Wayyyyyy too early 2024 predictions

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Wayyyyyy too early 2024 predictions

Post by Catsrgrood » Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:51 am

It’s January, the championship is over, the portal is closed, spring ball is months away. Boring season is upon us.

In lieu of that, here’s my way to early prediction on how next season might go:

@New Mexico- Cats win a close one and get back on track to be title contenders. I predict we’ll start the season ranked 6,7,8, but a win against an FBS opponent will help jump us up a couple spots right away.

@Utah Tech- W

Maine- W

SFA- W

@Idaho State- W

UNC- W

Idaho- W. I’m thinking they’ll still be pretty good even though they got decimated by the portal. Glad this one is at home.

@PSU- W, but it could be a tough one, I could see them being pretty competitive next year.

@EWU- W, never an easy game there, but I don’t see them being dramatically better than this year.

Sac St- W, but this is likely one of the 3-4 toughest games of the year, again, glad this one’s at home.

@UC Davis- L, they’ll be a solid team, but the game is sandwiched between two of the Cats toughest games of the year, on the road, wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a night game, I could see this being an L.

griz- W, forever and always a crapshoot. The Cats return a lot of seniors that that will want revenge for this year’s no-show. Top 2 seed very likely on the line again. I’m going with the current 4 year trend of the home team winning, potentially very comfortably.

2024 could be and should be the year the Cats do something. Huge senior class filled with both talent and experience. As myself and others have said in other threads, I’ve felt that we had a clear two year window to really make some noise, 2023 didn’t turn out like we wanted, 2024 still looks very promising.

I think the floor is 9-3, losing to New Mexico is obviously a strong possibility and maybe 2 more between Idaho, Sac St, UCD and the griz.

12-0 is the ceiling.
Last edited by Catsrgrood on Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Wayyyyyy to early 2024 predictions

Post by Montanabob » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:30 pm

unm just got tougher with a new coach and a new gunslinger

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Camo_Cat

Post by Camo_Cat » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:36 pm

While I had high hopes for 2023 and was definitely disappointed in the outcome, 2024 was always the year I was thinking would be ours. Even before this season started, and for a number of reasons.

First, I think most everyone would agree that 2023 was probably going to be SDSU's year. With the number of seniors they returned and the momentum they had, it was hard not to pick against them. Second, we were still somewhat young this year. I really always saw our senior leadership having a bigger impact in 2024 than in 2023. We only lost 12 seniors this year. Yes, losing guys like Omar and Valdez to the portal hurts, but we will have well over 20 seniors on the squad next year, including guys like Tommy, Danny U, Brody, Wehr, Sain, Justus, O'Reilly, JT Reed, Julius, Ortt, among others. Our o-line will be senior laden and should be the best in the Big Sky. Our d-line will be senior laden and well experienced. Throw in 13 juniors, and we have nearly 40 upperclassmen on the roster for 2024.

And lastly, we are entering year 4 with Coach Vigen. I always view the fourth year as probably the most significant year in terms of a coach building a program. Most of the athletes are now his recruits, and he feels comfortable running the schemes that best fit his style. Historically, year 4 has been good to the Cats. Choate had his best year in year 4, with an 11-4 record and a semifinal appearance. Ash saw his first playoff appearance with the Cats in year 4 with a 9-3 record and a conference title. Kramer won a conference title in year 4 with a trip to the playoffs.

Year 4 has always been good to us, and I am sure Vigen has a bitter taste in his mouth with the way this past season ended. Expect to see some nastiness out of our Bobcats this season.

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:12 pm

If Tommy plays a full season I'll predict that MSU goes 11-1, Big Sky Champs, and a Top 2 playoff seed. If Tommy gets hurt again...I'd rather not think about that in January.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:22 pm

We should expect to be undefeated on Halloween. After that it all comes down to how healthy the team is. All four November games should be tough and we'll need to be near full strength to win them.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by wapiti » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:04 pm

Here is my crack at it.

@New Mexico-L We lose a close one, but even against this lower level FBS team we are the underdog.

@Utah Tech- W

Maine- W

SFA- W

@Idaho State- W

UNC- W

Idaho- W.

@PSU- W, But this may be closer then we would like.

@EWU- W, I am thinking EWU will have a tough time to be as strong as they used to be, but I could be wrong.

Sac St- W, Sac appears to have lost some shine with the loss of their HC

@UC Davis- L, This could be a 50-50 game. I hope we get the ball last, because that could determine who wins.

griz- W, Being in Bozo town we should win this and Vigen learned from this years beat down.

That would put us at 10-2 and a top 5 seeding.

nanacat

Post by nanacat » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:16 pm

Not to be a Debbie Downer but I think the last time we played ISU there we lost. I was at the last game we played there, surrounded by orange and black, trash talking with the fans sitting around me, all in good fun of course, and screaming my head off while dressed in blue and gold. I truly don't remember the details of that game other than we lost. Therefore, with their new coach in his 2nd year, and players who actually believed this year, I'm not so sure that's a gimme.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:21 pm

nanacat wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:16 pm
Not to be a Debbie Downer but I think the last time we played ISU there we lost. I was at the last game we played there, surrounded by orange and black, trash talking with the fans sitting around me, all in good fun of course, and screaming my head off while dressed in blue and gold. I truly don't remember the details of that game other than we lost. Therefore, with their new coach in his 2nd year, and players who actually believed this year, I'm not so sure that's a gimme.
Pretty crazy that MSU hasn't been to Pocatello since 2018. MSU football has come a long way since then!

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:24 pm

FTG- GO CATS GO!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:50 pm

Our new OC may make me reconsider my prediction for the UNM game. After that he'll probably be fine, and have a handful of relatively easy games to find his flow, but having his first game calling plays come against an FBS team on the road may be too tall an order.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

nanacat

Post by nanacat » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:51 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:21 pm
nanacat wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:16 pm
Pretty crazy that MSU hasn't been to Pocatello since 2018. MSU football has come a long way since then!
It absolutely has come a very long ways since then! 2018, wow I truly couldn't remember what year it was. I know Troy was playing. Anyway, likely we'll win, but I'm just not sure we can count ISU out totally.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:27 am

unm trying to reload quick for new coach.
look at the OL beef he brought in for the new qb.
https://www.abqjournal.com/sports/unm-f ... h0HV7IUxpk

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:36 am

Montanabob wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:27 am
unm trying to reload quick for new coach.
look at the OL beef he brought in for the new qb.
https://www.abqjournal.com/sports/unm-f ... h0HV7IUxpk
Beef is an understatement.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:46 am

I never saw MB's post. I put their physical metrics on the duplicate post. Mod, please delete that post or move it at your discretion.

One can assume the majority of these young men are LDS of Polynesian descent. I have no idea whether they've gone on their mission as yet, however, given Mendenhall's prior experience as a coach and bringing in this type of linemen, it's going to be a very quick turnaround at New Mexico.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:00 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:46 am
I never saw MB's post. I put their physical metrics on the duplicate post. Mod, please delete that post or move it at your discretion.

One can assume the majority of these young men are LDS of Polynesian descent. I have no idea whether they've gone on their mission as yet, however, given Mendenhall's prior experience as a coach and bringing in this type of linemen, it's going to be a very quick turnaround at New Mexico.
Reading the names in the article, I'm pretty sure that none of them are of Polynesian descent...

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:48 pm

Cat Grad wrote:

Define turnaround. They’ve been 4-8, 2-10, 3-9, 2-5, 2-10, 3-9, 3-9, 9-4!, 7-6!, 4-8, 3-9, 4-9, 1-11, 1-11 going back to 2010. 2016 and 15 are the only winning seasons. The median is 3-9. So is the mode.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:30 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:48 pm
Cat Grad wrote:

Define turnaround. They’ve been 4-8, 2-10, 3-9, 2-5, 2-10, 3-9, 3-9, 9-4!, 7-6!, 4-8, 3-9, 4-9, 1-11, 1-11 going back to 2010. 2016 and 15 are the only winning seasons. The median is 3-9. So is the mode.
Jerry Kill took NMSU to a 10 win season, correct? Odom took UNLV to a 9 win season, correct? Given those previous seasons, I believe Mendenhall will help this group of kids to at least 7 wins. I realize all three of these coaches had good success with other programs and they've all enjoyed rebuilding programs. I know the kids Mendenhall has coached thinks the world of him as a person.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:01 pm

We lose a close one to UNM then run the table. A 2 seed and a run our 5th championship game appearance and 4th title!!

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

PortlandCat90
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by PortlandCat90 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:26 pm

There's no way we should be discussing a National Championship and losing to UNM in the same paragraph. I've seen two final power polls where they sit no higher than 111 out of 133 FBS teams. Two of their four wins were against the last-place power poll team (UMass) and one was against Tennessee Tech. We should beat these guys by 2 TDs if we are the FCS powerhouse that we think we should be.

I'm going out there and saying that we finally protect Mellott like we should and are undefeated going into Cat-Griz.

I also predict my schedule will once again allow me to have the timely weekly Look-A-Like thread done by Sunday night each week, despite the loud cries of a few chosen stating that I am a bully for picking on young boys.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:48 pm

PortlandCat90 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:26 pm
There's no way we should be discussing a National Championship and losing to UNM in the same paragraph. I've seen two final power polls where they sit no higher than 111 out of 133 FBS teams. Two of their four wins were against the last-place power poll team (UMass) and one was against Tennessee Tech. We should beat these guys by 2 TDs if we are the FCS powerhouse that we think we should be.

I'm going out there and saying that we finally protect Mellott like we should and are undefeated going into Cat-Griz.

I also predict my schedule will once again allow me to have the timely weekly Look-A-Like thread done by Sunday night each week, despite the loud cries of a few chosen stating that I am a bully for picking on young boys.
In this transfer portal era, rebuilds take far less time than they used to. Bronco Mendenhall COULD get some guys in there that make them instantly better. Not saying they're making the playoff, but I don't think it's unreasonable to think that a recognizable name could attract some talent there and potentially get them to, say, top 50. I'm not predicting this is going to happen, just saying it's not out of the realm of possibility, and if MSU loses to them it doesn't have to mean we don't have a chance to run the table after that. Should be a VERY winnable game though no matter what he brings in.