Old scoreboard

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Re: Old scoreboard

Post by 94VegasCat » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:07 am

I was hoping there’d be some magical flipping of the switch and it would light up. The sound was crisp and clear. Put 20k in the house and I think it’ll be ok. Fingers crossed. I’m expecting to be blown away.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:18 am

94VegasCat wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:07 am
I was hoping there’d be some magical flipping of the switch and it would light up. The sound was crisp and clear. Put 20k in the house and I think it’ll be ok. Fingers crossed. I’m expecting to be blown away.
I was the same way. I was thinking; “Okay, they are probably going to surprise us at the end of the game by playing some hype video on the big board” but they never did. Damn.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Helenabobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Helenabobcat » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:42 pm

I don't think the new sound system is even hooked up yet.

snarf
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by snarf » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:58 pm

Helenabobcat wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:42 pm
Portions are. The PA announcer was coming through the scoreboard but all the music was coming from a DJ that was playing on the sideline.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:33 pm

lutecat wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:29 am
AFCAT wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:14 pm
The fixed digit board is working but not the big board.

PA system through the big board is working though.
Here's what I'll say about that. I didn't notice it was from the big board. It sounded natural and it didn't sound like it sucked. All of which are great I think.
I like it!

Am I the only one that thinks it's so big it looks small? In person. I don't know how else to describe it. Or maybe it's because you don't have stands for a frame of reference.
I haven't seen it in person, but I still can't get over the idea that it's roughly the same size as a basketball court (This was debated in another thread). That seems pretty spectacular to me. lol

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:48 pm

catatac wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:33 pm
lutecat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:14 pm
The fixed digit board is working but not the big board.

PA system through the big board is working though.
Here's what I'll say about that. I didn't notice it was from the big board. It sounded natural and it didn't sound like it sucked. All of which are great I think.
I like it!

Am I the only one that thinks it's so big it looks small? In person. I don't know how else to describe it. Or maybe it's because you don't have stands for a frame of reference.
I haven't seen it in person, but I still can't get over the idea that it's roughly the same size as a basketball court (This was debated in another thread). That seems pretty spectacular to me. lol
Basketball court is 94’x50’ except I’ve seen some smaller. Scoreboard is 103’x35’/38’

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:35 am

snarf wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:58 pm
Helenabobcat wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:42 pm
Portions are. The PA announcer was coming through the scoreboard but all the music was coming from a DJ that was playing on the sideline.
That makes sense. I was thinking the PA sounded great but the music was coming from field level. I assumed none of it was working, and the PA system just sounded good because it wasn't coming through blown speakers, plus there were about 2000 people there. By the way, I've been to many regular season games in that stadium with less fans than Saturday.

Au Blue
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Au Blue » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:17 pm

lutecat wrote:

Not the only one. But when comparing the photo of the old and new scoreboard side by side, it's massive. I assume when everyone sees it fully functional in the fall it will finally sink in.

The movie screens at Silver Bow Drive In near Butte are 30' x 60'.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:50 pm

Au Blue wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:17 pm
lutecat wrote:

Not the only one. But when comparing the photo of the old and new scoreboard side by side, it's massive. I assume when everyone sees it fully functional in the fall it will finally sink in.

The movie screens at Silver Bow Drive In near Butte are 30' x 60'.
The ads for the Vegetable Red Zone are going to look gigantic!

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:30 am

How much of the screen is going to be utilized? If we use the basketball size as reference, will the picture be baseline to baseline? Or will it be top of the key to top of the key? Will it be broken into sections? Has this been discussed and I need to reread the entire thread?

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:31 am

94VegasCat wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:30 am
How much of the screen is going to be utilized? If we use the basketball size as reference, will the picture be baseline to baseline? Or will it be top of the key to top of the key? Will it be broken into sections? Has this been discussed and I need to reread the entire thread?
It has been discussed and I'm not going back to look for details, but it is something like FT line to FT line will be used for video/pictures, and each end will mostly be used for advertising. I'm guessing it has the capability to make one big picture on the whole screen but it will not be utilized that way for the most part.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:36 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:31 am
94VegasCat wrote:
It has been discussed and I'm not going back to look for details, but it is something like FT line to FT line will be used for video/pictures, and each end will mostly be used for advertising. I'm guessing it has the capability to make one big picture on the whole screen but it will not be utilized that way for the most part.
I'm interested to see how they utilize the screen to show the score and game information, there are some pretty cool things that could be implemented with a screen that large like live, updating player stats in addition to the traditional time/score/down/yardage/TO information.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:44 am

MSU01 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:36 am
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:31 am
94VegasCat wrote:
I'm interested to see how they utilize the screen to show the score and game information, there are some pretty cool things that could be implemented with a screen that large like live, updating player stats in addition to the traditional time/score/down/yardage/TO information.
That's what they do on a very similar board at SDSU. I found myself looking at it on almost every play. Really good info. Idaho actually has it too, but it's way up in the ceiling. I like being able to see those stats along with the standard scoreboard info.

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:14 am

I was looking at the UNM football stadium facitily page and noticed they highlighed there videoboard. 80x32.

https://golobos.com/university-stadium-info/

Hating the griz since 02.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:34 pm

CodyCat wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:14 am
I was looking at the UNM football stadium facitily page and noticed they highlighed there videoboard. 80x32.

https://golobos.com/university-stadium-info/
Slackers...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:43 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:24 am
Montanabob wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:53 am
lutecat wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:20 am
94VegasCat wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:27 am
I’m not sure how much would need to change structurally, but has there ever been discussion of a video/message panel that wraps around the railing of the stadium? Maybe not ‘on’ the railing but maybe at the base of it. I’m not sure how else to describe it but we’ve all seen it in multiple venue types. Basketball, hockey, baseball, and football.
They have some at the other stadium in state that houses the bad guys.

With how our stadium is set up they'd have to go on the top of the east side bleachers maybe?
east side? like putting lipstick on a pig. nah.
Hey! Us Eastsiders don’t appreciate you disparaging our home, capisce. Yeah, we ain’t as nice as you Westsiders with your fancy schmancy press box, Stadium Club, and beer garden. We don’t get to sit up as high and mighty like the Southsiders do with those 5-star eating establishments under the stands serving Turkey legs. Us Eastsiders are proud though, we sit in the oldest part of the stadium, the only seats that have been around for two national championship teams and bathroom lines so long you might get to see the second half, if you are lucky. Yeah, our area has rust spots and no hand rails, but that makes us tough. We like risking our lives in the wintertime climbing those icy steps to our seats. Show our stands some respect!

Got it!

=D^ =D^ =D^ =D^

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

Camo_Cat

Post by Camo_Cat » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:03 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:43 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:24 am
Montanabob wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:53 am
lutecat wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:20 am
94VegasCat wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:27 am
I’m not sure how much would need to change structurally, but has there ever been discussion of a video/message panel that wraps around the railing of the stadium? Maybe not ‘on’ the railing but maybe at the base of it. I’m not sure how else to describe it but we’ve all seen it in multiple venue types. Basketball, hockey, baseball, and football.
They have some at the other stadium in state that houses the bad guys.

With how our stadium is set up they'd have to go on the top of the east side bleachers maybe?
east side? like putting lipstick on a pig. nah.
Hey! Us Eastsiders don’t appreciate you disparaging our home, capisce. Yeah, we ain’t as nice as you Westsiders with your fancy schmancy press box, Stadium Club, and beer garden. We don’t get to sit up as high and mighty like the Southsiders do with those 5-star eating establishments under the stands serving Turkey legs. Us Eastsiders are proud though, we sit in the oldest part of the stadium, the only seats that have been around for two national championship teams and bathroom lines so long you might get to see the second half, if you are lucky. Yeah, our area has rust spots and no hand rails, but that makes us tough. We like risking our lives in the wintertime climbing those icy steps to our seats. Show our stands some respect!

Got it!

=D^ =D^ =D^ =D^
I'm a fellow Eastsider - fuhget about it!

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:15 am

Looks like the framing around the board is mostly finished. I also saw the play clock is on for some reason. The little board was lit up the other day as well. I know the Cats missed a day or two of practice during Spring ball due to the weather but I figured they'd have made those days up by now. Could be something else going on too, just strange to see the clock up and running on a Saturday.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

PHAT CAT

Post by PHAT CAT » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:32 pm

Pee-Wee football camp, going on.

bobcats00
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by bobcats00 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:00 pm

Sounds like they are testing speakers today. Sounds pretty good from the bottom of the hill behind the track. Can hear the music inside my office!