Info about season tickets?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Re: Info about season tickets?

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:39 am

GoodTimesAllTheTime wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:37 am
AFCAT wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:32 pm
Just got my season ticket renewal form today. Looks like the prices went up a modest $2.50 per game for my section but the big hit is $120 price ($20 per game) for each one of my two parking passes in the South Fieldhouse lot. Those passes used to be free.
Not just used to be free, but the stated reason also just isn’t true. I parked there every game last season and there was always at least a handful of unused spots. No problems getting in and finding one an hour before kickoff either. They could at least be honest about charging a premium because they want to, not out of some concern for us, the season ticket holders.
The lot was full at the homecoming game an hour before kickoff. We were a little later than usual that game and had to turn around and park elsewhere. The NAU game we almost had the same issue. It's definitely a bit of a money grab, but also a way to ensure people with passes get a spot.

GoodTimesAllTheTime
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by GoodTimesAllTheTime » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:50 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:39 am
AFCAT wrote:
Just got my season ticket renewal form today. Looks like the prices went up a modest $2.50 per game for my section but the big hit is $120 price ($20 per game) for each one of my two parking passes in the South Fieldhouse lot. Those passes used to be free.
Not just used to be free, but the stated reason also just isn’t true. I parked there every game last season and there was always at least a handful of unused spots. No problems getting in and finding one an hour before kickoff either. They could at least be honest about charging a premium because they want to, not out of some concern for us, the season ticket holders.
The lot was full at the homecoming game an hour before kickoff. We were a little later than usual that game and had to turn around and park elsewhere. The NAU game we almost had the same issue. It's definitely a bit of a money grab, but also a way to ensure people with passes get a spot.
I recall there being empty spaces right next to our car on the east end of the lot for both of those games, but I obviously could be wrong. It’s frustrating to pay more and lose amenities.

It’s additionally frustrating because on the tax form the bobcat club sent out last week, the fair market value they calculated for the parking was $75 or something like that. So it ends up being a $200 swing, when you calculate the “lost” value and the new pricing. They could do this same plan for $10 per game and that would be more palatable even.

I get that it is an unrealized revenue source, but is it the best idea to continually make things more expensive for people who are already paying a lot of money? To even be in the $500 donation level, you’re already spending over $1,500 per year on tickets alone.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:29 am

Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:50 am
BleedingBLue wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
I recall there being empty spaces right next to our car on the east end of the lot for both of those games, but I obviously could be wrong. It’s frustrating to pay more and lose amenities.

It’s additionally frustrating because on the tax form the bobcat club sent out last week, the fair market value they calculated for the parking was $75 or something like that. So it ends up being a $200 swing, when you calculate the “lost” value and the new pricing. They could do this same plan for $10 per game and that would be more palatable even.

I get that it is an unrealized revenue source, but is it the best idea to continually make things more expensive for people who are already paying a lot of money? To even be in the $500 donation level, you’re already spending over $1,500 per year on tickets alone.
Just a couple notes to go along with things here.

First, there may have been open spaces an hour before, but later there wasn't for many games. The Athletic Department definitely got to hear about it many times over so there was a problem with that lot being over-provisioned.

As for the price, considering 6 home games a year it seems to me they priced this in line with market value and didn't try to overreach. All of the private lots around the stadium I believe are right around $20 per game so for an entire season same amount. Plus you will get parking for all of the playoff games for that price as well, and always be guaranteed a spot the lot will never be full no matter what time you get to the game.

As for you last comment...
To even be in the $500 donation level, you’re already spending over $1,500 per year on tickets alone.
I'd just like to remind folks that you can give to the Bobcat Club outside of just the mandatory donations for seats. Got two tickets in the endzone that only "requires" like $50 in donation? You can give more to get to the giving level without buying a bunch more tickets. Yes I get it, makes it cost a lot more and maybe not worth it, but I think people often forget that the Bobcat Club is an organization that is built for funding all athletic scholarships across all sports at MSU. Yes they use levers for Football to "force" people to give because it is the popular spot and they are able to do so to help in the mission and because otherwise people wouldn't be giving to the Bobcat Club in many cases. But Bobcat Club (MSU Athletic Scholarship Association) is the underlying engine that allows for sports to function at MSU at the level that folks have become accustomed. Without it, all the QB club, 6th man, NIL, etc money would be for nothing as we wouldn't be able to fund scholarships for the students.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

GoodTimesAllTheTime
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by GoodTimesAllTheTime » Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:08 pm

kmax wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:29 am
BleedingBLue wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

First, there may have been open spaces an hour before, but later there wasn't for many games. The Athletic Department definitely got to hear about it many times over so there was a problem with that lot being over-provisioned.

As for the price, considering 6 home games a year it seems to me they priced this in line with market value and didn't try to overreach. All of the private lots around the stadium I believe are right around $20 per game so for an entire season same amount. Plus you will get parking for all of the playoff games for that price as well, and always be guaranteed a spot the lot will never be full no matter what time you get to the game.

To even be in the $500 donation level, you’re already spending over $1,500 per year on tickets alone.
I'd just like to remind folks that you can give to the Bobcat Club outside of just the mandatory donations for seats. Got two tickets in the endzone that only "requires" like $50 in donation? You can give more to get to the giving level without buying a bunch more tickets. Yes I get it, makes it cost a lot more and maybe not worth it, but I think people often forget that the Bobcat Club is an organization that is built for funding all athletic scholarships across all sports at MSU. Yes they use levers for Football to "force" people to give because it is the popular spot and they are able to do so to help in the mission and because otherwise people wouldn't be giving to the Bobcat Club in many cases. But Bobcat Club (MSU Athletic Scholarship Association) is the underlying engine that allows for sports to function at MSU at the level that folks have become accustomed. Without it, all the QB club, 6th man, NIL, etc money would be for nothing as we wouldn't be able to fund scholarships for the students.
First, $120 literally is not the market value they assessed just the last tax year. It’s a benefit that is being subtracted and replaced with an expensive purchase. Every benefit you mention is something that was previously included with season tickets outside the end zone. Who are these people showing up right at kickoff and not having spots in the white lot on such a regular basis that the athletic department felt compelled to act? Are they worth listening to over the hundred of people who don’t have that problem?

To your last point, what is the point of giving extra up to the $500 minimum to be allowed to buy a parking pass, when as you say, people could just park in the other lots run by businesses for the same amount? That makes no sense. People don’t have unlimited money to spend on bobcat athletics. Every dollar spent on something like parking is a dollar that isn’t going to NIL, QB club, or, god forbid, donations to the school separate from athletics. It’s crazy to squeeze loyal fans for every dollar for fewer and fewer benefits that make you feel like your loyalty is rewarded. People will pay as long as the Cats are good and winning, but what happens if they only win 6 games a year and there aren’t sellouts every game? Will people stay season ticket holders just for the privilege of being able to say you’re a bigger fan? Seems short-sighted to me.

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:18 pm

Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:08 pm
kmax wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

First, $120 literally is not the market value they assessed just the last tax year. It’s a benefit that is being subtracted and replaced with an expensive purchase. Every benefit you mention is something that was previously included with season tickets outside the end zone. Who are these people showing up right at kickoff and not having spots in the white lot on such a regular basis that the athletic department felt compelled to act? Are they worth listening to over the hundred of people who don’t have that problem?

To your last point, what is the point of giving extra up to the $500 minimum to be allowed to buy a parking pass, when as you say, people could just park in the other lots run by businesses for the same amount? That makes no sense. People don’t have unlimited money to spend on bobcat athletics. Every dollar spent on something like parking is a dollar that isn’t going to NIL, QB club, or, god forbid, donations to the school separate from athletics. It’s crazy to squeeze loyal fans for every dollar for fewer and fewer benefits that make you feel like your loyalty is rewarded. People will pay as long as the Cats are good and winning, but what happens if they only win 6 games a year and there aren’t sellouts every game? Will people stay season ticket holders just for the privilege of being able to say you’re a bigger fan? Seems short-sighted to me.
Happened to our group three times last year. We have 3 white passes and on 3 different occasion people showed up and even though the passes weren’t being used they couldn’t get into the white lot because it was full. I told them to come earlier and enjoy the tailgates and they wouldn’t run into that problem. White lot was over provisioned for sure last year.

If your left, you aren’t right.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:38 pm

kmax wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

Hey, I'm not trying to tell you how to spend your money. Everyone's situation is different. I am pointing out the fallacy in the argument that anyone at the $500 level that could by a pass is already spending $1500+ in tickets. A Bobcat Club donation is NOT the same as a ticket. Believe it or not there are many folks who give much more to the Bobcat Club than what is required by their seat donation.

As for the value, again I am not going to argue over the perceived value here. I was simply stating that it was indeed in line with other parking options and carries a couple extra perks such as guaranteed availability and potential for coverage on additional games if they happen. It is your choice what you choose to do.

As for this comment:
Every dollar spent on something like parking is a dollar that isn’t going to NIL, QB club, or, god forbid, donations to the school separate from athletics.
This gets to the crux of my point which you obviously missed entirely. The Bobcat Club funds scholarships. The cost of a scholarship is only getting more and more expensive. Parking fees, tailgate fees, required seat donations, etc. in addition to general donations and endowment proceeds all go to funding scholarships. For every dollar of scholarships that the Bobcat Club cannot fund, it has to come from other areas of the athletics budget which could mean fewer coaches, lower salaries for coaches, fewer recruiting trips, etc., etc., etc. Don't get me wrong, NIL, QB Club, and others are hugely (massively!) important but the basis for getting kids into school and on scholarship is the Bobcat Club and it isn't debatable.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:40 pm

kmax wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

Thanks KMAX!

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

GoodTimesAllTheTime
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by GoodTimesAllTheTime » Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:06 pm

kmax wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:38 pm
kmax wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

Hey, I'm not trying to tell you how to spend your money. Everyone's situation is different. I am pointing out the fallacy in the argument that anyone at the $500 level that could by a pass is already spending $1500+ in tickets. A Bobcat Club donation is NOT the same as a ticket. Believe it or not there are many folks who give much more to the Bobcat Club than what is required by their seat donation.

As for the value, again I am not going to argue over the perceived value here. I was simply stating that it was indeed in line with other parking options and carries a couple extra perks such as guaranteed availability and potential for coverage on additional games if they happen. It is your choice what you choose to do.

As for this comment:
Every dollar spent on something like parking is a dollar that isn’t going to NIL, QB club, or, god forbid, donations to the school separate from athletics.
This gets to the crux of my point which you obviously missed entirely. The Bobcat Club funds scholarships. The cost of a scholarship is only getting more and more expensive. Parking fees, tailgate fees, required seat donations, etc. in addition to general donations and endowment proceeds all go to funding scholarships. For every dollar of scholarships that the Bobcat Club cannot fund, it has to come from other areas of the athletics budget which could mean fewer coaches, lower salaries for coaches, fewer recruiting trips, etc., etc., etc. Don't get me wrong, NIL, QB Club, and others are hugely (massively!) important but the basis for getting kids into school and on scholarship is the Bobcat Club and it isn't debatable.
Just because someone doesn’t agree doesn’t mean they missed your point. You can debated a point without being snooty about it.

I believe it would result it more net money for the Bobcat Club not to nickel and dime people who already support them and instead cultivate a culture of reciprocity. I think people would be more likely to buy an MSU license plate, go to the blue and gold ball, send extra donations at the end of the year, etc. if it didn’t seem so explicitly transactional on the side of the athletic department. It is disingenuous of them to say that there is only a modest $2.50 per game price increase, when on top of that they are dropping an amenity and then expecting that you pay for the privilege.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:53 pm

Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:06 pm
kmax wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:38 pm
kmax wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

As for this comment:
Just because someone doesn’t agree doesn’t mean they missed your point. You can debated a point without being snooty about it.

I believe it would result it more net money for the Bobcat Club not to nickel and dime people who already support them and instead cultivate a culture of reciprocity. I think people would be more likely to buy an MSU license plate, go to the blue and gold ball, send extra donations at the end of the year, etc. if it didn’t seem so explicitly transactional on the side of the athletic department. It is disingenuous of them to say that there is only a modest $2.50 per game price increase, when on top of that they are dropping an amenity and then expecting that you pay for the privilege.
Again, you are welcome to feel that way about the changes. I get it, it sucks to lose something that was once free. Sadly, the thought that people would instead give more if they got more for free hasn't been the case. Having been on the board for many years getting those extra donations outside of the transactional ones is extremely difficult. Again there are many who do it, but when looking at the number of donors to the Bobcat Club that number that gives extra is pretty small comparatively overall.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:47 pm

Good times all the time seems they are not always having good times at all times.

GoodTimesAllTheTime
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by GoodTimesAllTheTime » Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:10 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:47 pm
Good times all the time seems they are not always having good times at all times.
It’s more aspirational

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:58 am

I am in the process of renewing my season tickets. I see there is an option for season ticket holder hoodies - "Exclusive Season Ticket Holder UA Hoodie". Does anyone know what these look like?

Hating the griz since 02.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:27 am

CodyCat wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:58 am
I am in the process of renewing my season tickets. I see there is an option for season ticket holder hoodies - "Exclusive Season Ticket Holder UA Hoodie". Does anyone know what these look like?
I didn’t see that offer. I guess I’m missing out this year.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Camo_Cat » Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:34 am

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:27 am
CodyCat wrote:
I have already renewed my season tickets for the year, and did not see that option either. Damn it - I want my hoodie!

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

DMMDCats

Post by DMMDCats » Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:49 am

$68.75 for a hoodie?

No limit. Buy ‘em up.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:54 am

Camo_Cat wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:34 am
AFCAT wrote:
CodyCat wrote:
I have already renewed my season tickets for the year, and did not see that option either. Damn it - I want my hoodie!
I'm already in the exclusive Costco Gold Star member club, so I'm not sure I need to brag more by purchasing and wearing this new MSU season ticket holder hoodie.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Camo_Cat

Post by Camo_Cat » Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:20 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:54 am
Camo_Cat wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:34 am
AFCAT wrote:
CodyCat wrote:
I'm already in the exclusive Costco Gold Star member club, so I'm not sure I need to brag more by purchasing and wearing this new MSU season ticket holder hoodie.

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay