Hope MSU is taking notes on this game

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

MountainCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Hope MSU is taking notes on this game

Post by MountainCat » Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:40 pm

Watching SDSU and Montana play, there is a clear difference in these defenses versus ours. The Linebacker speed for both teams is so clearly faster and more aggressive than ours, safety support is a notch better too. I sure hope our Co-DC tandem is watching this game and taking notes right now….

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Re: Hope MSU is taking notes on this game

Post by catatac » Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:59 pm

MountainCat wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:40 pm
Watching SDSU and Montana play, there is a clear difference in these defenses versus ours. The Linebacker speed for both teams is so clearly faster and more aggressive than ours, safety support is a notch better too. I sure hope our Co-DC tandem is watching this game and taking notes right now….
Our defense played pretty good against SDSU. We'll see how this game unfolds and the can look back and see if there is a drastic difference in how good our D played against them versus the Griz D.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:36 pm

I think the gris’ aggressiveness makes them look faster, which I don’t think is the case. I just hope we play that way next year, aggressive, aggressive, aggressive. No deep zone coverage, sure you will get beat sometimes, but you will also speed up the QBs decision making process. The cats just need to get in the weight room and train hard, because we have the guys for the most part to be in Frisco on a regular basis.

If your left, you aren’t right.

jgrilley406
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jgrilley406 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:41 pm

catatac wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:59 pm
MountainCat wrote:
Our defense played pretty good against SDSU. We'll see how this game unfolds and the can look back and see if there is a drastic difference in how good our D played against them versus the Griz D.
Ya but couldn’t get Idaho off the field and had too many missed tackles against the griz…griz get help from special teams and defense SDSU is solid at all three cats at times only could rely on their offense. Cats need to be better at all three phases offense defense and special teams

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:51 pm

jgrilley406 wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:41 pm
catatac wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:59 pm
MountainCat wrote:
Ya but couldn’t get Idaho off the field and had too many missed tackles against the griz…griz get help from special teams and defense SDSU is solid at all three cats at times only could rely on their offense. Cats need to be better at all three phases offense defense and special teams
Totally agree, and we need to be better at developing quality depth at every position, even though we are relatively good there when stacked up against most teams in the country. My post we mainly calling out that when healthy (like the Griz were today according to Bobby) we played SDSU better than UM. Agree though, did not play well against UM and ID and being banged up in those games should not be an excuse.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

MountainCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by MountainCat » Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:00 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:36 pm
I think the gris’ aggressiveness makes them look faster, which I don’t think is the case. I just hope we play that way next year, aggressive, aggressive, aggressive. No deep zone coverage, sure you will get beat sometimes, but you will also speed up the QBs decision making process. The cats just need to get in the weight room and train hard, because we have the guys for the most part to be in Frisco on a regular basis.
Not saying you’re wrong about them “looking faster”, it’s would be pretty hard to put a measuring stick of any kind on it. But, my eyes tell me they are faster, more aggressive, and simply better disciplined on assignments. Hoping the Cats can find someone to step up and add another level this fall, we really need an enforcer type (or two) behind the D-line and we definitely do not currently have him on the team.

bpcats20
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by bpcats20 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:40 pm

Both Griz and SDSU had more speed at LB than the Cats.

Danny U is very good at diagnosing triggering to play and makes tackles when he get there so it can make up for any lack of speed.

Think McCade will be much better next year- put himself in position to make a lot of plays but didn’t tackle when he got there.

Do need more speed though. Safety speed at linebacker…especially with 4-2-5 defense. Need three solid backups rolling in to keep fresh legs

jgrilley406
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jgrilley406 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:49 pm

bpcats20 wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:40 pm

Danny U is very good at diagnosing triggering to play and makes tackles when he get there so it can make up for any lack of speed.

Think McCade will be much better next year- put himself in position to make a lot of plays but didn’t tackle when he got there.

Do need more speed though. Safety speed at linebacker…especially with 4-2-5 defense. Need three solid backups rolling in to keep fresh legs
Comes down to it SDSU is the most solid team at three phases, offense defense and special teams. Cats relied mostly on the offense and when the offense struggled cats were in trouble, griz were solid on defense and special teams mostly and the offense did enough in most games to win games. Cats are close but need to make steps on defense and special teams to win it next year.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:16 am

It’s football, not rocket science. I’m sure MSU’s coaches and every D1 coach in the country knows the different schemes and types of players there are.

MSU didn’t lose because it was bad on defense at LB. It lost because a replay official screwed up, players dropped passes vs Idaho and kickers couldn’t make FGs and xps vs NDSU. The loss at UM was a threefold fiasco.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

nanacat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by nanacat » Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:13 am

jgrilley406 wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:49 pm
bpcats20 wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:40 pm

Comes down to it SDSU is the most solid team at three phases, offense defense and special teams. Cats relied mostly on the offense and when the offense struggled cats were in trouble, griz were solid on defense and special teams mostly and the offense did enough in most games to win games. Cats are close but need to make steps on defense and special teams to win it next year.
This is very true, and I'm hopeful the coaches see that too and make the necessary adjustments. I'm sure they were all watching this game, players too. Had to be tough as a player knowing we had the Jacks beat, lost to UM, then saw them do nothing on the national stage. Motivation for next season? You betcha!