2024 Offense. No new quarterbacks.

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2024 Offense. No new quarterbacks.

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:40 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:54 pm
Long Time Cat wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:44 pm
Watching some of these bowl games and how most QB's, even good running QBs, slide or run out of bounds before taking big hits makes me wonder if Tommy can learn to do that. I know he's super smart so I'm sure he can but should he learn to do that? It seems to me that he should if he wants to increase his odds to last the season but can you fundamentally change the way he plays and have him be as effective? I have more questions than answers but would love to see him be able to play his senior season without serious injury.
He tried to slide two years ago in Cheney and got creamed for it.
Tommy's kryptonite is sliding...for whatever reason. Maybe needs to take up some rec league softball and get on the base paths!

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

CatAttack22
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by CatAttack22 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:10 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:40 pm
WalkOn79 wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
Watching some of these bowl games and how most QB's, even good running QBs, slide or run out of bounds before taking big hits makes me wonder if Tommy can learn to do that. I know he's super smart so I'm sure he can but should he learn to do that? It seems to me that he should if he wants to increase his odds to last the season but can you fundamentally change the way he plays and have him be as effective? I have more questions than answers but would love to see him be able to play his senior season without serious injury.
Tommy's kryptonite is sliding...for whatever reason. Maybe needs to take up some rec league softball and get on the base paths!
In the past, Housewright has mentioned that he doesn't teach sliding. He has mentioned that he prefers the QB's to learn how to not take direct blows and dive when necassary. Watching games, I agree with him. Sliding opens up your chest to get hit. It can knock your helmet back into the dirt similar to the Tommy's injury at Eastern. It also puts the legs into an awkward placement under the body. You also lose yards from the sliding motion with spots. I'm surprised there's not more systems that teach QB's to dive forward and avoid direct hits by spinning or ducking low. It seems like the more logical solution than sliding.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:45 pm

CatAttack22 wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:10 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
In the past, Housewright has mentioned that he doesn't teach sliding. He has mentioned that he prefers the QB's to learn how to not take direct blows and dive when necassary. Watching games, I agree with him. Sliding opens up your chest to get hit. It can knock your helmet back into the dirt similar to the Tommy's injury at Eastern. It also puts the legs into an awkward placement under the body. You also lose yards from the sliding motion with spots. I'm surprised there's not more systems that teach QB's to dive forward and avoid direct hits by spinning or ducking low. It seems like the more logical solution than sliding.
Tommy's version of sliding is to do a half spin and try to back his way to another yard or two. It seems to mostly just result in taking hard hits facing backwards rather than forwards which I suppose is better.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:22 am

I know there’s some dudes on here that are capable of solving my question. With Mellot at QB, what’s the number of RB rushing attempts compared to QB attempts. What’s the same question with Chambers at QB? Now, knowing those numbers…..what’s the yards per carry for the team, Mellot v Chambers?

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:31 am

94VegasCat wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:22 am
I know there’s some dudes on here that are capable of solving my question. With Mellot at QB, what’s the number of RB rushing attempts compared to QB attempts. What’s the same question with Chambers at QB? Now, knowing those numbers…..what’s the yards per carry for the team, Mellot v Chambers?
I looked it up a while ago, I want to say I remember the RB’s combining for around 25 carries a game and Tommy averaging about 10 a game.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:44 am

coloradocat wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:45 pm
CatAttack22 wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:10 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
Tommy's version of sliding is to do a half spin and try to back his way to another yard or two. It seems to mostly just result in taking hard hits facing backwards rather than forwards which I suppose is better.
Needs to watch video of Fran Tarkenton. He played about 15 seasons before getting hurt and he ran a lot. He said that he knew how to keep from taking full shots from defenders. Led the nfl in rushing yards by a quarterback when retired.

MSU - 16 team National Champions (most recent 2024); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber