Alumni game (Sept. 20)

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Alumni game (Sept. 20)

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:21 pm

BOZEMAN, Mont. – It’s been a long time since Stu Starner has stalked the sidelines of Worthington Arena, but for an hour or so this fall he will be back.

So will a number of former Bobcat men’s basketball players, when Montana State hosts an Alumni Game on September 20 at 10 am. The Alumni Weekend coincides with Homecoming for Montana State University and the Bobcat football team, and first-year MSU coach Brian Fish said the response has been tremendous.

“I’ve talked to a number of players, and whether they can attend this year or not they are fired up,” Fish said. “It’s a way for our program to re-connect with its great tradition, and to connect players who contributed so much to our program.”

Fish indicated that he has over 25 commitments, but the names of players planning to attend won’t be released until early September. Starner, who helped lead the Bobcats to one Big Sky regular season and one Big Sky tournament championship as head coach from 1983-90, will coach one of the teams.

Former players looking for more information or interested in attending should contact Mandy Patriarche at mpatriarche@msubobcats.com.

#GoCatsGo

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Alumni game (Sept. 20)

Post by CelticCat » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:47 am

That's actually pretty cool!

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:24 pm

TomCat88 wrote: when Montana State hosts an Alumni Game on September 20 at 10 am. The Alumni Weekend coincides with Homecoming for Montana State University and the Bobcat football team
Umm, isn't homecoming the weekend of the 27th?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:19 am

kmax wrote:
TomCat88 wrote: when Montana State hosts an Alumni Game on September 20 at 10 am. The Alumni Weekend coincides with Homecoming for Montana State University and the Bobcat football team
Umm, isn't homecoming the weekend of the 27th?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
It is. When the original MSU press release came out it had the Alumni game on the 27th. I posted it here, then MSU asked me to change the date, but they didn't mention that the 20th is the EWU game and I didn't bother to look. I see they've now changed their press release to reflect that. So instead of 27th with homecoming, it's the 20th with EWU. Sorry for providing confusion.

http://www.msubobcats.com/news/2014/8/1 ... 40124.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Montana State hosts an Alumni Game on September 20 at 10 am. The Alumni Weekend coincides with Montana State University hosting Eastern Washington in football

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:53 am

Thanks Tom, that makes more sense.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:43 pm

BOZEMAN, Mont. – Scott Hatler dished out more assists than any Bobcat in history as a Montana State point guard in the early 1990s. In a couple weekends he’ll gladly hand out a couple more.

Hatler, the Great Falls High product whose 608 assists from 1992-96 remains a Bobcat record and was the second-most in Big Sky history upon his graduation, joins more than 50 other former Bobcats for Montana State’s first Alumni Game. Former Bobcats ranging from 1943 (Dean Robertson) to recent stars such as Nick Dissly and Mecklen Davis, take the court in newly-renovated Worthington Arena on September 20 at 10 am.

Reconnecting Montana State’s basketball tradition with its present, Hatler said, is attracting a lot of former Bobcats back to campus. “I think it will be great for all the past players to be able to spend time and get to know current Bobcats on a more personal level,” he said. “What Coach (Brian) Fish is doing with this event should bring a lot of excitement to Bobcat Basketball and is one of the steps to rebuilding this program.”

Hatler, who also finished his career with 176 three-point field goals, may have the opportunity to team with some familiar names from the halcyon days of the mid-‘90s. Fellow members of MSU’s 1996 Big Sky Championship squad planning to suit up on September 20 include Nico Harrison, Scott Harry, Adam Leachman and Danny Sullivan.

Renovations to the home arena for Montana State basketball since 1957 is also a lure for the programs former players. “I’m looking forward to seeing the updates to Brick Breeden (Fieldhouse),” said Hatler, whose Bobcat teams regularly played in front of large and enthusiastic home crowds. “I spoke with Danny Robison, and he was really enthusiastic about the changes.”

Hatler headlines an impressive list of guards lining up for the Bobcat alumni. He may have the opportunity to feed Carlos Taylor, whose 544 points for the Cats in 2008 was the most by any Bobcat guard in a season since the late Craig Finberg poured in 579 in 1978, and slick-shooting Harry Heineken, who scored 479 points for the Cats in 1981. Those guards will have to contend with Casey Durham, a third-generation Bobcat himself who rolled up 145 steals in his outstanding career.

The MSU Alumni Basketball Game, with introductions of former Bobcats beginning at 10 am in Worthington Arena on September 20, is free and open to the public.

toM StUber

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:30 pm

TomCat88 wrote:BOZEMAN, Mont. – Scott Hatler dished out more assists than any Bobcat in history as a Montana State point guard in the early 1990s. In a couple weekends he’ll gladly hand out a couple more.

Hatler, the Great Falls High product whose 608 assists from 1992-96 remains a Bobcat record and was the second-most in Big Sky history upon his graduation, joins more than 50 other former Bobcats for Montana State’s first Alumni Game. Former Bobcats ranging from 1943 (Dean Robertson) to recent stars such as Nick Dissly and Mecklen Davis, take the court in newly-renovated Worthington Arena on September 20 at 10 am.

Reconnecting Montana State’s basketball tradition with its present, Hatler said, is attracting a lot of former Bobcats back to campus. “I think it will be great for all the past players to be able to spend time and get to know current Bobcats on a more personal level,” he said. “What Coach (Brian) Fish is doing with this event should bring a lot of excitement to Bobcat Basketball and is one of the steps to rebuilding this program.”

Hatler, who also finished his career with 176 three-point field goals, may have the opportunity to team with some familiar names from the halcyon days of the mid-‘90s. Fellow members of MSU’s 1996 Big Sky Championship squad planning to suit up on September 20 include Nico Harrison, Scott Harry, Adam Leachman and Danny Sullivan.

Renovations to the home arena for Montana State basketball since 1957 is also a lure for the programs former players. “I’m looking forward to seeing the updates to Brick Breeden (Fieldhouse),” said Hatler, whose Bobcat teams regularly played in front of large and enthusiastic home crowds. “I spoke with Danny Robison, and he was really enthusiastic about the changes.”

Hatler headlines an impressive list of guards lining up for the Bobcat alumni. He may have the opportunity to feed Carlos Taylor, whose 544 points for the Cats in 2008 was the most by any Bobcat guard in a season since the late Craig Finberg poured in 579 in 1978, and slick-shooting Harry Heineken, who scored 479 points for the Cats in 1981. Those guards will have to contend with Casey Durham, a third-generation Bobcat himself who rolled up 145 steals in his outstanding career.

The MSU Alumni Basketball Game, with introductions of former Bobcats beginning at 10 am in Worthington Arena on September 20, is free and open to the public.

Cool! We may have to plan on going to that...

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:38 pm

I am kind of bummed I have not seen the names Domako or Ferch mentioned. Hey Tom I'll drive you down!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:02 pm

over/under john lazosky shots taken? i'll set the line at 18.5. :wink:

seriously though...this is a cool idea.

Domako
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Domako » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:51 pm

mslacat wrote:I am kind of bummed I have not seen the names Domako or Ferch mentioned. Hey Tom I'll drive you down!
I'll be there, the Ferch's won't make it. My daughter is a freshman at MSU this year. I feel it is my duty to go embarrass her.

Tom Domako

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:46 pm

According to the roster Gidal posted on Twitter, Craig Kilbourn will be there.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:09 pm

Is Dean Alexander doing the broadcast?

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:08 pm

wbtfg wrote:Is Dean Alexander doing the broadcast?
That would be fun. He was a great one.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

ImagineSanta
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ImagineSanta » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:52 pm

Will Eric Curry be reffing?

I think you don't get it. Sleeping in until 6 won't get many people very far in life, especially if they want to play on Sunday.
-Cat Grad

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:10 pm

ImagineSanta wrote:Will Eric Curry be reffing?
Leave.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:27 pm

I'm considering tailgating for this thing. Breakfast/Bloody Mary type thing. This could turn out to be an interesting day.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:51 pm

What is the format of the game? Is it alumni against alumni...or Alumni against present players. Or is it a mixture of both?

2024 Resume dominance

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:44 pm

Helcat72 wrote:What is the format of the game? Is it alumni against alumni...or Alumni against present players. Or is it a mixture of both?
Two alumni teams each coached by a different coach. The team was "drafted" into two teams so each team will be a mixture of different years.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:14 am

Fun game, nice to see some of the old players. Wonderful start to a memorable day on campus.

Fish was a lot of fun to watch. I think we got a good one in him. For the first time in one heck of a long time, I'm checking the basketball schedule (during football season to boot!) to figure out which games I can attend.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:47 am

I was a fun game to watch most everyone took it pretty lightly but no one wanted to embarrassed. I was real happy to see how many guys who don't live even close to Bozeman came to play or be in attendance. Last time I saw Clamon Jacobs playing in the brick he was rolling on the floor with his 3rd ACL injury. I told Starner I did not want a repeat performance. I think this was a great event to get generate interest again in the program, now we need to put a respectable, fun team on the floor and build from there.