MBB: The true Freshman

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

MBB: The true Freshman

Post by mslacat » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:08 pm

I have been talking with folks and it really sounds like our true Freshman (Derochowski, Rush, and Piepolni) have come in this summer and blew a hole in the plans of the coaching staff. I had heard from Huse in June - before the players made it on to campus- that he really wanted to redshirt two of the freshman. From the play of these three freshman though, Huse could have some tough choices to make come about November 1st. Now a couple "older" player did show up a little out of shape, which may have helped the freshmen's cause a little, but across the board I hear the coaches and booster were/are very surprised by what these guy's brought to campus.
In defense of the older players it must be noted that in the summer the guy's are playing a much more loosey goosey form of basketball than they will once Huse and the coaches take over come November, but I think the freshman have thrown down the gauntlet and will not take a redshirt without a fight.

Just on another note: I have heard some very good things about Ted Morris. I am told he looks a little lighter, but much more fit (something about a spare tire is gone) and it sounds like he has taken a quite leadership role. Not so much on the court but by example, especially with the younger big men.
Durr I am told looks a little bigger and has taken well to the weight room.
Chawn has also appeared to have taken to the weight program. His weight looks the same but much harder in the shoulders and neck area.
Travis Derochowski: Is huge, ripped, physically does not look at all like a freshman.

longhorn_22
Golden Bobcat

Post by longhorn_22 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:02 pm

Thanks again for the updates. I can't wait to see what these guys can do for us. I think we have quite a few special players on our hands.

catmom
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: MBB: The true Freshman

Post by catmom » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:36 pm

mslacat wrote:I have been talking with folks and it really sounds like our true Freshman (Derochowski, Rush, and Piepolni) have come in this summer and blew a hole in the plans of the coaching staff. I had heard from Huse in June - before the players made it on to campus- that he really wanted to redshirt two of the freshman. From the play of these three freshman though, Huse could have some tough choices to make come about November 1st. Now a couple "older" player did show up a little out of shape, which may have helped the freshmen's cause a little, but across the board I hear the coaches and booster were/are very surprised by what these guy's brought to campus.
In defense of the older players it must be noted that in the summer the guy's are playing a much more loosey goosey form of basketball than they will once Huse and the coaches take over come November, but I think the freshman have thrown down the gauntlet and will not take a redshirt without a fight.

Just on another note: I have heard some very good things about Ted Morris. I am told he looks a little lighter, but much more fit (something about a spare tire is gone) and it sounds like he has taken a quite leadership role. Not so much on the court but by example, especially with the younger big men.
Durr I am told looks a little bigger and has taken well to the weight room.
Chawn has also appeared to have taken to the weight program. His weight looks the same but much harder in the shoulders and neck area.
Travis Derochowski: Is huge, ripped, physically does not look at all like a freshman.
Travis is a very big boy and I was very suprised he was a freshman. Very nice young man.

The big question with Chawn was his knee. He had surgery on it last year and they were worried it wouldn't be up to par. Well, I can tell you that it is going very well (I ask him almost every day). He said it feels really good and getting stronger the more he plays on it. He is absolutely a wonderful young man. (ok Im just waiting for the comments from this).

We had all of the new kids over about a week ago. Man those new freshman look great (from what I saw on our cement court). Daniel has some serious hops!!!!! :shock: He dunked on our hoop from a stand still (standard height hoop). All of the new guys are just the nicest kids and great senses of humor. They are all really excited about being able to play here. I think they are going to be much better than anyone expected. We have some really tall kids on this team. Im really excited to see how things are going to go.

I hear that Q is really showing his stuff too.

I have heard the same thing about Ted. I saw him right before he left to go home for the summer break and he looked like he had been starting to hit the weights etc. Have not talked to him since he got back. He had been playing in some pickup games this spring and some of the kids that he played against were impressed with his skills. These were other athletes from the school that played ball with him.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:23 pm

Does anyone else get confused by catmoms' posts, ala I don't know all the players first names, or nicknames. When we talk about football players and athletes in general, most of us don't know them personally so we stick to the last names. Hell it took me forever to figure out who "Freak" was.

Who is Q?

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:25 pm

CelticCat wrote:Does anyone else get confused by catmoms' posts, ......

Who is Q?
Q= An annoying character from the Star Trek worlkd

or

Q = Jaques Wilson

irishcat23
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by irishcat23 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:31 pm

Yup, Q = Jaques Wilson. His friends call him Q. Good luck keeping up on nicknames - I'm friends with most of these guys and I don't even know what to call them most of the time!! :D

catmom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by catmom » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:45 am

CelticCat wrote:Does anyone else get confused by catmoms' posts, ala I don't know all the players first names, or nicknames. When we talk about football players and athletes in general, most of us don't know them personally so we stick to the last names. Hell it took me forever to figure out who "Freak" was.

Who is Q?
Sorry man, I just assumed that everyone knew who Freak was because the paper also referred to him that way also. That is the only name I have ever called him and I only learned a little over a year ago what his real name was when I helped him purchase a ticket on the net (he paid for it - wanted that clear).

Regarding Q. Sorry, I don't call him by his full name and when I type I just go with first names. I will try better to be clear on the names. While Im at it BJ is Brandon Johnson (really tall redshirt freshman from last year) if I happen to screw up. :oops: