NCAA approve Helmet Comms and 2 min warning

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

NCAA approve Helmet Comms and 2 min warning

Post by HelenaCat95 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:12 am

https://www.si.com/college/2024/04/19/c ... te-warning

I don't know if this will apply this year to FCS. But if not, I bet that it's coming...maybe 2025?

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: NCAA approve Helmet Comms and 2 min warning

Post by kennethnoisewater » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:30 am

I haven't seen any call-out saying this is only FBS, so I think it will be for at least all of D-I, if not all the NCAA. I do think you might get conferences that have rules against some of this for a while. There will be programs that can't afford certain parts of the tablet use, for instance, and some conferences might want to keep things fair. Because it's not just buying tablets, it's a production team getting the images to those tablets fast. And if you're allowed to use broadcast and other video sources, what's to stop MSU from having 20 cameras all over the stadium? And someone like EWU would claim that's an unfair on-field advantage. I'm not sure where I land on it, I just know there will be some discrepancies between the haves and the have-nots, so the conference will step in. I could see the BSC saying they'll come online with the tablet use in 2025 or 2026, and maybe use the helmet communication right away. I see no reason the two-minute warning couldn't be implemented at all levels right away.

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Mtcatfan » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:35 am

2 minute warning sucks. Another sit on your hands for five minutes moment waiting for them to come back from commercials.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:38 am

Mtcatfan wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:35 am
2 minute warning sucks. Another sit on your hands for five minutes moment waiting for them to come back from commercials.
The article does say this doesn't come with a break for TV timeouts, but COULD include a media timeout if necessary. I'm curious what that means. It seems like they don't want to have the 5 minute break you're talking about, but are they leaving the door open for it?

St George
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by St George » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:00 am

The two-minute warning should create more drama at the end of games, while tablets and helmet communication seem like an obvious next step in the game's evolution.

I copied that sentence from the article, I always thought we had more than enough drama with the Big Sky Refs.

saintcat40
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by saintcat40 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:03 am

The article I read says that it is only for FBS this year. FCS has to approve it by some date for it to go through next year.

saintcat40
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by saintcat40 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:05 am

From yahoo sports article… “The technology additions will be in use for FBS teams, but not for coaches and players at the FCS level. FCS conferences will have to submit proposals for such changes by June 15.”

I

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:39 am

What happens when you play up?

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:55 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:38 am
Mtcatfan wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:35 am
The article does say this doesn't come with a break for TV timeouts, but COULD include a media timeout if necessary. I'm curious what that means. It seems like they don't want to have the 5 minute break you're talking about, but are they leaving the door open for it?
There are a set number of media timeouts per quarter, once they are all used up play proceeds until the end of the quarter with no long TV breaks. I assume this means that the 2-minute warning can be used as a media timeout if needed, but wouldn't add an additional media timeout to the existing number.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:01 pm

Thought it was interesting that they played the scrimmage today with 2 minute warnings. Gonna take some getting used to in the college game.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

tagleason
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by tagleason » Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:35 pm

The REASON for the two minute warning “expired” decades ago and is now the dumbest rule in football imo.

AKCat1

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:30 pm

tagleason wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:35 pm
The REASON for the two minute warning “expired” decades ago and is now the dumbest rule in football imo.
With you here. It was only created by the NFL to have an extra, lengthy commercial break during the most-watched portion of the game. I’ve never seen a study that says that breaking the flow of the game at a critical time enhances the competition. Why two minutes? Why not three? Or four? Or 3 minutes and 15 seconds? It’s a really ugly, extra bolt-on rule that I was always proud of college football for not copying. I suppose the big-money agents and sponsors who really move things are wanting their first-round players to have this experience before they leave early for the NFL. Sorry to see it. It was one of the things that made college football better.