Sonny Holland Game Thread

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Sonny Holland Game Thread

Post by catatac » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:21 pm

Couple early observations. Tommy is 100% locked in, but that's no surprise. Good back and forth on the lines, I'd say OL slightly outperforming DL at this point but not dominating. Oh, we are GOOD and DEEP at RB.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

smith427
New Recruit

Re: Sonny Holland Game Thread

Post by smith427 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:38 pm

I really wish SWX wouldn’t restrict streaming the game so much. I think there are a lot of out-of-state fans like myself that would love to watch but can’t. I understand they have exclusive rights to live coverage for this event but it’s not like this is the Super Bowl. A simple youtube livestream would be so much better imo

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:43 pm

smith427 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:38 pm
I really wish SWX wouldn’t restrict streaming the game so much. I think there are a lot of out-of-state fans like myself that would love to watch but can’t. I understand they have exclusive rights to live coverage for this event but it’s not like this is the Super Bowl. A simple youtube livestream would be so much better imo
No reason to regionally restrict the stream when there is no out-of-state rights deal for the game.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

SparkCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by SparkCat » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:54 pm

It’s about what I’d expect for a spring scrimmage. So far 3 field goals made, two around 40 some yards, one around 30.

Defense looks pretty dialed in, good throwing by all quarterbacks, a few dropped passes by receivers.

Running backs are endless and tough.

Aside from that, it’s about on par with past scrimmages, just some fun Spring football and it’s a blast to watch them play, but hard to really take away anything from it.

Only thing I can’t tell is if the play clock is not stopping at all. Lots of or close to delay of games that seem to be coming really quickly.

Mrs TrackCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Mrs TrackCat » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:09 pm

smith427 wrote:
We couldn’t find the scrimmage on our local swx channel on tv, but we found it after downloading the app on our phones. I don’t know if that would work for you. Sorry, it can be frustrating.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:12 pm

Backup QBs are all flashing some pretty damn good things... but occasional mistakes too. The Florence kid (Duschane?) might be the real deal. Elliot still doing Ifanse imitations, or doing his best to do so. Love the way he runs.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:20 pm

Mrs TrackCat wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:09 pm
smith427 wrote:
We couldn’t find the scrimmage on our local swx channel on tv, but we found it after downloading the app on our phones. I don’t know if that would work for you. Sorry, it can be frustrating.
nope.
i pay for Hbo, hulu, disney, netflix, espn+, paramount and i am sure some more, get several hundred mostly junk, from samsung, and 30+ over air tv channels. SWX won't let me subscribe out of area unless i have a local TV subscription which i"m not pay $130/month for Sparklight TV services. and in addition, now i have to pay for ESPN for the championship? who knows what service i'll need for the playoffs living here in Rio Rancho, NM.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:23 pm

Hunter P is a stud. And back to the RBs... that was a hell of a run from Colson Coon, no idea how far down the depth chart he is. Adam Jones has been a total work horse today so far.

Julius Davis
Scottre Humphrey
Elijah Elliot
Jared White
Adam Jones
Colson Coon

Not to mention our TE\FB\WR\QBs that all run the ball..... I think our rushing attack should be right up there again as one of if not the best in the country.

SparkCat

Post by SparkCat » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:28 pm

catatac wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:12 pm
Backup QBs are all flashing some pretty damn good things... but occasional mistakes too. The Florence kid (Duschane?) might be the real deal. Elliot still doing Ifanse imitations, or doing his best to do so. Love the way he runs.
Duchien is impressive. If I was an outsider watching today’s scrimmage I’d think he was QB #2. Reed has had a good day, just a few bad snaps and easy drops by receivers.

Also, Coon and Jones do not like to go down and I love it.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:36 pm

SparkCat wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:54 pm
It’s about what I’d expect for a spring scrimmage. So far 3 field goals made, two around 40 some yards, one around 30.

Defense looks pretty dialed in, good throwing by all quarterbacks, a few dropped passes by receivers.

Running backs are endless and tough.

Aside from that, it’s about on par with past scrimmages, just some fun Spring football and it’s a blast to watch them play, but hard to really take away anything from it.

Only thing I can’t tell is if the play clock is not stopping at all. Lots of or close to delay of games that seem to be coming really quickly.
True it’s hard to glean much from spring scrimmage but once in awhile a player or two will pop. I see you’ve mentioned Duchein in another post. These are the things I look for in scrimmage.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:37 pm

SparkCat wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:28 pm
catatac wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:12 pm
Duchien is impressive. If I was an outsider watching today’s scrimmage I’d think he was QB #2. Reed has had a good day, just a few bad snaps and easy drops by receivers.

Also, Coon and Jones do not like to go down and I love it.
Interesting about Duchien. Coon has been a beast throughout camp.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:39 pm

catatac wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:23 pm
Hunter P is a stud. And back to the RBs... that was a hell of a run from Colson Coon, no idea how far down the depth chart he is. Adam Jones has been a total work horse today so far.

Julius Davis
Scottre Humphrey
Elijah Elliot
Jared White
Adam Jones
Colson Coon

Not to mention our TE\FB\WR\QBs that all run the ball..... I think our rushing attack should be right up there again as one of if not the best in the country.
Provience has been eye catching for a while now. I think he’s definitely going to be an impact at TE this season. Hearing all kinds of good things about Coon.

toM StUber

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:41 pm

Ok at TE

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

BornBobcat2000
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BornBobcat2000 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:59 pm

I’m surprised to see some of the comments about the backup QB’s, because I didn’t think they were very impressive in the passing game at all. Maybe I’m being harsh, but I didn’t think any of the backups looked like a game ready QB #2

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:05 pm

BornBobcat2000 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:59 pm
I’m surprised to see some of the comments about the backup QB’s, because I didn’t think they were very impressive in the passing game at all. Maybe I’m being harsh, but I didn’t think any of the backups looked like a game ready QB #2
I thought Reed looked good in the games he was in last season. So I’m surprised to not hear more positive things about him this spring.

Are any of the QBs live?

toM StUber

SparkCat

Post by SparkCat » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:07 pm

BornBobcat2000 wrote:
I was hoping to see more from Reed, but the dude got only a handful of ideal snaps, most were way too low and off to his left. I think we are in good hands at the QB position, I think Wilson and Duchien were getting pressured pretty quickly and did well making reads and quick decisions. I’m going to just chalk it up as, our defense is playing much better!

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:08 pm

Reed has some throws from some nontradional arm angles.

Lots of low snaps.

That #16 kid was getting quite a few targets. I wonder how he plays into the fall equation.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:08 pm

I’m surprised that there aren’t any posts on Twitter about the scrimmage. I wish I would’ve went now.

toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:10 pm

lutecat wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:08 pm
Reed has some throws from some nontradional arm angles.

Lots of low snaps.

That #16 kid was getting quite a few targets. I wonder how he plays into the fall equation.
That’s Dodson-Greene. He’s flashed before and could be a sleeper at the position.

toM StUber

SparkCat

Post by SparkCat » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:12 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:05 pm
BornBobcat2000 wrote:
I thought Reed looked good in the games he was in last season. So I’m surprised to not hear more positive things about him this spring.

Are any of the QBs live?
Reed throws great balls but has a quick and lower release (like a baseball catcher almost), he also had a number of poor snaps, and had a few deer in the headlight moments. I think some of this was him wanting to run and staying back to pass. I know crap about the QB position when people get to the nitty gritty but my impression is he could be more patient, got jumpy a few times, and maybe he’s trying to out play himself a bit. Sometimes you just got to give up, giving a F and play.
Last edited by SparkCat on Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.