Grant Vigen

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Re: Grant Vigen

Post by MSU01 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:58 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:42 pm
I remember hauck did the same thing with jory Choate, he might have even requested an in home visit if I remember correctly…. Hahaha

I absolutely hate coach hauck….. but this is some pretty solid trolling.
Is it trolling, or is it just Coach Hauck doing his job thoroughly? I certainly hope Coach Vigen is making offers to any Montana player he thinks is worthy of a spot, even if that player has strong existing family ties to the UM program and is likely to go there over MSU. You never know, some kids have "flipped" to the other school in the past and a lot can happen in the next year to potentially affect a player's decision making process.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:17 am

MSU01 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:58 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
I remember hauck did the same thing with jory Choate, he might have even requested an in home visit if I remember correctly…. Hahaha

Is it trolling, or is it just Coach Hauck doing his job thoroughly? I certainly hope Coach Vigen is making offers to any Montana player he thinks is worthy of a spot, even if that player has strong existing family ties to the UM program and is likely to go there over MSU. You never know, some kids have "flipped" to the other school in the past and a lot can happen in the next year to potentially affect a player's decision making process.
Offering kids with strong ties to the rival is smart, especially if you can get them to flip. Offering the rival's head coaches kid is trolling. Funny, but definitely trolling.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:28 pm

100% trolling.

Which is hilarious. It makes my hate for him drop from a 10 to a 9.8

FTG- GO CATS GO!

HookedOnGriz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by HookedOnGriz » Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:15 pm

I disagree it’s trolling and more a sign of respect. He wants the best players in the state. If this kid falls into that, then he should get a Griz and Cats offer. Anything less is not doing your job well.

Where there could be a funny move though is them offering him first. That was pretty great IMO.

Also there’s always a chance Vigen leaves for a different job next year or in future so offering this kid makes even more sense if you’re trying to secure the top talent in state.

MTmadeCat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by MTmadeCat » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:13 pm

St George wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:46 am
Montanabob wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:53 pm
mslacatfan wrote:

if you remember, he got PSU Coaches kid.
I would not want my kid living in Portland. As much as I hate the gris, I'd pick living in Missoula over Portland.
I mean, Missoula has been very Portland-esque for quite some time now. Obviously with fewer riots.

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:18 pm

MTmadeCat wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:13 pm
St George wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

I would not want my kid living in Portland. As much as I hate the gris, I'd pick living in Missoula over Portland.
I mean, Missoula has been very Portland-esque for quite some time now. Obviously with fewer riots.
Missoula isn’t anything like Portland. Portland is bad, really bad. I’d take Missoula every time over Portland.

Hating the griz since 02.

MTmadeCat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by MTmadeCat » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:22 pm

MSU01 wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

Owen Reynolds, this year, for example. This is a big difference I have noticed between Choate’s staff & Vigen’s. If Choate wanted a Montana kid, scholarship or walk on, he was gonna do everything he could to try and get him. Owen stated that he grew up a Bobcat fan coming to games here, but the griz offered him and contacted him more frequently and showed more interest. How does Vigen/staff give an in state kid an offer (any offer) and get outcompeted for him by um? It’s my belief that if you believe a Montana kid is good enough to suit up here and extend ANY offer, you do everything you can to get him on our side.

MTmadeCat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by MTmadeCat » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:32 pm

CodyCat wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:18 pm
MTmadeCat wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:13 pm
St George wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

Missoula isn’t anything like Portland. Portland is bad, really bad. I’d take Missoula every time over Portland.
600k more people and it’s not terribly far off. The artsy, hippy nature along with the homelessness, love for every new microbrew, and man buns with chaco’s and Carhartt pants rolled up to the shins is enough for me. I stay clear of both places as much as possible.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:42 pm

CatBot wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:40 pm
i bet Hauck is thinking DE/S and probably 160 to 180 tackles a season.
He'd be the biggest safety in the league at 6'-6" and he's probably a few 10ths over safety speed.
(We are talking about the Raptor's QB aren't we?)

2024 Resume dominance

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:38 pm

I don't think Hauck is trolling because I think Grant Vigen has huge potential as a QB. He's a big, strong dude, who just needs time to grow into his frame. I haven't seen any of his hoop highlights this year. He's not Ryan Leaf athletic-wise but fairly athletic. It'll be interesting to see how much he develops this coming season.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:49 pm

MTmadeCat wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:22 pm
MSU01 wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

Owen Reynolds, this year, for example. This is a big difference I have noticed between Choate’s staff & Vigen’s. If Choate wanted a Montana kid, scholarship or walk on, he was gonna do everything he could to try and get him. Owen stated that he grew up a Bobcat fan coming to games here, but the griz offered him and contacted him more frequently and showed more interest. How does Vigen/staff give an in state kid an offer (any offer) and get outcompeted for him by um? It’s my belief that if you believe a Montana kid is good enough to suit up here and extend ANY offer, you do everything you can to get him on our side.
Happens all the time on both sides. Rylan Ortt plays for the Cats even though his family members were gris fans and actually played there. RJ Fitzgerald’s dad played for the gris and RJ grew up a gris fan.
Last edited by AFCAT on Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:51 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:42 pm
CatBot wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:40 pm
i bet Hauck is thinking DE/S and probably 160 to 180 tackles a season.
He'd be the biggest safety in the league at 6'-6" and he's probably a few 10ths over safety speed.
(We are talking about the Raptor's QB aren't we?)
I believe CatBot is joking.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:21 pm

Bobbi seems to have successfully trolled BN at the very least.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:37 pm

MTmadeCat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

I gotta believe Owen Reynolds went UM after his brother retired without getting much playing time at MSU. That sort of experience can sour a family on a school real quick, no matter the circumstances.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:12 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:49 pm
MTmadeCat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

Happens all the time on both sides. Rylan Ortt plays for the Cats even though his family members were gris fans and actually played there. RJ Fitzgerald’s dad played for the gris and RJ grew up a gris fan.
We have now entered "Jeff Choate got any MT kid he wanted" narrative territory to try and downgrade Vigen. Do you want me to share with you all how well Vigen has done recruiting MT since he arrived? It has been just as good as Choate in number and talent. Actually, Vigen's one big miss was not getting Junior Bergen to jump on board back in January 2021. Other than that every kid from MT we've brought in has been a good get.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:18 pm

84CatGrad wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:37 pm
MTmadeCat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

I gotta believe Owen Reynolds went UM after his brother retired without getting much playing time at MSU. That sort of experience can sour a family on a school real quick, no matter the circumstances.
Elijah Reynolds was a TE at MSU. It’s not likely that he and his family would be sour due to a lack of playing time. That would be unrealistic. MSU had three of the best TEs in the BSC last season in Pickering, Snell and Lonergan. Not to mention Provience. This would’ve been his year.

MSU has a lot of depth. Not at every position but overall. It’s difficult to get playing time right away, especially considering the Covid situation.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:15 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:12 pm
AFCAT wrote:
MTmadeCat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

We have now entered "Jeff Choate got any MT kid he wanted" narrative territory to try and downgrade Vigen. Do you want me to share with you all how well Vigen has done recruiting MT since he arrived? It has been just as good as Choate in number and talent. Actually, Vigen's one big miss was not getting Junior Bergen to jump on board back in January 2021. Other than that every kid from MT we've brought in has been a good get.
Share with me or the person I responded to? I agree with you. I was just commenting that players loyalty to Montana schools switches all the time.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:54 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:15 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
MTmadeCat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

Share with me or the person I responded to? I agree with you. I was just commenting that players loyalty to Montana schools switches all the time.
Poster you responded to. I get the "player x wanted to be a Bobcat or Griz but got a better offer from the other" issue but it happens every year and usually with PWO kids who maybe get some late money to get them to commit. Rylan Ortt only got a PWO but really wanted to be a Griz so how come Bobby didn't up the ante? Again, Jeff was incredible for getting us back in competition in many areas but he was not perfect with recruiting MT kids...because no coach is. It's recruiting and you have a board based off your scouting. The coaches stay true to it which is why Choate offered Haucks nephew several years ago and Bobby offered Grant Vigen.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:30 am

"Elijah Reynolds was a TE at MSU. It’s not likely that he and his family would be sour due to a lack of playing time. That would be unrealistic."

Since when have parents playing time expectations ever been realistic?

MTmadeCat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by MTmadeCat » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:27 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
MTmadeCat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

Not an attempt to downgrade Vigen at all. I love him and am glad he’s a bobcat. More so referencing the players we’re not getting rather than are, as I personally love more of them on the roster because they all seem to make a difference sooner or later. Didn’t MSU have over (or close to) 50 MT kids on the roster for several Choate years?