Parking

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

bobcats35
BobcatNation Redshirt

Parking

Post by bobcats35 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:59 pm

I can't believe the new parking rules for Football. I'm 84 years old and am missing one leg. Have parked on south side of Stadium for 22 years . Always got there 3 or 4 hours early to get a spot. Now I have to pay $300.00 to park there. Montana State Athletics should be ashamed of themselves. I think a letter to ADA might be in order.

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Parking

Post by BobcatDel » Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:10 pm

bobcats35 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:59 pm
I can't believe the new parking rules for Football. I'm 84 years old and am missing one leg. Have parked on south side of Stadium for 22 years . Always got there 3 or 4 hours early to get a spot. Now I have to pay $300.00 to park there. Montana State Athletics should be ashamed of themselves. I think a letter to ADA might be in order.
Yeah that is a bummer! I’m getting another story second (or third hand) from a friend that said one other idea in the works is remote parking near the police station…and shuttle service to the gate. If you’ve got a phone number I would ask if there is any truth to that. Or maybe someone from MSU that reads this site could chime in.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:26 pm

bobcats35 wrote:
I don't believe a "letter to the ADA" or any government agency will really help. ADA accessible parking just means the spots are accessible to people with handicaps, not that you don't have to pay for the parking if it's required. There are ADA spots next to the stadium that you will have to pay for and cheaper ADA accessible options near the Fieldhouse. If you want to, call up the ticket office or athletic directors office and see if they can work out some options for you.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:32 pm

This is pretty comparable to parking prices in many other stadiums across the country. Also, this is how we pay for stadium improvements, which in turn brings in better recruits, better coaches, and more fans. Hopefully in the near future, we will see a National Championship or several because of all this.

Here are the season parking passes if you want to go watch the Crimson Tide play at home

https://www.ticketcity.com/alabama-tick ... 35683.html
Last edited by GoCats18 on Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Punters are people too!!

damnyoutuesday
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by damnyoutuesday » Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:34 pm

bobcats35 wrote:
There is no "ADA". ADA stands for "Americans with Disabilities Act", it's a piece of legislation, not a governmental organization. And I would call the athletic department/ticket office to inquire more info

RICO CAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RICO CAT » Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:30 pm

damnyoutuesday wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:34 pm
bobcats35 wrote:
There is no "ADA". ADA stands for "Americans with Disabilities Act", it's a piece of legislation, not a governmental organization. And I would call the athletic department/ticket office to inquire more info
I would reach out to the athletic department too. Whenever there is change not all scenarios are thought of. There definitely should be some handicapped spaces.

“OVER THEM MOUNTAINS”

snarf
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by snarf » Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:03 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:10 pm
bobcats35 wrote:
Yeah that is a bummer! I’m getting another story second (or third hand) from a friend that said one other idea in the works is remote parking near the police station…and shuttle service to the gate. If you’ve got a phone number I would ask if there is any truth to that. Or maybe someone from MSU that reads this site could chime in.
This is what was in the parking letter from the athletic department:

A limited number of reserved ADA spaces will be available for purchase in both the East and West lots, and requests for those spaces will be filled via the Priority Point System. For anyone without a reserved ADA space at the stadium, University Parking Services will be offering an ADA shuttle service from the Huffman Lot (Lot #13) on gamedays.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:38 pm

bobcats35 wrote:
I hear you. I’m mobility disabled, and my mom was a single-leg amputee since I was seven years old. The first question — is the $300 the same as the cost for other nearby non-handicap designated sites? If it’s more, then that’s a problem.

The shuttle — might be a nice idea on a sunny bare-ground day, although the Huffman lot can be hard to park in anyway and you might have to park completely across the lot from the shuttle. Getting on and off the shuttle can be difficult for some, as it certainly would be for me. Now, on a snowy, blustery day (like that’s never going to happen) that traverse across the parking lot could be a stopper. My mom required a wheelchair, and believe me, they don’t work well on snow and ice. Neither does my walker. And the shuttle bus would need the ability and time to deal with assistive appliances.

Here’s a new idea. When I was first injured, I had a hard time progressing from even the best south side handicap reserved spaces, through the crowd to the ramp. I could sit in my seat, wear blue and gold, and cheer once I got there, but it was difficult. So, I stayed home pretty often. But then my cousin came to live with us to help us move — he was able to park (temporarily but illegally) near the base of the ramp at the beer garden corner of the field, unload me and my gear, drive to wherever to park, and return 10-15 minutes later. My long-time seat was luckily marvelously accessible, and sometimes I’d need to wait for him, but some days I’d be able to get up the ramp and seat myself.

So — why doesn’t the stadium have a No Parking one-way drop off siding, where disabled fans could be dropped off. (The area where the far too few (now $300) parking spaces are could be sheltered by the stadium, but other locations may be better.) Volunteers could assist with the process like they do at a lot of big hospitals, and even help people to their seats. In @bobcats35 case, I assume he drives his own vehicle. In that case he pulls into the off-loading area and a “valet” takes the car to valet parking.

An assisted drop-off area with vehicle parking service would better serve more people than the current situation, and perhaps cost less than running the shuttle — that (likely charter) service won’t come cheaply.

I’ll be happy to write letters to Leon, Waded, anyone — if Bobcat Nationer’s think a Drop-off Area would better serve our handicapped population. Think about it.

HiLineCat

Post by HiLineCat » Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:15 pm

The other problem with the shuttle is post-game. How is the shuttle going to get in and out of there with the traffic. And what if you have to leave early, or will you have to leave early to catch the shuttle. Since our tickets are in the endzone we are not at the $500 Bobcat Club level so there is the increased cost there also. Thay are also making it much more difficult for people who only come to one or two games a year, much easier to stay home and watch on TV than put up with the new parking rules.

BobCatFan

Post by BobCatFan » Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:31 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:32 pm
This is pretty comparable to parking prices in many other stadiums across the country. Also, this is how we pay for stadium improvements, which in turn brings in better recruits, better coaches, and more fans. Hopefully in the near future, we will see a National Championship or several because of all this.

Here are the season parking passes if you want to go watch the Crimson Tide play at home

Your point is wrong. We are not an SEC school nor should we be compared to a program of that level.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:49 am

BobCatFan wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:31 pm
GoCats18 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:32 pm

Your point is wrong. We are not an SEC school nor should we be compared to a program of that level.
Not with that attitude we aren't!

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

HiLineCat

Post by HiLineCat » Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:54 am

I have been to games at Weber, Idaho State, Cal Poly, Southern Utah, Washington State and Frisco and have never paid for handicap parking. I know that most of these schools don't compare with our situation, but just trying to make a point about what other conference schools are doing. Most of these schools are just trying to get some butts in the seats.

Cats15

Post by Cats15 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:01 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:38 pm
bobcats35 wrote:
I hear you. I’m mobility disabled, and my mom was a single-leg amputee since I was seven years old. The first question — is the $300 the same as the cost for other nearby non-handicap designated sites? If it’s more, then that’s a problem.

The shuttle — might be a nice idea on a sunny bare-ground day, although the Huffman lot can be hard to park in anyway and you might have to park completely across the lot from the shuttle. Getting on and off the shuttle can be difficult for some, as it certainly would be for me. Now, on a snowy, blustery day (like that’s never going to happen) that traverse across the parking lot could be a stopper. My mom required a wheelchair, and believe me, they don’t work well on snow and ice. Neither does my walker. And the shuttle bus would need the ability and time to deal with assistive appliances.

Here’s a new idea. When I was first injured, I had a hard time progressing from even the best south side handicap reserved spaces, through the crowd to the ramp. I could sit in my seat, wear blue and gold, and cheer once I got there, but it was difficult. So, I stayed home pretty often. But then my cousin came to live with us to help us move — he was able to park (temporarily but illegally) near the base of the ramp at the beer garden corner of the field, unload me and my gear, drive to wherever to park, and return 10-15 minutes later. My long-time seat was luckily marvelously accessible, and sometimes I’d need to wait for him, but some days I’d be able to get up the ramp and seat myself.

So — why doesn’t the stadium have a No Parking one-way drop off siding, where disabled fans could be dropped off. (The area where the far too few (now $300) parking spaces are could be sheltered by the stadium, but other locations may be better.) Volunteers could assist with the process like they do at a lot of big hospitals, and even help people to their seats. In @bobcats35 case, I assume he drives his own vehicle. In that case he pulls into the off-loading area and a “valet” takes the car to valet parking.

An assisted drop-off area with vehicle parking service would better serve more people than the current situation, and perhaps cost less than running the shuttle — that (likely charter) service won’t come cheaply.

I’ll be happy to write letters to Leon, Waded, anyone — if Bobcat Nationer’s think a Drop-off Area would better serve our handicapped population. Think about it.
I have family that have a tailgate spot on the East side. There are many games that I have food, tables, fire pits etc. that need dropping off. I have never had an issue entering that lot and just letting the attendants know I was just dropping off. They always let me go through. I think they should/would be just as accommodating for a situation regarding disabled fans being dropped off.