Scouting Grant Vigen

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Scouting Grant Vigen

Post by catatac » Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:33 pm

I saw an xmas pic of the Vigen family somewhere on the interwebs. Wow, Grant looks huge. I think he was listed at 6' 6" 200 but he looked bigger than that standing with the rest of his family. Anyway, I'm assuming he's a legit D1 QB prospect. Is it a given he'll be playing for the Cats, or going bigger? Just wondering what the early reports on him are.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Scouting Grant Vigen

Post by GoCats18 » Mon Dec 25, 2023 4:54 pm

Heard rumor he is being heavily recruited on a bowling scholarship to the University of Alabama Commonwealth.

Punters are people too!!

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Mon Dec 25, 2023 5:49 pm

It would be interesting to see him split time at TE, big frame, and athletic.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:45 am

https://247sports.com/player/grant-vigen-46140981/

3*
82 composite rating

Legit DI prospect, yes. Big arm and can move in the pocket. DE prospect as well.
Not seeing any offers at the moment?

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:04 pm

If I remember correctly, Grant can "walk on" at MSU and not count toward the scholarship limit since his full cost of attendance is already free as long has his dad remains HC.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:13 pm

CatBot wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:04 pm
If I remember correctly, Grant can "walk on" at MSU and not count toward the scholarship limit since his full cost of attendance is already free as long has his dad remains HC.
Full cost of attendance is free for coaches kids? That's a pretty sweet deal.

I think University system employees only get 1/2 of tuition discounted for their kids, which works out to be about $4k/year. I think the full cost of attendance is around $26k for Montana residents.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:57 pm

Austin Barth comp. would be best outcome. Still don't think he's there yet. Austin played QB in the Flathead before transitioning to TE at MSU. Put on the weight and finished his career as a vital piece of those early 2010 teams.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Prodigal Cat

Post by Prodigal Cat » Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:18 pm

No way the kid is only 6'6". He's got 3-5" on dad and Brent is a solid 6'4"+.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:32 pm

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:18 pm
No way the kid is only 6'6". He's got 3-5" on dad and Brent is a solid 6'4"+.
That's exactly what I was thinking... seems like Brent almost always towers over the players in the recruiting pics, and Grant is completely towering over him in that pic, lol.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Camo_Cat

Post by Camo_Cat » Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:56 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:13 pm
CatBot wrote:

I think University system employees only get 1/2 of tuition discounted for their kids, which works out to be about $4k/year. I think the full cost of attendance is around $26k for Montana residents.
@wbtfg - you are correct on the 1/2 tuition discount for employees of the Montana University System. And the MUS employee has to be employed for 5 years or more. Unless there is an exception to that rule for athletics head coaches, I would assume that 1/2 tuition discount applies to Grant as well. But maybe that's something in his contract?

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:08 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:56 pm
wbtfg wrote:
CatBot wrote:

@wbtfg - you are correct on the 1/2 tuition discount for employees of the Montana University System. And the MUS employee has to be employed for 5 years or more. Unless there is an exception to that rule for athletics head coaches, I would assume that 1/2 tuition discount applies to Grant as well. But maybe that's something in his contract?
It's 5 years now? Woof....

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:46 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:08 pm
Camo_Cat wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:56 pm
wbtfg wrote:
CatBot wrote:

It's 5 years now? Woof....
It was 5 years. That was changed recently by BOR to be 120 calendar days to utilize the dependent waiver.

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:21 pm

From watching him this year...

Pros:
-Big Frame
-Very strong arm
-Can throw every pass route
-Very good pocket presence, and able to move feet well when facing rush and pressure

Cons:
-Tries to use arm strength to "fit" passes into spots he shouldn't
-focuses on one route too often, even if covered
-lacks patience when routes are building
-Inconstant at times with open throws

NOW... With that all said, the kid was just a Junior last year, and it was his 1st starts at a new school. Gallatin didn't run an offense that catered to the WR's and QB's all that well (very heavy running team, with 50/50 balls to Quinn). He has all the talent and size you could dream of, but was subject to a "Bobcat" style offense, with a running QB, and a passing QB, so defenses knew what was coming. Even with that usage, he still has 72 Completions for 1400 yards and 22 TD's last year. That ranked him 7th in AA, with less attempts and completions that anyone else in the top 10. Passing TD's would be 3rd in AA behind Presley (Glacier 5 star QB) and Harrison ( AA Offensive Player of the Year). He and Presley will be the best 2 QB's in the State next year, and there might not be a close 3rd..

FYI- Been told that Presley has offers from Texas A&M, Florida State, and a couple other Power 5 programs.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:25 pm

SACCAT wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:21 pm
From watching him this year...

Pros:
-Big Frame
-Very strong arm
-Can throw every pass route
-Very good pocket presence, and able to move feet well when facing rush and pressure

Cons:
-Tries to use arm strength to "fit" passes into spots he shouldn't
-focuses on one route too often, even if covered
-lacks patience when routes are building
-Inconstant at times with open throws

NOW... With that all said, the kid was just a Junior last year, and it was his 1st starts at a new school. Gallatin didn't run an offense that catered to the WR's and QB's all that well (very heavy running team, with 50/50 balls to Quinn). He has all the talent and size you could dream of, but was subject to a "Bobcat" style offense, with a running QB, and a passing QB, so defenses knew what was coming. Even with that usage, he still has 72 Completions for 1400 yards and 22 TD's last year. That ranked him 7th in AA, with less attempts and completions that anyone else in the top 10. Passing TD's would be 3rd in AA behind Presley (Glacier 5 star QB) and Harrison ( AA Offensive Player of the Year). He and Presley will be the best 2 QB's in the State next year, and there might not be a close 3rd..

FYI- Been told that Presley has offers from Texas A&M, Florida State, and a couple other Power 5 programs.
He has the inside track to QB at MSU, but..... can he run the ball and block?

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back