SPEEDY DBs - incoming class

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: SPEEDY DBs - incoming class

Post by TomCat88 » Sun May 05, 2024 10:13 pm

BobcatBuiltTexan wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 5:46 pm
Boyd got 6th..... mcmillan 3rd(he was gassed from his two previous events).... McMillan's 4x1 team ran what I think is the 7th fastest time ever in the 4x1 and got 4th..... their 4x2 ran a 1.22.72 breaking the national record but got 2nd to Duncanville who ran 1.22.25 so they hold the record. Tompkins placed 3rd overall at the meet missing 2nd by 2pts and first by 9pts. It was really the fastest hs track meet ever. Had a 10.19 in the 100 also... it was insane to watch.

McMillan has been invited to the great southwest track meet for being ranked in the top 5 in the 200. I saw some p5 track coaches talking to him and his family after the meet. All indications is he's locked and loaded for MSU and not entertaining anything else but getting ready to be the best cb MSU had ever had, lol. Can't wait to see him in the blue and gold
Thanks for the insight. I follow TF every year but this year I’ve at least spent twice as much time on it. These Texas sprinters have been fascinating as has the powerlifter.

MSU - 16 team National Champions (most recent 2024); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Wed May 08, 2024 11:09 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:15 am
AFCAT wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:07 pm
rivercat wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:53 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:43 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:44 pm
onceacat wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:49 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:52 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:39 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:34 am
Here's how crazy Texas is: McMillan is faster than the fastest Montanan ever, yet he's ranked 26th in Texas THIS YEAR. McMillan's time would be 7th best in Florida this year and 5th best in California. Ryan Dierenfield from Skyview ran a 10.75 in his first meet of the season (and an 11.12 the second meet) for the fastest time in MT this season, but that would put him in a tie for 138th in Texas this year.
Montana rarely gets optimal weather for sprinters. Not that I’m saying Montana sprinters are in the same league of the most populated states. But there would be better prep times here if we had warmer temperatures.
OK sure, that's part of it. Times in MN and WI are also not good. My point was more about how crazy Texas is compared even to other (warm) states like Florida and California. 129 under 11 seconds in Florida this year so far, 191 in CA, 411 in TX.
If weather is the issue, indoor times should be similar. I'm pretty sure that isnt the case. I think a lot of it is culture. Bozeman (at the high school level) and MSU (at the collegiate level) are able to produce stars like Duncan Hamilton (fastest American ever in NCAA steeplechase) and Nathan Neil (Top 10 all time high schooler in human history in the 3000.) But Bozeman has never produced sprinters.

Texans also hold the all time records in boys 100, 200, 400, boys and girls 4x100, 4x200...but no records in distance or jumping.

Its not really the weather...its the culture & coaching.
Cold weather slows sprinters, across the board, down. That’s all I’m saying. Montana’s top times would probably be lower if we had warmer temperatures during track season.

Indoor sprints are for shorter distances. The indoor 200 typically has a full curve that isn’t as wide (sharper turn) and that is mainly why it isn’t as fast as outdoor 200 times. Same for 400.
It’s not colder weather and it’s not culture and coaching.
In today's world, it's not correct to say such things. But there's a reason Samoans aren't DBs, why Asians aren't O linemen, why Iowa farm boys aren't receivers. Biologic expression of genetics is a real thing. It's not a bad thing, it's just reality.
Nice generalization and wrong on all accounts. Asia is a big place, you might want to look at a map, and the people that reside there come in all shapes and sizes. There is currently a young man of Polynesian descent that plays DB for the Cats. I’m sure there are Iowa farm boys that have played wide receiver.
I can't believe we can't say it. We take so many posts so literally--I was going to say we're too black and white but that terminology might be misleading in this thread. I'm sure there are some people of Asian descent who are big enough to play O-line, but you have to admit it's not common. If you watch the 100M at a big time track meet, you're just not going to see as many white folks. Mac McClung won the dunk contest last year (I think) and I can't imagine there were very many people who didn't at least think to themselves "wow, white guy!" One of the fastest kids in America last year was a white kid from Idaho. Again, if you think 99% of people who saw him race weren't a little surprised on some level that he was a white kid, I'm just not sure you're being honest. Yeah, it's a generalization, but it's not just racist white people who make it.
Sort of missing the point. Its not racial its geographical. 100
% of the sprinter population you mention are specifically WEST African. East Africans dont run sprints, they run distance.

It not RACE, its CULTURE

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu May 09, 2024 9:28 am

onceacat wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 11:09 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
rivercat wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:34 am
Here's how crazy Texas is: McMillan is faster than the fastest Montanan ever, yet he's ranked 26th in Texas THIS YEAR. McMillan's time would be 7th best in Florida this year and 5th best in California. Ryan Dierenfield from Skyview ran a 10.75 in his first meet of the season (and an 11.12 the second meet) for the fastest time in MT this season, but that would put him in a tie for 138th in Texas this year.
Montana rarely gets optimal weather for sprinters. Not that I’m saying Montana sprinters are in the same league of the most populated states. But there would be better prep times here if we had warmer temperatures.
OK sure, that's part of it. Times in MN and WI are also not good. My point was more about how crazy Texas is compared even to other (warm) states like Florida and California. 129 under 11 seconds in Florida this year so far, 191 in CA, 411 in TX.
If weather is the issue, indoor times should be similar. I'm pretty sure that isnt the case. I think a lot of it is culture. Bozeman (at the high school level) and MSU (at the collegiate level) are able to produce stars like Duncan Hamilton (fastest American ever in NCAA steeplechase) and Nathan Neil (Top 10 all time high schooler in human history in the 3000.) But Bozeman has never produced sprinters.

Texans also hold the all time records in boys 100, 200, 400, boys and girls 4x100, 4x200...but no records in distance or jumping.

Cold weather slows sprinters, across the board, down. That’s all I’m saying. Montana’s top times would probably be lower if we had warmer temperatures during track season.

Indoor sprints are for shorter distances. The indoor 200 typically has a full curve that isn’t as wide (sharper turn) and that is mainly why it isn’t as fast as outdoor 200 times. Same for 400.
In today's world, it's not correct to say such things. But there's a reason Samoans aren't DBs, why Asians aren't O linemen, why Iowa farm boys aren't receivers. Biologic expression of genetics is a real thing. It's not a bad thing, it's just reality.
Nice generalization and wrong on all accounts. Asia is a big place, you might want to look at a map, and the people that reside there come in all shapes and sizes. There is currently a young man of Polynesian descent that plays DB for the Cats. I’m sure there are Iowa farm boys that have played wide receiver.
I can't believe we can't say it. We take so many posts so literally--I was going to say we're too black and white but that terminology might be misleading in this thread. I'm sure there are some people of Asian descent who are big enough to play O-line, but you have to admit it's not common. If you watch the 100M at a big time track meet, you're just not going to see as many white folks. Mac McClung won the dunk contest last year (I think) and I can't imagine there were very many people who didn't at least think to themselves "wow, white guy!" One of the fastest kids in America last year was a white kid from Idaho. Again, if you think 99% of people who saw him race weren't a little surprised on some level that he was a white kid, I'm just not sure you're being honest. Yeah, it's a generalization, but it's not just racist white people who make it.
% of the sprinter population you mention are specifically WEST African. East Africans dont run sprints, they run distance.

It not RACE, its CULTURE
Seems like a subset of a race, but I've already been told in PMs that I'm being racist, so I'll tread lightly. But really, isn't race kind of cultural? Isn't it just evolution? Didn't Africans develop different skin tones over hundreds of generations? And does it stand to reason that part of that environment and culture allowed more individuals in certain regions an ability to run faster? Or that the faster ones survived and reproduced? Then through one of the great tragedies of human history (slavery in general), many WEST Africans were brought to America simply because that was the coast that was closer, and that's the subset that makes up the majority of Black Americans today.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu May 09, 2024 11:17 am

I was just talking about how weather affects everyone regardless of race, color, or ethnicity. I think me and Usain Bolt, and everyone in between, runs faster when its 75 degrees vs when it's 40 degrees. I also think sprinters perform better outdoors than indoors if you control for all the other variables, so if it's 70 inside and 70 outside, you'll do better outside.

MSU - 16 team National Champions (most recent 2024); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu May 09, 2024 11:20 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 11:17 am
I was just talking about how weather affects everyone regardless of race, color, or ethnicity. I think me and Usain Bolt, and everyone in between, runs faster when its 75 degrees vs when it's 40 degrees. I also think sprinters perform better outdoors than indoors if you control for all the other variables, so if it's 70 inside and 70 outside, you'll do better outside.
I agree with that 100%. Look at the best times in MT this year in the boys' 100. No one in the top 10 has had their best time in the last 2-3 weeks, when the weather has been bad.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Thu May 09, 2024 1:06 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 9:28 am
onceacat wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 11:09 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
rivercat wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

It not RACE, its CULTURE
Seems like a subset of a race, but I've already been told in PMs that I'm being racist, so I'll tread lightly. But really, isn't race kind of cultural? Isn't it just evolution? Didn't Africans develop different skin tones over hundreds of generations? And does it stand to reason that part of that environment and culture allowed more individuals in certain regions an ability to run faster? Or that the faster ones survived and reproduced? Then through one of the great tragedies of human history (slavery in general), many WEST Africans were brought to America simply because that was the coast that was closer, and that's the subset that makes up the majority of Black Americans today.
You'd think so, if you didn't have good information on human genetics. There's more genetic diversity in Africa than there is on the other six continents combined. That's why the fastest runners are usually black. The genetically slowest runners would probably be black, too. We just don't notice because there aren't billions of dollars spent finding, recruiting, and training unathletic people to get slower

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu May 09, 2024 2:50 pm

It’s simple — the wild animals of Africa are faster than North America’s. I’ll guarantee your family will learn to run faster being chased by a cheetah rather than a coyote.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Fri May 10, 2024 5:09 am

Oh look, the ghost of Jean-Baptiste Lamarck

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri May 10, 2024 12:25 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 5:09 am
Oh look, the ghost of Jean-Baptiste Lamarck
That’s heart failure, not speed.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed May 15, 2024 7:59 am

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Wed May 15, 2024 8:31 am

AFCAT wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 7:59 am
Bring the speed and the attitude! =D^

ThoughtUKnew14
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ThoughtUKnew14 » Wed May 15, 2024 3:16 pm

Speed is nice but I’ll take sure tackling and proper positioning any day! Not saying these kids can’t do both. Just hope they can.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed May 15, 2024 4:45 pm

ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 3:16 pm
Speed is nice but I’ll take sure tackling and proper positioning any day! Not saying these kids can’t do both. Just hope they can.
BobcatBuiltTexan:
“Everyone here as to remember TX is a FOOTBALL state, its what we do. These kids are football players who happen to be extremely fast. All of these dbs are legit dbs, not just fast kids who happen to makes plays from time to time....I've watched film on all of them. They all can play press coverage, understand footwork, reading routes, understand leverage and route combinations...these kids can play the game of football AND they have the speed to separate themselves from many other players. For the life of me I don't understand how any of these kids weren't more highly recruited.”
(Just thought I’d save BBT a little work :) )

toM StUber

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed May 15, 2024 5:08 pm

How many times has a player blocked a kick and intercepted a pass on the same play? Jhase has some nice plays on this video.

https://www.maxpreps.com/tx/katy/tompki ... bmjr7c5n77

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed May 15, 2024 6:03 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 5:08 pm
How many times has a player blocked a kick and intercepted a pass on the same play? Jhase has some nice plays on this video.

Dang. I know it's a highlight reel but man he looks to have excellent instincts - and the speed and raw talent is evident.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed May 15, 2024 7:27 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 5:08 pm

I haven't even imagined it. That's just bizarre.

toM StUber

ThoughtUKnew14

Post by ThoughtUKnew14 » Wed May 15, 2024 8:51 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 4:45 pm
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
BobcatBuiltTexan:
“Everyone here as to remember TX is a FOOTBALL state, its what we do. These kids are football players who happen to be extremely fast. All of these dbs are legit dbs, not just fast kids who happen to makes plays from time to time....I've watched film on all of them. They all can play press coverage, understand footwork, reading routes, understand leverage and route combinations...these kids can play the game of football AND they have the speed to separate themselves from many other players. For the life of me I don't understand how any of these kids weren't more highly recruited.”
Very familiar w/ Texas ball…I played 6A Football in TX. Texas has the best HS football hands down IMO.

Also, those debating TX speed vs. Montana speed…there is no debate. Hands down TX wins!

BobcatBuiltTexan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BobcatBuiltTexan » Thu May 16, 2024 8:53 am

ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 8:51 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
BobcatBuiltTexan:
Very familiar w/ Texas ball…I played 6A Football in TX. Texas has the best HS football hands down IMO.

Also, those debating TX speed vs. Montana speed…there is no debate. Hands down TX wins!
I guess the way I look at it MSU recruits well and keeps a top 5 program. I don't think they would recruit kids that weren't able to do the things you are questioning. If you played 6A ball in Texas then you should know the schools these kids come from are strong programs so there really shouldn't be a question for you, knowing tx football, if they can do those things. Have looked at their film? I can go to each players hudl and you can see plays where each has literally decleated kids. Now an I saying they're all heat seeking missiles? No they all aren't, the kid from Rockwall is... that kid brings the hammer repeatedly.

Can't wait for them to get up there and start learning. I think MSU is about to have a stellar year. Jmo

wapiti

Post by wapiti » Thu May 16, 2024 9:38 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 2:50 pm
It’s simple — the wild animals of Africa are faster than North America’s. I’ll guarantee your family will learn to run faster being chased by a cheetah rather than a coyote.
The North American Antelope could be considered the fastest land animal on Earth.

Faster than the Cheetah due to being able to hold a top speed for a much longer period of time.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu May 16, 2024 9:40 am

BobcatBuiltTexan wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 8:53 am
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 8:51 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
BobcatBuiltTexan:

I guess the way I look at it MSU recruits well and keeps a top 5 program. I don't think they would recruit kids that weren't able to do the things you are questioning. If you played 6A ball in Texas then you should know the schools these kids come from are strong programs so there really shouldn't be a question for you, knowing tx football, if they can do those things. Have looked at their film? I can go to each players hudl and you can see plays where each has literally decleated kids. Now an I saying they're all heat seeking missiles? No they all aren't, the kid from Rockwall is... that kid brings the hammer repeatedly.

Can't wait for them to get up there and start learning. I think MSU is about to have a stellar year. Jmo
Some the greatest MSU players of all time came out of Texas. Just look at our Hall of Fame.