Spring Ball

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Spring Ball

Post by coloradocat » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:10 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:45 pm
This is what happens with limited access. We get brief articles with a picture that looks like it was taken by someone running by the stadium with the zoom on their camera turned all the way up.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:16 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Thanks AFCAT! I am glad to hear Vigen leave the door open to possibly continue with a 2QB system. I see no reason to not do it. Use Reed like we used Chambers. He's not going to be quite that dynamic in terms of the run game but he is no slouch... can run and is tough. There is no reason not to work him in a few plays a game because history has shown we're probably going to need an experienced backup to come in and lead this team at some point.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:39 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:10 pm
AFCAT wrote:
This is what happens with limited access. We get brief articles with a picture that looks like it was taken by someone running by the stadium with the zoom on their camera turned all the way up.
If you are a member of the QB club and are able to attend, the practice times are listed on page one of this thread. I think there will be more content once the team has a scrimmage. Tough to tell much from just watching a practice. I’m going to head up to a practice soon, but I am just a fan and not one of elite media sports experts, so my opinion won’t mean much.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:43 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:39 pm
coloradocat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
If you are a member of the QB club and are able to attend, the practice times are listed on page one of this thread. I think there will be more content once the team has a scrimmage. Tough to tell much from just watching a practice. I’m going to head up to a practice soon, but I am just a fan and not one of elite media sports experts, so my opinion won’t mean much.
Yeah, I figured QBC can attend. I was more just making a joke about the picture and referencing the discussion about the decline of access for reporters over the years.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:58 pm

AFCAT wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Please Please Please do post any observations you have, big or small, irrelevant or not! I'm starved for some football news!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:03 pm

catatac wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:58 pm
AFCAT wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Please Please Please do post any observations you have, big or small, irrelevant or not! I'm starved for some football news!
Will do.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:51 pm

I was at the first practice. Tommy looked 100%. Not having Sean out there anymore, sure makes a difference. No one close to his size in the QB group. Both of coach Vigen's younger boy were there on sideline playing catch. Grant is a tall kid. When he puts on some weight, he's going to be huge.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:37 pm

PHAT CAT wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:51 pm
I was at the first practice. Tommy looked 100%. Not having Sean out there anymore, sure makes a difference. No one close to his size in the QB group. Both of coach Vigen's younger boy were there on sideline playing catch. Grant is a tall kid. When he puts on some weight, he's going to be huge.
Isn't Jordan Reed 6' 6"?

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:48 pm

The feedback I have received is as follows (disclaimer, this is second hand. I have not attended any practice):

The QB's are all throwing very well. This is particularly good news in regards to Chance Wilson who was rumored to have problems with his throwing last year.

The OG transfer Ezekiel is playing well and most expect him to start. He is smaller but a good athlete and talented.

They have a new drill this Spring (Jody Owens impact) that is a tackling drill for DB's. Apparently this is needed because the RB's are making the DB's look pretty bad, especially Julius Davis.

Pretty vanilla for now.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:09 pm

catatac wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:16 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Thanks AFCAT! I am glad to hear Vigen leave the door open to possibly continue with a 2QB system. I see no reason to not do it. Use Reed like we used Chambers. He's not going to be quite that dynamic in terms of the run game but he is no slouch... can run and is tough. There is no reason not to work him in a few plays a game because history has shown we're probably going to need an experienced backup to come in and lead this team at some point.
Duchien is not too far from being Chambers size

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:48 pm

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:48 pm

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:49 pm

DMMDCats

Post by DMMDCats » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:22 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:48 pm
“Potentially sensitive content”???

Is that warning for gris fans?

Justwinbaby
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Justwinbaby » Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:17 am

DMMDCats wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:22 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:48 pm
“Potentially sensitive content”???

Is that warning for gris fans?
Cat spring ball thread and you feel the need to talk about the other guys? SMH.

DMMDCats

Post by DMMDCats » Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:27 am

There is more to life than just winning.

SMH

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:20 am

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:58 am

My totally amateur take on the Spring practice I watched. I only paid real attention to the offense since the defense wasn't tackling in some of the practice. Tommy is looking fine, no lingering issues that I could see of his injury. Tommy is the obvious #1 QB with Reed the #2. Wilson and Duchien are battling for #3 and I thought they looked almost the same with maybe Duchien looking slightly better. That's just glimpses of one practice though. Reed has an outstanding arm but his decision making isn't all it could be right now. He threw the only interception that I saw and it wasn't even close. Receiver may have ran the wrong route though, I have no idea. The receivers looked pretty dang good as well. I think Javonte King may just be a rising star. King just looks different out there and gives the Cats a real big body receiver that they need. Alexander Jr. was dressed out in upper pads but looked to be wearing sweats pants and didn't play in any of the scrimmage that I saw. I'm not sure if he is dealing with some sort of an injury or not. Adam Jones had a couple of nice runs and it looks like he has put on some muscle as well. Julius Davis took a low shot on one pass play and stayed on the ground for about 30 seconds. It was one of those plays where he was looking back for the pass and after he caught it, the DB blindsided him and took his legs out. I really winced at the hit since it looked like something that could have done damage and I know Davis has a history of injuries at Wisconsin, but he got up after laying on the ground for a bit and seemed okay. Provience is looking good at the TE position too and may just be another of those rising stars. Provience has definitely put on some size in the offseason. Lonergan is still injured, so he didn't play. Rohan Jones also looked pretty decent. I didn't watch much TE or receiver blocking since it was enough just trying to watch the plays unfold. I have been wondering why Max Murphy hasn't been getting any mentions and I saw why. Again, this is just a snapshot in one practice, but he wasn't catching the ball very well. I can see Max as a situational fullback type blocking role though since he is a good size young man. The offensive line still looks pretty darn good, but Sain was playing center and he Webered a few snaps and was low on quite a few others. That was the only real drawback I saw there. Again, I didn't watch much defense, so maybe I'll watch them more next time. Oh, Brendan Hall is just a blast to watch punt. He had a couple of punts that I just sat back in awe watching. Taco struggled to catch a couple of the punts and that was with no one running down to tackle him. There was a decent tail wind on the punts though and that might have been an issue. I believe Duchien was holding on the few kicks I watched.

One last thing. I overheard Bill Lamberty talking about the Cats bringing back the early 2000s Cat head on the helmets for Gold Rush. Seems like a strange choice.

Edit: Okay that last part was an April Fools joke, but nobody bit on it.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:57 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:58 am
My totally amateur take on the Spring practice I watched. I only paid real attention to the offense since the defense wasn't tackling in some of the practice. Tommy is looking fine, no lingering issues that I could see of his injury. Tommy is the obvious #1 QB with Reed the #2. Wilson and Duchien are battling for #3 and I thought they looked almost the same with maybe Duchien looking slightly better. That's just glimpses of one practice though. Reed has an outstanding arm but his decision making isn't all it could be right now. He threw the only interception that I saw and it wasn't even close. Receiver may have ran the wrong route though, I have no idea. The receivers looked pretty dang good as well. I think Javonte King may just be a rising star. King just looks different out there and gives the Cats a real big body receiver that they need. Alexander Jr. was dressed out in upper pads but looked to be wearing sweats pants and didn't play in any of the scrimmage that I saw. I'm not sure if he is dealing with some sort of an injury or not. Adam Jones had a couple of nice runs and it looks like he has put on some muscle as well. Julius Davis took a low shot on one pass play and stayed on the ground for about 30 seconds. It was one of those plays where he was looking back for the pass and after he caught it, the DB blindsided him and took his legs out. I really winced at the hit since it looked like something that could have done damage and I know Davis has a history of injuries at Wisconsin, but he got up after laying on the ground for a bit and seemed okay. Provience is looking good at the TE position too and may just be another of those rising stars. Provience has definitely put on some size in the offseason. Lonergan is still injured, so he didn't play. Rohan Jones also looked pretty decent. I didn't watch much TE or receiver blocking since it was enough just trying to watch the plays unfold. I have been wondering why Max Murphy hasn't been getting any mentions and I saw why. Again, this is just a snapshot in one practice, but he wasn't catching the ball very well. I can see Max as a situational fullback type blocking role though since he is a good size young man. The offensive line still looks pretty darn good, but Sain was playing center and he Webered a few snaps and was low on quite a few others. That was the only real drawback I saw there. Again, I didn't watch much defense, so maybe I'll watch them more next time. Oh, Brendan Hall is just a blast to watch punt. He had a couple of punts that I just sat back in awe watching. Taco struggled to catch a couple of the punts and that was with no one running down to tackle him. There was a decent tail wind on the punts though and that might have been an issue. I believe Duchien was holding on the few kicks I watched.

One last thing. I overheard Bill Lamberty talking about the Cats bringing back the early 2000s Cat head on the helmets for Gold Rush. Seems like a strange choice.

Edit: Okay that last part was an April Fools joke, but nobody bit on it.
I always hated that early 2000's Cat logo, I think Kramer said it looked like a drowned rat or something to that effect, I agree with his assesment.

I liked that Coach was wearing the Cat Script in his interview at the beginning of spring ball, the script logo is one of my all time favorites.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:20 pm