Dylan Rollins commits…

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: Dylan Rollins commits…

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:34 am

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:28 pm

As others have said, Huge get!!

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:34 pm

I'm trying to remember a more hyped OL than Rollins coming to MSU. Usually, OL are anybody's guess since they usually need to develop size and strength. The Thomas brothers come to mind, but they weren't this hyped skill-wise.

The only Montana OL I can think off that were this hyped were McMillan(?) out of Billings Central(?) and Hustad from Helena High. McMillan went to Colorado State(?) and Hustad went to Arizona State. I'm sure there are others.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:38 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:34 pm
I'm trying to remember a more hyped OL than Rollins coming to MSU. Usually, OL are anybody's guess since they usually need to develop size and strength. The Thomas brothers come to mind, but they weren't this hyped skill-wise.

The only Montana OL I can think off that were this hyped were McMillan(?) out of Billings Central(?) and Hustad from Helena High. McMillan went to Colorado State(?) and Hustad went to Arizona State. I'm sure there are others.
Iowa

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:57 pm

MSU’s OL is an absolute freak show.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:04 pm

I like this guy’s size. Ash loved tall linemen, and Dylan looks to be John Weidenaar sized. He’s got the hair for it, too!

LoggerCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by LoggerCat » Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:52 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:38 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:34 pm

Iowa

Jordan Gragert from Libby played guard for Colorado
State. Had a pretty good careee down there.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:32 pm

Mike Person was pretty big deal when he chose the Cats over FBS offers.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:43 am

tetoncat wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:05 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:23 pm
Huge get. Too bad he doesn’t have a redshirt left though.
Why doesn't he, didn't he go on mission right away?
No, he redshirted at BYU in 2021 before going on his mission. I highly doubt redshirting would have been considered anyway with how highly recruited he was out of high school.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:26 am

MSU01 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:43 am
tetoncat wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
No, he redshirted at BYU in 2021 before going on his mission. I highly doubt redshirting would have been considered anyway with how highly recruited he was out of high school.
I won’t pretend to be super familiar with missions, but I was always under the impression they weren’t supposed to be working out and training while on mission. He’s a great talent, but he’s also been away from football for 2 years. I do think that matters a little in terms of immediate readiness.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:35 am

Yeah, it will be interesting to see how he gets into football shape and learns the playbook in the few months he has between the end of his mission in May and the start of the season. Obviously, lots of other players who have done missions have managed to do it, but I wouldn’t expect to Rollins to nail down a starting position for a while.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:33 am

A brief search of Mormon missionary conduct reveals that they are required at least 30 minutes of exercise a day in addition to their physical, walking or riding wherever they go.
If he was allowed in any additional training would be a?. But I’m sure it’s not discouraged to do a few push-ups and other exercises throughout the day. No first-hand knowledge on my part
Nonetheless, I’m excited to see how well Dylan progresses when he gets here

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:11 am

kwcat wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:33 am
A brief search of Mormon missionary conduct reveals that they are required at least 30 minutes of exercise a day in addition to their physical, walking or riding wherever they go.
If he was allowed in any additional training would be a?. But I’m sure it’s not discouraged to do a few push-ups and other exercises throughout the day. No first-hand knowledge on my part
Nonetheless, I’m excited to see how well Dylan progresses when he gets here
Yeah, I can't imagine they'd discourage him from doing some training. At least as much training as a senior in high school is doing before he graduates in June. He shouldn't be starting from zero, and then if he starts training hard in May, I don't see how he's not pretty close to ready in August. He can have his lungs ready for sure. If he hasn't done anything in the weight room for two years that'll be a different story, but having been a part of the BYU program for a year, he knows what he needs to do and I'm betting he's done some of it.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:53 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:26 am
MSU01 wrote:
tetoncat wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
I won’t pretend to be super familiar with missions, but I was always under the impression they weren’t supposed to be working out and training while on mission. He’s a great talent, but he’s also been away from football for 2 years. I do think that matters a little in terms of immediate readiness.
I won't pretend to be super familiar with missions either, but from talking to a few people who have done them I never got the impression that their free time is so restricted that they wouldn't have the opportunity to work out if they wanted to. He also has the advantage of doing his mission in a major urban area that has plenty of high-quality training facilities available to him. It's entirely possible that Dylan won't be ready to be a full-time starter by August, but at the same time I think the coaching staff has shown that they will find a way for a player who's good enough to play to contribute somehow if he's ready. Omar would be a good example, he wasn't a starter as a freshman but still played regularly in the OL rotation. Redshirting players who are ready to play is a thing of the past in the transfer portal era.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:15 am

My bigger concern would be his access to equipment and strength coaching. Him being in the SeaTac area means there are gyms, but that still costs money. Especially the coaching

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:00 am

PHAT CAT wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:57 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:55 pm
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:48 pm
catatac wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:41 pm
This is an awesome get. Does he have a decent shot to crack the starting lineup in 2024 or is that a long shot with who all we have returning.
They lost 2 starters and one of their top backups, so he absolutely has a shot
I have a hard time believing than he got very out of shape. Rusty, maybe. He has a shot. He’ll factor in at some point. MSU is sick along the OL.
The Cats are "sick" with Missoula Sentinel Spartans.
That's at least four from Sentinel on the roster now, right? Dolan, Jones, Ortt, and Rollins...am I forgetting anyone? That's got to be a gigantic thorn in Booby's side.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:47 am

John K wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:00 am
PHAT CAT wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:57 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:55 pm
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:48 pm
catatac wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:41 pm
This is an awesome get. Does he have a decent shot to crack the starting lineup in 2024 or is that a long shot with who all we have returning.
They lost 2 starters and one of their top backups, so he absolutely has a shot
I have a hard time believing than he got very out of shape. Rusty, maybe. He has a shot. He’ll factor in at some point. MSU is sick along the OL.
The Cats are "sick" with Missoula Sentinel Spartans.
That's at least four from Sentinel on the roster now, right? Dolan, Jones, Ortt, and Rollins...am I forgetting anyone? That's got to be a gigantic thorn in Booby's side.
Zac Crews

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:22 am

MSU01 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:53 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:26 am
MSU01 wrote:
tetoncat wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
I won't pretend to be super familiar with missions either, but from talking to a few people who have done them I never got the impression that their free time is so restricted that they wouldn't have the opportunity to work out if they wanted to. He also has the advantage of doing his mission in a major urban area that has plenty of high-quality training facilities available to him. It's entirely possible that Dylan won't be ready to be a full-time starter by August, but at the same time I think the coaching staff has shown that they will find a way for a player who's good enough to play to contribute somehow if he's ready. Omar would be a good example, he wasn't a starter as a freshman but still played regularly in the OL rotation. Redshirting players who are ready to play is a thing of the past in the transfer portal era.
“Missionaries have one day off per week, but outside of the occasional game of catch with a football, missionaries have little to no specific football training for two years.”

https://byucougars.com/news/2023/08/14/ ... -languages

toM StUber

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:25 am

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:15 am
My bigger concern would be his access to equipment and strength coaching. Him being in the SeaTac area means there are gyms, but that still costs money. Especially the coaching
i was told by a friend of bobby h that he was power lifting railroad ties and pushing amazon trucks around town to keep in shape.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Mtcatfan » Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:46 am

Montanabob wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:25 am
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:15 am
i was told by a friend of bobby h that he was power lifting railroad ties and pushing amazon trucks around town to keep in shape.
At 4:30 in the morning. 😉