Spurrier cleans house, Bobcats attain player

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CatfaninGA
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Spurrier cleans house, Bobcats attain player

Post by CatfaninGA » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:57 pm

Former USC RB Taylor Rank is transferring to Montana State in Bozeman. Rank was given his release by Gamecock head coach Steve Spurrier after spring practice where he was no better than fourth on the depth chart. Rank, who rushed for 2018 yards and 22 touchdowns as a high school senior in Vancouver, WA, was redshirted as a freshman last season after suffering an injury.

JahGriz
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by JahGriz » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:08 pm

Wow, breaking news. LOL. Sorry, couldn't resist.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:11 pm

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by GOKATS » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:24 pm

LTown Cat wrote:Interesting reading here:

http://www.sectalk.com/boards/showthread.php?t=10481
Apparently we're now a D-II school in the midwest.

FTG!!
[quote="GrizinWashington"]The Griz suck.
[quote=" tampa_griz"] (because China isn't a part of "Asia") .....

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:26 pm

GOKATS wrote:Apparently we're now a D-II school in the midwest.
I don't think they have a clue--or care for that matter. Hopefully his injuries are behind him and a fresh start will allow him to reach his potential.

labcat96
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by labcat96 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:11 pm

Here is a thread from a message board I frequent . It talks about Taylor.

http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php ... aylor+rank

Take that griz slime!

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:27 pm

Glad that he's a Bobcat. It looks like his father was a poster on the South Carolina Board. If he comes to Bobcat Nation, welcome aboard.

Does anyone know what, and to what extent Rank was injured?

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:40 pm

Quote found on Rivals.
-- Spurrier said Taylor Rank's decision to transfer to Montana State was based purely on playing time. "He feels like he can go (to MSU) and play right away," Spurrier said. "He was afraid he was going to get stuck behind Mike Davis or whoever for awhile."

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:42 pm

labcat96 wrote:Here is a thread from a message board I frequent . It talks about Taylor.

http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php ... aylor+rank

Looks like he was highly regarded down in SC. It also won't hurt to have USC fans following and rooting for MSU--Go Cats!

labcat96
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by labcat96 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:44 pm

I looked at some of the old USC practice reports from last fall and they report him having a slight concussion and then an ankle sprain. During the March 17th practice he ran 4 times for 35 yards including a 20 yard score. I am really excited he is coming here! :D

Take that griz slime!

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:51 pm

GOKATS wrote:

I have two cousins that are each head High schools football coaches in South Carolina. When ever my aunt comes to visit she bring press clippings and media guides ect. Believe me compaired to South Carolina we are d-2. I got to look over one of the high School media guides this summer. It is bigger and more detailed in all manner, than than the Bobcat football Media guide. They take their football very seriuosly.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:57 pm

mslacat wrote:
GOKATS wrote:

I have two cousins that are each head High schools football coaches in South Carolina. When ever my aunt comes to visit she bring press clippings and media guides ect. Believe me compaired to South Carolina we are d-2. I got to look over one of the high School media guides this summer. It is bigger and more detailed in all manner, than than the Bobcat football Media guide. They take their football very seriuosly.
I know it well - there is a visiting brother from SoCo and he is a huge Gamecocks fan. He said he enjoyed the MSU games but there are nothing, nothing like USC games. He was impressed though, he had very little expectations. ;)

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:00 pm

This could really be something special. Maybe I'm seeing this through my Bobcat shades, and I don't want to use the term "Three Headed Monster" at running back, but we know Groves is solid, and the 2 players that stayed with me during the Great Falls scrimmage said "Just wait until you see Taito... he's an animal." and now Rank? This is looking very good...

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

raincat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by raincat » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:17 pm

I always smile when I hear someone from the east coast talk about distance. Many have no concept of the distances involved west of the Mississippi. True, Rank is moving closer to home, but he's still about 800 miles from "home" when he sets up shop in Bozeman. That's probably about the distance from South Carolina to New York... He probably could have picked almost any 1AA (aka II) school to transfer to, including Portland State or Eastern Washington if he wanted to be that much closer to home. Says a lot to me about the Bobcat program...winners of National Championships in NAIA, Division II AND Division 1AA and conference co-champs "several" of the last few years; with the finest facilites, best looking women, strongest men and best coaching staff in a 5 state region. So Mr. Rank, your son came to the right place! Thank you. =D^

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by GOKATS » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:49 pm

raincat wrote: with the finest facilites, best looking women, strongest men and best coaching staff in a 5 state region. So Mr. Rank, your son came to the right place! Thank you. =D^
For some reason we usually have the coldest beer also. :wink:

FTG!!
[quote="GrizinWashington"]The Griz suck.
[quote=" tampa_griz"] (because China isn't a part of "Asia") .....

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Post by Go Scats Go » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:10 pm

raincat wrote:I always smile when I hear someone from the east coast talk about distance. Many have no concept of the distances involved west of the Mississippi. True, Rank is moving closer to home, but he's still about 800 miles from "home" when he sets up shop in Bozeman. That's probably about the distance from South Carolina to New York... He probably could have picked almost any 1AA (aka II) school to transfer to, including Portland State or Eastern Washington if he wanted to be that much closer to home. Says a lot to me about the Bobcat program...winners of National Championships in NAIA, Division II AND Division 1AA and conference co-champs "several" of the last few years; with the finest facilites, best looking women, strongest men and best coaching staff in a 5 state region. So Mr. Rank, your son came to the right place! Thank you. =D^
Nice woody

CelticCat wrote:Well it's because the Griz are the only program in Montana of course.

couloir41
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by couloir41 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:06 pm

gsg...no doubt you would know a "nice woody"....i have heard that of "member challenged" types...

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:22 am

Just having read through some of the threads on Taylor it sounds like he is a Ryan Johnson type runner. Who wouldn't want another Ryan Johnson in the stable? :thumbup:

Welcome Taylor to the Blue and Gold. Go Cats!!!

Billings_Griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by Billings_Griz » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:34 am

raincat wrote:I always smile when I hear someone from the east coast talk about distance. Many have no concept of the distances involved west of the Mississippi. True, Rank is moving closer to home, but he's still about 800 miles from "home" when he sets up shop in Bozeman.
Agreed, but we could have got him a little closer. :wink: Having been recruited by a SEC school, he's got to be the "real deal".

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:48 am

On a relatively serious note, I would assume as he came from the Pacific Northwest he had no idea how miserable Columbia, South Carolina's climate really is. I lived in Augusta and Savannah for more than a few years and the two years I had to live in Columbia was pure hell. I don't think I've ever been anyplace that hot and miserable--even worse than being down in the Breaks in the middle of August :wink: