National Championship Postives

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Re: National Championship Postives

Post by PapaG » Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:09 pm

Vamos Gatos Vamos wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:58 pm
The schedule the Cats played was brutal, I wonder how it ranks in the FCS? Lost on the road to # 1 & 2 , Idaho, and at home to likely #3. If you have to lose 4 games at least they were to most of the very best teams in the FCS. That's a sad consolation, but they did lose to some great teams.

The Griz Schedule could not have been kinder to them. Since Oct 28 the Griz played 7 games – 6 at home & 1 away against PSU - & they took advantage of it. They had 2 playoff wins in overtime & relied on special teams like they always do. You can't let special teams beat you! Then they went back on the road and lost. It's hard to beat a great team on the road.

I know the Cats lose some studs & so far the portal taketh, but I'm confident we'll be a better team next year. Go Cats!
That’s basically my sentiments as well. The Gris obviously earned their spot in Frisco, but their playoff path there wasn’t exactly a dominant run with the mediocre offense, good defense, and almost unbelievable special teams play in the return game that won two games for them. I understand there are three facets including STs, but it seems fluky to win close games that way.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Vamos Gatos Vamos
New Recruit

Post by Vamos Gatos Vamos » Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:30 pm

PapaG wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:09 pm
Vamos Gatos Vamos wrote:
The schedule the Cats played was brutal, I wonder how it ranks in the FCS? Lost on the road to # 1 & 2 , Idaho, and at home to likely #3. If you have to lose 4 games at least they were to most of the very best teams in the FCS. That's a sad consolation, but they did lose to some great teams.

The Griz Schedule could not have been kinder to them. Since Oct 28 the Griz played 7 games – 6 at home & 1 away against PSU - & they took advantage of it. They had 2 playoff wins in overtime & relied on special teams like they always do. You can't let special teams beat you! Then they went back on the road and lost. It's hard to beat a great team on the road.

I know the Cats lose some studs & so far the portal taketh, but I'm confident we'll be a better team next year. Go Cats!
That’s basically my sentiments as well. The Gris obviously earned their spot in Frisco, but their playoff path there wasn’t exactly a dominant run with the mediocre offense, good defense, and almost unbelievable special teams play in the return game that won two games for them. I understand there are three facets including STs, but it seems fluky to win close games that way.
While I agree 100% I wonder what I'd say if the Cats were running kicks back......

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:33 pm

Vamos Gatos Vamos wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:30 pm
PapaG wrote:
Vamos Gatos Vamos wrote:

While I agree 100% I wonder what I'd say if the Cats were running kicks back......
I think why people tend to discount ST, as far as scoring goes, is because they should be easy to avoid. There is pretty much no reason that a really good punt returner should ever even get a shot. Kick it OOB even if it costs you a few yards. KR are a little more relevant since you can't always count on a kicker drilling it through the endzone(even Hall dropped one short to Bergen).

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

Vamos Gatos Vamos
New Recruit

Post by Vamos Gatos Vamos » Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:55 pm

technoCat wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:33 pm
Vamos Gatos Vamos wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:30 pm
PapaG wrote:
Vamos Gatos Vamos wrote:

I think why people tend to discount ST, as far as scoring goes, is because they should be easy to avoid. There is pretty much no reason that a really good punt returner should ever even get a shot. Kick it OOB even if it costs you a few yards. KR are a little more relevant since you can't always count on a kicker drilling it through the endzone(even Hall dropped one short to Bergen).
Like SDSU did.....

Lord Vigo
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Lord Vigo » Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:32 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:49 pm
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:18 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:35 pm
84CatGrad wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:15 pm
They have 34 seniors, dunno how many still have a year left. I was disheartened to hear that Gronowski has another year if he so chooses.
Gronowski might be the most overrated player in the FCS.
Name an FCS team he could transfer to where he isn't the starter immediately. And let me save it for you: we're not one of them.
I’d take Tommy over him. I think Gronowski is good, but he certainly benefits from having a lot of great talent around him.
There’s no doubt he’s very good. But I heard a lot about him in the media before I ever saw him. People talked about him being elite, and with a lot of awe. Then I watched him. He’s good but he isn’t special by any means.