Fields of Fortune

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cat-theotherwhitemeat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Fields of Fortune

Post by Cat-theotherwhitemeat » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:05 am

Is it me, or do the Bobcats play better on artificial surfaces? It seems they are built for speed and the playing surface could be as important as anything when the Cats take the field. They won last weekend on turf, lost three games at home on natural grass, won at Colorado although I'm not sure what kind of surface they play on. Hmmmm. :unsure:

Is there some connection? As a Griz fan this concerns me because of the SprinTurf at WGS. Plus it's an away game for you guys. :shock:

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:14 am

CTOWM,
I do think that you've got a good point. I've contended for some time on other threads that the crown on our stadium field has hurt the timing and accuracy of our passing game. We practice on a flat field, but play on a field with a healthy-sized crown. It will throw you off as a QB.

Now you raise the turf issue. We recruit for speed, and we need a playing surface that plays to that strength. If I remember right, the field at CU was natural grass, but to me it seemed cut a little shorter, and not as severe a crown.

Both teams play on the same field, so no excuses. We've just got to find a way to take better advantage of home-field.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Re: Fields of Fortune

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:14 am

Cat-theotherwhitemeat wrote:Is it me, or do the Bobcats play better on artificial surfaces? It seems they are built for speed and the playing surface could be as important as anything when the Cats take the field. They won last weekend on turf, lost three games at home on natural grass, won at Colorado although I'm not sure what kind of surface they play on. Hmmmm. :unsure:

Is there some connection? As a Griz fan this concerns me because of the SprinTurf at WGS. Plus it's an away game for you guys. :shock:
I don't think there is any connection based mainly on what the Cats did to the Griz last year on a muddy field. So you can rest easy ;)

torrybruce
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by torrybruce » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:20 am

HelenaCat95 wrote:CTOWM,
I do think that you've got a good point. I've contended for some time on other threads that the crown on our stadium field has hurt the timing and accuracy of our passing game. We practice on a flat field, but play on a field with a healthy-sized crown. It will throw you off as a QB.

Now you raise the turf issue. We recruit for speed, and we need a playing surface that plays to that strength. If I remember right, the field at CU was natural grass, but to me it seemed cut a little shorter, and not as severe a crown.

Both teams play on the same field, so no excuses. We've just got to find a way to take better advantage of home-field.
HC95,

I would agree with the crown issue. That's going to effect the out passes which have been our most successful passes as we have gone through the years. The middle isn't effected as much, but the crown can throw things off a little.

Once an Eagle...now a Bobcat...at least I was never a Grizzly.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:24 am

I'm probably in the minority on BN, but would love to see SprintTurf in Bobcat Stadium, and I do think our defense especially has been built on speed for the past several years. Does anyone have $750,000 in loose change?? Where is our Cliffy Edwards?

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:39 am

WalkOn79 wrote:I'm probably in the minority on BN, but would love to see SprintTurf in Bobcat Stadium, and I do think our defense especially has been built on speed for the past several years. Does anyone have $750,000 in loose change?? Where is our Cliffy Edwards?
I hate to admit it, but I'm with you on that. I think the other advantage of this (besides speed) is that we can practice on the exact field that we play on. SprintTurf won't wear out, so we can practice in the stadium as much as we want and not worry about the condition of the playing surface on Saturday.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:44 am

HelenaCat95 wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:I'm probably in the minority on BN, but would love to see SprintTurf in Bobcat Stadium, and I do think our defense especially has been built on speed for the past several years. Does anyone have $750,000 in loose change?? Where is our Cliffy Edwards?
I hate to admit it, but I'm with you on that. I think the other advantage of this (besides speed) is that we can practice on the exact field that we play on. SprintTurf won't wear out, so we can practice in the stadium as much as we want and not worry about the condition of the playing surface on Saturday.
I LOVE grass, but that is a great point as far as practicing goes. However, we'll have our new indoor practice facility soon :) I resisted before, but maybe it is time to get SprintTurf just so we can stay consistent with what we practice on etc. The natural Grass is so nice though. Hmmmm

BobcatNation Letterman

Post by #34 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:03 am

Is there any hard evidence that injuries are more prevalent on either natural grass or SprinTurf?

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:05 am

#34 wrote:Is there any hard evidence that injuries are more prevalent on either natural grass or SprinTurf?
This is an internet chat board. We don't know what "hard evidence" is.
:wink:
just kidding everyone

truecat92
New Recruit

Post by truecat92 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:07 am

If you recruit the best athletes, you will be quicker than the opponent. It is a known fact that fast teams can not utilize that speed on grass. Remember the "Greatest Show on Turf." When they went into Carolina on grass, they would struggle, but they were virtually unbeatable on turf. All I know is, that our guys looked a lot faster at NAU and Colorado than against UC Davis and Chadron State. The turf might have something to do with it, or we just suck at home.

DriftCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriftCat » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:09 am

I would love to see the Johnny turf in Bozeman. I am also looking into getting it to replace my grass at home. Talk about low maintinence!

PDXKat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by PDXKat » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:13 am

truecat92 wrote:If you recruit the best athletes, you will be quicker than the opponent. It is a known fact that fast teams can not utilize that speed on grass. Remember the "Greatest Show on Turf." When they went into Carolina on grass, they would struggle, but they were virtually unbeatable on turf. All I know is, that our guys looked a lot faster at NAU and Colorado than against UC Davis and Chadron State. The turf might have something to do with it, or we just suck at home.
Reminder - Colorado is natural grass.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:14 am

#34 wrote:Is there any hard evidence that injuries are more prevalent on either natural grass or SprinTurf?
I think SprintTurf reacts alot like grass as far as contact and non-contact injury potential. Lightyears ahead of the old concrete AstroTurf.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz