JMU falls back down to earth

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

JMU falls back down to earth

Post by aucat » Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:47 pm

Thanks AIr Force for closing the mouths of all those JMU fans who a few weeks ago hilariously thought they should be headed for the FBS CFP.
So JMU leaves the FCS, joins a cupcake conference and plays a bunch of cupcakes, and presto, we have ESPN GameDay on hand calling them one of the greatest teams in the country. Yeah, right. The thing is, if JMU was still in FCS they would indeed have been a force and would probably be in Frisco.
But in the meantime enjoy your fall back to earth and having "mighty" Air Force hand your butts to you. I believe AF had about 350 yards rushing to JMU's 40 or so. Wow. What a powerhouse. Way to go Air Force! FLY. FLIGHT. WIN!

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: JMU falls back down to earth

Post by GoCats18 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:41 pm

Considering that they had like 14 players enter the portal and the Head Coach depart for a new job, they didn’t do that bad. Better than Eastern Michigan played today.

Punters are people too!!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:13 am

If only one day we could play in a bowl game that no one cares about.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:04 am

I believe I heard during the game that JMU's Quarterback had already entered the portal, and was playing his final game for JMU. Interesting approach to play someone who had already entered the portal.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:22 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:13 am
So far my favs might be Famous Toastery Bowl, Scooter's Coffee Frisco Bowl, RoofClaim.com Boca Raton Bowl. Too many to chose from.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:39 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:41 pm
Considering that they had like 14 players enter the portal and the Head Coach depart for a new job, they didn’t do that bad. Better than Eastern Michigan played today.
They were basically at full strength. Seven guys who played yesterday are portaling with the coach to Indiana, though. Also, had they all sat out, what would be the point of a Montana State going 11-1, playing in some garbage bowl, and fans paying money to travel and see the best players sit out? At least in FCS, even players who plan on transferring play in the postseason games.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

chadtothebone
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by chadtothebone » Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:59 pm

RickRund wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:22 pm
wbtfg wrote:
So far my favs might be Famous Toastery Bowl, Scooter's Coffee Frisco Bowl, RoofClaim.com Boca Raton Bowl. Too many to chose from.
I don’t know. The Pop Tarts sounds quite……delicious. At least from I what from my college years

Ty Gregorak- "Football is as American as a Dad chasing his kids with power tools"

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:08 pm

chadtothebone wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:59 pm
RickRund wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:22 pm
wbtfg wrote:
I don’t know. The Pop Tarts sounds quite……delicious. At least from I what from my college years
If I am a senior with no pro football future or a scrub with no chance of playing other than we all dress at the Chick Fil A Bowl or Cheez-It Bowl, I’m gaining 10 pounds that week, no problem.

What a ride

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:01 pm

Well, if the west coast can rise, so can the east coast. To each his own. The Shenandoah Valley in Virginia or any of the Washington or Oregon locations? Beats the hell out of what happened to the pac...

Hell, Cal and Stanford are paying how many million dollars a year to be in the ACC? They're paying that conference to not be affiliated with Oregon or Washington.

https://theathletic.com/5153125/2023/12 ... -football/

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:12 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:01 pm
Well, if the west coast can rise, so can the east coast. To each his own. The Shenandoah Valley in Virginia or any of the Washington or Oregon locations? Beats the hell out of what happened to the pac...

Hell, Cal and Stanford are paying how many million dollars a year to be in the ACC? They're paying that conference to not be affiliated with Oregon or Washington.

Yeah, why be in the Big Ten when you can be in an ACC that Florida State is suing to leave in part because they took in Cal and Stanford?

What a ride

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:14 am

PapaG wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:12 pm
Cat Grad wrote:

Yeah, why be in the Big Ten when you can be in an ACC that Florida State is suing to leave in part because they took in Cal and Stanford?
The Big 10 did not want either psuedo Ivy Plus schools (Remember, the Stanford president had to step down for contrived data and unfortunately, he was cited over 600 times in various studies).

Both have to pay the ACC 12 million per year to belong to the ACC instead of sharing their profits (not too much larger per team than the MWC pays per year). The ACC was most gracious in letting them join for that small price (check both schools Endowments. They can afford to pay a conference). Glad they are as neither schools wanted th be affiliated with or associated with Oregon and Washington's Land Grant schools. To continue would be, we'll, beneath them.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:31 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:14 am
PapaG wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

The Big 10 did not want either psuedo Ivy Plus schools (Remember, the Stanford president had to step down for contrived data and unfortunately, he was cited over 600 times in various studies).

Both have to pay the ACC 12 million per year to belong to the ACC instead of sharing their profits (not too much larger per team than the MWC pays per year). The ACC was most gracious in letting them join for that small price (check both schools Endowments. They can afford to pay a conference). Glad they are as neither schools wanted th be affiliated with or associated with Oregon and Washington's Land Grant schools. To continue would be, we'll, beneath them.
Not sure what you are talking about. Cal and Stanford are taking a reduced cut of the ACC TV package, not paying the ACC for membership.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:08 pm

onceacat wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:31 am
Cat Grad wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

Not sure what you are talking about. Cal and Stanford are taking a reduced cut of the ACC TV package, not paying the ACC for membership.
I stand corrected as to the media revenue sharing. They'll get, what? About 8 to 9 million from the ACC t.v. deal (MWC is a bit more than 7 million but...). In the final analysis, better for them to belong to the ACC than the lowly Mountain West.

https://www.columbian.com/news/2023/sep ... -survival/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/c ... 739725007/

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Dec 25, 2023 4:50 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

So now they’re associated with land grant universities in North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia. OK then

What a ride

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Dec 25, 2023 6:28 pm

PapaG wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 4:50 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

So now they’re associated with land grant universities in North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia. OK then
And on a brighter note of idiocy, the PAC 2 schools are paying the MWC 14 million each, I believe I read that someplace, to fill out their schedule. And yep, the Psuedo Ivy Plus schools of the late, great pac are both going to the ACC rather than associate with the likes of Oregon State and WAZZU. That's the higher order thinking skills of those who brought about the collapse of the pac at work and the belittling tone of the OP that started this thread minimizing the accomplishments of that school in Virginia, James Madison. Look what an education gets you: fraudulent and plagiarized studies will get you a position to lead a school such as Stanford or Harvard...

And absolutely destroy any sense of regional competitive sports leagues. Asinine. The pac schools heading for the Big 10 and 12 are going to have about as much success as Nebraska has had leaving for the Big 10 or Colorado had in the pac. Brilliant minds running those institutions.

84CatGrad

Post by 84CatGrad » Mon Dec 25, 2023 6:34 pm

Every year I send a list of actual bowl games to my buddies. I add one fake bowl game and ask if they can spot it. Here's the list. Can you spot the fake bowl game? No cheating.

MYRTLE BEACH BOWL
CRICKET CELEBRATION BOWL
R+L CARRIERS NEW ORLEANS BOWL
AVOCADOS FROM MEXICO CURE BOWL
ISLETA NEW MEXICO BOWL
STARCO BRANDS LA BOWL HOSTED BY GRONK
RADIANCE TECHNOLOGIES INDEPENDENCE BOWL
FAMOUS TOASTERY BOWL
SCOOTER'S COFFEE FRISCO BOWL
ROOFCLAIM.COM BOCA RATON BOWL
UNION HOME MORTGAGE GASPARILLA BOWL
GODADDY HERSHEY’S CHOCOLATE BOWL
CAMELLIA BOWL
76 BIRMINGHAM BOWL
LOCKHEED MARTIN ARMED FORCES BOWL
FAMOUS IDAHO POTATO BOWL
68 VENTURES BOWL
SRS DISTRIBUTION LAS VEGAS BOWL
EASYPOST HAWAI'I BOWL
QUICK LANE BOWL
SERVPRO FIRST RESPONDER BOWL
GUARANTEED RATE BOWL
MILITARY BOWL PRESENTED BY GOBOWLING.COM
DUKE'S MAYO BOWL
DIRECTV HOLIDAY BOWL
TAXACT TEXAS BOWL
WASABI FENWAY BOWL
BAD BOY MOWERS PINSTRIPE BOWL
POP-TARTS BOWL
VALERO ALAMO BOWL
TAXSLAYER GATOR BOWL
TONY THE TIGER SUN BOWL
AUTOZONE LIBERTY BOWL
GOODYEAR COTTON BOWL CLASSIC
CHICK-FIL-A PEACH BOWL
TRANSPERFECT MUSIC CITY BOWL
CAPITAL ONE ORANGE BOWL
BARSTOOL SPORTS ARIZONA BOWL
RELIAQUEST BOWL
VRBO FIESTA BOWL
CHEEZ-IT CITRUS BOWL
ROSE BOWL GAME PRESENTED BY PRUDENTIAL
ALLSTATE SUGAR BOWL

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:58 pm

yeah, no.
my first 20 guesses were real bowls.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

RockyBearCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RockyBearCat » Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:40 am

I think I have it figured out. At least if my search was correct.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:21 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:08 pm
onceacat wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:31 am
Cat Grad wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

I stand corrected as to the media revenue sharing. They'll get, what? About 8 to 9 million from the ACC t.v. deal (MWC is a bit more than 7 million but...). In the final analysis, better for them to belong to the ACC than the lowly Mountain West.

https://www.columbian.com/news/2023/sep ... -survival/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/c ... 739725007/
The MWC TV contract is +/- $4m per school per year, not $7. Plus the conference revenues for the Bowl system in general & the BCS championship in particular is massively larger for the ACC than the MWC.

And, for the record, Stanford/Cal will now be playing against land-grant universities like Clemson & Virginia Tech instead of land grant colleges like Arizona, OSU & WSU. I guess I can't really see the point about land grant colleges either.

Anyway, I think the whole system is a mess. Hope that WSU & OSU can do something to salvage the shambles of the Pac 12 & help make the MWC more relevant...but I'm not sure how that works without the big TV & bowl payouts.

aucat

Post by aucat » Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:29 am

I keep waiting for the Kohler Toilet Bowl. But no city is interested in hosting it.