JC vs IA

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

JC or IA?

JC
29%
IA
71%

Total votes: 21

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

JC vs IA

Post by CelticCat » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:59 pm

I posted this over on egriz (on a thread where our JC transferred are bashed, big surprise), and it got me thinking.

Which transfer, on average, is better? The JC, or the IA?

Consider these facts:
JC:
1. Every JC we've ever recruited was a starter. Often times for more than a year. They bring experience.
2. Attidude - can go both ways. They were either a star at their JC and think they will be a star here, or they wanted to challenge themselves and put in the effort to be a D1 star.

IA:
1. Half of the IA transfers have never started more than 2 or 3 games in his collegiate career.
2. They believe they are moving down in talent levels, and many of them think they can dominate without any extra work than they were putting up at the IA level. I've seen it too many times.

JC is basically a big pool of players who didn't get their shot out of high school, and are looking to make a name for themselves.

IA guys couldn't cut it at the highest level of college football (sometimes for reasons beyond their control), and are moving down (yes, we are below them). You could almost view them as high school recruits with less eligibility left, and less value than their high school stock.

So if you had to choose between the typical JC transfer or the typical IA one, which would you choose? (I mean your normal JC transfer (who is usually a star), or your normal IA transfer (who is usually buried on the depth chart)).

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:28 pm

IA-No question: Only one or two of Kramer's first 35 (YES 35) JC transfers contributed anything. Yes, I used to track this stuff. Once he started winning his percentage got a lot better. Look back at those early JC's (2000, 2001 and 2002) and it was pretty bad. He is doing better lately.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

Cat Pride
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat Pride » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:49 pm

I wish there was a neither option. Build it with high school kids!

But, I know that is not an option, and I'd much rather see dropdowns than JCs for the same reasons gtapp said. I havent seen much luck with our JCs making contributions lately.

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by GOKATS » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:09 pm

I voted IA, and I think they'll become more valuable now that they have to have at least two years of eligibilty remaining to drop down.

This is no reflection on the one year dropdowns we've had in the past or currently have.

FTG!!
[quote="GrizinWashington"]The Griz suck.
[quote=" tampa_griz"] (because China isn't a part of "Asia") .....

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Re: JC vs IA

Post by LTown Cat » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:29 pm

[quote="CelticCat"]JC is basically a big pool of players who didn't get their shot out of high school, and are looking to make a name for themselves./quote]

Or couldn't make grades, or got in trouble with the law?????

I voted I-A because at least for the most part they have proven that they can handle the classroom aspect of college sports. A lot of guys go to JC's to make themselves eligible, academically for college. C'mon, how hard is high school?

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:53 pm

LTown Cat wrote:
CelticCat wrote:JC is basically a big pool of players who didn't get their shot out of high school, and are looking to make a name for themselves.

I voted I-A because at least for the most part they have proven that they can handle the classroom aspect of college sports. A lot of guys go to JC's to make themselves eligible, academically for college. C'mon, how hard is high school?
Yes but a lot of IA's transfer with a LOT of baggage.

Last few years JCs that have had an impact:
Grenfell
Milton (injured but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt)
Guinn
Corkey Lindsey
Gatewood
Sullivan
Figuerora
Gathing
I'm sure there are a few I am forgetting.

And of course you'll get better JC recruits with a winning program. Same with IA recruits, and high school recruits.

I don't know which way I lean, but since most of you seem to be all for the IA dropdowns, I thought I'd try to argue for arguments sake.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:25 pm

CelticCat wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
CelticCat wrote:JC is basically a big pool of players who didn't get their shot out of high school, and are looking to make a name for themselves.

Yes but a lot of IA's transfer with a LOT of baggage.

Last few years JCs that have had an impact:
Grenfell
Milton (injured but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt)
Guinn
Corkey Lindsey
Gatewood
Sullivan
Figuerora
Gathing
I'm sure there are a few I am forgetting.

And of course you'll get better JC recruits with a winning program. Same with IA recruits, and high school recruits.

I don't know which way I lean, but since most of you seem to be all for the IA dropdowns, I thought I'd try to argue for arguments sake.
True, and I guess you can't argue with success.