersfield. Currently it appears his offence still needs a little developemnt as he is averaging about 10 points a game, but last week at the Les Schwab Invintational (featuring numerous of national ranked high school teams) he was named one of the top 8 players on the strength of his rebounding and shot blocking. Robinson is a consistent double digit rebounder and is swatting about 6 shots a game. Robinson played at Camas high school in Oregon last year but transfered to Oregon power Jefferson for his senior year.

http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/ ... next-fall/

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:17 pm

I found this to be an amazing stat from Bobcat recruit target, Isaiah Robinson. In a game last night he scored 13 points, grabbed 11 rebounds, and swatted 13 blocked shots.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:14 pm

Bobcat's have offered 6-7 230 lb JC power forward Kyle Benton. Belton plays this season for San Bernardino Valley JC in California and is averaging 14pts, 8 rbs and shooting 58%FG from the field. Benton played last year for Portland State before transferring to San Bernardino this year. Unlike a couple of the other JC power forwards that I have mentioned before as Bobcat recruits, Belton is more of a traditional interior oriented big man. Belton's game in all interior and has not taken a single 3-point shot this year. As a high school player he averaged 15.9 points and 12.5 rebounds per game for St. Anthony High School in California.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:59 pm

Some interesting recruiting notes.
Over the week end the Bobcats encoraged/invited some recruits to check them out as they played teams close to the recruits home towns. It could not have come at a better time as the Bobcats recorderd their first road sweep in a decade.

Shikei Blake and Logan Kelly of Northeastern JC were in the stadium to checked out the Bobcats as they got their first conference road win Northern Colorado Thursday. Blake is a 6-7, 240lbs old fashion power forward who is averaging 16.1 points 9 rebounds while shooting 64% for Northeastern while Kelly is a shooting guard who is averaging 9 points and 2 rebounds a game. I have heard that the Bobcats have offered Blake a month or so ago, but I am not sure what the status of Kelley is. Blake played for Northern Idaho JC last year and Bobcat assistant Haslam has been following him for quite a while. Blake also has an offer from Delaware State but his stock is rising so more will come. Kelley played a year at Rutgers, I believe as a preferred walk-on.

Jack Hutchinson from Maple Grove high school in Minnesota traveled over and took in the game against North Dakota. Hutchinson is a 6-0 ( maybe a little bigger now) point guard who only a sophomore but Fish has been recruiting almost from the time he took over the Bobcat program. He is a true point guard but is also a deadly shooter from out size. I am told he is friends with current Bobcat signee Sam Neumann

I think Blake is a prime candidate/target for the Bobcats this spring so keep you eye on him. I have said this before That I think Fish will sign at least 2 big men this spring and possibly more.
Hutchinson has to be the Bobcats prime recruit in the 2017 class. I can not name anyone the bobcats are recruiting harder for 2016 OR 2017.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:20 pm

Here is another Recruit that the Bobcats are looking at for this spring and surprise it is another big man.

Amir Smith is a 6-6 205 lb power forward from Ridge Point high school in Houston Texas. This season he is averaging 11 points 11 rebounds 4 blocks a game. He is one of those undersized power forwards that can excel in the Big Sky. Because of his toughness and athleticism. This year he has built a reputation as a shot blocking machine despite being only 6-6ish he makes up for his size with a 35" vertical and great length (for non-basketball types "length" = long arms). His strengths are his Athleticism, Defensive Rebounding, Lateral Quickness, Playing Above The Rim, and Shot Blocking his weakness are reported to be Size (obvious) Ball-Handling and Off-The-Dribble Shooting.

The Bobcats are playing catch up in his recruiting as Rice and Houston Baptist have been on him since the fall. Other schools I have heard are also starting to call. I am not sure the status of his actual offeres, if any or all,from the Bobcats or any other schools.

[youtube][/youtube]

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:20 pm

Here is another Recruit that the Bobcats are looking at for this spring and surprise it is another big man.

Amir Smith is a 6-6 205 lb power forward from Ridge Point high school in Houston Texas. This season he is averaging 11 points 11 rebounds 4 blocks a game. He is one of those undersized power forwards that can excel in the Big Sky. Because of his toughness and athleticism. This year he has built a reputation as a shot blocking machine despite being only 6-6ish he makes up for his size with a 35" vertical and great length (for non-basketball types "length" = long arms). His strengths are his Athleticism, Defensive Rebounding, Lateral Quickness, Playing Above The Rim, and Shot Blocking his weakness are reported to be Size (obvious) Ball-Handling and Off-The-Dribble Shooting.

The Bobcats are playing catch up in his recruiting as Rice and Houston Baptist have been on him since the fall. Other schools I have heard are also starting to call. I am not sure the status of his actual offeres, if any or all,from the Bobcats or any other schools.

[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by mslacat on Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:16 pm

I'm going to post this article just because of the picture. Is Fish going to get any kids built like these kids? The Mercer kid is their point guard and I suppose his weight room data rivals many football players. Just a hunch because I don't have his stats and the same holds true for the Chattanooga kids. We, for whatever reason, seem to have a problem with our basketball players bulking up since Quadre Lollis?

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/spor ... ce/288842/

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:14 pm

Cat Grad wrote:I'm going to post this article just because of the picture. Is Fish going to get any kids built like these kids? The Mercer kid is their point guard and I suppose his weight room data rivals many football players. Just a hunch because I don't have his stats and the same holds true for the Chattanooga kids. We, for whatever reason, seem to have a problem with our basketball players bulking up since Quadre Lollis?

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/spor ... ce/288842/
There are different philosophies in strength conditioning. I don't think you'll see the Bobcats focusing on getting bulky. Stronger, yes, bulky mass, I'd guess no.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:37 pm

Cat Grad wrote: We, for whatever reason, seem to have a problem with our basketball players bulking up since Quadre Lollis?
Whatever do you mean? Check out Eric Norman's guns :wink:

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:54 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote: We, for whatever reason, seem to have a problem with our basketball players bulking up since Quadre Lollis?
Whatever do you mean? Check out Eric Norman's guns :wink:

Wow! The weight room is definitely not part of his schedule.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:06 pm

I find this interesting given Fish signed 3 high school and 1 JC recruit this past fall. As of right now technically all of the Bobcat scholarships are filled for next year with these 4 recruits and IF all underclass men return. That "IF" will not happen and I feel certain that Fish will sign at least two big men this spring. All of the Bobcat spring of 2015 recruiting scuttlebutt and rumors have centered around Big men mostly JC prospects but also a few high school big men. Today JucoJunction is reporting that the Bobcats have offered 5-10 point guard Brandon Brown of Phoenix JC in Arizona. Brown also has offers from Drake Loyola Marymount, Portland State, Northern Arizona, St Mary's and Utah State. This year Brown is averaging 24 points, 4 rebounds, 6 assists while shooting 46% from the field and 40% from three point range. Last year Brown was also named first team NJCAA D-2 national team. Brown is the only JC guard prospect that I have even heard a whisper about the Bobcats had interest in but he is a darn good one, and In my opinion you can't have too many quality point guards. Now there is a chance he is actually a Griz recruit, as Rivals has a long history of getting those pesky Montana Schools mixed up, but time will tell. If the Bobcats do sign Brown or any other guard this spring I feel confident in saying it will be on top of signing 2-3 new big men.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:52 am

Who do you think will be gone mslacat?

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast