Wayyyyyy too early 2024 predictions

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Wayyyyyy too early 2024 predictions

Post by WalkOn79 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:13 am

MSU01 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:21 pm
WalkOn79 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:58 pm
jgrilley406 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:51 pm
Whether the cats make it to Frisco or not next year is gonna come down to cat/griz again…very few teams that make it play on the road in the semi’s and both cats and griz will be highly ranked yet again next brawl, so winner of that game will be going to Frisco yet again in 2024.
I agree with this.
Was the 2021 season really that long ago?
No it wasn't, but you're not likely to catch lightning in a bottle like we did and get a semi at home with an 8 seed.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:30 pm

I'm waiting for the tooooo early window to open up (instead of the wayyyyy too early window). If we can place a few more critical pieces like PK, LB, and/or any big-time get either in the 2nd signing day or a summer transfer, then this team could be looking at 12-0.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:21 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:13 am
MSU01 wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
jgrilley406 wrote:
Whether the cats make it to Frisco or not next year is gonna come down to cat/griz again…very few teams that make it play on the road in the semi’s and both cats and griz will be highly ranked yet again next brawl, so winner of that game will be going to Frisco yet again in 2024.
I agree with this.
No it wasn't, but you're not likely to catch lightning in a bottle like we did and get a semi at home with an 8 seed.
That's fair, as since the playoffs expanded to their current format in 2013 MSU in '21 is the only team to host a semifinal that wasn't seeded either #1, #2, or #3. However, at the same time it isn't a huge stretch by any means to envision a scenario in which the Cat/Griz loser still makes it to Frisco thanks to good play in the playoffs and maybe an upset or two in other games to give them an extra home game (or two) than their seeding would guarantee.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:58 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:21 pm
WalkOn79 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:13 am
MSU01 wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
jgrilley406 wrote:
I agree with this.
That's fair, as since the playoffs expanded to their current format in 2013 MSU in '21 is the only team to host a semifinal that wasn't seeded either #1, #2, or #3. However, at the same time it isn't a huge stretch by any means to envision a scenario in which the Cat/Griz loser still makes it to Frisco thanks to good play in the playoffs and maybe an upset or two in other games to give them an extra home game (or two) than their seeding would guarantee.
If a team can stay competitive in the MVFC and to a lesser extent the BSC, they can get an 8 seed or worse and still get there. NDSU was unseeded and ended up being an unlucky bounce away from going to Frisco, where anything could have happened. Home games matter for sure, but a really good team can sneak through with three regular season losses. It's kind of who's hot when and who's healthy for maybe 4 or so teams in the country anymore. SDSU did separate themselves, but I truly believe MSU, UM and NDSU were right there with as good a shot as anybody.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Re: Wayyyyyy to early 2024 predictions

Post by PapaG » Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:54 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:40 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:48 pm
PortlandCat90 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:26 pm
There's no way we should be discussing a National Championship and losing to UNM in the same paragraph. I've seen two final power polls where they sit no higher than 111 out of 133 FBS teams. Two of their four wins were against the last-place power poll team (UMass) and one was against Tennessee Tech. We should beat these guys by 2 TDs if we are the FCS powerhouse that we think we should be.

I'm going out there and saying that we finally protect Mellott like we should and are undefeated going into Cat-Griz.

I also predict my schedule will once again allow me to have the timely weekly Look-A-Like thread done by Sunday night each week, despite the loud cries of a few chosen stating that I am a bully for picking on young boys.
In this transfer portal era, rebuilds take far less time than they used to. Bronco Mendenhall COULD get some guys in there that make them instantly better. Not saying they're making the playoff, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think that a recognizable name could attract some talent there and potentially get them to, say, top 50. I'm not predicting this is going to happen, just saying it's not out of the realm of possibility, and if MSU loses to them it doesn't have to mean we don't have a chance to run the table after that. Should be a VERY winnable game though no matter what he brings in.
A new coach and a bunch of portal transfers can only do so much, especially for the first game of the season. If we can't beat a bottom 50 FBS team (and that's generous, bottom 30 is more likely) when we're as healthy as we'll be all year we'll have to reassess our ceiling. Win and an undefeated regular season is possible. Lose and it probably signals at least one FCS loss.
Using this logic, the Bobcats should have ended up with the #2 seed and played a competitive title game in Frisco since the first SDSU game in Brookings went to the final few plays and a replay decision.

Instead, they could t get out of their first playoff game against an NDSU team that SDSU “manhandled.”

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:51 pm

PapaG wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:54 pm
coloradocat wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
PortlandCat90 wrote:
There's no way we should be discussing a National Championship and losing to UNM in the same paragraph. I've seen two final power polls where they sit no higher than 111 out of 133 FBS teams. Two of their four wins were against the last-place power poll team (UMass) and one was against Tennessee Tech. We should beat these guys by 2 TDs if we are the FCS powerhouse that we think we should be.

I'm going out there and saying that we finally protect Mellott like we should and are undefeated going into Cat-Griz.

I also predict my schedule will once again allow me to have the timely weekly Look-A-Like thread done by Sunday night each week, despite the loud cries of a few chosen stating that I am a bully for picking on young boys.
In this transfer portal era, rebuilds take far less time than they used to. Bronco Mendenhall COULD get some guys in there that make them instantly better. Not saying they're making the playoff, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think that a recognizable name could attract some talent there and potentially get them to, say, top 50. I'm not predicting this is going to happen, just saying it's not out of the realm of possibility, and if MSU loses to them it doesn't have to mean we don't have a chance to run the table after that. Should be a VERY winnable game though no matter what he brings in.
A new coach and a bunch of portal transfers can only do so much, especially for the first game of the season. If we can't beat a bottom 50 FBS team (and that's generous, bottom 30 is more likely) when we're as healthy as we'll be all year we'll have to reassess our ceiling. Win and an undefeated regular season is possible. Lose and it probably signals at least one FCS loss.
Using this logic, the Bobcats should have ended up with the #2 seed and played a competitive title game in Frisco since the first SDSU game in Brookings went to the final few plays and a replay decision.

Instead, they could t get out of their first playoff game against an NDSU team that SDSU “manhandled.”
Yes, you're right, those two situations are exactly the same. :roll:
It's ironic that you used the word 'logic' at the beginning of your post.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:48 am

coloradocat wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:51 pm
PapaG wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
PortlandCat90 wrote:

I see what you're both saying. For me personally, no chance in hell will I write off the season and assume we can't make it to Frisco if we lose the first game of the season. :-k

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:15 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:48 am
coloradocat wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:51 pm
PapaG wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
PortlandCat90 wrote:

I see what you're both saying. For me personally, no chance in hell will I write off the season and assume we can't make it to Frisco if we lose the first game of the season. :-k
I'm with you. I think some people assume that 2024 is our year and we'll roll through the schedule. If we can't beat an FBS team that should be worse than some of the BSC teams on our schedule, that will probably not be the case. Doesn't mean we can't correct things and/or we can't still enter the playoffs with less than 2 FCS losses, but if we lose that opener we might not be the world-beaters we're hoping to be.

To be clear, I assume we'll win, but if we don't we can't just write it off as an FBS loss.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:24 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:48 am
Anyone who watched the UM/NAU game this past season should know how foolish it is to overvalue the results of a single game when evaluating a team's chances over the course of a full season. If MSU plays well and is competitive against New Mexico then I don't think the win/loss result will matter a whole lot by the end of the season. If MSU goes down there with its senior-heavy roster and gets blown out by UNM and their roster full of young players and transfer portal guys, that would be concerning.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:16 pm

If we find a good kicker then 10-2. If we don't then 8-4.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:26 pm

gtapp wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:16 pm
MSU was 0-2 in games decided by 3 or less. 8-1 in games decided by 12 points or more and smoked once. I think MSU needs to find a kicker but I doubt it has more than two games where the kicker might be a significant factor in 2024.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:13 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:26 pm
gtapp wrote:
MSU was 0-2 in games decided by 3 or less. 8-1 in games decided by 12 points or more and smoked once. I think MSU needs to find a kicker but I doubt it has more than two games where the kicker might be a significant factor in 2024.
10-2 to 8-4 is 2 games?

Sports is not bigger than life

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:14 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:13 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
gtapp wrote:
10-2 to 8-4 is 2 games?
12-0 to 10-2 is two games.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:38 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:14 pm
tetoncat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
gtapp wrote:
10-2 to 8-4 is 2 games?
So your arguing GTAPPs starting position and not the affect of a kicker.

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:06 am

I think its a bit presumptuous to assume ONLY MSU and um can win the BSC next season. Sac St did show some life at the end of the season. Next year they have to come to Bozeman but avoid the gris and get Davis at home. The other road games are Cal Poly, Idaho St and NAU and they have a couple winnable MWC games in the nonconference.

Weber St finally improved when they made the switch at QB last year but the losses on Defense and the O-line will be tough to replace. Idaho will be a huge ??? In my mind though the most interesting team outside of the Treasure St is ISU. If they are able to get better in the trenches they will be a real blister to some teams next season.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:34 am

tetoncat wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:38 am
TomCat88 wrote:
tetoncat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
gtapp wrote:
10-2 to 8-4 is 2 games?
Not arguing with him. I just don’t think MSU is going to have very many close games so I don’t think placekicks will be a factor but I agree that it’s good to have a good placekicker because there will probably be a random one. Nmsu is a wild card but I don’t think MSU will have many games decided by less than 14 points.

toM StUber

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:56 am

gtapp wrote:
I have an idea for a friendly wager if you or anyone else is interested. I'll give you $100 (or donate to MSU) if the Cats go 8-4, if you give $100 if they go 12-0?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:54 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:34 am
tetoncat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
tetoncat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
gtapp wrote:
10-2 to 8-4 is 2 games?
Not arguing with him. I just don’t think MSU is going to have very many close games so I don’t think placekicks will be a factor but I agree that it’s good to have a good placekicker because there will probably be a random one. Nmsu is a wild card but I don’t think MSU will have many games decided by less than 14 points.
Kind of like 2023. But interesting close games we had, SDSU, Idaho, and NDSU kicker made a difference.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:53 am

tetoncat wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:54 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
tetoncat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
tetoncat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
gtapp wrote:
10-2 to 8-4 is 2 games?
Kind of like 2023. But interesting close games we had, SDSU, Idaho, and NDSU kicker made a difference.
Unlike 2023. Based on the schedule and how good the Bobcats look, I’ll be surprised if MSU is in any games that the kicker is relied on to win or tie the game.

toM StUber

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:20 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:53 am
tetoncat wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:54 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
tetoncat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
tetoncat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
gtapp wrote:
10-2 to 8-4 is 2 games?
Unlike 2023. Based on the schedule and how good the Bobcats look, I’ll be surprised if MSU is in any games that the kicker is relied on to win or tie the game.
Hmmm, I certainly hope that's the case but I'm put money down we'll have at least on nail biter... especially in the playoffs.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!