Tailgate Prices Going Up, Again

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Re: Tailgate Prices Going Up, Again

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:58 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:27 am
I was expecting an increase so I didn't care about that much.

However, I've been anxious about where my parking spots will be this year. I have had the same two spots in the gold lot for over 20 years. They're in the 2nd row right next to the stadium. It is a more than convenient location. I won't mind a slight move if need me, but I won't be happy if I'm no where near that same area. First world problems I know. But I had a few games this year where I had things going on in the morning and was running really late. Nothing better than pulling in my spot, and can be in my seats 5 minutes later!

I really hope there isn't major change in regards to the location of our spots from previous years.
I would like to see more information on how this reassigned/ tailgate selection process is going to pan out. Will it be based on your established history of ownership of your spot, or perhaps your donation or contribution level? Some of us have long established relationships with our neighbors, and that has made for a better experience because it's kind of like an extended family of tailgates. I prefer not to lose that aspect.
More transparency is waranted for how this is going to transpire, and I believe a lot other legacy tailgaters would concur.

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:12 am

Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:58 am
ilovethecats wrote:

However, I've been anxious about where my parking spots will be this year. I have had the same two spots in the gold lot for over 20 years. They're in the 2nd row right next to the stadium. It is a more than convenient location. I won't mind a slight move if need me, but I won't be happy if I'm no where near that same area. First world problems I know. But I had a few games this year where I had things going on in the morning and was running really late. Nothing better than pulling in my spot, and can be in my seats 5 minutes later!

I really hope there isn't major change in regards to the location of our spots from previous years.
I would like to see more information on how this reassigned/ tailgate selection process is going to pan out. Will it be based on your established history of ownership of your spot, or perhaps your donation or contribution level? Some of us have long established relationships with our neighbors, and that has made for a better experience because it's kind of like an extended family of tailgates. I prefer not to lose that aspect.
More transparency is waranted for how this is going to transpire, and I believe a lot other legacy tailgaters would concur.
Oh I know it has. I was talking to some guys in the athletic department and they are fielding calls daily about just what you and I mentioned. I'm sure there is a plan in place to not piss off their biggest money makers too much. But I also understand that things change. I'm anxiously waiting to see what they come up with. [-o<

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:13 am

Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:58 am
ilovethecats wrote:

Yes I'm worried about that as well. Not only is the blue-lot price triple what it was in 2022 but now I might get pushed back to the end of the lot to make room for bigger donors. I get that they need to keep them happy but if they piss off everyone else, thats not a great solution either.

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:48 pm

I can understand and appreciate that many feel pressured by the increases in season ticket prices along with required Bobcat Club fees and increased fees for tailgate spots plus the coming new fee to be able to park in the white lot. Having season tickets I feel that pressure as well. Personally the increased price of each of these things seems very much inline with the demand that apparently exists for them.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:55 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:20 pm
catatac wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:43 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:07 pm
<<I'm going to complain about consecutive price increases on the east side blue lot tailgate spots. If you don't want to hear it, feel free to move to the next thread.>>

Just called to renew my season tix and pay for my east-side tailgate spot. Paid for our tickets and Bobcat Club dues, and then transferred over to the Bobcat Club who said I can't renew our tailgate spot yet because they are all changing due to the parking lot being paved. They will contact us in late April about our tailgate spots. She said I'm still guaranteed a spot but it might not be in the same place. Also - the price is going up from $400 to $600.

It was just 1 year ago (maybe 2?) that the tailgate spots doubled from $200 to $400. Now they are $600. That's 200% inflation over just 2-3 years. Is it just me, or does this seem like kind of a steep increase in a very short period of time, especially given that the cost of season tickets also increased in that same timeframe??

So - instead of donating $100 to the IPF, I'll be paying an extra 200 for our tailgate spot. This increase puts my total cost, for 6 home football games, at just shy of $2000.
So you'll likely be at $3,000 by year's end with 3 hope playoff games. That's why I have been skipping a couple early season home games lately, especially if I'm pretty sure they're gonna be snoozers.
Maybe, ya. But last year was 1 and done.

Just seems a bit excessive to charge $100 per game for a tailgate spot.

Does anyone know the cost of the tailgate spots on the west side of the stadium? Have they always been more and I should shut up? Or did they go way up in price also?
100 per game is a steal. Pretty sure UW charges like 50-60 per head just to get in the tailgate area. I mean I've dropped 80 dollars to park for a Mariners game, and then proceed to drop 30 bucks a drink. All said and done, its a cheap game if I can get out of there spending less than $200, (typically I drop 200-400 a game) and that's doesn't include tickets.

If we want to be competitive and play big boy football it takes large amounts of cash, and things right now are super cheap so expect it to get a lot worse.

DMMDCats
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DMMDCats » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:16 pm

Let me know when you get to $10,000. 🤣💰 :-({|=
Last edited by DMMDCats on Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:16 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:55 pm
91catAlum wrote:
catatac wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
<<I'm going to complain about consecutive price increases on the east side blue lot tailgate spots. If you don't want to hear it, feel free to move to the next thread.>>

Just called to renew my season tix and pay for my east-side tailgate spot. Paid for our tickets and Bobcat Club dues, and then transferred over to the Bobcat Club who said I can't renew our tailgate spot yet because they are all changing due to the parking lot being paved. They will contact us in late April about our tailgate spots. She said I'm still guaranteed a spot but it might not be in the same place. Also - the price is going up from $400 to $600.

It was just 1 year ago (maybe 2?) that the tailgate spots doubled from $200 to $400. Now they are $600. That's 200% inflation over just 2-3 years. Is it just me, or does this seem like kind of a steep increase in a very short period of time, especially given that the cost of season tickets also increased in that same timeframe??

So - instead of donating $100 to the IPF, I'll be paying an extra 200 for our tailgate spot. This increase puts my total cost, for 6 home football games, at just shy of $2000.
So you'll likely be at $3,000 by year's end with 3 hope playoff games. That's why I have been skipping a couple early season home games lately, especially if I'm pretty sure they're gonna be snoozers.

Does anyone know the cost of the tailgate spots on the west side of the stadium? Have they always been more and I should shut up? Or did they go way up in price also?
100 per game is a steal. Pretty sure UW charges like 50-60 per head just to get in the tailgate area. I mean I've dropped 80 dollars to park for a Mariners game, and then proceed to drop 30 bucks a drink. All said and done, its a cheap game if I can get out of there spending less than $200, (typically I drop 200-400 a game) and that's doesn't include tickets.

If we want to be competitive and play big boy football it takes large amounts of cash, and things right now are super cheap so expect it to get a lot worse.
I hear what you're saying... but this ain't pro sports, or even PAC-12 football. This is Montana State in the FCS which nobody cares about nationally. It shouldn't cost anywhere near what it costs to goto a UW Huskies football game.

I agree that $200 per season a couple years ago was a steal. Jacking that up to $600 per season is not a steal, it's tripling the price in 2 years. If you were paying it you'd have some sticker-shock too.

If they move my spot too far away from where it's been I'm going to just let it go and you won't have to read my biitching about price hikes anymore 😆

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:19 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:16 pm
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
catatac wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

I hear what you're saying... but this ain't pro sports, or even PAC-12 football. This is Montana State in the FCS which nobody cares about nationally. It shouldn't cost anywhere near what it costs to goto a UW Huskies football game.

I agree that $200 per season a couple years ago was a steal. Jacking that up to $600 per season is not a steal, it's tripling the price in 2 years. If you were paying it you'd have some sticker-shock too.

If they move my spot too far away from where it's been I'm going to just let it go and you won't have to read my biitching about price hikes anymore 😆
Got an email from the athletic department today in regards to parking. I don't know if this is the sase for everyone, so don't quote me. But it said that my spots will be in the same place or in very close proximity to where they have always been. I'd assume they are doing everything in their power to make sure this is the case for as many as they can accomodate. \:D/

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:20 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:19 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:16 pm
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
catatac wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

Got an email from the athletic department today in regards to parking. I don't know if this is the sase for everyone, so don't quote me. But it said that my spots will be in the same place or in very close proximity to where they have always been. I'd assume they are doing everything in their power to make sure this is the case for as many as they can accomodate. \:D/
That's good news, thanks!

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:14 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:48 pm
I can understand and appreciate that many feel pressured by the increases in season ticket prices along with required Bobcat Club fees and increased fees for tailgate spots plus the coming new fee to be able to park in the white lot. Having season tickets I feel that pressure as well. Personally the increased price of each of these things seems very much inline with the demand that apparently exists for them.
I do have season tickets and do have a tailgate spot on west side of stadium so I feel the price increases like others. I do agree with your comments but also when I step back I see what the needs of the athletics department is to continue to put championship level teams on the field in Bozeman Montana. If you listen to news media they tell us that inflation was near highest level in 40 years, property tax bills up 30 to 50%, home prices unaffordable in Bozeman to many, competing to pay salary in a high priced labor market….so how does our AD continue to fund and run a department faced with the need to pay administrative staff competitively, a rising operating cost environment, pay coaches and assistants to a level that they can afford to live here and want to stay here, etc etc. Then top that off with the landscape changes within the NCAA to compete in the NIL environment and compete with other schools for the best candidates by having top tier facilities. Well IMHO, MSU has done an outstanding job getting quality coaches and fielding teams on the court or turf that I am proud to support. I feel the price pain but I’ll pay the new rate to help MSU stay as a leader in the Big Sky….I trust Leon and Wadid to get us there and keep us there.

On a more practical basis, I look at it this way. We’ve got five and sometimes six couples that participate in our tailgate. I pay for the tailgate and all of our “refreshments” and we divide it up at the end of the year. I don’t believe the folks in our group are going to blink an eye when I tell them it’s $120 per couple this year vs. $80 last year for the tailgate spot. Last year, at the end of the season, our bill was about $180 per couple for tailgate and all the “refreshments” you could enjoy (including the playoff game). That included hosting many visitors and guests at the tailgate. That’s just over $25 per game per couple…about $12.50 per game per person not including tickets. I’m sorry but I can’t get out of many restaurants or bars in Bozeman for $12.50 a person and certainly wouldn’t have the same amount of fun! For the enjoyment and experience we receive in return for our tailgate expenses…..I don’t think there is a better investment for my money in supporting our loved Bobcats.

Go Cats!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:26 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:14 pm
Joe Bobcat wrote:
I do have season tickets and do have a tailgate spot on west side of stadium so I feel the price increases like others. I do agree with your comments but also when I step back I see what the needs of the athletics department is to continue to put championship level teams on the field in Bozeman Montana. If you listen to news media they tell us that inflation was near highest level in 40 years, property tax bills up 30 to 50%, home prices unaffordable in Bozeman to many, competing to pay salary in a high priced labor market….so how does our AD continue to fund and run a department faced with the need to pay administrative staff competitively, a rising operating cost environment, pay coaches and assistants to a level that they can afford to live here and want to stay here, etc etc. Then top that off with the landscape changes within the NCAA to compete in the NIL environment and compete with other schools for the best candidates by having top tier facilities. Well IMHO, MSU has done an outstanding job getting quality coaches and fielding teams on the court or turf that I am proud to support. I feel the price pain but I’ll pay the new rate to help MSU stay as a leader in the Big Sky….I trust Leon and Wadid to get us there and keep us there.

On a more practical basis, I look at it this way. We’ve got five and sometimes six couples that participate in our tailgate. I pay for the tailgate and all of our “refreshments” and we divide it up at the end of the year. I don’t believe the folks in our group are going to blink an eye when I tell them it’s $120 per couple this year vs. $80 last year for the tailgate spot. Last year, at the end of the season, our bill was about $180 per couple for tailgate and all the “refreshments” you could enjoy (including the playoff game). That included hosting many visitors and guests at the tailgate. That’s just over $25 per game per couple…about $12.50 per game per person not including tickets. I’m sorry but I can’t get out of many restaurants or bars in Bozeman for $12.50 a person and certainly wouldn’t have the same amount of fun! For the enjoyment and experience we receive in return for our tailgate expenses…..I don’t think there is a better investment for my money in supporting our loved Bobcats.

Go Cats!
Good post Del! Since you split the cost, who gets to park at the tailgate? Do you take turns? Just curious how you work that out.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:43 pm

It's kind of the economics of sports in America. Pro sports have become wine and cheese parties compared to what they used to be, and what they are in other countries. Stadiums are full of sophisticated people acting like they're wealthy. Nikola Jokic was famously asked how he'd handle a crowd on the road, and he said "I played in Serbia, brother". If you see video of how they act in Serbia at games, it makes literally every stadium in America look like the crowd at a spelling bee. It's gotten expensive to be a fan in America. People who can afford expensive tickets don't go crazy like the people who can't afford them would. That's another reason college sports are the best though. You have to continue to let college kids in free so you get the rowdy fans. You have to have SOME cheap tickets out there. I'd love to see the stadium expand and for MSU not to need $75 per seat, per game for a ticket. Hopefully they can make part of the stadium expensive and generate a lot of revenue, then make MSU football accessible for the young families and the blue collar folks and the lunatics who might have shotgunned one too many Busch Lights in the East tailgate lot.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:27 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:43 pm
It's kind of the economics of sports in America. Pro sports have become wine and cheese parties compared to what they used to be, and what they are in other countries. Stadiums are full of sophisticated people acting like they're wealthy. Nikola Jokic was famously asked how he'd handle a crowd on the road, and he said "I played in Serbia, brother". If you see video of how they act in Serbia at games, it makes literally every stadium in America look like the crowd at a spelling bee. It's gotten expensive to be a fan in America. People who can afford expensive tickets don't go crazy like the people who can't afford them would. That's another reason college sports are the best though. You have to continue to let college kids in free so you get the rowdy fans. You have to have SOME cheap tickets out there. I'd love to see the stadium expand and for MSU not to need $75 per seat, per game for a ticket. Hopefully they can make part of the stadium expensive and generate a lot of revenue, then make MSU football accessible for the young families and the blue collar folks and the lunatics who might have shotgunned one too many Busch Lights in the East tailgate lot.
MSU tickets are more expensive than my local team UNM. I will be buying a few seats this year (none the last 4 years i have lived here) just to watch UNM lose to the Bobcats in August.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:09 am

91catAlum wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:26 pm
BobcatDel wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:14 pm
Joe Bobcat wrote:

Go Cats!
Good post Del! Since you split the cost, who gets to park at the tailgate? Do you take turns? Just curious how you work that out.
Now you got me. You see I always had a white lot tag to go with my season tickets as well as my tailgate pass. We have enough “junk” for our TG in tents, chairs, coolers, grill, heaters, etc that I pull in a small trailer that sits in TG spot. And I park my pickup in white lot or sometimes in neighboring TG spot when they are not going to show. From sounds of it I will have to buy a white tag this year but that will be on me.

Before I bought the trailer, I hauled stuff up in my PU so yes it sat in the spot.

Camo_Cat

Post by Camo_Cat » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:24 am

I'm sure I will catch some flack for this, but here goes anyway. I think a key part of the OP's first post is not being addressed. Sure, we all know prices and inflation and demand are up, so I think most of us don't have a problem with our ticket price going up. Or the tailgate spot going up. Or concession prices increasing. But what I have found interesting is when @91catAlum said that maybe the money he had earmarked previously for another project was now gonna be spent on his tailgate increase instead.

For those that know me, I'm a rabid fan. Have had season tickets for years, through the good times and the bad. My wife complains that 80% (or more) of my wardrobe is Bobcat themed. You know what I'm saying - you're all the same way. But there are times when even I get a little ticked when MSU has it's hands out to its fans and boosters. And it's constant.

I get it - that's how the vast majority of projects are going to be funded when it comes to athletics on campus. And it's the price we have to pay for a successful program and its sustainability. But it does get tiresome when it never ends. What if there were other fans like 91 who had planned on making a contribution to the IPF but decided against it when the cost of tickets, parking, tailgates, etc. went up? And it's not just the IPF; it was the endzone, the scoreboard, the BAC, etc. Next it will be the east side rehab, north endzone expansion, additional skyboxes, etc. And all the while MSU decides to increase prices on everything else.

Yes, every program does it, or at least the good ones that want to grow and get better. But sometimes the excuse of raising prices just because "that's what the other programs do" or "this brings us in line with other programs" doesn't cut it. Why not let fans have a screaming deal on the cost of their tailgate spots? Why not give our fans the best deal around? You can't tell me that MSU is hurting in terms of it football program, and this latest cost increase is finally gonna put us over the top...

Just thinking out loud, because everything in this life is getting more expensive. Sports are supposed to be our outlet, But with rising costs, NIL money, and portal transfers, sports is just becoming a microcosm of everything else that drives us crazy. It's enough to drive the average fan away, and I fear college sports is just one more step closer to pro sports where it's all corporate greed. So let 91 express his frustrations, prop him up, and offer to buy him a beer and a brat at Gold Rush. Because you can be assured he's not the only one.

Steps off soapbox.....

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:37 am

MSU is spending $17 million on parking lot improvements around campus and $13 million of that will be spent around the stadium. I think it's safe to say that at least some of that money is coming from the football fans with these price increases for parking and tailgating spots. I don't think these increases are just the cost of success but also the price for decent infrastructure. They are spending money on much needed improvements.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Cats15

Post by Cats15 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:07 am

AFCAT wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:37 am
MSU is spending $17 million on parking lot improvements around campus and $13 million of that will be spent around the stadium. I think it's safe to say that at least some of that money is coming from the football fans with these price increases for parking and tailgating spots. I don't think these increases are just the cost of success but also the price for decent infrastructure. They are spending money on much needed improvements.
Bring back the mud pits in "student lot"!! Man, those were fun times :wink:

Camo_Cat

Post by Camo_Cat » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:18 am

AFCAT wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:37 am
Oh believe me, I get it. The improvements are needed. A paved lot is better than a mud lot. I thoroughly understand the need to fund raise for things like that. I'm not arguing that point. There will always be improvements needed. I guess what I am saying is in a year when we're that close to making the IPF a reality and MSU is making a big push to fans to complete the fundraising, maybe wait another a year before raising the cost of tailgate spots, or charging for parking in the white lot. Or maybe not double the cost of the tailgate spots after doubling it the year before. The timing could have been better, in my opinion.

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:42 am

91catAlum wrote:

Anybody else concerned by this? We've come to rely on the guys next to us, even to the point of sharing a 20x10 tent to anchor the two spots and turn it into one. Do we get to keep our same neighbors?

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:45 am

GoodTimesAllTheTime wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:35 pm
It sucks how much prices have risen and the only thing so many on here have to say is that we should be grateful because the Cats are winning. Just because we haven’t reached the apex of what people will pay to capture the most value possible shouldn’t be an excuse to treat the fans poorly. Especially because what ends up happening is the spots are purchased by corporate accounts that may or may not be present. It chips away at the culture, created by the fans, that has made Bobcat football so successful and popular.
Kind of the culture now near us. Many of the existing spots are just glorified parking spaces for the people that want to show up 5 minutes before game time, and then act inconvenienced because of all the people having a good time.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz