Moving Forward: Recruiting

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Moving Forward: Recruiting

Post by mslacat » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:42 pm

We lost Nehme but hopefully we will not lose Bigby-William or Fisher. While I believe Nehme could have made an impact next year this is the price we pay for making a change in coaching. It is a setback but hopefully the change will pay big dividends down the line. For people wanting to assign blame do not bother, where a kid goes to college is one of the most important decisions of their life, and he has to do what is best for him. It is time to move forward.

Today is the first day of the spring recruiting period which last month technically, buy in actuality we now can sign 2014 recruits from today until school starts.

There is a slight chance MSU will announce a signing today or tomorrow. I have heard rumblings that sounded like a jc recruit might be ready to commit. Aside from that there actually could be some announcements early next week if all goes well this week-end. I am actually pretty surprised about how active and fairly successful Fish has been in getting out there and finding recruits at this late date. I also think Haslam has been a big help keeping some of his recruits interested during the transition. This will be a big week end I am hearing quite a few recruits will be in this week end, and 1 or 2 might pop for MSU if every goes well.

It appears Fish is mainly looking at high school recruits BUT some of Haslam’s recruits are JC who we are still involved with. The JC appear to be 6-5 to 6-7 Flaven Davis type player. Fish seems to be looking at the best high school players he can get regardless of position. I have heard he has been on the phone talking to contacts/scouts from the east coast to the west coast looking for sleeper player (similar to what Huse did when he found Rush and Piepoli). The one thing attribute all of Fish’s recruits seem to have despite their position is athleticism. Here are some of the players I have heard he has offered and will be coming in for a visit soon.

Zach Green 6-5(ish) Mesquite HS in Arizona. He is a very similar player to Ghasssan Nehme great outside shooter and can drive to the basket. Was getting a lot of attention last fall but broke his leg before his senior season started and kind of disappeared from the recruiting radar. People in Arizona call him a big time sleeper. He will be this week-end for a trip. Idaho State and N. Colorado are also involved.

Here is some video on Green, but remember this is from his junior year.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Duby Maduegbunam 6-5(ish) Kimball Union Academy N.H.. Duby is originally from Nigeria and his brother plays for Penn. He is also a sharp shooting guard forward but is also a very strong and physical guard (215 lbs). He is also very athletic and what coaches love “long” . He has a trip set up for MSU this week or next and also a trip set up with Appalachian State. North Carolina Central, St. Bonaventure, Lehigh, Davidson, and Bucknell have all shown an interest. He averaged 15pts & 7 rbs for a very strong team in the New England prep school league.

Here is some video on Duby

Quinn Price 6-9 PF/C Vista Grande HS (AZ) Quinn also found himself injured this season with a broken finger but still went on to average 15points, 10 rebounds 4 blocks while shooting 55%fg this past season. Here are some separate quotes from some scouts on him.
“Fairly athletic five man, long arms, can run, moves ok without the ball, good shot blocker, capable rebounder, needs more offense.”
“Major shot blocker & a DI prospect”
Now comes the big mystery: Montana State seems to be the only D-1 school to have offered the guy. You know 6-9, athletic and a shot blocker don’t grow on trees even if his offence needs some refining. He has the grades, but it hard for me to imagine a broken pinky finger would scare off even the Big Sky level D-1 schools.

Here is his video

Torin Washington 6-7 McHenry CC in IL. I have heard that he has narrowed his choices to Montana State and Chicago State. He is a physical athletic inside player who is considered a late bloomer. He just came into his own this season and averaged 15 points & 11 rebounds a game while shooting 53% from the field. He is a very good rebounder. I have heard he leaning heavily towards MSU, but needs to take a visit. He ranked as the 96th ranked JC player in the country by one Juco scouting service.

Cornell Barnett 6-7 combo forward from Blinn JC Cal State Fullerton (Danny Sprinkle) U Texas, San Antonio, East Tennessee are also involved averaged 9 points 7 rebounds. I don’t think we have offered.

Khapri Alston 6-5 PF from NE Community College A very athletic tough undersized power forward in the mold of Flaven Davis. He averaged 15 points 8 rebounds a game last season. Montana State has been recruiting him since this past fall. Southern Utah, UC Riverside, Portland State are interested.

There are a few more smallish JC PF’s but these are the ones that I think we are still recruiting since Huse left. I also believe this just scratches the surface of the high school players Fish is looking at. Again I think we have 3-4 or more recruits in this week so we might start hearing things early this week. Lets find out how good of a recruiter Fish is.

vike_king
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Moving Forward: Recruiting

Post by vike_king » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:04 pm

Good luck to coach in his recruiting!
Last edited by vike_king on Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:32 pm

mslacat wrote:We lost Nehme but hopefully we will not lose Bigby-William or Fisher. While I believe Nehme could have made an impact next year this is the price we pay for making a change in coaching. It is a setback but hopefully the change will pay big dividends down the line. For people wanting to assign blame do not bother, where a kid goes to college is one of the most important decisions of their life, and he has to do what is best for him. It is time to move forward.

Today is the first day of the spring recruiting period which last month technically, buy in actuality we now can sign 2014 recruits from today until school starts.

There is a slight chance MSU will announce a signing today or tomorrow. I have heard rumblings that sounded like a jc recruit might be ready to commit. Aside from that there actually could be some announcements early next week if all goes well this week-end. I am actually pretty surprised about how active and fairly successful Fish has been in getting out there and finding recruits at this late date. I also think Haslam has been a big help keeping some of his recruits interested during the transition. This will be a big week end I am hearing quite a few recruits will be in this week end, and 1 or 2 might pop for MSU if every goes well.

It appears Fish is mainly looking at high school recruits BUT some of Haslam’s recruits are JC who we are still involved with. The JC appear to be 6-5 to 6-7 Flaven Davis type player. Fish seems to be looking at the best high school players he can get regardless of position. I have heard he has been on the phone talking to contacts/scouts from the east coast to the west coast looking for sleeper player (similar to what Huse did when he found Rush and Piepoli). The one thing attribute all of Fish’s recruits seem to have despite their position is athleticism. Here are some of the players I have heard he has offered and will be coming in for a visit soon.

Zach Green 6-5(ish) Mesquite HS in Arizona. He is a very similar player to Ghasssan Nehme great outside shooter and can drive to the basket. Was getting a lot of attention last fall but broke his leg before his senior season started and kind of disappeared from the recruiting radar. People in Arizona call him a big time sleeper. He will be this week-end for a trip. Idaho State and N. Colorado are also involved.

Here is some video on Green, but remember this is from his junior year.

Duby Maduegbunam 6-5(ish) Kimball Union Academy N.H.. Duby is originally from Nigeria and his brother plays for Penn. He is also a sharp shooting guard forward but is also a very strong and physical guard (215 lbs). He is also very athletic and what coaches love “long” . He has a trip set up for MSU this week or next and also a trip set up with Appalachian State. North Carolina Central, St. Bonaventure, Lehigh, Davidson, and Bucknell have all shown an interest. He averaged 15pts & 7 rbs for a very strong team in the New England prep school league.

Here is some video on Duby

Quinn Price 6-9 PF/C Vista Grande HS (AZ) Quinn also found himself injured this season with a broken finger but still went on to average 15points, 10 rebounds 4 blocks while shooting 55%fg this past season. Here are some separate quotes from some scouts on him.
“Fairly athletic five man, long arms, can run, moves ok without the ball, good shot blocker, capable rebounder, needs more offense.”
“Major shot blocker & a DI prospect”
Now comes the big mystery: Montana State seems to be the only D-1 school to have offered the guy. You know 6-9, athletic and a shot blocker don’t grow on trees even if his offence needs some refining. He has the grades, but it hard for me to imagine a broken pinky finger would scare off even the Big Sky level D-1 schools.

Here is his video

Torin Washington 6-7 McHenry CC in IL. I have heard that he has narrowed his choices to Montana State and Chicago State. He is a physical athletic inside player who is considered a late bloomer. He just came into his own this season and averaged 15 points & 11 rebounds a game while shooting 53% from the field. He is a very good rebounder. I have heard he leaning heavily towards MSU, but needs to take a visit. He ranked as the 96th ranked JC player in the country by one Juco scouting service.

Cornell Barnett 6-7 combo forward from Blinn JC Cal State Fullerton (Danny Sprinkle) U Texas, San Antonio, East Tennessee are also involved averaged 9 points 7 rebounds. I don’t think we have offered.

Khapri Alston 6-5 PF from NE Community College A very athletic tough undersized power forward in the mold of Flaven Davis. He averaged 15 points 8 rebounds a game last season. Montana State has been recruiting him since this past fall. Southern Utah, UC Riverside, Portland State are interested.

There are a few more smallish JC PF’s but these are the ones that I think we are still recruiting since Huse left. I also believe this just scratches the surface of the high school players Fish is looking at. Again I think we have 3-4 or more recruits in this week so we might start hearing things early this week. Lets find out how good of a recruiter Fish is.
Green and Price will be on official visits this weekend, along with a JC player from Arizona who I'm not sure the name of. They will get here tomorrow night and stay until Saturday evening, home in time for Easter.

Probably won't see any signings until after then.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:50 pm

Here's some feedback from an Arizona insider on the recruits who are on visits... This man wanted to remain anonymous, but he is familiar with the MSU program and the Big Sky. His son was recruited by Huse and he's connected across the league....
Heavily involved with talent in Arizona…

6’9 Price is not even good Division 2, talent on a horrible team and one of the weakest 5A programs in the state. Robinson – Mlscat, does not know AZ basketball, we have a huge 6’7” – 6’9” prospects, they don’t end up in the Big Sky. Price I’m still almost in shock he would warrant a trip. His HS coach was once a long time Ago D1 assistant at Iowa State and failed. Failed at Chandler Gilbert CC, was fired and now a HS coach at Vista Verde – Casa Grande and both HS are very bad.

As for Green, noted 6’5 not even 6’4 with extenders and yes broke ankle, but not even in the top 25 5A players in Arizona 5A class. If he was that good, why did NAU and Grand Canyon not offer? He isn't a D-I guy either and it's not close.
If this is the Brian Fish recruiting starting out, the MSU program is in huge, huge trouble. As for the JUCO kid coming, love to see who that is. I hadn't heard that.

Main thing is Alleigiant Air is cheap from Mesa to Bozeman…. If they come they will be gone a year from now. Neither are Division 1 talent. MSU is not spending a lot on this visit. Big Sky coaches will laugh if any of these kids are signed. Good friend of assistant at Weber State, who controls AZ, his comment to me was that is MSU, we at Weber would say not a chance.
Just thought I'd pass this along...

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:45 pm

North Dakota also offered Price.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:52 pm

Quinn Price committed
Gregg Rosenberg ‏@GreggRosenberg1 35m
Congrats to 2014 6 8 PF Quinn Price for signing with Montana State. @ArizonaVarsity
Expand

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:08 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:Here's some feedback from an Arizona insider on the recruits who are on visits... This man wanted to remain anonymous, but he is familiar with the MSU program and the Big Sky. His son was recruited by Huse and he's connected across the league....

6’9 Price is not even good Division 2, talent on a horrible team and one of the weakest 5A programs in the state. Robinson – Mlscat, does not know AZ basketball, we have a huge 6’7” – 6’9” prospects, they don’t end up in the Big Sky. Price I’m still almost in shock he would warrant a trip. His HS coach was once a long time Ago D1 assistant at Iowa State and failed. Failed at Chandler Gilbert CC, was fired and now a HS coach at Vista Verde – Casa Grande and both HS are very bad.

As for Green, noted 6’5 not even 6’4 with extenders and yes broke ankle, but not even in the top 25 5A players in Arizona 5A class. If he was that good, why did NAU and Grand Canyon not offer? He isn't a D-I guy either and it's not close.
If this is the Brian Fish recruiting starting out, the MSU program is in huge, huge trouble. As for the JUCO kid coming, love to see who that is. I hadn't heard that.

Main thing is Alleigiant Air is cheap from Mesa to Bozeman…. If they come they will be gone a year from now. Neither are Division 1 talent. MSU is not spending a lot on this visit. Big Sky coaches will laugh if any of these kids are signed. Good friend of assistant at Weber State, who controls AZ, his comment to me was that is MSU, we at Weber would say not a chance.
Son was recruited from Arizona...hmmm. I'm wondering if his son is the kid that was supposed to be really good and even committed here because he wanted to be a "big fish in a small pond" and then decommitted and went somewhere else. I'm spacing on his name but I remember that situation quite vividly.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:14 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:Here's some feedback from an Arizona insider on the recruits who are on visits... This man wanted to remain anonymous, but he is familiar with the MSU program and the Big Sky. His son was recruited by Huse and he's connected across the league....

Son was recruited from Arizona...hmmm. I'm wondering if his son is the kid that was supposed to be really good and even committed here because he wanted to be a "big fish in a small pond" and then decommitted and went somewhere else. I'm spacing on his name but I remember that situation quite vividly.
Tyler Miller?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?sec ... id=2942904" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:16 pm

Bozcat003 wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:

Tyler Miller?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?sec ... id=2942904" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's the one. Thanks!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:10 am

Welcome to Quinn Price, hopefully Green signs too. I'll go ahead and trust Coach Fish's opinion on players at this point over a possibly disgruntled parent of a former recruit, especially if it's the one who thought he was signing up to be the Michael Jordan of the Big Sky Conference.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:59 am

MSU01 wrote:Welcome to Quinn Price, hopefully Green signs too. I'll go ahead and trust Coach Fish's opinion on players at this point over a possibly disgruntled parent of a former recruit, especially if it's the one who thought he was signing up to be the Michael Jordan of the Big Sky Conference.
I'm not saying it's the same guy; it just sounded very similar.
That whole thing with Miller was weird, though. He even ended up going to UM-W if not mistaken. Not sure why he spurned Huse for an NAIA school if he was so good.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:29 pm

6-4 G Zach Green just announced on his Twitter account that he had committed to the Bobcats.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:41 pm

Well I'd take a ho-hum recruit that turns into a solid player down the line than a highly touted recruit who Huse suffocated into a ho-hum player.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:49 pm

http://arizonapreps.com/zach-green-take ... mer-months" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure how Big Sky coaches would "laugh" if they signed this kid, when this website reported he had offers from UNC and ISU. Yes this is before his senior season and before he broke his ankle, but it doesn't sound like he is a laughable D1 prospect to me.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:37 pm

CelticCat wrote:http://arizonapreps.com/zach-green-take ... mer-months

Not sure how Big Sky coaches would "laugh" if they signed this kid, when this website reported he had offers from UNC and ISU. Yes this is before his senior season and before he broke his ankle, but it doesn't sound like he is a laughable D1 prospect to me.
When the word got out last week that Green was tripping to MSU, Northern Colorado called and re-offered him before he left for Bozeman.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:23 pm

CelticCat wrote:http://arizonapreps.com/zach-green-take ... mer-months

Because that guy's a goon. If he doesn't pan out, oh well. I love your ho-hum reasoning as well.

Gidal Kaiser
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Gidal Kaiser » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:56 am

WEEKEND CATCH: Fish reels in first recruits http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/sp ... 963f4.html

Info for preps, MSU men's basketball & MSU Olympic sports shows up here first: http://twitter.com/gidal_kaiser" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Blue & Gold Blog: http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/app/msu-bobcats/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:14 am

When will they officially sign a loi?

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:54 am

Lot of offers for guys that aren't D1 talent.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:07 am

wbtfg wrote:When will they officially sign a loi?
Letters of Intent will become official on Wednesday, hence why I haven't posted a story yet. Neither player wanted to talk until he officially signed.